March 28, 2024, 07:00:04 AM

Author Topic: Warren Archibald  (Read 37590 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warren Archibald
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »
This may not be the best post for this is just that since it have so much Point men on here i'll give it a try,does anyone know anything about Keith Douglas,this guy played with Defence Force one year and was such an influence in my career as a player,he left DF and i never heard about him again just he still living in Point,if anyone have any contacts for him please PM me,ph,email,address etc it will be greatly apprecaited.

Ah hear de man does live ah rell quiet life. He does mostly be seen going tuh de mosque. Doh relly be on de football scene.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What's the scoop on Warren Archibald?
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2011, 07:44:51 PM »
I met one of his relatives recently and heard he was a big thing in the 1970s.

Please educate me.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What's the scoop on Warren Archibald?
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »
One of the best left wing/forward EVER produced in TT from mid 60s/70s. If there was a best X1 of TT, he will be on that squad as far as I am concerned. Played for St Benedict college in TT, NY Generals, Washington Darts, Miami Toros. I think(almost sure) he was NASL MVP one year. Was in the NASl same time with Delroy Scott, Skill Cole, Phillipe Vorbe,etc.

Short man will great burst of speed and acceleration. Kick well with both feet even though he is right footed. Excellent crosser of the ball from both wings. In my time, when Archie had the ball the crowd would stand because is beat and speed. Total exciting player. Was on the TT team that missed out in 1974 WC qualification in Haiti. From deep south, when that area use to produce players like mangoes on a tree in rainy season.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »
Pele consider Warren one of the best wingers he had ever seen and he has seen and played with some of them.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:57 AM »
i agree with Deeks.

Archie was tears once he pick up. The Dilly, Archie, Cave trio, was one of the deadliest  in T&T football, pure excitement.

LEGEND!!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2011, 06:48:15 AM »
He could have also been the president of Haiti if he wanted to be, they loved him that much there....  :rotfl:

See Link for story on 73 team
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »
A LEGEND.

I saw him do something I have'nt seen since.He over ran a pull stones pass on the goal line just inside the six yard box on the left side of the goal, back heel it onto an unrushing French Guiana player in the Oval and in his natural stride of going after the ball it came off his shine and into the goal.We won 4-1.     
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:19:53 AM by royal »

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »
One of the best left wing/forward EVER produced in TT from mid 60s/70s. If there was a best X1 of TT, he will be on that squad as far as I am concerned. Played for St Benedict college in TT, NY Generals, Washington Darts, Miami Toros. I think(almost sure) he was NASL MVP one year. Was in the NASl same time with Delroy Scott, Skill Cole, Phillipe Vorbe,etc.

Short man will great burst of speed and acceleration. Kick well with both feet even though he is right footed. Excellent crosser of the ball from both wings. In my time, when Archie had the ball the crowd would stand because is beat and speed. Total exciting player. Was on the TT team that missed out in 1974 WC qualification in Haiti. From deep south, when that area use to produce players like mangoes on a tree in rainy season.

Deeks ah feel yuh hadda start to comprise dat Best XI. Lets see where some of these players, both old and new stand up overall. :beermug:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
He could have also been the president of Haiti if he wanted to be, they loved him that much there....  :rotfl:

Sometime in the late eighties I on a street in Miami. Ah Haitian gentleman hear my accent and ask if I from Trinidad. Football talk startup and the first thing the man ask me is about Warren Archibald.
Me...surprised..who? Yuh mean Russel latapy?
Him..shocked...who? No Warren Archibald!
Me..yeah? Never heard of him. (I became a National team ball peong only from the early eighties)

The man then proceeded to tell me all about the greatest footballer he has ever seen (Archibald)and how good our '73 team was and how Haitians love Archibald yadda, yadda, yadda......

That was the first time I had heard of him and the exploits of that team. Since come to find out that all the man was saying was true, and any Haitian I meet since then that into football knows Archibald. Apparently, the '73 team and Warren Archibald in particular seriously impressed in Haiti.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »
I too can testify that anytime football talk come up with de Haitian Breddas once dey pass a certain age de fus ting does come out dey mouth is Warren Archie. This especially rings tru when they have seen both Archie and Latas and give Archie as de best ting outta TnT.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2011, 10:40:07 AM »
I think someone needs to start a poll/thread for who was T&T's greatest ever midfield general!?

Will be interesting to see where Latas would place in such a poll!  ;)

Pity we don't have video footage of all our mid-field generals in action to compare and so the younger ones can really see for themselves so we can get a fair result!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:06:18 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
Midfield General- Carlton Franco and Gally Cummings.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »

Sometime in the late eighties I on a street in Miami. Ah Haitian gentleman hear my accent and ask if I from Trinidad. Football talk startup and the first thing the man ask me is about Warren Archibald.
Me...surprised..who? Yuh mean Russel latapy?
Him..shocked...who? No Warren Archibald!
Me..yeah? Never heard of him. (I became a National team ball peong only from the early eighties)

The man then proceeded to tell me all about the greatest footballer he has ever seen (Archibald)and how good our '73 team was and how Haitians love Archibald yadda, yadda, yadda......

That was the first time I had heard of him and the exploits of that team. Since come to find out that all the man was saying was true, and any Haitian I meet since then that into football knows Archibald. Apparently, the '73 team and Warren Archibald in particular seriously impressed in Haiti.

yeah he's a legend in Haiti too ah dunno how,if its just bcuz of that '73 tournament?

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
This is tough, but let me take a stab of an all-time T&T team.

Shaka/Lincoln

T. Delabastide/Tesheira         S. Murren   Maraldo       Rondon/W. Phillips

Yorke     Latapy/Deleon   Cummings/Franco   A. Corneal

S. David       W. Archilbald

I did not see Matthew Nunes and Squeaky Hinds.  I know many may not agree with Winston Phillips, but his long throw was a major weapon in Haiti. 

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »
I met one of his relatives recently and heard he was a big thing in the 1970s.

Please educate me.

You can read plenty about him here:
http://ttfootballhistory.com/taxonomy/term/196

I just merged an old thread about him, so look above your post as well.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:10:31 PM by E-man »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2011, 05:48:39 PM »
 Hard X1 to pick.

Goal:  Lincoln/Shaka

RB: Brian Williams/Russel Texeira

Center Backs: Selwyn Murren, Bert Grell/Ray Moraldo

Left Back: Tyrone DeLabastide/Rondon/Faustin

Mid:  D Yorke, Deleon/Latapy, Gally, Gamaldo/Dennis Morgan

Alvin Corneal/Sammy,   Steve David/Stern John,    Archibald     

The reason I put Sammy with Alvin is because Archie can play both right and left side quite effectively.                                 

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
Aye allyuh ole men!!!  :devil:

Try and remove that disrespectful "/" from by Latas name nuh, wham to allyuh at all!!

Burn Boots

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »
From what I saw back then, Warren Archibald was very easily one of the greatest players to have represented T&T. Tell your Haitian partner if he knew or heard that after the 1973, Haiti World Cup qualifiers, the Haitian Government/football federation wanted to make Archibald a citizen to play for them in the World Cup Finals in, the then, West Germany. I will like to suggest that he gets his facts right.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2011, 08:20:29 PM »
From what I saw back then, Warren Archibald was very easily one of the greatest players to have represented T&T. Tell your Haitian partner if he knew or heard that after the 1973, Haiti World Cup qualifiers, the Haitian Government/football federation wanted to make Archibald a citizen to play for them in the World Cup Finals in, the then, West Germany. I will like to suggest that he gets his facts right.

Even if the Haitian gov't gave Archie citizenship, he could not play for them. The haitian team in 73 was one of the best to come out of the Carbbean. The Haitian gov't did sponsor their national team big time, but they abused them, especially when they did not win.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:23:39 AM by Deeks »

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »

Even if the Haitian gov't gave Archie citizenship, he could play for them. The haitian team in 73 was one of the best to come out of the Carbbean. The Haitian gov't did sponsor their national team big time, but they abused them, especially when they did not win.

During that era several Haitians who had newborn babies named them after "Warren Archibald"
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2011, 09:39:11 PM »
This question just bugging meh, who allyuh see from the other islands and yuh like..pick a caribbean 11( minus TT). For the RF posse, Do the same, minus yard. Is just that ppl showing meh how big the Haitians are giving respect where respect due, i wonder if we respect anybody in we region. I will start with 4, I saw and admire. Plenty more, but names I remember.
Lowe(ja), Mathieu(Haiti), Joseph(Grenada)' Horace Bell(ja), zebra go...ok they starting to pop in meh head...Nah,nah, Archie on the left hands down

Meh mind just roll on worst TT player ah see, Arnim David..not that he didn't have good days, is just I didn't ketch those..sorry Mr. David

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2011, 07:13:02 AM »
Deeks,

How could I forget Bert Grell?  Yes, I would put Bert ahead of Moraldo.  Yuh put Dennis Morgan in that company.  Sammy would definitely be on the squad too.  Coop's, leh we hear your team.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2011, 07:36:35 AM »
Archie's popularity with the people of Haiti began way before the 1974 Qualifications. Archie was Haiti's boogey man, back in 1968 (for WC 1970 WCQ) Archie drop a hattrick on Haiti in Haiti leading T&T to a  4-2 win.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »
Deeks,

How could I forget Bert Grell?  Yes, I would put Bert ahead of Moraldo.  Yuh put Dennis Morgan in that company.  Sammy would definitely be on the squad too.  Coop's, leh we hear your team.

This was real hard. I like Dennis because he was a real runner and tackled a lot. Had good first touch and skills. Remind me of Autis Wheatley a bit. I also saw him play some memorable games for POSFl and North in Geo. V park too.  I even had great difficulty to leave out meh pardner Coops who could have fall in the forward line(especially on the right side) with ease. Coops was NOT just a forward, but he used to come back and help the defence quite substantially. Coops with DF was deadly. I used to imagine what if they just added the national team back line(Texeira, Murren,Figaro/Moraldo, Winston Phillips) to the DF front five(Murrel, Len LaForest, Milton Archibald,Ron Laforest, Coops), how they would have played. If I was coach, I would have tried that.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
Deeks,

Trevor,i'm sorry about this one,nameing any national team is always difficult for me,i've seen,delt with and played with so many of our players that i can't imagine leaving out any of them,the guys you and Deeks mentioned are deserving of their places in the history of T&T Football,but when you look at guys like Andy Aleong,Pat Small,Steve Pierre,Jeff Gellineau,Pat Gomez,Bert Neptune,Tony Douglas,Kelvin Berassa,Leroy Spann etc etc ah mean it really hard,people who don't know or have never seen these guys will never know the kind of talent this country produced.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
Deeks,

Trevor,i'm sorry about this one,nameing any national team is always difficult for me,i've seen,delt with and played with so many of our players that i can't imagine leaving out any of them,the guys you and Deeks mentioned are deserving of their places in the history of T&T Football,but when you look at guys like Andy Aleong,Pat Small,Steve Pierre,Jeff Gellineau,Pat Gomez,Bert Neptune,Tony Douglas,Kelvin Berassa,Leroy Spann etc etc ah mean it really hard,people who don't know or have never seen these guys will never know the kind of talent this country produced.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Footballers to bun and sun!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2011, 07:08:08 AM »
Coop's,

You called some great names there.

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2011, 07:20:45 AM »
Also, what about Eddie Aleong and Sedley Joseph?  I did not see Allan Joseph, but I heard he was extremely good.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2011, 08:16:48 AM »
Also, what about Eddie Aleong and Sedley Joseph?  I did not see Allan Joseph, but I heard he was extremely good.
    That's what i'm talking about,we could go on and on with good memories of the good old guys/days,one could just imagine where we could be with talent like that today,imagine the modern technology and exposure our players have to foreign major leagues and where our Football is today. 

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2011, 09:06:22 AM »

Ouch
Remember when Teams had to play sometimes 3-4 games during the week...
BDV cup,FA cup , League games...
... still like Eddie Aleong at midfield...cool for so...
Anyone have photos of the Belmont Colts, Luton Town, Notre Dame, Peterborough,etc teams during the 60's.
Also looking for a photo of the great race horse Mentone ....   
Am I showing my age?
Dtool

1]; } ?>