April 29, 2024, 02:55:47 AM

Author Topic: Riquelme retires from international football  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Riquelme retires from international football
« on: September 14, 2006, 07:40:57 AM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=379431&cc=3888

BUENOS AIRES, Sept 13 (Reuters) - Argentina playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme announced his international retirement on Wednesday at the age of 28, citing family reasons.

Riquelme, an elegant midfielder whose performances have split critics down the middle, said he had taken the shock decision because of his mother, who has been suffering from health problems.

'Since the World Cup, my mother has been taken to hospital twice and my responsibility is to take care of her,' said Riquelme.

'It was an easy decision to make. My family comes before the football,' said Riquelme, who captained the team which lost 3-0 to Brazil in a friendly this month, their first under new coach Alfio Basile.

'It will hurt me deeply not to wear the Argentina shirt again but my mother's health comes first,' said Riquelme, who quit the team at an age when most players are at their peak.

Riquelme said he feared criticism of his Argentina performances may have worsened his mother's health.

'There's been a lot of bad blood and I don't want to make her suffer,' he said.

'My mother is my mother and I can't compare her with the Argentina shirt or anything else.'

Riquelme, who plays his club football in Spain for Villareal, won 37 caps in an international career which spanned nine years.

Riquelme's admirers say he can control the pace of a game and prize open tough defences with his incisive passing. Critics say he drifts out of games and has been found wanting on the big occasion.

He was left out of the 2002 World Cup by coach Marcelo Bielsa but, four years later, he was the central figure in Jose Pekerman's team which reached the quarter-finals in Germany before losing on penalties to the hosts.

Although he played majestically in the opening games against Ivory Coast and Serbia & Montenegro, against whom he was named man of the match after the 6-0 rout, he faded against Germany and was substituted.

Riquelme began his club career with Boca Juniors, before joining Barcelona in 2002. He failed to settle and moved to smaller Spanish club Villareal.

After winning the World Youth Cup with Argentina in 1997, he made his full international debut the same year.

However, he played intermittently until Pekerman took charge in October 2004.

Riquelme said he had told Basile of his decision. 'My duty was to tell him and thank him for picking me for the first game,' he said.

'It was a very short chat. I told him what I thought and he understood.'

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Riquelme retires from international football
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:15:56 AM »
How much you want to bet he comes back
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »
How much you want to bet he comes back

Name the stakes ...... before you throw good money behind bad however ..check and see if he has ever recinded any of his former statements...   

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 10:03:44 AM »
So if his mom gets better what yuh think he gonna do?
Watch Argentina games on tv?   

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 10:06:58 AM »
this is more of an internal conflict with the coach and the 3-0 cut arse they get. Once world cup qual start back he they again, he just dont want to go for copa amearica that all.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »
you guys should not be so cynical... Riquelme would have to be a hell of a ass man to use his sick mother as an excuse for not playing football (the thing he loves the most). There is no evidence to support this....
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »
A bit drastic .. if he mother was getting worse from some of the results how about he just not play for a bit.. if you allowed to do that.
i think he be back for sure

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 04:15:23 PM »
A bit drastic .. if he mother was getting worse from some of the results how about he just not play for a bit.. if you allowed to do that.
i think he be back for sure

just read some comments from his teammates and the consensus is that he does not change his mind. ¨When Roman makes a decision it is forever ¨
It also looks like the problem with his mother may be because of things said about him ....... not too sure yet though...
when he left boca for barcelona he said it was because of the threat to his family safety...some say it was for the money. According to Roman if his brother had not been kidnapped he would have remained in Boca forever.
When he had the chance to go to man United he refused saying he had just signed an extension with Villarel and would honour it ...some say he would change his mind for man U is much bigger than Villareal ...he stayed..
strange fellow but some have been known to stand for principles .... money is not everything to everyone...check our own marvin andrews !!
these guys are fast becoming a rare breed in this synthetic world we are living in ....

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 04:25:26 PM »
Riquelme is being sincere. Even the lowest man would not put his own mother in the public eye like that if it were not true. He won't come back to the national team unless his mother herself begs him to return...or...well let's not think of the other scenario that could bring him back.

People like to call genius players 'ahead of their time'. Well Riquelme is a genius who should have been born 40 years ago when midfield generals still ruled the game..when men coulda stroll in the center of the park with their socks roll down by their ankle and just ping passes like a demon. Riquelme reminds me of the old school killers...not that he doh still handle himself in the modern game...but no team relies on one amn anymore for all the creative impetus the way Villareal and Argentina rely on Riquelme (maybe Falkirk  ;)) but not even Brazil, Barca, Chelsea, Milan...noone...That was/is football of a different time

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 07:36:13 PM »

People like to call genius players 'ahead of their time'. Well Riquelme is a genius who should have been born 40 years ago when midfield generals still ruled the game..when men coulda stroll in the center of the park with their socks roll down by their ankle and just ping passes like a demon. Riquelme reminds me of the old school killers...not that he doh still handle himself in the modern game...but no team relies on one amn anymore for all the creative impetus the way Villareal and Argentina rely on Riquelme (maybe Falkirk  ;)) but not even Brazil, Barca, Chelsea, Milan...noone...That was/is football of a different time

correct
that is why he could not survive in Barca, the game was jes to face paced for his style of play, now I eh saying he is a bad player cause he very good, his composure on the ball is excellent. But when you have Eto, Ronaldinho, Guily and the rest galloping down the field and this man taking he time with the ball looking for that deceptive pass it would never work. I doh even think he is suited to any English game cause he go get real kick down.

Més que un club.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 07:42:59 PM »

one of my fav players but i can see him commin back and play he loves the game

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 10:23:29 PM »

correct
that is why he could not survive in Barca, the game was jes to face paced for his style of play, now I eh saying he is a bad player cause he very good, his composure on the ball is excellent. But when you have Eto, Ronaldinho, Guily and the rest galloping down the field and this man taking he time with the ball looking for that deceptive pass it would never work. I doh even think he is suited to any English game cause he go get real kick down.

Riquelme's playing style never appealed to me...of course it works (sometimes) and he's gained respect for it but to me he is just too inconsistent. A glaring inconsistency in light of Villareal and Argentina relying on him so much. I like a creative midfielder who constantly getting involved and moving with de attack, goin for goal on impulse, e.g. Rivaldo.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 04:57:45 AM »

correct

Riquelme's playing style never appealed to me...of course it works (sometimes) and he's gained respect for it but to me he is just too inconsistent. A glaring inconsistency in light of Villareal and Argentina relying on him so much. I like a creative midfielder who constantly getting involved and moving with de attack, goin for goal on impulse, e.g. Rivaldo.

I agree with you,he's the most overrated player I've ever seen,does nothing for me but I hope his family crisis is short lived and everything works out.....................Total Shit snake............

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 05:49:48 AM »

I agree with you,he's the most overrated player I've ever seen,does nothing for me but I hope his family crisis is short lived and everything works out.....................Total Shit snake............

Juan Roman Riquelme

World Club Champions Boca Juniors 2000 ( Beating Real madrid )
Copa Libertadores winners 2000 and 2001
Torneos clausura champions ( closing tournament ) 98 & 99
Torneo apertura 2000 champions ( opening tournament )
Copa del Rey de America 2001
World Champions under 20 1997
South American Champions under 20 1997
Intertoto Cup Champipons 2004
Leading in assists in La Liga 2004/2005 ( Villareal )
Voted most artistic player 2005/2006 La Liga ( Villareal )
Final 4 in Europe 2005/2006 ( Villareal )
Shortlisted with Juninho and deco as best midfielder in Europe last season
There are course minor achievements such as playing for Argentina etc..

You want to run that comment on Riquelme again ??

Can you list some players you consider good ....and some of their achievements ??

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 07:39:40 AM »
Definitely a good player, but I agree that he is too inconsistent. Argentina has too many good players to miss just this one. I do hope that his mother gets better though.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 07:53:03 AM »

Juan Roman Riquelme

Can you list some players you consider good ....and some of their achievements ??

Jam them Jai... Riquelme as Shit Snake  ???  ???
Filho's comments about his playing style are for the most part, spot on. I do think, however, he has a place in the modern game, if the correct team is built around him. This has been proven in his performances for Argentina and the Submarines and by his list of accomplishments (above).
People in another thread are singing the praises of Denilson as a big baller ( ???) look no further that Juan Roman Riquelme for a class act as a footballer and human being.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 08:07:14 AM »
He'll return in time for World Cup 2010 Qualifiers

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 08:18:16 AM »
He'll return in time for World Cup 2010 Qualifiers
yuh hit de nail on de head.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 08:20:51 AM »
Obviously Riquelme is not a shithound. He easily one of the most technically gifted players in the modern era. I think he is an anachronism- he doesn't belong here. He doesn't have the physical capability to be consistent at the highest level. Look closely at him and you'd see him panting during games. He has no pace and his endurance doesn't even compensate.  Send Riquelme to 1986 and he probably would have been second only to Maradona. But this is 2006. The guy is so easily rendered ineffective in big matches its not even funny.

He is very good player and joy to watch but I wouldn't put him in the same category of a Ronaldinho, Zidane or Rivaldo.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 08:55:09 AM »
Obviously Riquelme is not a shithound. He easily one of the most technically gifted players in the modern era. I think he is an anachronism- he doesn't belong here. He doesn't have the physical capability to be consistent at the highest level. Look closely at him and you'd see him panting during games. He has no pace and his endurance doesn't even compensate.  Send Riquelme to 1986 and he probably would have been second only to Maradona. But this is 2006. The guy is so easily rendered ineffective in big matches its not even funny.

He is very good player and joy to watch but I wouldn't put him in the same category of a Ronaldinho, Zidane or Rivaldo.

I agree that Ronaldinho is a cut above everyone else ...no aguments there. As someone mentioned Riquelme is a difficult player to fathom..... He can blow from non existent to exeptional .... he has a deceptive tired look ....ever since the youth team ...dont let it fool you though .
He was named in the top three midfielders last season in Europe, not Spain, and that was over the entire season suggesting he had more good days than bad....finishing ahead of players like Zidane, ballack, makele, Fabregas, Essein etc.  I agree though that to be among the greats he shine  more often.

Someone pointed to his not being able to succeed at barcelona ..well let me say a few things about that ...when Riquelme arrived from Boca, Barca had just hired a new coach .... He was geeted with the words ..I did not ask for you and you dont fit into my plans !! That was before he had kcked a lime.The fact that he played at all was down to the crowd pressure at Camp Nou.

The crowd whistled and waved flags at Van gaal to bring Riquelme on in games where he was benched...Shots of riquelme RI quel me were often heard ...I had never seen or heard a crowd give a standing ovation to a player coming off the bench....until WC 2006 in germany of course ... the crowd also applauded his silky skills when he was given a chance to show them off.
Another  fact is that barelona has never sold Riquelme. outright ....they still own 25% fo his rights ...you think that is beause he is a s*** hong..?

Finally get a copy of the barcelona vs Villareal game three seasons ago when Riquelme was meeting his fomer teammates  for the first time... he was a barcelona player on loan to Villareal then.....Villareal won 3-o ...and Riquelme outshone all including Ronaldinho...an agreement was made for him to miss the return at the Nou Camp ..no doubt to protect Van gaaal from the home fans ... Riquelme was later sold in part to barcelona.

he is still 25% property of barcelona again because a dutch coach does not appreciate his talents.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »
The entire Barcelona team failed that day. The scoreline was reversed the next season at the Madrigal and Riquelme didn't make a note.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2006, 12:41:25 PM »
The entire Barcelona team failed that day. The scoreline was reversed the next season at the Madrigal and Riquelme didn't make a note.

Well you could say the entire Barcelona team failed or give credit to those who made them fail and Barcelona did reverse the result ..... just the point I made about being brilliant one day and ordinary the next.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 01:13:31 PM »

Juan Roman Riquelme

Okay here we go,he did'nt win those championships all by himself,he was'nt the only one playing,the last time I checked his middle name is'nt superman,you can also make the case that he was riding some of the other players backs to get them championships.there're so many intangibles in play.........     

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 08:23:56 AM »

Juan Roman Riquelme

Okay here we go,he did'nt win those championships all by himself,he was'nt the only one playing,the last time I checked his middle name is'nt superman,you can also make the case that he was riding some of the other players backs to get them championships.there're so many intangibles in play.........     

you think Pele won three world cups by himself ...or that maradona won in 86 single handedly ?? Of course not but you cant deny they were a part of winning teams. maybe you need to see some of the games I mentioned then you would be in a better position to say that Riquelme was riding other players backs ...better still read what his teammates say about him !

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 08:47:37 AM »
I don't doubt that the man is good but look at those acievements and see how many came from South America.You can't really use that an accurate guage. International just won the Libertadores Cup. 2 years ago it was Once Caldas. Hmmm. Thats not exactly the best club competition in the world. You need riot police to take corners in those games.

Your boy made it to the Champions legue Semi-final yeah, but was totally ineffective in 180 minutes of football and missed a penalty in dying minutes of the 2nd leg to send the game into extra-time. Arsenal rough him up and he vanished from the game.

He is a 2nd tier player.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006, 09:16:05 AM »
I don't doubt that the man is good but look at those acievements and see how many came from South America.You can't really use that an accurate guage. International just won the Libertadores Cup. 2 years ago it was Once Caldas. Hmmm. Thats not exactly the best club competition in the world. You need riot police to take corners in those games.

Your boy made it to the Champions legue Semi-final yeah, but was totally ineffective in 180 minutes of football and missed a penalty in dying minutes of the 2nd leg to send the game into extra-time. Arsenal rough him up and he vanished from the game.

He is a 2nd tier player.

Not sure how you define 2nd tier, but to me Riquelme is a first class player. Copa Libertadores is also a top class tournament. It is extremely difficult to win. According to your logic, the European Cup isn't that good because Greece won it last time around. Or perhaps the Champions League ain't that good because Dortmund won it a few years ago and that side has done very little since. Liverpool won it the year they could not even finish in the top 4 in England and had to get special permission to even play in it the following year. You cannot judge Riquelme on a few bad performances. Every great player could be discredited by poor high profile performances...even Maradona and Pele. Riquelme had a far better world cup than Ronaldinho..is Ronaldinho a 3rd tier player? Riquelme is  inconsistent, so I understand why many don't like him. He also plays a classic sole central playmaker. The problem with that is he is the principal source of creativity in teams he plays for, therefore if you cut off the supply to him or if he has a bad day, it is all too visible and he shoulders the brunt of the blame for the team. Ronaldinho (who is one of my favorites just so you know) can have a bad game, but Deco (at Barca) or Kaka (at Brazil) can pick up the slack and help him get back into a rhythm. He is a brilliant player, but does not shoulder the same type of repsonsibility as Riquelme and can more easliy get away with a poor performance here and there. Riquelme plays in a system where he is surrounded by workhorse midfielders to protect him so that he can supply the bullets to the guns up top. He has more responsibility than any playmaker I can think of at that level. Still, when he is on he is a genius..almost unstoppable. Villareal wasn't qualifying for the CL 2 years ago without Riquelme and they weren't making it to the semifinals last year without him. A poor semifinal performance should not erase all the brilliance that came for 10 rounds before that and an entire season before that in a fairly mediocre side. Seriously..compare Villareal before Riquelme. They made it to the CL semis...that si due to more htn just the Argentine..but he was very key. The other thing that sold me on Riquelme's class was that 2 years ago he actually had Forlan looking like a first class striker. Then in the early part of last season when Riquelme was missing through injury, Forlan and co couldn't hit the side of a barn from 2 yards...Villareal only made a push for Europe when Riquelme returned to form, but they didn't quite get there. Riquelme isn't my favorite.....but 2nd tier? That kinda harsh. But to each his own. Respek
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 09:23:01 AM by Filho »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 01:08:22 PM »
By 2nd tier I meant below the like of Rivaldo,Zidane and Ronaldinho. You gave good points though.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 09:44:30 PM »
Ah definitely think Riquelme is going tuh return, once his mother is back tuh full health and strength, he will be motivated again tuh represent his country. This guy has too much tuh offer his national team on de pitch, tuh retire so early.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 11:19:37 AM »

Juan Roman Riquelme

I beg to differ. ....Just thought you might be interested in this video ??
You might see some famous players and teams ...you might even see Riquelme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVjp1yrTBDc&mode=related&search=riquelme

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
Regardless of personal preferenes, Riquelme is one of the best in the World.

9 out of 10 coaches would bid for him if he were in their price range.

If we had a player on T&T's present team with his ability we would be comparing him to the best ever.....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>