April 28, 2024, 10:38:33 PM

Author Topic: Clement races to hurdles glory  (Read 5088 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Clement races to hurdles glory
« on: June 27, 2005, 03:19:11 PM »
By Gene Cherry
Sun Jun 26, 9:44 PM ET
Copyright © 2005 Reuters Limited

Kerron Clement ran the seventh-fastest 400 meters hurdles in history and Olympic 100 meters gold medallist Justin Gatlin completed a sprint double on the final day of action at the U.S. championships on Sunday.

The 19-year-old Clement, who broke Michael Johnson's indoor 400 meters world record in March, pulled away from Bershawn Jackson approaching the final hurdle to cross the line in 47.24 seconds.

The time was the fastest in the event in seven years.

"It was perfect," the Trinidad-born Clement said.

"It was the first time this year I didn't chop my steps."

Jackson finished second in 47.80 seconds and James Carter claimed third in 48.03 seconds in the meeting, which served as the American trials for August's world championships in Helsinki.

Gatlin clocked 20.04 seconds into a headwind to win the 200 meters and become the first man to complete the sprint double at the U.S. championships in 20 years.

"I want to continue to do the same thing in Helsinki," said Gatlin, who predicted a U.S. sweep in the event at the worlds.

Gatlin had won the 100 meters in 10.08 seconds on Saturday, one day after officials reinstated him in the event following his disqualification for a false start in the preliminaries.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Clement races to hurdles glory
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 08:36:18 AM »
I am not a fan of Clement but I will give jack his jacket.  He ran an excellent race.  I think he can become the biggest thing in track since Michael Johnson and Edwin Moses. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 12:05:08 PM by real madness »

jusme

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 12:03:57 PM »
anytime a youth from T&T could do well for himself it does make me happy.  that being said, it's kinda painful to think that he coulda be running for we. 
In the US, he will make news every 4 years (world championships doh make no news like the Olympics), but can you imagine the kinda kinda jubilation he coulda bring to T&T over the next 10 or 12 years.  The man is 19 and cutting everybody ass bad bad bad.  Running 400 part-time and setting world indoor records.
He potentially looking at multiple olympic golds (although you never know how dem tings going to run), dat woulda make him bigger than hasely, lara, yorke, latas, ato everybody else.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 07:32:34 PM »
To me it doh matter all that much if he runs for T&T or not, the only difference is which flag and anthem are shown at the medal ceremony.  Does it really matter whether he wears blue or black with his red and white? We know he is a Trini, he knows he is a Trini and even Reuters knows he is a Trini.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 01:54:46 AM »
dat woulda make him bigger than hasely, lara, yorke, latas, ato everybody else.

Let we not get carried away nah. Oh gosh allyuh. Hasely was de fus gold medallist and will always be. He might do better dan Ato and get golds...de rest are untouchable in my book..they have stood the test of time and skill. Dis youth eh have serious gold yet and you assuming dat he would always be healthy in a sport that pushes the leg muscles beyond its limits. The added strain of hurdling and relays will not lengthen his career. Maybe ah spiteful but ah hope he pull all he muscle.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 07:50:21 AM »
dat woulda make him bigger than hasely, lara, yorke, latas, ato everybody else.

Maybe ah spiteful but ah hope he pull all he muscle.

lol

1]; } ?>