April 27, 2024, 08:14:04 AM

Author Topic: UN report 60 percent of Trinidad and Tobago highly-educated migrated  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NEW YORK, USA - A new United Nations report on International Migration has painted a grim image of the island's workforce, saying that as much as 60 per cent of the most 'highly-educated' Jamaicans have migrated - mainly to more developed countries such as the United States, Britain and others within the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

The migration of skilled labour has long been a source of concern for developing countries, which regard it as a major impediment to their development.But the full report, which was released yesterday at a high-level dialogue on international migration, as part of the 61st General Assembly which began on Tuesday, says similar situations exist in other Caribbean countries such as Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Haiti, as well as several countries in Africa.

"Between 33 and 55 per cent of the highly-educated people of Angola, Burundi, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania live in OECD countries. That proportion is even higher - about 60 per cent - for Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, and Trinidad and Tobago," the report said.

It added that nearly six out of every 10 highly educated migrants living in OECD countries in 2000 originated in developing countries.
"In 2002, there were about 20 million migrants with tertiary education, aged 25 or over, living in OECD countries, up from 12 million in 1990. People with tertiary education accounted for nearly half of the increase in migrants older than 25 years in the OECD countries during the 1990s," according to the report.

Tracking the movement of people between countries in the 21st century, the report said international migrants at the global level numbered 191 million in 2005, the majority of whom - 34 per cent - went to Europe, followed by North America, which hosted 23 per cent. Another 28 per cent went to Asia, while nine per cent went to live in Africa.

The Caribbean received a mere three per cent of the 191 million migrants, which according to Hania Zlotnik, the director of the UN Population Division, is due to the "unattractiveness" of countries within the region. "There's nothing attractive. economically. to really pull migrants there (Caribbean)," Zlotnik told journalists participating in the 2006 journalists fellowship programme, which is being run by the UN.

Referring to the report, Zlotnik said nearly six out of every 10 international migrants (112 million) reside in countries designated as "high-income". However, he said these "high-income" nations also include countries categorised as being in the developing state such as Bahrain, Brunei, Kuwait, Qatar, the Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:22:43 PM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: UN report 60 per cent of Trinidad and Tobago highly-educated migrated
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 08:26:09 AM »
There was an IMF or was it IDB stat I saw last year that said 79% of all Trinis with tertiary education leave the region.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 08:33:40 AM »
That is true look how much of alyuh in foreign.

But I was abroad...my family abroad...most of my pardners abroad and the few who here, not so by choice but moreso by design.

But if you check it...those who are in prestige secondary schools are the top 5%

When I was in UWI the stat at that time was that only 10% of the population has tertiary level education....I suspect that has risen to about 15-20% by now...But lewwe use some simple maths...is we say 1 million people in TT and 10% have tertiary level education...thats 100,000 people with degrees.

then if 75% ride out only 25,000 people walking about with papers.

Then the income disparity in TT is that 2% of the population controls 50% of the wealth.
Kinda makes sense, if you think about it.

Also most of the money making industries...oil, gas, banking etc...is level expat and foreigners in the big wig positions. 

But conversely....those who stay and fought up when I went abroad now have real big wuk and liking theyself in TT.

But from my perspective I find they have plenty educated people and no jobs for them....as such they accepting lower paying jobs and the wage structure is low.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 08:40:35 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
the No 1 money maker in Jamaica at one point in time was reparations. Meaning, all them people who migrate or dem people who jes in the people country illegaly does jes send back money everyday for dey family.
ie Buju Banton - Deportee.mp3

Wester Union doh stop make money dey.

Més que un club.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:38:59 AM »
60% real high in troot  :o

well me eh contribute to no drain...when I leave trini I was dunce....now I effin duncer, so it eh my fault
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 02:47:55 PM »
60% real high in troot  :o

well me eh contribute to no drain...when I leave trini I was dunce....now I effin duncer, so it eh my fault

:rotfl: :rotfl: ditto!!!!! :rotfl:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 03:04:12 PM »
the No 1 money maker in Jamaica at one point in time was reparations. Meaning, all them people who migrate or dem people who jes in the people country illegaly does jes send back money everyday for dey family.
ie Buju Banton - Deportee.mp3

Wester Union doh stop make money dey.

Money remitted by Jamaican expats is responsible for about 50% of foreign exchanged earned by Jamaica. The Jamaican economy like many other Caribbean states is heavily dependent on tourism. After the terrorist attack in 2001 travel for leisure took a dip and threatened the JA economy. It was money from their own citizens abroad that kept the economy afloat.

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:38:39 PM »
I am seriously asking this question..

For a person who has just attained his/her degree in lets say.. Electrical Engineering..

How much oppertunity is there for him/her in Trinidad and Tobago ?

And for any profession , how much chance is there to reach your fullest potential in Trinidad and Tobago ?
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »

For a person who has just attained his/her degree in lets say.. Electrical Engineering..

And for any profession , how much chance is there to reach your fullest potential in Trinidad and Tobago ?

Unfortunately dookie you also have to add this to your questions to get the true answers

Who knows you?? (not who do you know??)

That is the only real question that matters..... sad to say

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »
I get what your saying lol

I better hope that some of my friends go into government ..  :devil: :devil:
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 09:57:15 PM »
Government, WASA, TSTT, T&TEC...........boy you need friends everywhere just to stand a chance  ;D

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »
I think the question of opportunities for local graduates is an unfortunate one. If we are to believe that the economy is doing as well as they say opportunies for graduates should be aplenty. According to CSO statistics our unemployment rate is around 8%. The economy is growing and we continue to attract foreign investment. The economic conditions at present are supposed to be conducive to creating opportunities for educated citizens.

Let me premise my opinion by saying I don't I don't have any hards facts to support what I think is the problem.

Some of the factors contributing to the exodus of highly educated Trinis :

The unfavourable real estate market. Were it not for NHA housing owning a home would require a massive effort on the part of the individual

Perceived higher salaries attainable abroad and the lure of "1st world"

A few Trinis running away from crime and 3rd world

In essence the piece of paper the have affords them the opportunity to avoid many of the problems people experience in Trini life.

Speaking as somebody who will graduate soon I don't plan on leaving my country. There is work to be done here and perhaps more relevant to the question at hand, there is the opportunity to work as well. I could probably get more if I went to Miami or New York or London but I am willing to stay and build.

I think government and the private sector and students have a role to play in enhancing the conditions of prospective employees. We live in a capitalist society and hands of demand and supply influence of the labour market greatly. With the Caricom single market now on stream the supply of labour will inevitably increase. It means the government must take steps to make the products of the T&T education system better able able compete in the modern market for jobs. Essentially we need to be the best and brightest.

The government also has the authority to provide conditions to attract investment and to nuture budding local enterprise. Companies should play a more active role in education and training.

The role of the student himself I believe is largely understated. History shows us that individual enterprise has been responsible for building of empires. The power of the individual to think, to create and hopefully to sell is what will create the opportunity. This kind of idealism requires an education system that ignites critical thought and therefore creativity in the minds of students.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 10:06:08 AM »
NEW YORK, USA - A new United Nations report on International Migration has painted a grim image of the island's workforce, saying that as much as 60 per cent of the most 'highly-educated' Jamaicans have migrated - mainly to more developed countries such as the United States, Britain and others within the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

The migration of skilled labour has long been a source of concern for developing countries, which regard it as a major impediment to their development.But the full report, which was released yesterday at a high-level dialogue on international migration, as part of the 61st General Assembly which began on Tuesday, says similar situations exist in other Caribbean countries such as Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Haiti, as well as several countries in Africa.

"Between 33 and 55 per cent of the highly-educated people of Angola, Burundi, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania live in OECD countries. That proportion is even higher - about 60 per cent - for Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, and Trinidad and Tobago," the report said.

It added that nearly six out of every 10 highly educated migrants living in OECD countries in 2000 originated in developing countries.
"In 2002, there were about 20 million migrants with tertiary education, aged 25 or over, living in OECD countries, up from 12 million in 1990. People with tertiary education accounted for nearly half of the increase in migrants older than 25 years in the OECD countries during the 1990s," according to the report.

Tracking the movement of people between countries in the 21st century, the report said international migrants at the global level numbered 191 million in 2005, the majority of whom - 34 per cent - went to Europe, followed by North America, which hosted 23 per cent. Another 28 per cent went to Asia, while nine per cent went to live in Africa.

The Caribbean received a mere three per cent of the 191 million migrants, which according to Hania Zlotnik, the director of the UN Population Division, is due to the "unattractiveness" of countries within the region. "There's nothing attractive. economically. to really pull migrants there (Caribbean)," Zlotnik told journalists participating in the 2006 journalists fellowship programme, which is being run by the UN.

Referring to the report, Zlotnik said nearly six out of every 10 international migrants (112 million) reside in countries designated as "high-income". However, he said these "high-income" nations also include countries categorised as being in the developing state such as Bahrain, Brunei, Kuwait, Qatar, the Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates.

THIS IS WHERE STATS COULD BE MISLEADING. THE MAJORITY OF THE PPL WHO MIGRAT TO THOSE MENTIONED PLACES GO THERE AND DO WORK THAT THE CITIZENS DONT WANAN DO OR FEEL BELOW THEM. the average citizen of these countires filithy rich and would clean toilets ot flip burgers. The migrants do make mor emoney than they would do home but as to how highly educated they are thats debateable.

also places like UAE actually have more migrants living and working there than ppl who were "orgianlly" there.
    u can look at these ppl like normaercian mexicans is push and pull.
also dont let the fact that most educated carbbeans citizens leave fool u..this happens all over. Most developing countires even "rich" and powerful ones liek china lose countless edcuated and academians to europe and especially CANADA. I personaly know a guys who was a surgeon in china who drives a cab in toronto. A guy who has a Phd (South KoREAN) and works on optics owns a corner grocery in my nebourhood. South Korea is a developed country yet still he migrated, and alot of educated koreans do that also.

Yesterday thier was an article in the toronto star about a lady wo has a post secondary degree was a teacher in sri lanka and now HOLDS 2 JOBS  CLEANING AND MAKES JUST $1550 A MONTH. MIND U RENT IS $850 CANADIAN A MONTH EH. SHE HAS 2 KIDS, HER HUSBAND WAS INJURED WORKING IN CANADA  AND WAS FORCED TO MOVE BACK TO SRI  LANKA CAUSE OF MEDICAL BILLS. SHE HAS BEEN LIVING HERE FOR 13YRS  NOW.
     The grass is not always greener my frens.  its not jus will to succeed and education its also luck.
WHICH one of allyuh woulda work so hard in trini...work 2 jobs and make COMPARABLE money.. i am fairly confident few. Trini is a very very nice place crime and the government/politics not withstanding. If your fairly well edcuated work and and make sacrfices..(the same ppl  will come to ODDER PPL COUNTRY AND WILLING MAKE ) then y not to it in trini...bling..u need a car..etc etc

My padna has a decent job nuttin to extravagant makes failry decent money, his wife works as an unqualified accountant menaing..she didnt get her acc's and de rest ah dem kiss meha ss accounting letters..lol.. and they both just purchansed a house in malabar (dais in arima for some ah allyuh  :-\) They have to children. they have been lving in hsi parents hous and are soon to move out
 Few parents in this country woulda allow thier married son and his wife and 2 kids, married daughter with 2 kids to live in thier house thill they get thiers. They woulda have to make thier own way.

The stats u quoted "merely" 3%. i sniccer at. which 3 % my fren? that 3% i think u would find THE MAJORITY IS RICH EUOPEANS who are buying land and retiering in the caribbean.
 I had opportunities in trini but my situation brought me to Canada and no i didnt know any one..though i will argee that neptosim is pervasive but  kid u not same thing up here they jus call it NETWORKING!!
I intend to repay my hoem tirnidad which will neer change when i retire and i do now..i invest alot in trini. plan to retire there also

so.....dais jus my $3.26
btw mirants acc**ts for a significant portion of the forgien exchange eh....lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:42:22 AM »

Digicel, Laqtel, PowerGen, All Banks (computer science side of EE), eTech (this is promising...the technology park in Wallerfield), BP and other similar companies with indistrial facilities, NP, NGC, some construction companies...electrical stuff for new buildings, Green Dot.

If you find your niche at home u have potential to go far.  TSTT actually send some of their engineers to be trained abroad...at good schools.  WHen u come back u could do well.  Might even do better than if u were away BUT what RastaMan say is correct.  The business people cah survive without they "networking".  Because T&T small it becomes even more important.

As for reaching your fullest potential....it can be argues you have a better chance of doing that at home if you play your cards right, get the right experiences (home and/or abroad...getting some perspective on how things are done elsewhere is invaluable these days) and have the vision to see where there are opportunities to start something new.
It have people who doing that now.

Combine an engineering degree with an MBA and the sky is the limit.

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 12:07:13 PM »
Thanks DCS and great post by Jah Gol , what are you getting your degree in ?
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 01:02:57 PM »
master dookie,  my aunt get her degree in electrical engineering from uwi in the mid 8os i think.  shework in the bank for a while then she spent like 10-15 years working fro gransaull in sando, but i dont think she was doing strictly engineering stuff.  she came up to new york like about 10 or so years ago and she was working for a firm that renovated buildings or something so.  my point is that u must be flexible, sometimes u mighnt end up doing exactly what u planned

p.s. i was reading a journal on friday and it was qutoing some tall dollars (starting salary) with that degree though, so is a good field to get into.  sigh, if only i was mathematically inclined

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 01:16:56 PM »
Master Dookie ?

My first name is Nigel ... lol

That was just an example , i was targetting degrees and tertiary education on the whole..

But I do like Electrical Engineering.
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 02:06:53 PM »
Thanks DCS and great post by Jah Gol , what are you getting your degree in ?

Business Management

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 03:19:30 PM »
Oh , definately sounds so..lol
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 08:29:30 PM »

Electrical Engineering for me.

I want to point out it is an eduacation and not what you will necessarily end up doing later on.
The skills you get make you quite marketable for a lot of different fields.
And if you get some experience along the way in other areas u might be interested in (through internships, courses), then u even more marketable. (like learning SPANISH!!!!)

So if you like it and think you will enjoy it as an undergraduate degree then the next thing is to consider what you might want to do later on.
That could be medicine, law, business, computer science related stuff...whatever.
Just that some of those professions (law and medicine in particular), it makes a big deal to plan early because it is a long road for some of them and you need to do certain things along the way like getting ready for exams and making sure you have the right course work.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 08:48:05 AM »
N Dookie,

TT only want accountants and engineers....

That is where the big money is.

Also it is easier for them to send a engineer on a business course and turn him into a project manager than it is for a management person to learn the ins and outs of engineering.

TT too narrow and too small...if you in hr...yuh have that wuk till yuh dead.

If you into economics the only people hiring yuh is Central Bank.

Everything else is specialised.

But yes who yuh know will get yuh far in TT.....call it networking or whateve, but yuh does need that lil help out to get yuh foot in the door.

Once yuh do engineering yuh safe.....If I was a maths man I mighta go in that direction

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 10:37:28 AM »
i eh know how true them stats is but i would say about 1/2 of the people i knew in secondary school bust and leave.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 11:29:44 AM »
Well i was abroad, now i back home. I have the opportunity to return abroad but i choose to stay home.

From a few of the interviews that i've been to i could say one pleseantly suprising thing, Companies starting to get the plot and re engineering most of their systems making them fully electronic. The new consumer is the younger generation 18-35 who are a lot more computer savy  The opportunity is there especially if you in the Computer Science or Engineering fields too. They paying too.

Come home my fellow engineers.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

1]; } ?>