April 25, 2024, 05:49:45 PM

Author Topic: Ipswich Town court Hislop  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ipswich Town court Hislop
« on: June 27, 2005, 09:28:29 PM »
Ipswich Town court Shaka Hislop.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Shaka Hislop is considering a return to the England League Championship football division after confirming that Ipswich Town were interested in his services.
The 36-year-old Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper left Premiership club, Portsmouth, in May after serving a three-year contract with the south coast team that saw them catapult from First Division stragglers to the English top flight.
Hislop's relationship with "Pompey" soured after the acrimonious departure of former manager Harry Redknapp to bitter rivals Southampton, last November, and the goalie was not offered a new deal by current boss, Alain Perrin.
Ipswich, who finished third in the League Championship last term before being edged by West Ham in the Play Offs, are offering Hislop a new challenge although there are several respectable suitors.
He suggested that the "Tractor Boys" form last season, as well as a glowing recommendation from his Portsmouth teammate David Unsworth, who spent six months on loan at Ipswich this year, piqued his curiosity.
"Ipswich have shown interest but they are not the only ones to do so," Hislop told the Trinidad Express. "They were highly recommended by my friend David Unsworth and they have made a very interesting offer. There are still other interested clubs so I will have to decide soon.
"I will probably have to do it over the phone because of my international commitments (at the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament)."
One sticking point about Ipswich's approach is the issue of relocation.
Hislop lives on the south coast at present and would be unable to commute to Ipswich in East Anglia-a three and a half-hour drive barring traffic.
He is unlikely to unsettle his family, which comprises his wife, Desha, and four children, so soon after settling into life at Hampshire for a short-term deal. It is an occupational hazard as a professional athlete but still something he will consider with his family before any agreement is reached.
Ipswich last played in the Premiership in the 2001/02 season when they were relegated despite finishing fifth in the previous term when they qualified for the UEFA Cup. They maintained a presence in the top half of the League Championship standings ever since but have so far been unable to force their way back into the top flight.
Shaka excited about T&T return.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Shaka Hislop is excited about returning to national duty and looks forward to making his mark in next month's CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament in the United States.
Hislop, 36, wore the captain's armband at T&T's last Gold Cup appearance in 2002 and was selected on the tournament All Star team although coach Rene Simoes' outfit did not qualify for the knockout stage.
He is anxious to impress again.
"I am hoping to give a strong personal showing," Hislop told the Trinidad Express. "The easy answer is for me to say that I am more interested in the team doing well. But I think that it is important for me to show to everyone that I am still a (top) goalkeeper in the Gold Cup.
"I have worked very hard in the off-season and I need to prove to myself that it was not in vain. I think the break has served me well and I am really eager to show what I can do."
Hislop, who leaves for Miami from England tomorrow, is also eager to meet new head coach Leo Beenhakker after declining a chance to join the national squad in May.
"I have heard really good things about Beenhakker from (Dwight) Yorke and so on," said Hislop, "so I jumped at the chance when he called me recently. It was an opportunity that I did not want to miss."
However, Hislop stressed that he is willing to accept a supporting role for younger goalkeepers like Kelvin Jack (Dundee) and Clayton Ince (Crewe Alexandra) if need be.
"I am realistic about my own situation," he said. "I am 36 and coming to the end of my club and international career. We have some fantastic goalkeepers coming through in Trinidad like Jack, Ince and Duarance Williams, who may not be quite ready yet but it won't be long before they are.
"So I am willing to play whatever role the coach sees fit and, if he wants to play a supporting role, then I am happy to do that."
Hislop lost his starting place to fellow England-based custodian, Ince, in his last return for T&T in a goalless draw at home to Costa Rica on March 30, which was then coach Bertille St Clair's final game at the helm.
Hislop conceded five goals, four days earlier, in a 5-1 loss away to Guatemala and admitted that his confidence and form was adversely affected by his fall from grace at Portsmouth.
The six-foot-two goalkeeper, who had prior stints with Newcastle United, West Ham and Reading, made a bright start to the 2004/05 season with Portsmouth and was twice named on the BBC Premiership "Team of the Week" for his impressive form, which included a clean sheet against Manchester United.
But Hislop struggled to hold on to the number one shirt after the departure of manager Harry Redknapp, who signed him at West Ham and Portsmouth but left for bitter rivals, Southampton in November.
Hislop cannot gauge his present form since he has not donned gloves for more than a month, but believes that he is mentally more positive. He pointed out there were similarities with his last Gold Cup tournament when he had just left West Ham after being kept out the first team by England goalkeeper David James. He signed for Portsmouth shortly after the 2002 Gold Cup.
"I am just happy to get back into the swing of things and put the last four months at Portsmouth behind me," said Hislop. "We did not deserve to be knocked out so early in the last Gold Cup but, from a personal standpoint, the tournament came at a really good time when I needed to fall in love with the game again.
"I think I have that renewed sense again when I am looking forward to playing."
Hislop's contract with Portsmouth expired last month but there have been respectable suitors, including League Championship club, Ipswich Town. He also revealed that he would consider a move to United States' Major League Soccer (MLS) in the future if the right deal came along.
"I would love to play in the MLS," said Hislop, who represented Howard University in the US National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) competition. "The United States is where I started my career or at least where I began playing serious football because I never played club football in Trinidad. So it is something I would love the opportunity to do."
His more immediate concern is Germany 2006 and he insisted that Trinidad and Tobago have a "fantastic" chance of qualifying for the FIFA senior competition for the first time. He suggested that the Gold Cup should be a stepping-stone for the five remaining World Cup qualifiers as it allows Beenhakker the chance to work with his team for a prolonged period.
Hislop is unsure of his role within the new administration but warned that his willingness to work in a lesser role did not mean he would roll over for his younger rivals.
"I am going to give my best and try to be number one," said Hislop. "If the coach sees otherwise, then I am happy to play a different role. But, rest assured, I will be doing my utmost to get the number one shirt."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 03:40:20 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ipswich Town court Hislop
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 08:36:28 AM »
if he sign that go be great.ipswich town is a good club and playing quite well.they only miss promotion to the premiership in the playoff.they finish third in the championship league and since they get relegated finishing in the top six all the time.who knows this could be their season to get promotion with shaka in goal.
mistakes are stepping stones to success

1]; } ?>