April 19, 2024, 01:29:27 AM

Author Topic: Jamaal Shabazz Thread  (Read 59119 times)

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaal Shabazz is new T&T football joint head coach
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
jamal shabazz cannot set foot nor  enter the u.s.  for very obvious reasons for being an active participant of the involving the insurrection that took place  but he shabazz call it differently as he prefer to call it personnal reasons , .......what a bunch a jokers.  a coach when assigned is to travel with his team wherever they are suppose to perform...... its just mindboggling  the decision to appoint this shabbazz man as joint head coach .... again is the same fackery all over again

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2012, 11:31:59 PM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:Jamaal Shabazz is the best Coach T&T have,give the man a chance.
Coop, it eh have nutten to do with that eh!!

the man is ah mercinary, don't forget that! he only care bout being in the limelight, i seriously doubt this byoi love T&T football.

i woulda love to see steven heart instead, even bertille st claire, but this man just finished with guyana ah team who just throw us out of the WC, and he had enough to say,

he even celebrated like ah man with an axe to grind, so why should he be allowed to coach us after we have a coach who is gettin results? this is ah real fackin b!tch slapp to the hardcore football fans in T&T! this was ah bad move by timkee, real bad!

this man just walked away from a job, matter of fact the paper he signed, the ink wasn't even dry when timkee went and bring in this man, not as an "assistant" but ah head coach, wah kind ah shit iz dat??

why not steven heart, why not pfister again, shabbaz? so who's next, alvin corneal??
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:37:01 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:Jamaal Shabazz is the best Coach T&T have,give the man a chance.
Coop, it eh have nutten to do with that eh!!

the man is ah mercinary, don't forget that! he only care bout being in the limelight, i seriously doubt this byoi love T&T football.

i woulda love to see steven heart instead, even bertille st claire, but this man just finished with guyana ah team who just throw us out of the WC, and he had enough to say,

he even celebrated like ah man with an axe to grind, so why should he be allowed to coach us after we have a coach who is gettin results? this is ah real fackin b!tch slapp to the hardcore football fans in T&T! this was ah bad move by timkee, real bad!

this man just walked away from a job, matter of fact the paper he signed, the ink wasn't even dry when timkee went and bring in this man, not as an "assistant" but ah head coach, wah kind ah shit iz dat??

why not steven heart, why not pfister again, shabbaz? so who's next, alvin corneal??
  All them men u call there alyu run them from T&T Football and who alyu eh run don't want the job,what Football fans T&T have?go Football in T&T and see how much people does attend games.Nobody eh go and bring Shabazz,Shabazz was always there he coach Women,Youth,Clubs all teams that nobody wants to coach he coach and was successful with them,he does even run courses for the TTFF Coaches,Bertille tell the TTFF to haul they ass he even throw back a medal they gave to him,our Football has a right to be the way it is because we like to recycle trash,look at the team Shabazz coaches it's a job no coach in T&T will accept,look at the area they are from instead of we commend the guy for what he is doing in the country we fighting him with he is a Mercinary,Taliban etc etc yu never hear Shabazz complain about money,treatment of players,the TTFF etc nobody has to beg him to coach T&T,that's why they like him and he gets the jobs,u don't realize he is a yes man.The man has to live and this is what he lives bye, how ever he does it or gets it does not matter to me,Shabazz understands the system in T&T and takes full advantage of it.     

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »
coops with all due respect bertille had every right to tell the then ttff to haul dey so and so with all the bs they were doing, and be reminded if i'm not mistaken  he was the first tnt coach to take a team from trinidad to a world cup tournament , with the likes of dwight yorke and others......... aye coops  shabazz passing some change for yuh or what ? its ttff  bro who is running and turning off the fans , supporters, and potential investors  to football who are more than willing to see an improvement in the manner in which  things are being done by ttff administration ,!!!!!   rest assured coops  the ttff and  its administration is still being watch with skepticism by many . shabazz appointment as joint head coach is a huge question mark until proven otherwise.....

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »
coops with all due respect bertille had every right to tell the then ttff to haul dey so and so with all the bs they were doing, and be reminded if i'm not mistaken  he was the first tnt coach to take a team from trinidad to a world cup tournament , with the likes of dwight yorke and others......... aye coops  shabazz passing some change for yuh or what ? its ttff  bro who is running and turning off the fans , supporters, and potential investors  to football who are more than willing to see an improvement in the manner in which  things are being done by ttff administration ,!!!!!   rest assured coops  the ttff and  its administration is still being watch with skepticism by many . shabazz appointment as joint head coach is a huge question mark until proven otherwise.....
So what u are saying,the TTFF should call him up to coach the national team?i know of Bertille exploits i worked with him at one time with that same team that went to the WC,i think he is a very good Coach.The TTFF always watching Coaches with skepticism,very few Coaches we ever had completed their contracts. 

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2012, 09:51:55 AM »
Yuh know, there are probably tons of things behind the scenes that we just don't know about this.
Maybe a dominant one is that we are no longer surviving on money-laundering dullahs and that the budget is back or almost back to the level of a typical broke-ass small-island caribbean country with or without interventiion or sabotage by Anil. Additionally, financial uncertainty hangs over the heads of TTFF like never before, with all kinda landmark lawsuits in the pipeline and more financial blows to come, more distrust of the public lingering. Low gate receipts and revenue as far as the eye can see.  I feel that for some time, we wil not see the reflex hiring of the next foreign coach with big or quasi-big names as we are in new unchartered territory and the TTFF is bankrupt with no longer any tongue-tied spethial advithor to ress dong some mysteriously diverted funds in brown envelopes ... "money from my own benevolent pockets", as he would call it, to bankroll the football teams and expensive coach as happened with Pfister etc.

On a less cynical note, there is a growing realization, partly triggered by the landmafrk Shabazz vs Pfister in Guyana ... with Shabazz shockingly coming out victorious, that our local coaches are gradually growing into a kind of self belief as they gain experience with the Proleague, taste exposure in Concacaf club competition exposure and shadow (like Hudson) under head coaches in the youth world cups, let alone beat larger tan life international opponents!. Long ago trinbagonians on this site, I believe, if asked "how would you rate Ross Russel, Angus Eve, Hudson Charles, Derek King, Leonson Lewis, Shabazz, Mc Comie, Rougier etc. as prospects for national coaching jobs at youth or national level ? ", the consensus would be "outright shittongs, all ah dem- God help us". Now, I suspect, many would probably give an upgrade response as: "talented with potential, probably in need of some help with 1-2  yrs worth of more badges with a li'l 3 month apprentice work in a european club". That's improvement and partly responsible for giving the selectors the comfort zone of taking a chance with them at caribbean level competition, even though caribbean level competition is not what it used to be and is a real crabs-in-de-barrrel grovel for survival. So there is a growing cadre of a new generation of coach leadership.

Other stuff like what young Cornmeal has as his agenda or what sneaky plan Tim Kee "de nex Jackulito jr?" is up to, I cyah say yet, but we will be watching closely. Can only say that I am glad that the "orginal Jackulito himself" is no longer "officially" involved. I know it's hard to see it, but daiz progress and socawarrior and football sector rebirth out of the reach his claws & fangs will be a slow, very painful but necessary process.

My instincts say let's give Hudson/Shabazz combo a chance. I also wonder if it is just coincidental that these new leader prospects are military man & "perceived" ghetto leader respectively. Some might see them as the kinda coaches who the players feel are able to relate to backgrounds of the players we have, that can get results out of the Guerras. Funnily enough, daiz not the kinda world that Cornmeal was brought up in. Many will rightly say is not cultural background but pure shear knowledge that matters. Some might say psychology matters. Cornmeal also needs to eat ah food and word had it that he wasn't geyying pay for quite a while, as Anil played hardball, and as technical director, he needs a program to regain the trust of the people before he gets shafted, although history seems to suggest that his job is seemingly permanently secure and repeatedly recycled, but better if he stays atop of the food chain as "technical director" still able to claim bragging rights for any wins when he goes travelling with the team and able to fire dong below when we lorse. A win-win if yuh ask me. Others may claim that he is the brightest football brain in our society, somehow unable to translate it into effective leadership on the ground, wih his ivory tower & cornvornt-like accent, he just needs the "roots" factor and trust factor from Barber and Mr Caledonia to complement him in the trenches.

One more thing. T&T got totally burned by Shabazz coaching Guyana and we learn we lesson. Put Shabazz on we side this time, somehow, anyhow and avoid dat catastrophe of early elimiation again.

We go see.
Go T&T. First day of reckoning Dec 7. Prayers
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:29:37 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
meh bro coops am not saying , sugested nor suggesting that bertille should be called by the ttff an appointed coach if  you check out carefully what i wrote .... what i referred to was bertille had every right at the time to tell off the then ttff for all madness/ bs they the ttff had been doing ..... another point is coops,  mr  jamal  shabazz has every right like all else to make a living if so by coaching  as his chosen field to feed his family, its not for me nor anyone else to deny him that . however  if a coach cannot freely travel with his team to tournaments its frustrating for all involved.... i'm still of the view that there  are other candidates who are quite capable of assisting hutson charles and his coaching staff and privleged to travel with the team  should  tnt qualify all those  factors should have been taken into account ...... again i wanna clear be  i did not suggest that bertille be called as joint coach  , but since u mention that don't u  think he can be useful ????.....was just a teasing   question :)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2012, 11:12:30 AM »
Nothing should come as a surprise from the TTFF; a surprise would be if they do decide to ever get it right! In principle, joint coaching duties may not adversely affect a program or team however in this case as inmost involving the TTFF, moves are never fully explainable nor do they apparently seem to have merit.

First, we have a young mostly local team that have achieved success despite the vast adversities in terms of funding, training and support. Their accomplishments in spite of it all, with a local and relatively inexperience international coach is much to be complimented for at these times. In what appeared to be attempts to move forward with our program, many have now been 'warming up' to accept this direction win or lose.

Now for the kicker, an appointment of a second coach. Why this particular coach? without being prejudicial of the man, could the TTFF outline the international; qualifications, assets, skills and experience, this coach will bring to the program to enhance the performance of our team? What are the advantages and the announcement of the timing to the program? Would someone of a Stephen Hart calibrate be more meritorious of this position?

If the TTFF could be more transparent in its appointments and clearly justify the criteria of such appointments, maybe we , the ordinary fan could be more accepting of the practices of the  said organization. I am not asking for a public declaration of the person's resume, just some clarity as to what strengths and what insights this person may have in moving our program forward.
Respectfully submitted to whomever from the TTFF that may find this worthy of  consideration.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »
meh bro coops am not saying , sugested nor suggesting that bertille should be called by the ttff an appointed coach if  you check out carefully what i wrote .... what i referred to was bertille had every right at the time to tell off the then ttff for all madness/ bs they the ttff had been doing ..... another point is coops,  mr  jamal  shabazz has every right like all else to make a living if so by coaching  as his chosen field to feed his family, its not for me nor anyone else to deny him that . however  if a coach cannot freely travel with his team to tournaments its frustrating for all involved.... i'm still of the view that there  are other candidates who are quite capable of assisting hutson charles and his coaching staff and privleged to travel with the team  should  tnt qualify all those  factors should have been taken into account ...... again i wanna clear be  i did not suggest that bertille be called as joint coach  , but since u mention that don't u  think he can be useful ????.....was just a teasing   question :)
  Regardless of what people think about Bertille includeing myself i think he can be very usefull for our Football,the guy has done a lot of good work for our country,the thing is when u have people who never satisfied and don't appreciate anything u do it hard.Now i will tease u with this question,well not a question really just want your thoughts,Shabazz coach Guyana,do u think they ever thought of him not being able to travel,all the factors that would affect him if they qualify and all the things we label him with? i wonder what their thoughts were     

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
  Regardless of what people think about Bertille includeing myself i think he can be very usefull for our Football,the guy has done a lot of good work for our country,the thing is when u have people who never satisfied and don't appreciate anything u do it hard.Now i will tease u with this question,well not a question really just want your thoughts,Shabazz coach Guyana,do u think they ever thought of him not being able to travel,all the factors that would affect him if they qualify and all the things we label him with? i wonder what their thoughts were     

Let him ovet throw they goverment and then ask them what they think of him.  :banginghead:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
lol coops yuh pull a lil political tease on meh dey pardner but here's my response whatever their reasoning that ah think yuh might have to ask jamal shabazz and he guyanese counterparts  that,  for  he and them  is  better positioned to answer whey yuh say?   just a teasing response  , .. ah think ah still learning meh craft in responding to questions :laugh: my concern is trinidad football  and its development not guyana football  ah want we to fix we house first.......... call it selfish  but ah want trini football back in the ranks within the region  and beyond  thats my concern meh bro ....... and by the way let me just  add ah lil piece on yuh behalf  thanks for the good  memorable ball yuh  played at defence  force , yuh was one ah fav players ......   breds  ah cyar forget them times thumbs up bro.....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
One more thing. T&T got totally burned by Shabazz coaching Guyana and we learn we lesson. Put Shabazz on we side this time, somehow, anyhow and avoid dat catastrophe of early elimiation again.

TT get burned because the jack screwed up Otto. Our preps for the WC was total SHIT. No practice games for the local based players. Played India  and think we can just go and beat anybody. Jack f--ked up the whole campaign by bringing Otto late and expecting magic. Meanwhile Shabazz had the time to mold Guyanese into believing they could beat TT and they did. He did a great job. His hands was not tied like Otto. After watching our game against India, we should have known it would be a long uphill battle. After TT what has Guy. done. A local team with consistent prep. and about 5 international warrmups could have beaten Guy.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »

TT get burned because the jack screwed up Otto. Our preps for the WC was total SHIT. No practice games for the local based players. Played India  and think we can just go and beat anybody. Jack f--ked up the whole campaign by bringing Otto late and expecting magic. Meanwhile Shabazz had the time to mold Guyanese into believing they could beat TT and they did. He did a great job. His hands was not tied like Otto. After watching our game against India, we should have known it would be a long uphill battle. After TT what has Guy. done. A local team with consistent prep. and about 5 international warrmups could have beaten Guy.

Good comments. No problem with these points  Deekos .... but still good to avoid our own people who know our own shitty, behind-de- scenes-going-on or dirty laundry, from coaching our opponents. Yep.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
lol coops yuh pull a lil political tease on meh dey pardner but here's my response whatever their reasoning that ah think yuh might have to ask jamal shabazz and he guyanese counterparts  that,  for  he and them  is  better positioned to answer whey yuh say?   just a teasing response  , .. ah think ah still learning meh craft in responding to questions :laugh: my concern is trinidad football  and its development not guyana football  ah want we to fix we house first.......... call it selfish  but ah want trini football back in the ranks within the region  and beyond  thats my concern meh bro ....... and by the way let me just  add ah lil piece on yuh behalf  thanks for the good  memorable ball yuh  played at defence  force , yuh was one ah fav players ......   breds  ah cyar forget them times thumbs up bro.....
Thanks breds appreciated,i can see why u are so hurt about our Football today,the thing is we are all hurt and not much we can do about it,don't frustrate yourself just abserve what's going on may be they will get it right some day.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »

Good comments. No problem with these points  Deekos .... but still good to avoid our own people who know our own shitty, behind-de- scenes-going-on or dirty laundry, from coaching our opponents. Yep.

Dreamer, we can't say that we must discourage Trinis from coaching other teams. What if TT had to play Holland. You think Benie man would said he go decline the job because he is Dutch. What would happen with Klinnsman if USA have to meet Germany? My take is when WC on the horizon, no time for bullshit, no politics and second guessing. We playing WC football since 66. We should have gone on 3 occasions. God gave us 1 chance. We have some pedigree. But admins. moving like amateurs. They make decision by vaps and always have the players on pins and needles. Our local players should always be prepared. We should be playing regular South American teams. Venezuela right dey and we doh even arrange a sweat. It have Ecuador , Colombia, Peru, Paraguay, Bolivia.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »
blessings coops  its all good .......... coops there are many people frustrated  not just me , i do believe all on this forum  feel the same despair , we want to see good / sound decision making by the elected /appointed personnal  who's given the responsibilities to do so with efficiency , and honesty... oh chit ..... damn ah feel jack listening........  all jokes aside there has got to be a longterm plan set in place for all our football programs overall .......for .  both men and women a longterm discipline approach is a good beginning ......  whats bothersome  also is that in both trinidad and tobago there are so many naturally  talented youths whose  talents are not being effectively nurtured and developed ..... like ah said ah just want we to fix and get we football house in order  it can be done

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shabazz responds to queries on his salary as Guyana’s head coach
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2014, 07:12:05 AM »
Shabazz responds to queries on his salary as Guyana’s head coach
Kaieteur News

It was my intention to stay out of Guyana’s football business, especially seeing that football has reached to so much strife, chaos and warfare, after what the Golden Jaguars has done to put Guyana on the world football map.

But how could I stay out when Mr. Eton Moses keeps trying to cast aspersions on my salary and my integrity? And moreso when in my homeland, Trinidad and Tobago and throughout the CONCACAF region, Jamaal Shabazz is seen as Guyanese.

In fact my wives and children see my strange attachment to Guyana as an addiction based on something “all yuh give meh to eat”.

But skip the small talk because Mr. Eton Moses has brought me back into Guyana’s football with his repeated pronouncements about my salary and assertions that under my tenure no “development took place in Guyana’s football.”

Well here goes Mr. Moses fasten your seatbelt and observe the no smoking sign because we are about to take off.

First, my agent demanded US$10,000 not US$6500 for my salary after I led Guyana to the semi final round of the FIFA World Cup in 2011, at the expense of Trinidad and Tobago. And I see myself worth even more than that because I do not share the slave mentality of most Caribbean coaches that we have to eat crumbs.

So you see Eton when Mr. Matthias sought to ridicule me by leaking my earnings to you and others he did not know that I am indeed happy. Because I want coaches in Guyana as I have always told them to value themselves and professionals and get off their hands and knees begging for pittance.

Whether I come from Buxton or Bel Air Mr. Moses I value my worth as a professional not just in the Caribbean but as a football technician in the world. I make no apologies for salary earned while working for Guyana’s football and will now show you our work.

I say our, because Guyana is still stuck in the one man autocratic style of leadership where leaders forget they are servants of a God and strive to demigod status. Football is about unity, bringing people together, working as a team and exciting and uniting a nation.

I had two stints for Guyana from 2005 to 2008 and then again from August 2011 to October 2012. On both occasions Aubrey “Shanghai” Major and Kashif Muhammad persuaded me to come to Guyana and on both occasions my main Assistant was Coach Wayne Wiggy Dover.

The statistics will prove that after a tremendous unbeaten run over some 13 friendly international matches, Guyana qualified for the CFU finals, was awarded the best mover in the FIFA rankings and gained the respect of our peers in the region.

Guyana played unbeaten in the first group with 5-0 wins against Suriname and Curaçao and a 1-0 win against Grenada. Then at the semi final stage we destroyed Antigua & Barbuda, Dominican Republic and Guadeloupe on home soil.

However, at the finals a 2-0 loss to St. Vincent, a 4-2 win against Guadeloupe and a 0-0 draw with Cuba saw us miss out on advancing to the final four by one goal less. At that point we had succeeded in taking the arrow head out of the dust and in so doing excited and united the hearts of the Guyana people similar to the Declaration of Independence on May 26 1966.

In the subsequent FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, we lost 2-0 and 3-1 to Suriname and saw our World Cup hopes dashed for 2010. I did not run and hide or make frivolous excuses, I took responsibility and as the GT people turned against me I took my Georgie bundle and humbly returned home to Trinidad albeit in tears.

During that period from my salary of around US$3000.00 a month I paid the monthly salary for a coach of Georgetown club Santos FC. I subsidized the salaries of members of staff. I bought training and match uniforms for the Guyana National team, funded training camps out my pockets and begged, borrowed and stole to ensure that a professional environment was created for the national programme. Let Mr. Matthias ask his friend and my friend Mark Phillips he will validate what I am saying.

During the period 2005 to 2009 I was paying 14 Guyana national team players in my club Caledonia AIA and helped to ensure at least 23 Guyana national team players were playing in the TT Pro League and receiving salaries, which at the time they could not get in Guyana.

Whether it was a fan, a journalist, a coach, administrator or player whenever a GT comes calling, I feel honored to help because I don’t like GT I love Guyana meh brother.

We got Guyanese living abroad like Colin Baker, Sheridan David, Faizal Khan and Garth Nelson just to name a few, to dip into their pockets and intellectual capacities to help. Thus, seeking to re-connect Guyana with Guyanese all over the world.

We introduced into the National programme players like JP Rodrigues, Christopher Nurse, the Newton Brothers, the Cort brothers and several players born to Guyanese parents living in North America and England.

You see unlike those local Guyanese coaches who are insecure about working with top professionals, coach Dover and I agreed with Marcus Garvey. Guyana for Guyanese, home or abroad.

Those who left should not be denied an opportunity for their children to represent this Blessed land because they migrated in search of a better life for their family. They still love their country.

So let’s talk about development, is it not development to create a professional environment for players to move from amateurs to professionals? Is it not development when you help in the growth and development of someone like Wayne Dover who has been oppressed in his country and is now one of the best coaches in the Caribbean?

But let’s quickly move forward to 2011 in our second stint Coach Dover and our Staff did the impossible- we beat Trinidad and Tobago on the 11 of November 2011 amidst a sea of yellow and golden people of Guyana at Providence. Were you there Mr. Moses or were you at that time counting my hard earned money?

I was one of two persons who negotiated a TV rights deal that brought One Million US dollars into the coffers of the Guyana Football Federation when the offer on the table was a measly US$30,000.

I petitioned the GFF to stand up to CFU to allow us to negotiate our own TV rights deal at a time when only Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago were allowed to do that. You guys want to keep Guyana football as a little cake stall, when football is a billion dollar industry.

My brother our vision was and still is big times or no times. Since 2012 Guyana has not played a single friendly international this is after Colin Baker and myself negotiated games for Guyana against opposition like Guatemala, Bolivia, Jamaica and Columbia. Countries better than us who could help us develop just by us being on the same stage.

Amidst opposition internally the then GFF hierarchy agreed to our proposal to develop a two tier national team system as practiced by the best countries in the world. Where we had the national team made up of the best local and foreign based players and a developmental team made up of young mainly but not elusively locally based talent.

We travelled to Martinique, Guadeloupe, Tobago, Grenada and St. Vincent with our development team. Out of that team we had Trayon Bobb and Daniel Wilson go off on stints to Europe, yes Europe and Bobb is now playing professionally in Lithuania. We were able to expose players like Colin Nelson, the deceased Colin Edwards, Pernel Schultz, Brandon Beresford, Jermaine Grandison, Clive Nobrega, Sheldon Holder and several other youths that can now carry the Guyana flag with quality in the senior team.

Development is not just lectures and training kids; it is also about exposing young players to regional and international opposition and opening doors for them to become professionals.

But tomorrow, God willing I will highlight some of the real problems and possible solutions because at the end of the day it is better for me to light a candle for Guyana than curse the darkness that has currently engulfed our blessed land.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: SHABAZZ WANTS TO GUIDE GUYANA TO DIGICEL FINALS
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2014, 07:39:29 AM »
Sounds fierce - what's the back story?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2014, 08:21:39 AM »

Heed the advice you dispense so liberally: read!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2014, 08:25:22 AM »
Certain countries resonate with certain people, for all the licks Shabazz gets for finding "resonance" in Guyana, there's really no underlying problem with a man being "so" interwoven with the fabric of progress in a land other than his.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2014, 11:53:15 AM »

Heed the advice you dispense so liberally: read!

Flex, Deeks and Tallman usually have a much more nuanced and in-depth view on topics like this. I'm not familiar with Guyanese news sources either.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »
In fact my wives and children see my strange attachment to Guyana

My Wives!!!!

I really don't know much about Guyana football. Maybe the guy tired of Shabazz, a foreigner. Just like some of us fed up of TT hiring foreign coaches or too much foreigners on the pro teams. This one came straight out of left field. I really don't know what to say of this. Shabazz has a close affinity to Guyana, like the way Wooter had for TT, Guyana, Greneda, St. Vincent and other islands.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2014, 05:57:50 AM »
Shabazz challenges leaders to stop talk and deliver
Kaieteur News

The real issues facing Guyana football as it is with Caribbean football is leadership. The exit of Jack Warner and his key soldiers across the region has left room for a new leadership to emerge. But what we have not seen are leaders who have demonstrated an ability to bring about real change and according to Basdeo Panday, what we end up getting is exchange.

For example Mr. Matthias and his crew can no longer complain about what the last administration did or did not do. That could only buy you a few months as the wool drops off the eyes of the masses. People want to see what you are doing and not just hear talk and bad talk against your predecessors.

So when Mr. Matthias gets his scribes to write stuff about my salary and people like Mr. Moses feel he is a big Pharisee they forget I am Jamaal, my name is not Jesus. And while this is the season of the crucifixion the people want to see production.

The current GFF say they are focusing on development yet the national team has not played a single game in two years. This shows they do not have a clue of how football development takes place.

They lack in the reality that Caribbean people have become stupefied by a certain kind of rhetoric.

When people desire power they campaign using watchwords like transparency, accountability and inclusion but when they get power they often become worse than the Dictators whom they replaced.

So Mr. President show us some transparency, how have decisions been made in your new GFF? Has there been inclusion and consultation with stakeholders in the game? Or has it been all about I, do as I say and let no dog bark.

A good leader is able to mobilize the elements and resources available to him or her and despite the challenges, get people to work together for the common good. Football has demonstrated the ability to bring people together in Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and even Guyana when the national teams were doing well.

All over the football, Governments and even the corporate sector have used the spirit that football generates, to promote their cause, goods or services. So while a football President does not have to be a Mandela or a Gandhi he must possess the quality to get people working together.

I have not seen people, despite having differences, trying to work together in Guyana. I see bitterness, alienation and the sidelining of stakeholders who can contribute but were on the opposite side of the electoral fence.

In Guyana, Mr. Matthias wants to pay the National Coach US$600 a month and the coach is expected to bring unprecedented success. He does not want the foreign born nor top local based players because he wants to pay players US$10 a day when on international duty.

And the Assistant Coach happy to get US$300 and claim he loves his country. You don’t love your country, you love mediocrity. By accepting this you are not helping the nation you are putting coaches back on the plantation. Can Mr. Matthias feed his family on those meagre earnings?

If a federation has an executive with nobody capable of bringing money into the programme they must either bring that intellect or person into the organization or vacate office. In the Caribbean they give the coaches nothing and want results but what yardstick do we use to evaluate the performances of our administrators.

People who do will make mistakes but people who do nothing will remain perfect yet they will be incapable of getting the job done. As Bob Marley said you can fool some people sometimes but you cannot fool all the people all the time. Open your eyes GT your time is now.

Jamaal Shabazz

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2014, 09:47:53 AM »
Summary of th bacchanal at Guyana;

Here

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2014, 04:31:03 AM »
Eton Moses responds to Shabazz missive
Kaieteur News

Dear Editor,
I am grateful to be allowed in my second attempt to reply to Mr. SHABAZZ’s missives (14/4/25&26 KN) in your space. I dare say to Mr. Shabazz that every club in Guyana is part of the GFF and that his employment arrangement is our business, hence nothing about that should be a secret that ought to be leaked. As Mr. Sealey would have opined the General Council (Associations) should have known leading to all the Clubs knowing. We have all right to question the financial dealings whether you like it or not.

Mr. Editor, Shabazz’s earnings at the GFF is not a module, what is under focus is the financial arrangement in place at the time, given the fact that those who managed that era now see themselves as saviors of football in Guyana which they left in the reds.

I can defend my point Mr. Shabazz, that there is growth without development, hence when you and associates pursued improved FIFA ranking, they collapsed the national youth programme and did not register for the CFU U15, and did not train coaches to replace you. Or is that development for you? Was this planned just for you to EAT since you helped secure the sponsorship? Mr. Editor Guyana was told on 25/4/14 that it would be given solutions to its football problems but I am still looking. I went searching for his development modules and training manuals that he would have developed for the GFF when he was Technical Director but I found none. Did you develop any Mr. Shabazz?

It is against this backdrop that I issue a challenge to you, Sealey, et al, that Buxton will pay for an hour air time to discuss issues of Football development in Guyana at any point in the last 20 years and on any subject area. I will walk with a panelist of my choice and you, et al are afforded the same. In this way our collective energies will be directed to a singular purpose.

Mr. Editor, while Mr. Shabazz ponders on my invitation he can answer these questions:
Where in the world else will YOU get 36 paid trips home in a one year contract?
Where else in the world would YOU have an undated contract that involves so much US $.
Which country could YOU advise that YOU and Team be given a bonus (US$$) for losing the game?
For which country YOU would have been allowed to bring back players that abandon a World Cup team to be part of a Caribbean tournament and they abandon that country a second time in weeks?
Were Tobago United and TT U23 better than Guyana after we beat the Trinidad national team?
Is the bonus ratio $30,000US for team and $20,000US for Coach a given when YOU are dealing with countries that have begging Coaches?
Which professional football athlete has Mr. Shabazz produced for Guyana?
Did his best coach in Guyana ever train a youth player or have a youth department at his local Club?

Mr. Editor there is this notion that Guyana football will be better off if it had played more international matches but this is an argument I buy with salt. We first need to mold a National Youth Unit with the 2016 Olympics in mind and the 2018 World Cup, since 80% of those who have failed us are in need of legs and ideas. Guyana should remember that a number of these players had abandoned Guyana twice, hence is it prudent to reinvest in them against the present financial constrains? To secure what Mr. Editor, many of them are neither the present nor the future. The present administration was left cash strapped, but is lectured on what to pay- one of the many follies in logics.

Those who want us to go big time must do things explicit or implicit to enable structures to be cemented to aid development, religious and philosophical jargons would not Mr. SHABAZZ.

In Service,
Eton Moses

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2014, 05:40:19 AM »
well.... look at bacchanal !!

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2014, 05:51:30 AM »
GFF Congress ends abruptly as no confidence motion defeated; FIFA official disappointed
Sportsdesk

The ordinary congress of the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) on Saturday ended abruptly, as chaos and a strong exchange of views dominated the highly anticipated congress, which was to debate a no confidence motion against embattled GFF President Christopher Matthias.

Trouble was in sight after the meeting started, when a heated exchange forced the GFF –appointed electoral committee abandoned post and left the meeting.

The electoral committee chaired by Parliamentary Secretary in the Health Ministry Joseph Hamilton and includes Guyana Olympic Association Vice-President Charles Corbin and Attorneys-at-law Euclin Gomes and Dawn Holder.

This was followed by more than two hours of heated debate of a vote of no-confidence against Matthias and one of his executives Keith O’Jeer.

The motion was brought by former GFF president and current secretary of the East Bank of Demerara Football Association (EBDFA) Franklin Wilson and endorsed by the East Coast Demerara Football Association.

General Secretary of the Georgetown Football Association (GFA) Odinga Lumumba attempted to move that the motion be the first item on the agenda, which ended in a deadlock vote of 9-9 vote.

Lumumba told reporters that he was disappointed with the decision.

“I think we have no choice at this time (but) to appeal to CONCACAF or FIFA and try to get some form of justice and find some resolution to this matter I think in the interim period. I think it is a sad day for football, but if that’s what people want, that’s what they will get and we would like to see football move forward,  we will have to sit down as a group and determine what our next step will be.,” a disappointed Lumumba said.

President of the Guyana Football Referees Council (GFRC) Alfred King questioned the legality of some of the associations that were allowed to vote.

“We just recognized that the motion that was moved by East Bank and seconded by the East Coast was just defeated by virtually the fact that there were some illegal delegates attending on behalf of Essequibo, Linden, as well as the Bartica Football Associations, we believe that is a blatant breach of the constitution.” he said.

Earlier this week, Mathias accused both Lumumba and King of wanting to take over football in Guyana on behalf of the government, an accusation they have rejected.

Meanwhile in an invited comment, FIFA’s Development Officer Howard McIntosh who was here along with CONCACAF’s Director of Legal Affairs Marco Leal and CONCACAF’s Legal Advisor Bruce Blake, as observers of the congress, said he and his colleauges were disappointed with how thing went during the congress, but is hopeful judgment will prevail before the aborted congress is reconvene in 45 days

“Ii and and the other representatives here, FIFA and CONCACAF are disappointed in what has occurred, that the congress did not go the full course. However we are hopeful based on discussions that were held that resolutions will be reached in the short term, in the interest of football and in particular, in the interest of the stakeholders in football,” McIntosh said.

Over the past few years, football in Guyana has been overshadowed by allegations of financial fraud, power struggles and personality clashes.

But while this has been happening, the Golden Jaguars, the country’s national male football team and the Lady Jags, the female national team have been languishing when it comes to international fixtures

The two teams have not played as full units for more than two years and many of the players, especially those on the men’s team have migrated, seeking to continue to ply their trade and continue to develop their sport.

Guyana is drafted in the upcoming Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Championships starting in May and questions are now asked whether or not there could be a full strength team.

The GFF selected a makeshift 50-man squad for encampment, but notably most of the experienced national players were not included.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2014, 06:27:47 AM »
Could there be a correlation between 36 trips home and ... "my wives and children"?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This One’s For you, Jamaal Shabazz
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
This One’s For you, Jamaal Shabazz
By Sunity Maharaj (T&T Express)

Missing from the euphoria surrounding the Women Warriors was any notion of how this team of women footballers, fierce, united and impassioned, had found their way to the edge of World Cup possibility.

It was as if this team had come out of thin air, ready-made for action and success until Monica Quinteros’ fateful goal dashed our collective hopes. Lost in the hype was the story of what it had taken for T&T to have a national women’s football team that could fill us with pride and fill a whole stadium on a Tuesday evening.

In the sensation were buried three important names in women’s football: coaches Jamal Shabazz and Marlon Charles and sport educator/administrator, Dr Iva Gloudon.

While national women’s football has its genesis in the late 1980s, the pivotal moment came in 2000 when the national team hit rock bottom in the CONCACAF Women’s Gold Cup, going down ten-nil against the US having not fared much better against other competition. Back home, disintegration seemed the most likely outcome for a team that had sparked no interest from the home crowd. Indeed, for many, the idea of women playing football was still jokey and even offensive.

After ten-nil, where does one go?

Inside his bunker of depression, coach Shabazz found the support and encouragement he needed from Dr Gloudon, an outstanding national hockey player and then director of Sport & Physical Education at The University of the West Indies, St Augustine. These days Dr Gloudon is the T&T High Commissioner to Jamaica with accreditation to Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

Convinced by Dr Gloudon, the two developed a strategic plan and began the long, hard process of building a new team, starting from scratch, knowing that the Gold Cup team had reached its end.

For months, Shabazz scoured high schools looking for talent, pitching the joys and rewards of football and promoting the opportunities that could come a girl’s way through the beautiful game.

On the day of screening, over 100 teenagers turned up, coming from schools all over the country, bidding for selection. In the end, about 40 were chosen for the programme, most of them, like today’s captain Maylee Attin-Johnson, around the ages of 14 and 15.

For a year and a half, they were drilled, training four days a week, with no competition in sight, no money in their pockets but motivated by love of game and a coach who kept their eyes on the dream, while fighting teenage impulses to rebel or quit.

By 2003, the investment was beginning to turn the tide. Although they again lost against the US, the Under-20 women’s team turned in an encouraging performance in a 3-1 defeat.

Existing on the sidelines of the public imagination, the young women honed their game and kept their eyes on the dream beyond the reality of their lives which, in many cases, was one of poverty and limited choices. The compelling stories of many of these girls were told in the “Woman on the Ball” segment of the 2008 TV series Total Football produced by Shabazz and myself.

For years, ‘the dream’ was what Shabazz dangled to keep youths in football, both on the women’s team and in Caledonia, Morvant where he offered football as an escape from crime and the daily nightmare of sudden death.

In the absence of structure, Shabazz was a football hustler, using every contact available to him to open scholarship doors in the United States, Europe and elsewhere. 

Now with a new women’s team in development, he and Dr Gloudon devised a strategic plan for the girls’ further education on a mass scale. By the time they graduated from high school, about 30 of them had offers for football scholarships to colleges and universities in the US.

Fourteen years later, almost all the teenagers who were selected for the development programme are university graduates in a wide range of fields, including accounting, psychology, sport and business administration. Several have found loves and lives outside of T&T where, as part of our football/education diaspora, they are the ones now opening the doors of football opportunity for another generation of young women. The question now is what development plan will succeed the one that had brought these women to this point of personal, professional and football achievement?

Captain Maylee Attin-Johnson, a woman whose rise is as remarkable as the story of her life, was right to let us know that these educated women of football need jobs. Indeed, they need more than jobs. They need a new strategic plan for converting the currency of their academic education, football training, life experiences, national commitment and passion into national and personal capital. It takes more than a match to make football careers, but it will take football careers to carry us to a World Cup match.

Coach Shabazz is probably heartbroken over his girls’ defeat.

After 11 years working with this group, and another five invested in his 16 years in women’s football, he would know more than anyone how easy it is for the team to slip from our fickle hearts when the lights go down.

But heartbreak would be nothing new for this football soldier whose life has had its fill of lost souls and lost causes, the most damning of which was surely his involvement in the 1990 attempted coup in his misguided attempt at change. Having publicly apologised to the nation, Shabazz has sought and found his redemption in football.

To him, Dr Gloudon and Marlon Charles who plotted the path that gave coach Randy Waldrum and his team the possibilities of last Tuesday, this column offers a warm thank you.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:23:28 AM by Flex »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Shabazz steps down as woman head coach.
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2014, 04:39:56 PM »
Shabazz doh need to be back with the women's program. They need to keep him away, far.

Shabazz had his chance with quality players at his disposal and could never even get them playing at a high level.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>