March 28, 2024, 03:27:47 AM

Author Topic: Jamaal Shabazz Thread  (Read 58695 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Jamaal Shabazz Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 02, 2018, 01:35:06 AM »
Shabazz: Football's opposition politics, bitterly obstructive.
By Keith Clement (Guardian).

John-Williams is not Moses but he is cer­tain­ly not the shai­tan

On No­vem­ber 24 the T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion (TTFA) held its hat the An­nu­al Gen­er­al Meet­ing (AGM) at the UWI Fac­ul­ty Lounge -The Fac­ul­ty of So­cial Sci­ences, UWI, St Au­gus­tine but af­ter on­ly reach­ing nine items on the agen­da the meet­ing was ad­journed to Sun­day 9 De­cem­ber 2018 at 10:00 am.

Nine items on the agen­da were com­plet­ed, name­ly:

* Roll Call

* De­c­la­ra­tion that the An­nu­al Gen­er­al Meet­ing has been con­vened and com­posed in com­pli­ance with the Con­sti­tu­tion.

* Ap­proval of the Agen­da.

* Ad­dress by the Pres­i­dent David John-Williams.

* Ap­point­ment of del­e­gates to check the min­utes.

* Ap­point­ment of scru­ti­neers (for the Pres­i­dent’s Ad­dress)

* Sus­pen­sion of ex­plo­sion of mem­bers (Noth­ing for Dis­cus­sion).

* Au­dit re­port pre­sent­ed by Au­di­tor and ap­proved by the Gen­er­al Mem­ber­ship

* Elec­tion of the Mem­bers of the Board of Di­rec­tors (Rayshawn Mars [North­ern FA), Ban­dele Ka­mau [East­ern FA], Col­in Par­tap [Cen­tral FA], Sharon War­rick [WOLF] and Ju­lia Bap­tiste [TT Pro League].

Out­stand­ing items for the re­con­vened meet­ing are as fol­lows:

* Mo­tion of No Con­fi­dence in the Pres­i­dent

* Ap­proval of the fi­nan­cial state­ments for 2017

* Ap­proval of the 2019 Bud­get

* Pro­posed amend­ment to the Con­si­tu­tion

* Busi­ness aris­ing from the Ap­proval of the min­utes of the pre­ced­ing gen­er­al meet­ings (In­com­plete as the meet­ing was ad­journed dur­ing this process.

* Oth­er Busi­ness

Fol­low­ing the con­clu­sion of the first half of the meet­ing, Guardian Sports spoke to the for­mer na­tion­al coach and gen­er­al coun­cil mem­ber of the TTFA Ja­mal Shabazz about his views on the meet­ing. He de­clared to us, "That in my ef­forts to be trans­par­ent, I must de­clare be­fore an­swer­ing any ques­tion in this in­ter­view that I am a friend of David John-Williams and I cam­paigned for his slate in the 2015 TTFA elec­tion.

Q. What was your gen­er­al sum­ma­riza­tion of last Sat­ur­day's TTFA AGM?

Any ex­er­cise that al­lows the stake­hold­ers in our foot­ball to meet and dis­cuss is wel­comed by me. At times the meet­ing was bru­tal but it's bet­ter we bat­tle our dif­fer­ences in one room than wash foot­ball's dirty linen in pub­lic.

The dif­fer­ence of opin­ions is healthy I ac­tu­al­ly learn a lot from the process.

Q. Is Pres­i­dent David John-Williams work­ing for foot­ball or for David John-Williams from what you have seen from the ad­min­is­tra­tion since he be­cause of Pres­i­dent?

Pres­i­dent David John Williams has made gen­uine ef­forts to take foot­ball for­ward and I will bring ex­am­ples. But our cul­ture in or­ga­ni­za­tions have been to rock back and let a sav­iour do all the work, then when they start be­com­ing uni­lat­er­al in their de­ci­sion mak­ing we then try to cru­ci­fy the sav­iour.

This ad­min­is­tra­tion has been the first in our his­to­ry to ac­tive­ly make an ef­fort to ad­dress debts that they came and met.

They have en­sured that the Se­nior Na­tion­al Men's Team play on all the Fi­fa Match dates in­clud­ing play­ing against some top op­po­nents.

They had on con­tract se­nior women's foot­ballers re­ceiv­ing a month­ly salary for a year and a half.

They ac­quired land are build­ing a home for foot­ball and sig­nif­i­cant­ly in­creased the as­set base of the TTFA.

Q. Is any of the crit­i­cisms with re­gards to his man­age­ment style fac­tu­al?

DJW comes out of a suc­cess­ful club back­ground and the build­ing in­dus­try. He has grown ac­cus­tomed to be­ing ag­gres­sive in de­ci­sion mak­ing and mak­ing de­ci­sions to ex­pe­dite mat­ters and take ad­van­tage of op­por­tu­ni­ties with the here and now ap­proach.

The run­ning of the TTFA be­cause of its many stake­hold­ers de­mand a greater in­ter­ac­tion and con­sul­ta­tion with its Board. I think he can im­prove in that area.

Q. Is the Home of Foot­ball good for the sport or not?

The build­ing of the Home of Foot­ball is the best thing that has hap­pened to T&T foot­ball since qual­i­fy­ing for the 2006 World Cup in Ger­many.

With­out even go­ing in­to the com­mer­cial po­ten­tial the mere fact that our na­tion­al teams will now have a place to eat, sleep and drink foot­ball is a ma­jor ben­e­fit.

The work of the coach­es, play­ers and ad­min­is­tra­tors to use these fa­cil­i­ties to de­vel­op our foot­ball and get re­sults on the field is what will turn this house in­to a true home for foot­ball.

Q. As some­one with a vote at the AGM, is Pres­i­dent David John-Williams open and trans­par­ent with the gen­er­al mem­ber­ship?

There were some is­sues with re­gard to mak­ing it pub­lic who was giv­en the con­tracts re­gard­ing build­ing the "Home of Foot­ball". I would have liked the Pres­i­dent to han­dle it dif­fer­ent­ly.

How­ev­er, there is a heavy lev­el of dis­trust re­gard­ing how his de­trac­tors use in­for­ma­tion re­ceived with­in the TTFA. One crew us­es it and of­ten twists it on so­cial and main­stream me­dia aimed at show­ing the TTFA in a neg­a­tive light. This be­cause there is a group in the foot­ball fra­ter­ni­ty prac­tis­ing op­po­si­tion pol­i­tics and prov­ing to be bit­ter­ly ob­struc­tive.

So far in­for­ma­tion com­ing out of the AGM is pro­vid­ing an­swers to a lot of ques­tions and shed­ding light on a lot of lit­i­ga­tion brought against the John-Williams ad­min­is­tra­tion for ac­tions of pre­vi­ous ad­min­is­tra­tions.

Q. Do you be­lieve that those who at­tend the meet­ing (AGM) are fair in their crit­i­cisms of the Pres­i­dent from what you have seen from at­tend­ing the AGM?

The op­po­nents of David John-Williams are more skil­ful than him in pre­sent­ing half of the sto­ry to so­cial me­dia. How come nowhere have they re­port­ed the scan­dal that has been un­earthed re­gard­ing a for­mer pres­i­dent and an al­leged email and sworn af­fi­davit?. I am sur­prised they have not cho­sen to buss that mark.

Q. What is your view with re­gards the No Con­fi­dence mo­tion against the Pres­i­dent?

The no-con­fi­dence mo­tion is a sham­bol­ic at­tempt by a few peo­ple who want to gain the pow­er to scut­tle David John- Williams term in of­fice. What they claim as mis­steps by his ad­min­is­tra­tion does not war­rant him to be re­moved from of­fice We have seen past ad­min­is­tra­tions made far worst mis­takes and the cur­rent de­trac­tors tongues were tied.

But there is some­thing about the Home of Foot­ball be­ing built that would show cer­tain peo­ple in a bad light that makes the at­tacks against the Pres­i­dent very per­son­al.

The AGM will de­ter­mine at the end of the Pres­i­dent has the con­fi­dence of foot­ball's stake­hold­ers or not.

Q. Would you sup­port an amend­ment to the con­sti­tu­tion for a sim­ple ma­jor­i­ty to have the Pres­i­dent re­moved from of­fice?

No, I would not sup­port an amend­ment for a sim­ple ma­jor­i­ty to re­move a Pres­i­dent from of­fice in foot­ball. Bring­ing about change in foot­ball re­quires un­pop­u­lar de­ci­sions at times. So if a few peo­ple are against the lead­er­ship that's not enough they must be able to con­vince 2/3 ma­jor­i­ty of their ra­tio­nale.

A prece­dent of sim­ple ma­jor­i­ty re­moval in foot­ball's gov­er­nance could set a desta­bi­liz­ing ef­fect in the fu­ture of foot­ball.

The big­ger ques­tion is why are they so afraid of David John-Williams fin­ish­ing his fi­nal year in of­fice. John-Williams is not Moses but he is cer­tain­ly not the shai­tan they are mak­ing him out to be.

Q. For­mer TTFA Pres­i­den­tial can­di­date Ramesh Ramd­han wrote in a Face­book post last week that cur­rent Board mem­bers Kei­th Look Loy and An­tho­ny Haf­ford are po­si­tion­ing them­selves to re­place David John-Williams as Pres­i­dent, do you agree or not?

There are sev­er­al per­sons who want to put their hands on the pow­er in the of­fice of foot­ball and they are en­ti­tled to put them­selves for­ward via the elec­toral process. How­ev­er, the time has come for the as­pi­rants to do more than bad talk.

They must present so­lu­tions to key is­sues like how we are go­ing to ser­vice the huge debt in­her­it­ed in the TTFA.

Al­so this type of op­po­si­tion pol­i­tics be­ing prac­tised by at­tempt­ing to ob­struct gov­er­nance and ridicule the foot­ball lead­er­ship with half-truths and in­nu­en­dos it will back­fire when they come to pow­er. Wait and let's see.

Q. Is the TTFA bet­ter off to­day than it was be­fore David John-Williams be­came Pres­i­dent?

I think the TTFA as an or­ga­ni­za­tion is bet­ter off to­day in terms of ad­dress­ing its debts, in­creas­ing its as­set-based and lay­ing the plat­form for self-suf­fi­cien­cy.

How­ev­er, the poor cash flow has af­fect­ed the fund­ing and fi­nanc­ing of prepa­ra­tions for the na­tion­al teams.

So the re­sults on the field are not great at the mo­ment, how­ev­er, some­times the for­est needs to be burnt down for the grass to grow green­er and more pro­duc­tive.

Q. What would you like to see the Pres­i­dent do dif­fer­ent­ly go­ing for­ward?

I want to see the Pres­i­dent en­gage more with the stake­hold­ers in foot­ball. We should not wait on AGMs to dis­cuss is­sues faced in the leagues, clubs and mem­ber as­so­ci­a­tions. Bi­lat­er­al meet­ings and even quar­ter­ly meet­ings with stake­hold­ers will be bet­ter.

Af­ter every Board meet­ing, there must be some in­ter­ac­tion with the me­dia to keep the pub­lic abreast of what they need to know. Some­times we fear to be the bear­er of bad news, but the jour­ney in gov­er­nance will have mo­ments when the news is not al­ways good.

Q. How do you rate David John-Williams against, Ray­mond Tim Kee and Oliv­er Camps on a scale from 1 to 10?

I see no com­par­i­son be­cause John-Williams is a hands-on foot­ball in­tel­lect who is ca­pa­ble of pre­sent­ing a vi­sion and so­lu­tions to foot­ball prob­lems even at the world lev­el.

Mr Camps was a nice guy con­trolled by a pup­pet mas­ter. He had very lit­tle to do with de­ci­sion mak­ing and his naivety as to what was re­al­ly go­ing on in the or­ga­ni­za­tion has placed him un­fair­ly so; in a most pre­car­i­ous sit­u­a­tion to­day.

Mr Tim Kee is a smooth savvy ex­ec­u­tive with lim­it­ed knowl­edge of how to take the game for­ward. His el­e­va­tion to pres­i­den­cy came about with an al­most sis­sy like de­fec­tion of his op­po­nent at that time.

When the truth comes out about Mr Tim Kee's re­liance on Shel­don Phillips as Gen­er­al Sec­re­tary, it will make in­ter­est­ing read­ing.

I dare jour­nal­ists in main­stream and so­cial me­dia to pur­sue it.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2019, 03:48:07 AM »
Shabazz, the Caribbean man.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

Ex-TT coach on FIFA role, Gold Cup, future

JAMAAL Shabazz, the former T&T and Guyana men's head coach, believes he is the epitome of what it means to be a Caribbean man. Shabazz, 55, recently received a two-year appointment to the IFAB (International Football Association Board) Football Advisory Panel (FAP).

The panel, along with the Technical Advisory Panel, advises IFAB on potential changes to the laws of the game.

Speaking to Newsday on Thursday, Shabazz said, “It’s an opportunity to widen my scope and see how I could represent (Concacaf), with the guidance of the technical people, as it relates to what they would like represented at that level.

“The people in Concacaf might want you to put forward their perspective. So, it’s not me on my accord, it’s representing Concacaf and their viewpoints at that level.”

The Morvant Caledonia technical director immediately debunked the idea his future lies in an office, revealing he is currently negotiating for a job that will require him to be on the football field.

“In no way am I prepared to leave the field. I am, at this stage, in negotiations with another country with regards to their national programme. At that stage, I still intend to take the field as a coach,” he said.

Asked where the country is located, Shabazz replied, “In the Caribbean. You know I’m a Caribbean man. The only man who is more Caribbean than me is Black Stalin.”

On his IFAB appointment, Shabazz said, “It was interesting that Concacaf could have chosen me. I felt very humbled. I’m willing to put my best foot forward. It’s not a job. It’s just me being on a committee.”

Shabazz will be required to attend around three FAP meetings per year.

During his lengthy coaching career, Shabazz twice held positions as Guyana men’s team coach, from 2005-2008 and 2011-2012.

In his latter stint with the Golden Jaguars, he famously guided his team to a 2-1 win over the visiting T&T squad, at the Providence Stadium, on November 11, 2011 – a result which ended T&T’s hopes of qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

TT will meet Guyana, Panama and co-hosts United States in Group D of the Concacaf Gold Cup, from June 15 to July 7.

Shabazz has warned the T&T team of underestimating Guyana again.

Shabazz said, “I felt very worried for T&T and one of my best friends (coach) Dennis Lawrence. Why? Because I know the tendency by Trinidad fans to underestimate Guyana.

“But, given the squad that they have now, once they can better organise themselves defensively, I think they would be a formidable opponent.”

T&T are set to face the US for the first time since the October 10, 2017 clash at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, with T&T prevailing 2-1 to end the Americans' chances of progressing to the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

“It’s really an interesting group for T&T, meeting the USA again – which would certainly be a match that would hold no bars, there would be no love lost in that game,” Shabazz said.

“All and all, I think it’s an exciting group. It should spark the interest of the wider Caribbean and the entire Concacaf.”

RELATED NEWS

Shabazz gets prestigious international appointment, replaces Shaka on IFAB.
Wired868.com.

Former Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Senior Team head coach Jamaal Shabazz will spend the next two years helping to shape the laws of the world’s most popular sport, as the Morvant Caledonia United co-owner revealed his appointment to the International Football Association Board’s (IFAB) football advisory panel.

The IFAB, which comprises of a member each from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and FIFA, is the only body authorised to make changes to the laws of the game and is technically independent from the world governing body—although the latter organisation has a 50 per cent vote on all board matters while a 75 per cent threshold is required from all members to make amendments.

The IFAB describes itself as ‘the independent guardian of the Laws of the Game […] with the goal to improve and develop the game for players, match officials and fans while protecting and strengthening the spirit and simplicity of football’.

Shabazz, who campaigned for Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams at the last general election and for his failed bid for the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) presidency, effectively replaces compatriot and former World Cup 2006 goalkeeper Shaka Hislop on the prestigious committee.

Hislop, once the England Premier League’s most expensive goalkeeper and now an analyst for ESPN, saw his two-year term with IFAB end earlier this month. During his tenure, the IFAB implemented the VAR (video assistant referees) system as well as allowed for the use of a fourth substitute and changed the rule for handball.

Hislop served alongside several household football names like former Croatia and AC Milan star midfielder Zvonimir Boban, ex-South Korea stand out Ji Song Park, former World Cup and Champions League champion Christian Karembeu and two former Trinidad and Tobago coaches Francisco Maturana and Carolina Morace.

“It was an honour to serve the game in this capacity and at this level,” said Hislop. “The opportunity has given me a better appreciation of the game’s inner workings and decision making processes.”

It is now Shabazz’s turn at the head table. The former Jamaat Al-Muslimeen insurrectionist who went on to serve his country as coach of an array of national football teams—and with a successful stint in Guyana as well—will travel business class to Europe over the next two years to help decide on the future laws of the game.

Shabazz’s appointment came on the recommendation of Concacaf while his appointment letter said his selection was based on his ‘profound football background, experience and expertise’.

Shabazz, who resigned from the Women Soca Warriors in July, declined comment on his new post.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #242 on: May 06, 2019, 12:22:51 AM »
Shabazz signs as St Lucia coach.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Ja­mal Shabazz is the new St Lu­cia, foot­ball coach. He fol­lows in the foot­steps of his com­pa­tri­ot Rus­sell Lat­apy who gave up coach­ing in T&T to pick up a more lu­cra­tive of­fer in Bar­ba­dos re­cent­ly.

Shabazz was coach of the T&T's Women's teams, but he stepped down to re­turn to his club team Mor­vant Cale­do­nia Unit­ed in the T&T Pro League. Yes­ter­day how­ev­er word spread that Shabazz, a for­mer Guyana Na­tion­al team coach, had signed on the dot­ted line on a two-year deal.

Con­tact­ed Shabazz con­firmed the ap­point­ment, say­ing he is ex­cit­ed to take up the new chal­lenge, giv­en his coach­ing stints with Guyana and T&T.

"It's a new project with the St Lu­cia peo­ple and cer­tain­ly some­thing I look for­ward to," Shabazz said. He added, "As a de­vout Mus­lim this new op­por­tu­ni­ty is even more sig­nif­i­cant for me, as it comes dur­ing the holy month of Ra­madan." Shabazz is sched­uled to be­gin work on the na­tion­al team lat­er this week.

Ac­cord­ing to Shabazz, "Since Ca­lyp­son­ian Stal­in sang the song Caribbean Man, I have al­ways shared that view, and foot­ball is an op­por­tu­ni­ty for me to ex­press my­self in that way ide­o­log­i­cal­ly."

Since ac­cept­ing the coach­ing job, Shabazz has been warm­ing up with the coun­try's Elite Women's Pro­gramme. He said he has been out of touch with coach­ing so he de­cid­ed to get his feet wet once again be­fore go­ing to St Lu­cia.

He re­places Fran­cis “Panko” Mc Don­ald who man­aged the St Lu­cian team, dur­ing the Wind­ward Is­lands Se­nior Foot­ball Tour­na­ment and the ear­ly stages of the Na­tion’s League.

Pres­i­dent of the St Lu­cia Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion Lyn­don Coop­er made the an­nounce­ment of Shabazz's ap­point­ment and said the T&T coach will bring with him a wealth of tech­ni­cal ex­pe­ri­ence. Coop­er mean­while is set to be giv­en a new man­date by League af­fil­i­ates on the is­land and that he plans to take foot­ball to high­er heights.

RELATED NEWS

Shabazz welcomes new opportunity.

Ex-TT, Guyana coach signs two-year deal with St Lucia…

FORMER TT and Guyana coach Jamaal Shabazz has signed a two-year deal as the new coach of the St Lucia men’s team, replacing ex-St Lucia footballer Francis McDonald, who was at the helm since October 2018.

According to the 55-year-old Shabazz, the appointment, which was confirmed on Saturday, was effective from May 1.

The St Lucia men’s team are currently 170th in the latest FIFA ranking, as of April 4.

This deal with the St Lucia Football Association comes less than two months after another two-year appointment, to the IFAB (International Football Association Board) Football Advisory Panel (FAP). That panel, along with the Technical Advisory Panel, advises IFP on potential changes to the laws of the game.

During the 2000s, numerous St Lucia players were household names in the TT Pro League, including Earl Jean, Elijah Joseph, Valencius Joseph, Sheldon Emmanuel and Titus Elva. Presently, the only notable St Lucian in the Pro League is experienced left-back Kurt Frederick of W Connection.Shabazz, during an interview yesterday, said, “I’m very impressed with the talent they have.

“I’ve been watching and following the team for the last year. I’ve seen them play three of the Nations League games so I’m very aware of the talent pool. I’m confident that together we can do something.”

Shabazz joins a group of TT coaches who are involved with national teams in the Caribbean. Other members of that bunch are ex-playmaker and men’s team captain Russell Latapy (Barbados), former women’s team striker Izler Browne (US Virgin Islands) and Rajesh Latchoo (Dominica). Asked how it feels to see TT coaches expanding their wings in the Caribbean, Shabazz replied, “I think it’s good. Europe has not placed any boundaries on people going across the European community to work. They are the colonial masters. We, as the sons and daughters of ex-slaves, must not put that kind of boundaries and borderline on our people throughout the region.”

Quoting a line from Black Stalin’s 1979 classic Caribbean Man, Shabazz continued, “I am a strong advocate for one Caribbean people ‘making the same trips on the same ship’. Working in St Lucia after working in Guyana and TT is an extension of me pushing that ideology.”

Shabazz’s last major portfolio was with the national women’s team, during their ill-fated campaign for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

He stepped down from that post last August, shortly before the Concacaf Women’s Championship in Jamaica.

About his new appointment, Shabazz said, “It’s another opportunity to get back on the pitch. I’ve been warming up by coaching in the TTFA (TT Football Association) Elite Women Youth Clinic. I’ve been volunteering there for the last three weeks in anticipation (of the St Lucia job).

“It’s a different challenge, a whole new different society from Trinidad and from Guyana,” he added. “The challenge is trying to understand the culture and be able to work with it while trying to get the results on the pitch.”

Shabazz has been involved as a coach and technical director with Morvant Caledonia United for over two decades.

He said, “I would be back and forth, just like when I was at Guyana, because St Lucia is 30 minutes away. Caledonia is in good hands with coach Jerry Moe, and I’ve not actually coached Caledonia for the last four years. I’m the owner so that would always be a part of me, and I would play a role behind the scenes.”

His immediate focus with the St Lucia team is “to prepare the national Under-23 team for the Olympic qualifiers, and then the senior team to the Nations League.” Asked if he will be involved with the St Lucia women’s and youth teams, Shabazz replied, “You go into the country to work and, wherever way I can help, I’ll lend my expertise.”

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:31:22 AM by Flex »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2019, 06:46:22 PM »
Shabazz signs as St Lucia coach.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Ja­mal Shabazz is the new St Lu­cia, foot­ball coach. He fol­lows in the foot­steps of his com­pa­tri­ot Rus­sell Lat­apy who gave up coach­ing in T&T to pick up a more lu­cra­tive of­fer in Bar­ba­dos re­cent­ly.

Shabazz was coach of the T&T's Women's teams, but he stepped down to re­turn to his club team Mor­vant Cale­do­nia Unit­ed in the T&T Pro League. Yes­ter­day how­ev­er word spread that Shabazz, a for­mer Guyana Na­tion­al team coach, had signed on the dot­ted line on a two-year deal.

Con­tact­ed Shabazz con­firmed the ap­point­ment, say­ing he is ex­cit­ed to take up the new chal­lenge, giv­en his coach­ing stints with Guyana and T&T.

"It's a new project with the St Lu­cia peo­ple and cer­tain­ly some­thing I look for­ward to," Shabazz said. He added, "As a de­vout Mus­lim this new op­por­tu­ni­ty is even more sig­nif­i­cant for me, as it comes dur­ing the holy month of Ra­madan." Shabazz is sched­uled to be­gin work on the na­tion­al team lat­er this week.

Ac­cord­ing to Shabazz, "Since Ca­lyp­son­ian Stal­in sang the song Caribbean Man, I have al­ways shared that view, and foot­ball is an op­por­tu­ni­ty for me to ex­press my­self in that way ide­o­log­i­cal­ly."

Since ac­cept­ing the coach­ing job, Shabazz has been warm­ing up with the coun­try's Elite Women's Pro­gramme. He said he has been out of touch with coach­ing so he de­cid­ed to get his feet wet once again be­fore go­ing to St Lu­cia.

He re­places Fran­cis “Panko” Mc Don­ald who man­aged the St Lu­cian team, dur­ing the Wind­ward Is­lands Se­nior Foot­ball Tour­na­ment and the ear­ly stages of the Na­tion’s League.

Pres­i­dent of the St Lu­cia Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion Lyn­don Coop­er made the an­nounce­ment of Shabazz's ap­point­ment and said the T&T coach will bring with him a wealth of tech­ni­cal ex­pe­ri­ence. Coop­er mean­while is set to be giv­en a new man­date by League af­fil­i­ates on the is­land and that he plans to take foot­ball to high­er heights.

RELATED NEWS

Shabazz welcomes new opportunity.

Ex-TT, Guyana coach signs two-year deal with St Lucia…

FORMER TT and Guyana coach Jamaal Shabazz has signed a two-year deal as the new coach of the St Lucia men’s team, replacing ex-St Lucia footballer Francis McDonald, who was at the helm since October 2018.

According to the 55-year-old Shabazz, the appointment, which was confirmed on Saturday, was effective from May 1.

The St Lucia men’s team are currently 170th in the latest FIFA ranking, as of April 4.

This deal with the St Lucia Football Association comes less than two months after another two-year appointment, to the IFAB (International Football Association Board) Football Advisory Panel (FAP). That panel, along with the Technical Advisory Panel, advises IFP on potential changes to the laws of the game.

During the 2000s, numerous St Lucia players were household names in the TT Pro League, including Earl Jean, Elijah Joseph, Valencius Joseph, Sheldon Emmanuel and Titus Elva. Presently, the only notable St Lucian in the Pro League is experienced left-back Kurt Frederick of W Connection.Shabazz, during an interview yesterday, said, “I’m very impressed with the talent they have.

“I’ve been watching and following the team for the last year. I’ve seen them play three of the Nations League games so I’m very aware of the talent pool. I’m confident that together we can do something.”

Shabazz joins a group of TT coaches who are involved with national teams in the Caribbean. Other members of that bunch are ex-playmaker and men’s team captain Russell Latapy (Barbados), former women’s team striker Izler Browne (US Virgin Islands) and Rajesh Latchoo (Dominica). Asked how it feels to see TT coaches expanding their wings in the Caribbean, Shabazz replied, “I think it’s good. Europe has not placed any boundaries on people going across the European community to work. They are the colonial masters. We, as the sons and daughters of ex-slaves, must not put that kind of boundaries and borderline on our people throughout the region.”

Quoting a line from Black Stalin’s 1979 classic Caribbean Man, Shabazz continued, “I am a strong advocate for one Caribbean people ‘making the same trips on the same ship’. Working in St Lucia after working in Guyana and TT is an extension of me pushing that ideology.”

Shabazz’s last major portfolio was with the national women’s team, during their ill-fated campaign for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

He stepped down from that post last August, shortly before the Concacaf Women’s Championship in Jamaica.

About his new appointment, Shabazz said, “It’s another opportunity to get back on the pitch. I’ve been warming up by coaching in the TTFA (TT Football Association) Elite Women Youth Clinic. I’ve been volunteering there for the last three weeks in anticipation (of the St Lucia job).

“It’s a different challenge, a whole new different society from Trinidad and from Guyana,” he added. “The challenge is trying to understand the culture and be able to work with it while trying to get the results on the pitch.”

Shabazz has been involved as a coach and technical director with Morvant Caledonia United for over two decades.

He said, “I would be back and forth, just like when I was at Guyana, because St Lucia is 30 minutes away. Caledonia is in good hands with coach Jerry Moe, and I’ve not actually coached Caledonia for the last four years. I’m the owner so that would always be a part of me, and I would play a role behind the scenes.”

His immediate focus with the St Lucia team is “to prepare the national Under-23 team for the Olympic qualifiers, and then the senior team to the Nations League.” Asked if he will be involved with the St Lucia women’s and youth teams, Shabazz replied, “You go into the country to work and, wherever way I can help, I’ll lend my expertise.”

"They are the colonial masters. We, as the sons and daughters of ex-slaves, must not put that kind of boundaries and borderline on our people throughout the region.”   ??? ???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2019, 10:32:43 PM »
“I think it’s good. Europe has not placed any boundaries on people going across the European community to work. They are the colonial masters.

Really? Brexit, Vox in Spain, Northern League in Italy, Le Penn in France.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2019, 05:50:17 AM »

While I agree with the notions of Caribbean solidarity and integration and the leveraging of history and shared values and culture, the tools used by Shabazz to frame and paint the picture are flawed and perhaps, exaggerated. (By the way, I would submit the use of "enslaved" rather than "ex-slaves" and I would be happy to engage with JS about that when we bounce up).

Ordinarily, the term favored is "enslaved Africans", but as Shabazz is discussing a pan-Caribbean theme and Rajesh Latchoo is a Shabazz protège and is not African, I sense JS could either be speaking broadly or narrowly. I'm not certain. That is to say that we in the Caribbean are more than enslaved Africans and our sum is greater than its parts.

Using Europe as a favorable referential point does not mesh with the negative reference of colonialism and colonial masters (I'm not imputing a personal subjective valuation here. Colonialism is broadly accepted as having been, put simplistically, a "bad thing").

That's like advocating for opposing views. Unconsciously that is endorsing the actions of the colonial masters as being with merit because the idea is a European idea (See below for where it isn't). Ultimately, we should not be mimic men and render value to concepts merely because they have occurred at the center of a center-periphery universe.

In any event, under freedom of movement policies that contemplate the ability to work across CARICOM, the opportunity to work in St. Lucia or Dominica is not revolutionary or novel or unprecedented. It is what is expected/anticipated today based on our 'post- Independence" appreciation of who we are and how we came to be in this mess together and how we should treat each other, at least on paper.

The employment of coaches at NT level implicitly has long featured transnational employment (it is, for instance, how recently we arrived at the genius of Tom Saintfiet and in the past Rene Simões). The "colonial master" tool would possess greater currency and accuracy if instead we were discussing the contracting of Aliou Cissé by a European NT in contrast to the frequent employment of the Hervé Renards and Claude Le Roys by African countries once in France's shadow and now in it's rear view mirror.

I came to understand Shabazz's role as demigod, prophet and Dean of anglophone Caribbean coaches when I was on a course and one of the coaches quoted him to reference something. We were in Europe at the time. JS is a craftsman of flowery imagery that is sure to seduce someone at sometime, but all the assertions do not necessarily hold water (see his treatise a few months ago when he started off with the disclaimer that he supported DJW's candidacy and went on to render a defense of the indefensible).

Within Europe at NT level there are not Germans running the French NT or Italians pushing the Spanish, but at club level the picture is different. NTs remain zealously guarded projects by the European core, but at the outposts you can get a Prosinecki running Azerbaijan without celebration. Note Azerbaijan is a UEFA nation but not a EU member.

The English gulped on Sven and Capello as acquired tastes, not as desired appetizers. In Mexico, Osorio didn't get a hero's welcome.

The reference point for true transnational presence at NT level is South America. Football played at a high level and movement everywhere across identity boundaries.

Also, it must be said that before we saw opportunity in the neighboring islands, previously we didn't see much benefit in going to those places. It's certain that the implementation of the Nations League adds value to venturing to Castries or Bridgetown.

Credit St. Kitts - Nevis for having ploughed ahead of the idea, when they brought in Jacques Passy from Mexico. An intermediate real test of Caribbean coaches is when they can penetrate the Central American market.

All that noted, I applaud the moves of Latapy and JS, although I suspect both moves come from internal displacement rather than from other forces.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:40:29 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2019, 05:28:52 PM »
In CONCACAF Nations League B action, St. Lucia faced El Salvador and Montserrat (both away). In the first encounter the Lucians lost by 3-0 (7', 73' and 87') and in the second game they drew 1-1, rescuing a point almost at the death courtesy a Kurt Frederick penalty (87'). Montserrat's goal was scored at 45'.

Frederick was one of 7 players in the starting XI versus El Salvador with a current or past history of playing in Trinidad and Tobago (Zaine Pierre, Otev Lawrence, Melvin Doxilly, Vino Barclett, Lester Joseph, Bradley Nestor and Malik St. Prix).

Against El Salvador the Lucians played a man-up for the final ~15 minutes following the expulsion of El Salvador's Portugal-based winger, Denis Pineda. El Salvador's second goal was notched from the penalty spot.

Of note, St. Lucia's national team has an average squad age that is ~4 years younger than that of the Trinidad and Tobago senior men's national team.

St. Lucia's next match is also on the road. They will take on Dominican Republic in October. After that they host three in a row.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rLvCi4JtwLY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rLvCi4JtwLY</a>

For context on Shabazz's preparations and tactical approach going into both games, you can review his comments to Anthony De Beauville of The Voice.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:47:15 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2019, 08:49:29 PM »

Man say all ah we tief ... man so brave dey just coming out and say it yes  :D

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 23, 2019, 01:22:43 PM »
Fazeer, that was a much improved interview from the DJW sequel. Of course it was helped by the less cagey  (although not entirely not cagey) Jamaal Shabazz.

I suppose we could say that it leaves the Ummah with food for thought.

:thinking:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:24:23 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #251 on: October 24, 2019, 12:52:33 AM »

Man say all ah we tief ... man so brave dey just coming out and say it yes  :D

Hence why football and the nation is the way it is...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #252 on: October 26, 2019, 01:52:54 AM »
“A very dangerous election!” Shabazz on TTFA elections, DJW, OJT coaches and the problem with ‘transparency’
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Morvant Caledonia AIA technical director Jamaal Shabazz, a self-proclaimed friend and supporter of Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams, has warned that next month’s football elections will be a ‘dangerous’ one which might require intervention from Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith.

Shabazz, who reminded viewers that he was a former insurrectionist, made the bizarre claim to TV6 Morning Edition host Fazeer Mohammed on Friday 18 October, as they discussed John-Williams’ quest to retain his post.

Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) president William Wallace and Terminix La Horquetta Rangers director Richard Ferguson are both nominated to challenge John-Williams at the TTFA election on 24 November.

Mohammed: “Do you think things will get better or worse after the election? Or does that depend on the result?”

Shabazz: “I think first it will get worse before the election. This will be a volatile election. I won’t even venture to use what I feel but this could be a very dangerous elections.”

Mohammed: “Why dangerous?”

Shabazz: “From where I sit, large sums of money [are] being put into winning votes. I have evidence. If it was coming from one section of the electorate, it would have already been public news. And I am saying that it will get worse before it gets better.

“[…] At some point [Commissioner of Police] Gary Griffith will have to step in to this matter. What is happening in the football is worst than what is happening in Beetham and John John. I can tell you that.”

Shabazz declined further comment on the matter.

On Friday morning, Shabazz, the current St Lucia Men’s National Senior Team head coach and ex-Trinidad and Tobago Men’s and Women’s National coach, attempted to clarify his view on John-Williams’ leadership style as well as his appreciation for football ‘strongmen’.

“What I see in the [TTFA] Board when David John-Williams came into power, he came in with a high level of enthusiasm,” Shabazz told the Morning Edition, “and at several instances, he bypassed the collective opinion. Because he’s seeing it—he wants to go this way…”

Mohammed suggested Shabazz was admitting that John-Williams was a dictator.

“If you bypass collective opinion, which means you bypass the majority,” asked Mohammed, “isn’t that autocratic?”

Shabazz: “You have to be autocratic at times to be a leader…”

The Caledonia AIA co-founder tried to justify his defence of John-Williams’ leadership style with an anecdote.

Shabazz: “A Thursday I [got] a whats app from John-Williams and a letter from somebody in the ministry giving the TTFA the land and the okay to go ahead and build [the Home of Football]. Sunday morning I get a call from John-Williams saying, ‘What are you doing? come down Ato Boldon [Stadium] nah?’ John-Williams is on site, clearing the land.

“They got permission the Thursday to clear and [two days later] he is on site on a tractor. That is enthusiasm; that is commitment. Look where that project reach today. Because he is a builder!”

And where has the TTFA Home of Football project reached? It remains unfinished and shrouded in controversy with general secretary Camara David begging private sponsors to help pay for its completion while the High Court blasted John-Williams’ attempt to run the project as though it was his fiefdom.

Mohammed: “Don’t you recognise, Jamaal Shabazz, that a president […] must respect process. You can’t just pick up yourself and bypass the will of the majority and do as you like, even if you think you’re right.”

Shabazz appeared to backpedal somewhat when he hinted that John-Williams was a well-intentioned dictator. (“I would never stand for blatant dictatorship.”) He then said ‘99.9 percent’ of the TTFA president’s decisions actually were sanctioned by the Board. But, paradoxically, John-Williams was only fulfilling the will of the people when he ignored their wishes.

“In this society, we look for a saviour and if they don’t solve [the problems] we crucify them,” said Shabazz. “[We] always want one man to solve the problem. If we approach our problems like that we won’t get anything done. It has to have a leader, it has to have consultation, it has to have a debate and then a decision.”

Mohammed: “Has [John-Williams] consulted with the people?”

Shabazz: “I think he can do better at that.”

Mohammed: “In other words, no.”

Shabazz: “I won’t say that either…”

Shabazz admitted he was unimpressed and unconvinced by calls for ‘transparent leadership’ from the TTFA president.

Shabazz: “You see that transparency thing; that is a cliché men does use. ‘Transparency’, ‘accountability’ because them is nice words corporate Trinidad and Tobago like to hear and so-called ‘well to do [people]’ like to hear. The reality of it is when you’re leading an organisation there comes a time when you have to take some firm decisions—but I am one to say consult with people.”

So is Shabazz suggesting that leaders should talk to stakeholders but are not obliged to listen to them or use their counsel?

The veteran coach spoke disparagingly of critics of John-Williams’ tenure, who he described as ‘dissidents’ that were supposedly quiet during the reign of disgraced FIFA vice-president Jack Warner but since found their voice.

The problem Shabazz had with that line is, as he admitted, he also quietly reaped the benefit of Warner’s dictatorship at the time. And, even as he tried to favourably compare John-Williams’ Home of Football with Warner’s Centre of Excellence caper—in which the latter administrator hoodwinked local football to make off with a multi-million facility built and maintained with FIFA and TTFA money—he was careful not to directly criticise his former boss.

Shabazz: “[The Centre of Excellence] is owned by one family; and that’s fine. But we thought it was owned by football…”

Mohammed: “Why is that fine?”

Shabazz: “If a man used his then intellectual capacity and he used the then FIFA at the time—fine. That is his wisdom, his shrewdness…”

When asked to give his personal view of Warner, Shabazz again tried to have it both ways.

Shabazz: “[Warner] left a feeling of distrust for Trinidadians and Caribbean people. According to how you look at him, he could have been a freedom fighter or a dictator… I think he could have been a little bit of both.”

Warner’s time at the helm of the local game remains divisive. Trinidad and Tobago qualified for the Germany 2006 World Cup as well as the Portugal 1991, Korea Republic 2007 and Egypt 2009 Youth World Cups.

Yet, millions were siphoned out of the local game to the benefit of Warner’s family while players and critics were ‘blacklisted’ and thousands more are still owed for their services.

John-Williams’ own time in office has delivered debt and controversy without even a glimmer of the success on the field.

Shabazz: “The [current] results I can’t defend, except for the fact that if you’re stifled with debt it will affect your current ability to issue finance…”

He did not suggest how John-Williams might improve the financial health of the game outside of the unfinished Home of Football, which, in his opinion, might take another four years at least to offer any return on investment.

Shabazz said he saw nothing wrong with coaches using national positions for on the job training.

“I have worked for free in women’s football for the first 10 years from 94,” he said. “If a coach decides that he or she wants to build their experience at working at the national level for free, I am fine with that…”

As for John-Williams, Shabazz suggested that the current TTFA boss’ main problem is his inability to convey his brilliance to stakeholders .

“What I would [blame] David John-Williams with is poor media skills in terms of presenting what really happened,” said Shabazz, “and for me I can say that without fear of contradiction.”

On 24 November, 47 local football delegates will decide if John-Williams’ problems run deeper than that. That is, of course, if the electoral process is not hampered by Shabazz’s predicted bloodletting.

Griffith has been warned.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:57:18 AM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 26, 2019, 04:01:12 AM »
Talking on both sides of he mouth!

Griffith has been warned.

Here he goes again with his extremist proclamations. Is the 1990?   Oh, the Privy Council!!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:02:48 AM by Deeks »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2019, 10:59:08 PM »
WATCH: St. Lucia secures its first victory in CONCACAF Nations League history with a 1-0 defeat of the Dominican Republic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cMeLNMYEt4E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cMeLNMYEt4E</a>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:04:26 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 19, 2019, 11:03:57 PM »
WATCH: Post-match comments by St. Lucia head coach, Jamaal Shabazz following the 1-0 victory versus Dominican Republic.

Per FIFA's October 2019 ranking, St. Lucia is ranked #177 and the Dominican Republic #153.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/oILeWgBG04k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/oILeWgBG04k</a>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:10:04 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 20, 2019, 04:05:16 AM »
WATCH: Post-match comments by St. Lucia head coach, Jamaal Shabazz following the 1-0 victory versus Dominican Republic.

Per FIFA's October 2019 ranking, St. Lucia is ranked #177 and the Dominican Republic #153.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/oILeWgBG04k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/oILeWgBG04k</a>
even though i can’t stand this bloke and he has said and done a lot of things that justify and warrant me not liking the best bone in his body, he IMO might be the best local coach we have at the moment and i would go out on a limb to exclaim that he probably would have done a much better job than dennis lawrence. boy dennis sure did have us fooled with his claim to fame everton and martinez connection, he’s just the absolute worst.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 20, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »

even though i can’t stand this bloke and he has said and done a lot of things that justify and warrant me not liking the best bone in his body, he IMO might be the best local coach we have at the moment and i would go out on a limb to exclaim that he probably would have done a much better job than dennis lawrence. boy dennis sure did have us fooled with his claim to fame everton and martinez connection, he’s just the absolute worst.
another flat track bully see women's record beyond CFU with him
I pity the fool....

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaal Shabazz is new T&T football joint head coach
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2019, 01:56:28 AM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

allyuh bawling, yuh ent see nothing yet...

Long time mansuggesting this man to be involved with the national team

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2019, 02:14:08 AM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

allyuh bawling, yuh ent see nothing yet...

Ent

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 10, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »
Dear TTFF,

If yu had these options available to you to begin the rebuild for 2018, would you consider a staff would the following:

Assessing/monitoring local players: Terry Fenwick
Technical Director: Stephen Hart
Assessing/monitoring European based players: Dennis Lawerence
Co-coaches: H.Charles, S.Hart

All things considered.....TTFF if yu could make this happen fo rthe good of TnT would you do it?

Well given even Shans had ah run of it guess Terry F could look like a diamond in the rough 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 24, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »
What's going on with St. Lucia and WC qualifying?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 24, 2021, 12:54:25 PM »

Latest is that they've withdrawn. Nothing official but FIFA have confirmed it indirectly in pulling their matches. Rumour is that the FA isn't talking to CONCACAF/FIFA? No idea.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »

Latest is that they've withdrawn. Nothing official but FIFA have confirmed it indirectly in pulling their matches. Rumour is that the FA isn't talking to CONCACAF/FIFA? No idea.

Did they get fined for withdrawing?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 24, 2021, 02:25:16 PM »

St Lucia footballers demonstrate before SLFA office against withdrawal from World Cup qualifiers
By Leighton Levy (sportsmax.tv)

National footballer players in St Lucia demonstrated in front of the St Lucia Football Association (SLFA) headquarters in Castries today against the country’s withdrawal from the FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

They also protested the absence of communication between the players and the association and the disrespect shown to the country’s local-based players, who they feel were not even being considered for the qualifiers.

St Lucia was to have played Nicaragua in Nicaragua today in Group E of the qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. Pushed to the point of frustration, the players marched to the SLFA office in Castries calling for the resignation of SLFA President Lyndon Cooper.

Bearing placards saying ‘Lyndon Cooper must go’, the players are of the view that the SLFA president told FIFA that the pandemic was the primary reason behind the decision to withdraw from the World Cup qualifiers. However, they believe otherwise.

Zaine Pierre, who has been representing his country for about 12 years now, and who believes Cooper has done nothing to improve local football in Lucia since he became president, told media outlets covering that protest that there were indications from last year that they would not be playing.

“These guys had no intention to take part in the World Cup. I remember clearly about a year ago this president was like, ‘the chances of us qualifying is slim and it makes no sense,' so right now Covid is just an excuse for them to pull out,” said Pierre, who said in recent times the national team won two games, drew one and lost another yet the president said that that was not good enough.

Pierre also indicated that the SLFA does not respect local players preferring instead to use those playing in the lower leagues in the United Kingdom for any campaign. It is believed that travel restrictions would have prevented those players from travelling to St Lucia to prepare for the World Cup qualifiers.

Pierre told Sportsmax.TV that the federation did not contact any local clubs seeking the release of their players for training camps despite the fact that some of them had as much as 15 years experience representing the country.

The midfielder, who was also quoted in a story published yesterday on Sportsmax.TV, saying they had heard nothing official from the SLFA regarding the qualifiers, showed Sportsmax.TV a message he said the president sent him afterwards via Whatsapp saying, “Who told u that u was part of St Lucia team and any team was call by the SLFA to be release by their club for national training…”

What is particularly frustrating for Pierre and other locally-based players, is that the SLFA’s decision to withdraw from the qualifiers robs them of the opportunity to play in a World Cup competition when they are in their prime.

“We just need an explanation as to why,” he said.

Police eventually broke up the protests in the early afternoon.

Efforts to contact St Lucia’s Minister of Sport Edmund Estaphane were unsuccessful. Sources indicate that he was off the island on Wednesday.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2021, 02:57:39 PM »
If that article was a crossword puzzle, it would be something like 'rhymes with jazz, name a 7 letter word that's glaringly missing from my content'.

7 across.   _ _ _ B _ _ _

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:00:45 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2021, 03:07:41 PM »

St Lucia footballers demonstrate before SLFA office against withdrawal from World Cup qualifiers
By Leighton Levy (sportsmax.tv)

National footballer players in St Lucia demonstrated in front of the St Lucia Football Association (SLFA) headquarters in Castries today against the country’s withdrawal from the FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

They also protested the absence of communication between the players and the association and the disrespect shown to the country’s local-based players, who they feel were not even being considered for the qualifiers.

St Lucia was to have played Nicaragua in Nicaragua today in Group E of the qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. Pushed to the point of frustration, the players marched to the SLFA office in Castries calling for the resignation of SLFA President Lyndon Cooper.

Bearing placards saying ‘Lyndon Cooper must go’, the players are of the view that the SLFA president told FIFA that the pandemic was the primary reason behind the decision to withdraw from the World Cup qualifiers. However, they believe otherwise.

Zaine Pierre, who has been representing his country for about 12 years now, and who believes Cooper has done nothing to improve local football in Lucia since he became president, told media outlets covering that protest that there were indications from last year that they would not be playing.

“These guys had no intention to take part in the World Cup. I remember clearly about a year ago this president was like, ‘the chances of us qualifying is slim and it makes no sense,' so right now Covid is just an excuse for them to pull out,” said Pierre, who said in recent times the national team won two games, drew one and lost another yet the president said that that was not good enough.

Pierre also indicated that the SLFA does not respect local players preferring instead to use those playing in the lower leagues in the United Kingdom for any campaign. It is believed that travel restrictions would have prevented those players from travelling to St Lucia to prepare for the World Cup qualifiers.

Pierre told Sportsmax.TV that the federation did not contact any local clubs seeking the release of their players for training camps despite the fact that some of them had as much as 15 years experience representing the country.

The midfielder, who was also quoted in a story published yesterday on Sportsmax.TV, saying they had heard nothing official from the SLFA regarding the qualifiers, showed Sportsmax.TV a message he said the president sent him afterwards via Whatsapp saying, “Who told u that u was part of St Lucia team and any team was call by the SLFA to be release by their club for national training…”

What is particularly frustrating for Pierre and other locally-based players, is that the SLFA’s decision to withdraw from the qualifiers robs them of the opportunity to play in a World Cup competition when they are in their prime.

“We just need an explanation as to why,” he said.

Police eventually broke up the protests in the early afternoon.

Efforts to contact St Lucia’s Minister of Sport Edmund Estaphane were unsuccessful. Sources indicate that he was off the island on Wednesday.

1990 insurrectionist move - storm government house  and take over - part of a DNA for some people

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 25, 2021, 06:34:30 AM »
In their case I fully understand, it's embarrassing and a dereliction of their duty to pull out this late.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 25, 2021, 08:05:33 AM »
If that article was a crossword puzzle, it would be something like 'rhymes with jazz, name a 7 letter word that's glaringly missing from my content'.

yup. Not the president who run training sessions nor picking team. Have to look up them last games and team sheets. Plus Covid probably did locked the coach down too.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 25, 2021, 10:47:14 AM »
Withdrawing last minute is much worse than playing both games away. But to withdraw without letting them know is excruciating to the players. Disrespect of the highest order.

1]; } ?>