March 28, 2024, 06:13:34 AM

Author Topic: Who are the top Local Coaches in T&T?  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Who are the top Local Coaches in T&T?
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:17:34 AM »
I'm interested in the present Coaches,a little bit of their history/record,who they coaching at present.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the top Local Coaches in T&T?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 08:22:07 AM »
Why Coops?
It seems that there is very little respect(even on this mecca of T&T support) for the knowledge of the present local coaches, except maybe Terry Fenwick , who is of course a foreign coach in the local scene.
If the case is that you would like to help them advance their knowledge, nb, over the years I have been given the impression by many on this board that those local coaches are incapable of improving and advancing any aspect of their game. Although most of them have followed programs to attain where they are at.

I myself feel that the next step for our local coaches/players  is the National Program, but as is obvious throughout the rest of the society, their seem to exist a lack of confidence, at this level, to the tune whereby, those selfsame coaches demonstrate (in my personal interviews) lack of confidence with themselves. ( I can give some examples/instances: but I rather not publicly, hopefully, we can talk in Conn.)

I have been encouraging  Rugged to pursue the certification programs,as he has been considering retirement back home. I think he may have contacted Mr. Phillips. However, i haven't been out awhile to hear the outcome.. I guess, I should call (hate long phone conv.)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 09:42:19 AM »
The reason why i'm asking these questions is because this forum is flooded with information about everybody elses country,we seem to know all about them,the thing is what about us no one seems to know,there are no answeres to any of these questions,everybody complains players have no skills, that was unheard off in T&T,but who coaching players in T&T,if we don't hire a foreign coach are there coaches capable of handleing a national team at any level.The future of T&T Football lies with our youths,what going to happen after Germany.     

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 10:01:14 AM »
Fevrier(Originally from St. Lucia), Shabazz, Fenwick (Englishman)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 10:18:00 AM »
Brian Williams was the most successful youth coach in TT during the late 90 and early tens but didn't get a chance to do anything at the national level. Only when Fervier Coached did BW get an Assistant's job. Let's see what he does with Petro.

Fervier,
BW,
Leroy Spann,
Jan Steadman is very respected by those I've spoken to.
Gally has to be considered

However, top Coaching minds may not always be getting the opportunnities to show it.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 10:38:25 AM »

We need to make an assesment of where they are certification wise.
That is only part of the story of being a good coach but one that we can't overlook in this modern day.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 10:45:52 AM »
..........,but who coaching players in T&T,if we don't hire a foreign coach are there coaches capable of handleing a national team at any level.The future of T&T Football lies with our youths,what going to happen after Germany.     

Coops, doh tell me yuh lookin down the road....doh tell meh yuh tryin to think bout after tomorrow ;D

Yuh livin out dey to long boy ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 11:04:52 AM »
Brian Williams was the most successful youth coach in TT during the late 90 and early tens but didn't get a chance to do anything at the national level. Only when Fervier Coached did BW get an Assistant's job. Let's see what he does with Petro.

Brian has an English FA Coaching Badge.

This is a list of his coaching assignments:
  • Head Coach of United Petrotrin (2005/2006)
  • Assistant Coach of the Trinidad & Tobago senior team (2003)
  • Head Coach of the South West Institute of Football (2003/2004)
  • Head Coach of W-Connection FC U-20 Team (2000)
  • Assistant Coach of the Trinidad & Tobago U-20 Team (1994)
  • Head Coach of Palo Seco Sporting Club Football Teams
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 12:08:30 PM »

Coops, doh tell me yuh lookin down the road....doh tell meh yuh tryin to think bout after tomorrow ;D

Yuh livin out dey to long boy ;D
Maxg some times i feel like we just fooling ourselves, every tournament,WC etc we continue to repeat the same mistakes,we have the same plan,may be different Coach and a couple different players,and that's why the results are the same,if we win one game we feel like we improve but check the game after that.Why do you think ppl send kids to school because they are thinking about tomarrow,if you don't think about tomorrow you can't have continuation and that is T&T's problem,erery WC we does have the same problem.
   If you check most teams that have had foreign coaches end up having local ones after some time ,because they worked on their Coaches. 

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 12:34:11 PM »
The reason why i'm asking these questions is because this forum is flooded with information about everybody elses country,we seem to know all about them,the thing is what about us no one seems to know,there are no answeres to any of these questions,everybody complains players have no skills, that was unheard off in T&T,but who coaching players in T&T,if we don't hire a foreign coach are there coaches capable of handleing a national team at any level.The future of T&T Football lies with our youths,what going to happen after Germany.

Coop's you question is not clear.  Are you asking from a development perspective, if you are, then the best development coach we ahve in T&T is Anton Corneal.  Now if you are talking about taking teams to world cup etc. we do not have a coach that has the experience that we can depend on.  This is evident when we look at how Don Leo is able to transform th current group when compared to where they were three months ago.  I agree that we should have been producing our own coaches by now, but just like players we are not developing coaches.  And none of the past players coaching today have no experience at the WC level - it requires a diffrenet experience to compete at that level.  Just look at Ngeria u-20 history and tell me that their current coach experience has nothing to do with their current success.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 12:50:34 PM »
I hear yuh Coops. Ideally we should have a bunch of foeriegners coaching the kids (You, SH, Rugged. etc..) and a Locals to do the senior team...
Sorry, that is ideal for me...I know given the state of the nation, and state of the individuals...that is not as easy as I make it sound..and in fact would require a lot of attitude development as well as social maturity...yet I am sure other baby steps to this ideal can be taken immediately....Have guys like yourself initially conduct courses seminars..community coaches programs  etc..we don't need a Kevin Kegan (or BeenHakker) to teach the basics..the basics is not how to salad ah man etc..etc..paying your flight and a small stipend etc...I dunno, I didn't yet draft up the specifics..
but already ah could hear the "he feel he is it our what", that is the attitude that must first change....and it has to be done first by you who were once it...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 12:54:44 PM by maxg »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »
Guys i'm not initiating these issues to highlight myself(i'm alright),my hope is that the relavant authorities will take note of some ideas to help improve our game.This is my way of giving back what was given to me and if i can share some my experiences with you all,that's my contribution. 

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 02:45:25 PM »
Sorry Coops but a little more is required from you. Ideas and sharing your experience with we just wouldn't cut it. Is them kids who miss out on allyuh need yuh. Not we...Is dem kids who didn't hear the stories from your mouth, about your idols, is dem who need yuh to give back..
I know, yuh not trying to big up yuhself, and yuh allright....Well check meh....It is really not about you...Yuh have plenty more to give, and because of your history, people may listen, or they may not, but you would have known that you have truly given...Yuh wasting time with most of we, and your time is way more valuable in that scheme of things than mine....i.e. who is maxg? As opposed to who is Coop's? Yuh mad, like yuh doh know football? Look him coming now.

Offline raj

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 04:25:45 PM »
I'm interested in the present Coaches,a little bit of their history/record,who they coaching at present.

You have to mention Jean "Jah" Lillywhite of Newtown Sports Club in POS. This coach in the 80's coached many top talent including Colin Rocke, Latapy, Shaka Hislop, Kona Hislop, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Marcelle,

Most north zone players from QRC,CIC, Fatima and St Anthonys were coached by Lillywhite.

He was one of the best Trini coaches I ever seen in action and  played under. He was better that Corneal, Roderick Warner and many more. A real disciplinarian. He could also get football scholarships for good students.

He never wanted to be in the national setup...

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 05:20:17 PM »
Raj, good point.  The problem with the forum is that most of the seems have info only on the most recent history.  Mervyn Joseph is another good coach in Trinidad that is not part of the national setup and is quite capable.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2005, 05:33:58 PM »
What is he doing now? Isn't this more recycling?
Live large and prosper!

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2005, 05:54:17 PM »
He is running his coaching school in the east.  Because of how the country has neglected the development aspect of the game, I would think that most of our coaches would need to work under someone like Don Leo for a period of time.  I know that we are a prideful people, but never helps it always hurt.

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2005, 06:02:11 PM »
Hayden Martin, another good local coach.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2005, 06:13:51 PM »
Guys i appreciate your response on this topic,is just that i like hearing how other ppl feel on certain issues.I personally know all those Coaches mention and i have a lot of respect for them,having said that the problem our Coaches have is they can't come together,Coaches compete with each other too much,you know how long we was trying to have a Coaches Association in T&T but it could never get started.No one Coach or Director of Coaching can improve Football in the country,this is a national issue(island wide).Coaches in T&T not taking the job seriously because financially it's not worth it,for most coaching is a part time job,they don't get the respect and appreciation they deserve.Coaching is a tough job (thankless).
    Thanks Maxg appreciated.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 02:23:22 PM »
CHECK THIS....who was the last local coach to win the tnt pro leauge ????....ah know fenwick have one...ricky hill have one...stuart charles have a couple...mc lean win last year with north east...and he from guyana....carrington start well this year...but ah feel charles still involved...not to take nothing from carrington....all the decent young local coaches...dealing with junior programmes....but here are some names....la foucade....gwenwyn cust.....gordon husbands....leonson lewis ( know the name).....peter pierre ....

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 03:00:20 PM »
no local coach has ever won the pro league title in the history of the pro league mate.

thats a fact.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 03:07:38 PM »
no local coach has ever won the pro league title in the history of the pro league mate.

thats a fact.

another fact,
no trini has ever used the word 'mate' when refering to another trini.  besides yorke and birchall.
cheers!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 06:46:57 AM »
ah forget to mention joe public coach mike mc comie....not only because he won the super leauge....but i did a coaching course with him last year and he was outstanding....big magician

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »
Tallman is it possible for you to put together a list of foreign Coaches that have worked in T&T be it National or club over the years from as far back as Verity,Wooter etc
 What effect do you all think Coaches with different styles have had on T&T Football?are we better off today or not?who do you think do better with our players?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 09:14:19 AM »
Tallman is it possible for you to put together a list of foreign Coaches that have worked in T&T be it National or club over the years from as far back as Verity,Wooter etc

CoachCountry
Amerigo BrunnerHungary
Leo BeenhakkerHolland
Clovis D'OlivieraBrazil
Sebastian de AraujoBrazil
Terry FenwickEngland
Stuart FevrierSt. Lucia
Jochem FiggeGermany
Ricky HillEngland
Michael LaingEngland
James McLeanGuyana
Ian PorterfieldScotland
René SimoesBrazil
Kevin VerityEngland
Zoran VranesYugoslavia
August WooterSuriname
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 09:37:32 AM »
Tallman yuh real quick boy. lol

For me foreigners are necessary in todays world whether football or anything else.
The question is the quality of foreigner teaching/coaching.

America is where it is economically because of foreigners. You take the best a country has to offer and get them to teach you or learn from them...in the end you will be better off.

Even the MLS has the foresight to have foreigners...not just for economic reasons but for learning. Djorkaeff could still improve the players around him.
But you have to be willing to learn from them.
Imagine we have Beenie man in our country coaching and instead of our local coaches learning from him....fellas like Corneal wastin time criticizing his tactics. That is a problem we as Trinis have....we love to criticize and critique.

Coaches should be flooding to the Stadium when Beenie conducting sessions to see if they learn something even if it's one thing.
Having quality foreigners could only help. Even Canada making use of SH.

Ideally if we could get quality coaches like Beenie at least  U16 - U23 level we would have a system of play that would allow for players to play overseas and come in 5 days before and know the system because they use to it. Instead we always scrambling.

We need get the best and learn from them.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 10:05:28 AM »
Tallman that's real good your response is appreciated,i had forgotten some of those guys.I want some of the guys to bear with me reguarding my posts i'm just trying to educate myself and everyone else because i'm learning also.No man is bigger than the game.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 02:32:23 PM »
Tallman, James McLean from Guyana, he is currently the North East Stars coach.

Stuart Fevrier - real years of sucess in T&T.
Jamaal Shabazz - took a no money team and have them playing class ball.
Terry Fenwick - came back from England and made an instant imporvment.
Jan Steadman - most successful school coach.
Leroy Spann, Jaba (Superstar Rangers) and Brian Williams for helpin the youths in T&T. Even though ah feel Brian cant move up de level from youths, maybe experience is needed, he and Muhammed Isa.
Clayton Morris - Good with players.
Mucurapo Coaches, Selris Figaro and  Ian Clauzel for doing a good job last season.
James McLean - took North East Stars from zero to hero in a space of one year and they have no money and players like Jabloteh and W Connection.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 02:33:21 PM by Flex »

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 04:22:19 PM »
north east have good players boy both local and foreign that beat both jabloteh and connection regularly. i was reading that the north east stars coach has about 5 guyanese players on the team and they are all very good players and play very well together including the one that topped the league in scoring a season or two ago.what happened to him? i'm also sure that i read on this forum that another one scored the free kick against the national team in the recent match maybe tallman can correct me.plus they have nixon.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 04:51:17 PM »
i think brunner was from uraguay.....and dont forget the dutchman jan zwartikius.( or something like that ....lol)....in the 70s....with tnt and ASL....thats the man stuart charles keeps talking about....his philosphy and all that...he says comes from the dutchman....big magician

1]; } ?>