April 23, 2024, 06:01:03 PM

Author Topic: dey go do ANYTING to mek ah dollar  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
dey go do ANYTING to mek ah dollar
« on: September 22, 2006, 07:20:40 AM »

Anti-drug campaigners today attacked the makers of a soft drink who have called their product cocaine.

The high-energy drink is being billed as a "legal alternative" to the class A drug, using a massive hit of caffeine instead of cocaine.

Its maker claims the title is "a bit of fun" but critics slammed the technique as a cynical ploy which could tempt young people into using drugs.

The drink's inventor, Jamie Kirby, said: "It's an energy drink, and it's a fun name. As soon as people look at the can, they smile."

He claims Cocaine is "350 percent stronger than Red Bull" but that people do not experience the "sugar crash" or jitters that he says some of the other energy drinks can produce.

But David Raynes, of the UK National Drug Prevention Alliance, said: "It is people exploiting drugs. It is a pretty cynical tactic exploiting illegal drugs for their own benefit."

Las Vegas-based drinks company Redux Beverages is producing the drink which contains 280 milligrams of caffeine. According to the company's website, the only way to get more caffeine per ounce is with an espresso.

Mr Raynes added: "The fact is that subliminally, it is making the image of drug use cool and that's what kids what to be, cool.

"Kids will be drinking Cocaine and will inevitably link the two. The drink is relatively innocuous, but they will be linking it with cocaine use and the market, which is far from innocuous."

Dr Charles O'Brien, a professor and vice chairman of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, said: "It's just a bad idea and has all the same downsides of too much caffeine plus a very bad name."

The company has received inquiries about selling Cocaine in Britain and throughout Europe. At the moment it is being sold only in the Los Angeles and New York metropolitan areas - mainly to teenagers.
 :-\

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: dey go do ANYTING to mek ah dollar
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 07:55:39 AM »
Colombia's Indians bank on coca drink becoming the real thing
Sibylla Brodzinsky in Bogotá

December 14, 2005

Forget Coca-Cola, a group of Colombian Indians is telling its community, and drink coca instead.

The Paez Indians in south-western Colombia will launch Coca Sek this week, a fizzy drink based on coca leaves consumed for centuries by native Colombian peoples. The Paez, who live in the Calderas reserve, began their efforts to sanitise the use of the coca leaf, the main ingredient in cocaine, by selling crushed dried coca leaves for use as tea.

"People associate coca with cocaine. We wanted to convince people that coca is not the same as the drug and allow indigenous people to be proud of the leaf," said David Curtido, who leads the tea and soft drink projects.

The Paez grow coca legally for traditional uses and Mr Curtido said that with the soft drink and the tea they were seeking to make coca consumption an everyday thing.

"When we made the first taste tests [of the soft drink] among the community we didn't tell people what was in the bottle. People tasted it and they were fascinated. They immediately recognised it as coca and appreciated that we are giving added value to their much-reviled plant," Mr Curtido said.

The drink is the colour of cider, has a tea-like aroma and is described as tasting like a cross between lemonade and ginger ale. Mr Curtido said it already has been sampled by many Colombians and has won wide approval.

He said Coca Sek offered a homegrown answer to Coca-Cola. Kirsten Watt, a Coca-Cola spokeswoman in Atlanta, said such competitors were welcome. "They're entitled to create beverages as they see fit," she told the Associated Press news agency.

As for its own ingredients, Coca-Cola was tight-lipped. "Cocaine has never been an ingredient," Ms Watt said, though she declined to say whether cocaine-free coca extract is part of the drink's secret recipe, as has been widely reported.

"We just can't talk about the ingredients, the specific flavour composition," she said.

Coca Sek will be bottled in the city of Popayán near the Paez reserve and distribution will be limited, initially, to the surrounding area.

Mr Curtido said that, eventually, he wanted to see the drink distributed in Colombia's bigger cities.

But getting Coca Sek on to the international market will be difficult. Coca is on the UN list of dangerous substances and international trade in the leaf and its products is strictly limited.

Illegal coca plantations in Colombia have been the target of a multi-million dollar aerial fumigation programme bankrolled by the US. Colombia is the world's biggest exporter of cocaine.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 08:41:15 AM »
wow,,dat even worse

I give up oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 08:50:53 AM »
i am making my students do a presentation on this topic this semester.  they say the indians of bolivia chew the coca leaf to ward off hunger, thirst etc.   i wonder if it's an acquired taste :P

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 10:50:42 AM »
i am making my students do a presentation on this topic this semester.  they say the indians of bolivia chew the coca leaf to ward off hunger, thirst etc.   i wonder if it's an acquired taste :P

good friggin ting u is nut my teacher nah

i doh take kindly to hard wuk
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:33:34 AM »
Too bad them Indians will lose out because of the abuse of the plant.

I think is a good move to reclaim their ting and have a more positive use/association for the plant than we have come to know.

I doh think the retail stores and groceries will carry dat cocaine drinkso it will remain "exotic" and maybe more expensive.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 11:34:49 AM »
i read an article in maxim on de coca sek...said it tasted good and gave yuh quite a kick...hadda look for dat issue again and read it properly yes
Back in Trini...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 12:50:15 PM »
i read an article in maxim on de coca sek...said it tasted good and gave yuh quite a kick...hadda look for dat issue again and read it properly yes

It have articles in Maxim?? when dey start doin dat??

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 12:57:05 PM »

my uncle and aunt went on a trip to peru recently. he was telling me that the local indians were chewing on the leaves to cope with the higher elevation - they went up to lake titicaca - very high up. all the tourists they went with that used the store-bought medications got sick. he went with the chewing of the leaves and no problems. bolivia, i think, has similar geography. another possible use of the leaves ... :beermug:

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 10:48:28 PM »
well then yuh could chew one when yuh have gripe an thing..

this is a medical breakthrough !!!

what colour it does turn yuh teeth..green ?
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 06:19:53 AM »

It have articles in Maxim?? when dey start doin dat??

right after i write a letter to de editor complaining bout the lack of articles and threaten to cancel meh subscription
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 07:20:25 AM »
....lol i remeber meh padnas back ind e day drinking ganja wine. lol 
is dat any better??
i wonder what is de actual legal wordking on ganja.. is consuming ganja wine illegal? like smoking it?
 any marijuana afficianado or police..heheh tell me?
 i wont ask which one u r  ::)
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

1]; } ?>