April 27, 2024, 06:01:56 AM

Author Topic: Yorke faces club versus country dilemma.  (Read 14420 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke faces club versus country dilemma.
« on: September 26, 2006, 06:07:52 AM »
Yorke faces club versus country dilemma.
By: Nick Alexander (Sunderland FC).

Roy Keane will ask Dwight Yorke to miss two Trinidad and Tobago internationals early next month.
The Sunderland striker has been called into the latest Soca Warriors squad, for friendlies against Nicaragua and Panama in Trinidad.
But Black Cats boss Keane wants his former Manchester United team-mate to concentrate on life at Sunderland.
If Yorke goes, he faces two long flights and will be away from Wearside for nearly a fortnight, just at a time when he is starting to find his feet at Sunderland.
Keane said: "I've had a chat with Dwight and I'm due to speak with him again. I'll never begrudge a player the chance to play for his country, but it's getting the balance right.
"He's come to a new club here, he's looking to settle in and he's still looking for that bit of match sharpness.
"Dwight has said that it's a transitional period over there and that they are looking to use his experience. I haven't got a problem with that, but I think he's got to be fair to everyone and fair to himself.
"If he's going over there, playing two friendly matches and looking to come back and play for us, I think it's unrealistic.
"A lot of managers have to deal with this scenario. Dwight's not going to be around in the next World Cup, so he's got to be fair to himself. I'll be chatting to him and we'll see what is going to happen."
Yorke is due to leave for Trinidad directly after Sunderland's game against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday, linking up with his international team-mates in Port of Spain next Tuesday.
They play Nicaragua at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain on October 7 followed by a game against Panama four days later.
Yorke would then face a transatlantic flight - a 5,000-mile trip - arriving back in Sunderland the day before they go to Preston on October 14.
The former Manchester United striker, who played in the last World Cup in Germany, met Trinidad & Tobago coach Wim Rijsbergen last week to discuss his international future.
Rijsbergen said: "Dwight is of course trying to get back in the picture with Sunderland and he will try to help out as best as he can for the next two years.
"He was very positive and one of his goals is to play a part in the Gold Cup next year. Sooner or later he has to make a decision."
Yorke will now sit down with Keane before a decision is made about next week and his international future.
Yorke: Don't try to copy Keane.
By: Lewis Rutledge (Sky Sport).

Dwight Yorke has warned his Sunderland team-mates to tone down their aggression on the pitch. Since Roy Keane took over as manager at The Stadium of Light, Sunderland's results have improved dramatically, and a more physical approach has been integrated.
However, in the 3-1 defeat to Ipswich on Saturday, The Black Cats picked up five bookings - including a red card for Ross Wallace.
Yorke believes that some individuals are trying to copy the combative style Keane was famous for in his playing days, and he has urged them to keep their discipline.
"Just because Roy Keane is our manager, it does not mean we have to go tearing around the pitch looking for scraps all over the place," said Yorke.
"There was a lot of `handbag' stuff out there (against Ipswich) and there was no need for it. We should concentrate on playing our game.
"I think people get caught up in that stuff a bit too much.
"We have got an edge to our game, and I am sure the fans will love seeing players willing to scrap and fight, but you can do it too much.
"The more people just concentrate on playing their game, rather than trying to copy what the gaffer was all about, the better."
The defeat at Portman Road was Keane's first as a manager, and Yorke admits it was a big blow for everyone at Sunderland.
But the Trinidad & Tobago international is determined for The Black Cats to bounce back and continue their climb up the table.
"It is a massive disappointment. We felt we could go on an unbeaten run, and everyone has been on a high the last couple of weeks," Yorke told the club's official website.
"This is a bit of a reality check. We know that, with Roy being here, everyone wants to beat Sunderland - and we have to realise that and act accordingly.
"Everyone wants to get one over him because not many managed to get one over him when he was a player. They are determined to beat him.
"It is how we respond to what has happened that will interest the manager now. We have to beat Sheffield Wednesday and put this right."
Yorke can be an inspiration.
By: Sunderland Echo.

Sunderland made half-a-dozen new signings yesterday on the busiest transfer day in the club's history. But the one signing which has captured the imagination more than the other five put together is that of ex-Manchester United marksman Dwight Yorke.
The Trinidad and Tobago striker may be 34 now and have lost the pace which once made him a world class goalscorer.
But he remains a figure of world renown and for Sunderland fans starved in recent years of star names, Yorke's is a name that they can wear with pride on their shirts.
Nor will he be trading on former glories either, Yorke has been the star player in Australia's A league with Sydney FC and the club's manager Terry Butcher admitted he's 'our marquee player', recognising his star quality and big game temperament.
The signing of Yorke had all the more impact because it was such an unexpected approach.
The ex-Villa and Man United frontman had dropped off the radar since joining Sydney last July but new Sunderland boss Roy Keane had not forgotten about his former team-mate.
And he was also aware that while Yorke wasn't unhappy Down Under, he had admitted that he missed the competitiveness and sense of importance of fixtures in the English game.
The English game had largely forgotten about the player, despite his appearances for Trinidad and Tobago in this summer's World Cup.
So it was a major surprise when news broke yesterday that the club were pursuing the player from across the globe.
And it has been a superb bit of business to get a talismanic figure such as Yorke for just £200,000.
Keane will believe he can have the same sort of inspirational influence on the Sunderland dressing room as Niall Quinn had hoped Kevin Phillips would have had, had he been able to return to Wearside.
What remains to be seen is where Yorke will be deployed in the Sunderland set-up.
He was a prolific striker, for Manchester United in particular, scoring 47 goals in 96 appearances betwen 1998 and 2002.
But in recent seasons he has proven himself a more than capable central midfielder with the ability to win the ball and set up attacks.
With Sunderland having bought two central midfielders yesterday though in the shape of Graham Kavanagh and Liam Miller, adding to the likes of Dean Whitehead, Arnau and Grant Leadbitter, the temptation may be to ask him to play up front again.
Yorke's paciest days are long behind him but facing Championship defences is not the same as taking on Champions League rearguards and the new signing might show that his greatest gift to Sunderland will be the goals that will lift them up the league table.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 09:05:12 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke faces club versus country dilemma.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 06:53:03 AM »
Dwight use to fly back and forth to Austrailia ,and ein't miss a beat wham to keane ,he lapsing owha
steuppsss.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:57:21 AM »
he could miss thses games, Sunderland need him more than we do, maybe he will build up some good faith credit with Keane for doing that, and later on when we really need him, it aint go be no big discussion.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 07:07:49 AM »
he could miss thses games, Sunderland need him more than we do, maybe he will build up some good faith credit with Keane for doing that, and later on when we really need him, it aint go be no big discussion.
I ain't have no problem with that but I ain't like how he start saying ,well yorkee you won't be playing in 2010 .I hope this ain't a continuing problem ,cause am afraid without him ,we looking at a tie and maybe a slim victory in these up coming matches.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:12:26 AM »
What if Yorke is named an asst. coach ? Shouldn't he still go, Mr. Keane ?
Mind you, easy for Roy to say. he blank Ireland, when they need him, sooooo

add: besides, Sunderland has no lg games sched. between Oct'01 & 13.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 07:22:17 AM by maxg »

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 07:36:25 AM »
What if Yorke is named an asst. coach ? Shouldn't he still go, Mr. Keane ?
Mind you, easy for Roy to say. he blank Ireland, when they need him, sooooo

add: besides, Sunderland has no lg games sched. between Oct'01 & 13.

They might not have no games, but being so low on the table them need plenty practice, and this is good time for Yorke to gell with the rest of the team, get his match fitness and learn to play with his new teammates.
As much as I would like for us to win every game, i looking at these as opps for local guys to shine and get some caps

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 07:39:20 AM »
Blessing in disguise. T&T needs to learn how to play without Yorke, because he won't be around for too much longer. I'm of the opinion that Yorkies should step down from int'l duties and make way for the less experienced, so I have no issue with that scene......
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 07:44:23 AM »
Blessing in disguise. T&T needs to learn how to play without Yorke, because he won't be around for too much longer. I'm of the opinion that Yorkies should step down from int'l duties and make way for the less experienced, so I have no issue with that scene......

I think he should be stepping up in Intl. duties and assist in coaching the team. In 4 to 8 yrs, fulltime.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 07:48:11 AM »

I think he should be stepping up in Intl. duties and assist in coaching the team. In 4 to 8 yrs, fulltime.

what makes you think he'll be a good coach ?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 07:51:56 AM »
I have a problem with losing which we will .He should be replaced but gradually ,wiyh him grooming his successor just yanking him,the games will all be like the second half of the iceland match.

add : he should always be around the team,cause he somehow ,motivates them .

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 08:06:37 AM »

what makes you think he'll be a good coach ?

I don't know. That why he should start from now. Then in 4-8 yrs we can make a final call. He has played the game at the highest levels and would know what is required, and may still be able to actively demonstrate as well as teach. He has had the trust and qualities to be chosen to lead our most successful team ever. I think of all possibile future candidate, he would be my likely choice to be groomed to take us to the level very few locals have had the opportunity to experience. If we look at him now, then we can then make an informed decision in a few years. Rather than, hire somebody just to cove theyear, or stay all foreign. At present he can understudy Whim, unless we only want Anton. We at present still need somebody else full time, but 4 -8 yrs from now, we can still prepare for that. Mind you he is not the only one I would consider.

;) But what makes you think he will be ah bad coach ?  ;D

jus teasin

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 08:12:01 AM »
       Well said Kicker,these are exactly my thoughts on this issue,don't forget a lot of you thought T&T could not play or win without Latapy,all teams are doing this at this point in their development process towards the next WC,they have entirely new players playing for the first time,as supporters we will always have a different mindset than Coaches,what you do to win is more important than just winning and don't how you did it.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 08:25:17 AM »
Right now I think Keane starting Yorke on good faith cause I ain't read bout no great exploits from him. If the man say take these two off then I think Yorke should take the two off.

I don't want to see Yorke in the 2010 side. Not because I doh like him as a player but because we shouldn't have to need him as a player.
It have young fellas who need to get caps. In order to reach the highest level they need to be exposed at a younger age so managers can invest time in them. If kenwyne was 28 do you all think he would have been getting so much leeway?

Yorke could stay in Sunderland and work on his goal scoring form. I want him to buss the net consistently.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 08:26:49 AM »
Coops, gimme some feedback on my thoughts of Yorke as an asst. coach nah !

ps: It's all hypothetical, he may not even want the responsibility.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 08:33:27 AM »
If Dwight Yorke wants to continue to play International football, and he hasn't indicated that he doesn't, Dwight Yorke has a crucial role to play for the T&T National team....especially now.

That role is as mentor for the new players coming into the team.  There is no one else on the team currently capable of doing that with the effectiveness that Yorke does.

People sayin that we should introduce new players into the team but who will be there to show them the ropes of international football in the way a Dwight Yorke can?  As long as he continues to declare himself willing and able, we should utilize Dwight Yorke in the best way possible.

Besides...Keane talkin out his ass.  He sayin Dwight need to get match fit.  Well what matches he goin to play durin that break in England?  Keane is a man who did overs he own country 1)because he didn't like de coach and 2)to give all for Man United and look wha it get him.  De flikkin BOOT from both!

If Yorke say he not playin internatonal football anymore, by al means, go with we blessins.  He has served and lead extremely well, especially in this last WC campaign.  But as long as he still has the desire to compete at that level, we should use the talents he has to our benefit.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jaws

• DC/MD Warrior
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Arima massive!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 08:36:10 AM »
Country before club.... he cyar forget and he have to stake his position with Trini.... when dem clubs done wit yuh, just like dat de door close.... BUT Trini will always be open for Yorke and we need his leadership and possibly as a coach...
"Greatness is not one big thing being done: it's all the small things being done well"

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »
Dwight use to fly back and forth to Austrailia ,and ein't miss a beat wham to keane ,he lapsing owha
steuppsss.

I guess Keane use to see this going on while they were at Man U and trying to get a handle on it. Ferige mus be well fill him in

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 08:51:43 AM »
Country before club.... he cyar forget and he have to stake his position with Trini.... when dem clubs done wit yuh, just like dat de door close.... BUT Trini will always be open for Yorke and we need his leadership and possibly as a coach...

Hey Jaws yuh biting hard!! Well said, also agree fully with Palos on this one, nothing to add!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 08:56:30 AM »
I ain't have no problem with that but I ain't like how he start saying ,well yorkee you won't be playing in 2010 .I hope this ain't a continuing problem ,cause am afraid without him ,we looking at a tie and maybe a slim victory in these up coming matches.

boss st Vincent cut Nicaragua ass like 6-2 on aggregate and panama is rebuilding  . Plus we need to move on....... so he cannot make it no big deal
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »

boss st Vincent cut Nicaragua ass like 6-2 on aggregate and panama is rebuilding  . Plus we need to move on....... so he cannot make it no big deal
Ok thanks for the stats ,is just my team is have me quaking no matter who we play.

steuppsss.

I guess Keane use to see this going on while they were at Man U and trying to get a handle on it. Ferige mus be well fill him in

Any time my boss tell me no ,I is get vex and tink he is ar A- hole ,so I tink Keane is a A-hole  allways was.If wim say he don"t need yorke find ,but that is not some English manager desision to make ,am tired of that .
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 09:14:38 AM by Compre Version 2:0 »

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 09:18:36 AM »
well it start now..Wim may just ups and cancel the games if he can't get the overseas players,eh? ;D what then?
this place good for true! :-\

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 09:24:31 AM »
Yorke has done more than enough for us.
He obviously needs to develop some sort of chemistry and rhythm with his new team, and I believe we should let him do it.
Filho always talking about how our local players need to improve their technique against faster, and generally better opposition.
This is their chance. We already know Yorke could do that.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 09:32:15 AM »
I is a man doh usually agree wid Management. Call me the thorn, but on the real.................Keano talk good sense, Yorke has about 2 more years for the Maximum of playing Top football. I hear somebody talk bout he use to do it for Sydney FC, they failed to point out this was for WORLD CUP qualifying ....and really and truly the level on the A-league aint no where near Championship division.

Does Trinidad and Tobago really need the services of DWIGHT YORKE against Nic and Panama ??? If the answer is YES, Trinidad and Tobago is in a SAD state of affairs...........Is like when Yorke in the Geriatric home they go still wah him sweat !!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 09:41:49 AM »
 :rotfl:

So if a man in ah Geriatric home(that he buy btw) and he still the best in the Country at what ever he still doing, and still want to do, People should say no, yuh to old we doh want the best, right ? Riiittteee....
This is not about doing favors, or who young or old, or who have one eye...is about who is best now to do the job now...buh anyway dah is for anudda talk  :beermug:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »
My sentiments exactly Palos....

I believe that it is a perception of respect.....or lack of
you tink that Barca would treat my boy  Ronaldinho ;D the same way??
i personally dont think so...jmho

i jez find ah feedback page on the Sunderland F.C., site so maybe we should send some POSITIVE feedback to encourage them to allow (bad choice of words on my part Palos ;) ) let them know Dwight will play for TnT.
http://www.safc.com/fanzone/?page_id=4384
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:33:08 AM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 10:15:02 AM »
i jez find ah feedback page on the Sunderland F.C., site so maybe we should send some POSITIVE feedback to encourage them to allow Dwight to play for TnT
http://www.safc.com/fanzone/?page_id=4384

I eh think is a matter of dem "ALLOWIN" Dwight Yorke to play fuh we nah.  FIFA rules state they HAVE TO RELEASE HIM.  What every single one of our players faces is the threat of vindictiveness from their club managers by benchin them on their return etc.  Dat eh jes happenin now.  Dat happenin long time.

Ah see nobody really sayin anyting about Keane's claim that Yorke needs match fitness.  What matches Sunderland going to be playing in his absence? 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:17:12 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 10:15:34 AM »
fuh once i agree with yuh.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 10:25:25 AM »
Ive got a few points to make on this issue.

There is a good chance that if T&T qualify for World Cup 2010 then Yorke will be there regardless of anything that comes out of footballers mouths.

Now I dont want to go down the road of slagging off the TTFF but this was the same scenario that we had earlier this month where two games were called off because of the foreign based players having club versus country dilemmas. If you look back at those topics you will see that I mentioned at the time that we would have the same problem in October and we are.

There is no doubt that as well as Keane not wanting Yorke to go the other English clubs will not want Jack, Sancho, Lawrence, Edwards, Birchall, John and Jones to go on international duty. The TTFF have set a dangerous precedent for themselves by cancelling the games in September and it will be interesting to see what they do with the games in October.

With regard to Keane i think he has every right to state that he doesnt want Yorke to go on international duty. Keane has his club's best interests at heart, but he also knows that if Yorke wants to go then he cannot stop him. Keane is just expressing his opinion which is fair enough.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 12:02:38 PM by Remie »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 10:56:12 AM »
People have to understand Roy Keane's position,if you look at his career he have always been proveing himself to people all the time,by nature he is a fighter/controversies etc etc once you are involved with him expect something to happen.

If i'm not mistaken this is his first attempt at manageing a team at this level and as usual he is going to do it Roy's way,that's the way he played he cares about nobody,his aim now is to prove he can manage and be the best at it by improving that team,to improve you will need your players so don't blame the man.

Another point is Keane wanted Dwight because he believes Dwight can make him achieve his goals and this is what happens to these managers why it's tough for them to release players they paying so much money for,i don't think is a matter of not wanting them to play for their country,those clubs need them just as much.I thought big name/best players were the drawing card for attendance at games,it could be another reason(it happens right here in T&T)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 11:06:59 AM »
I doh care if he have 1 good match for TNT left. It is country before club. Nuff said
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>