April 19, 2024, 09:00:32 AM

Poll

Who was better for Barcelona Rivaldo vs Ronaldinho?

Rivaldo
20 (58.8%)
Ronaldinho
14 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: October 20, 2006, 04:33:16 PM

Author Topic: Rivaldo vs Ronaldinho  (Read 13199 times)

Offline troy piloy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Rivaldo vs Ronaldinho
« on: September 29, 2006, 04:33:16 PM »
I was just watching some clips of Barcelona in the late 90's early 2000's and it brought back some real good memories and it go me thinking who was the better and more domaiting player while playing for Barcelona.
Rivaldo or Ronaldinho, I like Ronaldinho but i think back of those days when Rivaldo used to grace the 10 for Barcelona i think he had more presence and drive that i think Ronaldinho hasn't shown on a constistant basis.
Think about the two 6 goal thrillers against Man Utd in the Champions league in 1999-2000 season or the excellent hat-trick performance against Valencia on the last day of the 2000-2001 seaon ( that helped Barca qualify to the champions league).
I think Rivaldo gets my vote

What do you all think.

Troy 8)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 05:02:36 PM by troy piloy »
Senior Advisor to AWATT's Intelligence Unit

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rivaldo vs Ronaldinho
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 04:59:06 PM »
At this moment, agreed...Rivaldo.  :beermug:

brilliant player

but Ronaldinho eh done yet
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 05:11:07 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 05:40:32 PM »
my vote will have tuh go to Rivaldo he is my all time favourite alongside latapy and edgar davids

RIVALDO!!!!!!!!!! :wavetowel:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 10:51:25 PM »

dis one hard but i give rivaldo

and that bicycle he put down... he was wickedd

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 11:43:20 PM »
Allyuh men really just like to talk
Where was Barcelona before Ronaldinho came and where were are they now? Done talk
Ronaldinho is being discussed as one of the best ever
Rivaldo, as good as he was, is never even brought up in that conversation
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 11:21:37 AM »
riva is ma all time favourite player and ronaldinho is ma new favourite player
but ronaldinho probably is better
rivaldo meant more to barcelona though

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 12:24:57 PM »
One thing I think Rivaldo was better at was shooting.  Rivaldo used to be able to shoot however he receive the ball, plenty volleys and bicycles, and long range shots.

Ronaldinho likes to trap and then set himself up or shoot on the run. .  Ronaldinho strength is his dribbling which means he can get closer to the goal before he shoots.  The dribbling is nice but I like to see a bullet from far rip into de net.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »
2 players on the same side at different times both of them extremely talented Brazilian onl difference is one left footed and the other right

See the thing about them players is that the team relys so much on them that when they have a off game the whole team suffers.

No one could forget Rivaldo for Barca against Valencia and nobody go forget Ronaldinho for Barca agaist AC Milan. Rivaldo was made the scapegoat for many of Barca's failures though and it was unfair to him.
That 99 season when they wea the centenary jerse was one of the best season of football Barca play.

Rivaldo with the bow foot could ah hit a bullet though. WOW. I remember the man hit a bullet on he ground and he curl it. Only man I see do that.

Més que un club.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 01:18:12 PM »
when rivaldo first arrived at barca, was his impact immediate. i am asking here b/c i cant remember.  the reason is some have attributed barca's rise up la liga table a few seasons ago to the arrival of edgar davids and not ronaldinho. true, the brazilian have the flair and all that but davids helped stabilize the midfield, doing the grunt work for which one gets little praise.  supposedly they wanted to keep him but things didnt work out. 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 01:29:33 PM »
when rivaldo first arrived at barca, was his impact immediate. i am asking here b/c i cant remember.  the reason is some have attributed barca's rise up la liga table a few seasons ago to the arrival of edgar davids and not ronaldinho. true, the brazilian have the flair and all that but davids helped stabilize the midfield, doing the grunt work for which one gets little praise.  supposedly they wanted to keep him but things didnt work out. 

well Rivaldo had a big team around him from the start
Figo, Guardiola, Zenden

when Ronaldinho reach Barca was real shit they did now start to get rid of Dani and Rochemback and them shithounds so yuh have a point with Davids

the reason he did not stay is he wanted to much money
So he went Inter and shit down he self now he in the EPL
if he wasnt so greedy he might ah have 2 La Liga titles and a CL

Més que un club.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »

Rivaldo was made the scapegoat for many of Barca's failures though and it was unfair to him.......................Rivaldo with the bow foot could ah hit a bullet though. WOW. I remember the man hit a bullet on he ground and he curl it. Only man I see do that.

Very true!!

when rivaldo first arrived at barca, was his impact immediate. i am asking here b/c i cant remember. the reason is some have attributed barca's rise up la liga table a few seasons ago to the arrival of edgar davids and not ronaldinho. true, the brazilian have the flair and all that but davids helped stabilize the midfield, doing the grunt work for which one gets little praise. supposedly they wanted to keep him but things didnt work out.

Very true, too!!   I remember me and my padna an dem talking abiut it at the time because Barca was going through a bad spell and then they brought in Davids and it was lights out for their opponents for the remainder of the season.  Tottenham cannot appreciate the value of Edgar Davids.  Is a man I HATED  when he was at Juventus, but BOY do I respect this man's ability and work rate!!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 07:59:39 PM »
Rivaldo: never saw a shot he didn't like  ;D Supremely  talented... what I liked about him was the way he could take control of a game against ANY opposition; other have mentioned the 6 goal classic against Manu. Another team without that player that day woulda get wash, but Rivaldo took the team on his back and carried them.
To me, Ronaldinho is more of a team player (true, he has REALLY good team mates), but his team play is both a strenght and weakness. It is a tossup to me, but maybe Ronaldinho because of his ability to make the whole team (other players) better.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 08:55:42 PM »
Ronaldinho is a better player than Rivaldo ever was. I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I'm speaking as a Barca fan here. Ronaldinho arrived and I had to ask "Rivaldo Who ?"

But to answer the question. Ironically Rivaldo was more important to his team than Ronaldinho is to this one. The quality of the defense now is a lot better.Rivaldo had jokers like Christianval in the rotation. Barca took years to find a good back line. Rivaldo had Guardiola but Ronaldinho has Iniesta, Xavi and Edmilson. In attack, Kluivert was a man who used to miss 4 sitters but score insane goals. Eto'o is in a class above Kluivert. Rivaldo had a less talented team and was the undisputed king of FC Barcelona. When Figo left he carried the side. I remember a hattrick he scored against Valencia to qualify us to the CL.One of the goals included a bicylce kick assisted by a flick up from his own chest after a long pass from one of the De Boers.  I also remember when he got injured in his last season there, Barca was a different team.

Ronaldinho played a similar role in his first season but didn't really make the difference until Barca acquired a workhorse. When Deco and Eto'o came it was all over. Ronaldinho made mas and he hasn't stopped since. In my view he is one of the best players ever, but to objective I'll have to say that Rivaldo was more valuable to his team. But he's still better than Rivaldo was.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 04:46:31 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline santacruz

• Full Warrior
  • This year is the Dutch year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »
ah go have tuh give Rivaldo it, he was just phenomenal for barcelona. that valencia game actually bring tears tuh muh eyes.he just take over that game completely, the bicycle was the icing on the cake,but if allyuh really think about it, that was one of may bicycle kicks that man score that season. has any other player scored as many bicycle kicks as he? what makes it so fascinating is that he sets himself up for it, unassisted.brilliant player!
Fatima old boy graduate in '95 from Form 5, '97 from Form 6, lived in Santa Cruz.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 05:16:59 AM »
It is so close to call between the two. Ronaldinho has played in a team with a better manager and with better team players around him than Rivaldo had. For that reason it is very difficult to tell who made the bigger impact or who indeed was the better player. They both have won the FIFA World Player of the Year award, meaning that they both were rated as the best player in the world of their own eras at some point.

The statistics (as correct up to July 2006) will say Rivaldo was more prolific in front of goal but they wont tell you how creative and the effect on a game that Ronaldinho has.

Rivaldo- 86 goals in 157 games for Barca (averaging 0.55 goals a game)

Ronaldinho- 41 goals in 96 games for Barca (averaging 0.43 goals a game)

However, I dont like to sit on the fence so if i did have to call a name i would have to go with Rivaldo purely for the end product.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 05:19:39 AM by Remie »

Offline Darkromeo

• New Warrior
  • Tru Tru warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 02:36:30 PM »
I dont think ronaldinho could ever be considerd the type of player that can carry ah team on his back like Rivaldo was for Barca then or like Henry is to Arsanal now. Ronaldinho strenght 4 me is his passing ability and his vision is sepectacular. Rivaldo at that time was in total control of that team, it was his and he lead from infront. Ronaldinho is the main man for Barca now but he aint the be all and end all of the team.

So for value to team Rivaldo had my vote. But as someone said earlier Ronaldinho is ah team player and the current Barca side plays team ball. I remember it had ah game where Rivaldo real get pissed at ah teammate cause he give back d  next side d ball after they had kick it out cause ah barca player was injured. Not sure how Rivaldo would hav worked on Barca now. So in de end is how these players fit in and see themselves on there team. Rivaldo was King in his time Ronaldinho is now the Prince (Rijkaard is king) ...........................................Player for Player Ronaldinho takes it.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 03:30:32 PM »
Allyuh men really just like to talk
Where was Barcelona before Ronaldinho came and where were are they now? Done talk
Ronaldinho is being discussed as one of the best ever
Rivaldo, as good as he was, is never even brought up in that conversation

huh ? You hadda be kidding.... In his day, Rivaldo had been touted by many (including Maradonna) as the best in the world and one of the best ever.......but you might be too young to know about that.....or just have a short memory.

I'm not saying he's better than Ronaldinho, and FIFA obviously doesn't think so based on their awards (Rivaldo only won FIFA World player of the year once, Ronaldinho- twice so far)....but to say that Rivaldo was never in the discussion of being the best ever is WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!

Barca went through some dog days for a few seasons running where Rivaldo carried the team on his back in a capacity that Ronaldinho hasn't had to do......
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 05:00:25 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 04:41:55 PM »
I love both as players, but to me, Rivaldo at his peak was better than Ronaldinho is now. The only difference is that Ronaldinho can still improve, and Ronaldinho is far more marketable (always smiling, trying ridiculous moves vs Rivaldo who always looked glum and had an awkward style)..so everyone is always hearing about Ronaldinho being the greatest ever. As superb as Roaldinho is, he has more of a hype machine behind him than Rivaldo ever did. But still, we really have to wait til Ronaldinho peaks to answer the question...and even then we will come up with different answers.  They were pretty even in any individual category of technical or athletic ability but Rivaldo had more of an eye for goal , while Ronaldinho looks to make the pass more than his older countryman, sometimes to the point of being wasteful and you wish he would just shoot..but when they both got it right..they are both magic. Rivaldo had better work rate and was more of a team player off the ball...but was less of a team player on the ball. I've seen Rivaldo play games for Barca that Ronaldinho still hasn't matched....as for their play for Brazil..so far Rivaldo has been clearly superior...especially in the big tournaments. But Ronaldinho is young and has time and the ability to surpass Rivaldo....but he not there yet

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 06:19:05 PM »

I've seen Rivaldo play games for Barca that Ronaldinho still hasn't matched....

True

Més que un club.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 05:57:44 AM »
Hands down Rivaldo. Subjective as hell, but Rivaldo it is.

I believe one of the factors affecting Rivaldo's perception in the football world is his temperament.

Aside from his arsenal of talents, Ronaldinho is a very appealing figure, ever-ready with a smile and - as far as I'm aware - in sound relations with practically all. IMO this influences the way we view him outside of his skill. Rivaldo was a more turbulent presence.

So ... I figured many would be in Ronaldinho's corner, especially since Rivaldo is the past and Ronaldinho the near future. But, my faith in the judgement of soca warriors is maintained because most see that Rivaldo is where the buck stops and should stop.

The truth is on every level: goals scored, the character of the goals, the impact on team, surrounding cast (Jah Gol's point) and even the strike rate of goals (I believe) bring the curtain down on Ronaldinho.

With Rivaldo there just seems to be much of the 'turn nothing into something' element, whereas with Ronaldinho you're expecting magic right through.

My other complaint about Ronaldinho (and I admit to be injecting some WC stuff beyond the scope of the thread) is that I haven'treally seen him solve problems on the field with the sort of doggedness and tenacity I saw with Rivaldo.

One man's opinion.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:59:29 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 08:05:15 AM »
I think Ronaldinho is more technically gifted than Rivaldo was. Rivaldo's Barca was weak comparing to this one so he had to be the leader. If you look at a Barca game today you'll see although Ronaldinho is the main playmaker he is not THE leader of the team. You might say the coach is. Rivaldo scored more goals and he had to. You can't depend on Kluivert . Presented with the same situation, in his first season, Ronnie stepped up and scored goals in the absence of Kluivert and Saviola.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:40:49 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 10:25:14 AM »
All a allyuh could gone from here with that Rivaldo talk.
Man who grabbin his face after gettin hit on his thigh. Never win a Champions League.

If you want to be objective, let's compare stats.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 10:49:31 AM »
Man who grabbin his face after gettin hit on his thigh. Never win a Champions League.

Rivaldo has a Champions League medal with Milan. He got some playing time in the games leading up to the final.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 11:23:05 AM »

Seriously Marcos. Yuh joking right?? Yuh didn't check what Remie say??

The statistics (as correct up to July 2006) will say Rivaldo was more prolific in front of goal but they wont tell you how creative and the effect on a game that Ronaldinho has.

Rivaldo- 86 goals in 157 games for Barca (averaging 0.55 goals a game)
Ronaldinho- 41 goals in 96 games for Barca (averaging 0.43 goals a game)

Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 01:48:06 PM »
You callin what he get with milan a winners medal?
how many minutes did he exactly play?

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 02:17:07 PM »
You callin what he get with milan a winners medal?
how many minutes did he exactly play?

He got playing time therefore he contributed to Milan's success in the CL. Talk done.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 06:15:39 PM »

Marcos..you know much better than than. Don't play you going to stats to show who is a better player. Stern ain't the greatest striker in international football..but if you went to the stats it would probably say so. Come nah man..dat eh go stick bredda  :devil: And any how you look at it, Rivaldo stats at barcelona and for Brazil superior to Ronaldinho stats. And doh be trying to call personal awards like World or European PLayer of the year a stat..that is a subjective pappy show award that many who deserve it have nnot won and many who have won it, do not deserve. Team victories are just that..team victories. Barcelona winning the CL is not a Ronaldinho accomplishment..it is a Barcelona accomplishment. You trying to tell me Karembeu better than Ronaldinho and Rivaldo..lok he win more CLs than both of them. The only real stats are stats on the field..goals scored..assists...etc. And Rivaldo wins that hands down...but like they say..stats doh lie..but they doh tell the whole truth either....respect boss

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 06:35:43 PM »

Marcos..you know much better than than. Don't play you going to stats to show who is a better player. Stern ain't the greatest striker in international football..but if you went to the stats it would probably say so. Come nah man..dat eh go stick bredda  :devil: And any how you look at it, Rivaldo stats at barcelona and for Brazil superior to Ronaldinho stats. And doh be trying to call personal awards like World or European PLayer of the year a stat..that is a subjective pappy show award that many who deserve it have nnot won and many who have won it, do not deserve. Team victories are just that..team victories. Barcelona winning the CL is not a Ronaldinho accomplishment..it is a Barcelona accomplishment. You trying to tell me Karembeu better than Ronaldinho and Rivaldo..lok he win more CLs than both of them. The only real stats are stats on the field..goals scored..assists...etc. And Rivaldo wins that hands down...but like they say..stats doh lie..but they doh tell the whole truth either....respect boss

doh study Marcos.........jus' be like "whoa youth yuh talkin' mess"  :D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
This is completely objective.
Ronaldinho is Rivaldo fadda when it comes to football.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 06:59:19 PM »
This is completely objective.
Ronaldinho is Rivaldo fadda when it comes to football.

"whoa youth yuh talking mess"

1]; } ?>