March 28, 2024, 05:15:46 PM

Author Topic: Baseball World Series Thread..  (Read 11822 times)

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
Baseball World Series Thread..
« on: October 03, 2006, 04:30:54 PM »
North American based.. (or anybody who cares for that matter)..

Baseball Play-offs begining tonite..

OAKLAND A'S VS MINNESOTA TWINS

ST LOIUIS CARDINALS  VS SAN DIEGO PADRES

DETROIT LION VS NEW YORK YANKEES

LOS ANGELES DODGERS VS NEW YORK METS

PICK YUH WINNA
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball World Series Thread..
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 04:40:50 PM »
Twins
Padres <st lou stinking 2 weeks now>
Tigers<best bet>
Dodgers

hard luk capo but like the mets done before it start ,el duque out
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 07:04:25 PM by Compre Version 2:0 »

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »
Yeah, the Mets don't have a prayer without their pitching ace. I haven't followed baseball as closely as I once did when I lived in the U.S. I'm just glad that the Braves are out.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 08:12:22 PM by dwolfman »

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 08:15:26 PM »
YANKEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:56:03 AM »
it only have one team in new york.METS.yankees eh winnin shit.tigers will cut they ass.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:17:57 AM »
Look to me like Yankees
A  L  L         T  H  E           W  A  Y

Derek slap dem 5 for 5
an my man Johnny still  ;D lookin civilised  heh heh

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/nyy/y2006/m10/d03/c1697656.jsp

Jeter adds to postseason legend
10/04/2006 2:18 AM ET
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- There was no easing into this postseason for Derek Jeter. His October reputation already set for the ages, Jeter somehow managed to add another chapter to his legend in Game 1 of this Division Series against the Tigers.
By the end of the night, the Yankees captain had once again awed everyone from teammates to opponents to fans.

All Jeter did was go 5-for-5, tying the record for most hits in a postseason game. The feat had only been done five times before, so naturally, Jeter had to do it. He did it in the flow of the game, helping the Yankees to an 8-4 victory over the Tigers.

"It's easy to fall into the trap of, 'Oh, it's just Derek being unbelievable in the postseason.' To him, it's just another game," said Yankees slugger Jason Giambi. "I don't know if it's because he started his career young and has been in the playoffs, but he's definitely a special talent, no doubt about it. He's unbelievable. He just gets into those games and bears down and just starts throwing hits all over the place."

Jeter capped off the magical night by belting a solo homer to left-center in the bottom the eighth. Deafening roars cascaded from the packed house at Yankee Stadium. A curtain call followed.

Just another night at the office for one of the great clutch players of the last decade. Jeter extended his postseason hits record to 147 and his Division Series hits record to 64.

Per usual, the least impressed person at Yankee Stadium seemed to be Jeter, who was interested in the win and not much else.

"Not necessarily when I have a night like this, [but] when the team has a night like this, you're able to relax a little bit," said Jeter. "But it's a short series. You can't relax in this series. You come right back [Wednesday]. You want to win the first game, especially at home."

It was as if Jeter was on a mission to get a win. Before he had reached full throttle with the bat, Jeter made a brilliant play with the glove in the top of the third inning. He went into the hole to field a grounder by Placido Polanco, swiftly got it to second base for the force, and watched Robinson Cano complete the 6-4-3 double play.

Then, in the bottom of the third inning, Jeter grabbed a big piece of momentum by smashing a basehit into center and stretching it into a double with all-out hustle. A game that was scoreless up to that point suddenly had Yankees at second and third with nobody out. From there, the Yankees wouldn't be stopped. Bobby Abreu hammered a two-run double. Gary Sheffield slapped an RBI single. Giambi roped a two-run homer and it was 5-0, Yankees.

Jeter had set the tone.

Most hits in a postseason game

Paul Blair, Bal, 10/6/69, ALCS vs. Min.
Paul Molitor, Mil, 10/12/82, WS vs. Stl.
Marquis Grissom, Atl, 10/7/95, NLDS vs. Col.
Mike Stanley, Bos, 10/10/99 ALDS vs. Cle.
Hideki Matsui, NY, 10/16/04, ALCS vs. Bos.
Derek Jeter, NY, 10/3/06, ALDS vs. Det.
"The thing is, every at-bat means something," said Jeter.

Just as the Tigers crept back into it at 5-3, Jeter helped spread it back out. His double in the sixth once again set up runners at second and third with nobody out. And Abreu came through with another two-run hit, this one a single.

"He was awesome as usual," said Sheffield. "He stepped up for us big today, and once we got up big, he kept pouring it on for the rest of the game."

Coming off a regular season that just might win him his first Most Valuable Player Award, Jeter again reinforced that the postseason is what counts most for him.

"Derek is a special player," said Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez. "I'm very proud to be his teammate."

Of course, the Yankee who is linked most often to Jeter is the manager. Joe Torre and Jeter planted roots together in New York in 1996. Ten years later, Torre still shakes his head in disbelief when asked to recap another heroic night by his shortstop.

"I don't want to say he has a plan, but he just seems to relish this atmosphere," said Torre. "He's been so big for us for 11 years here and, you know, again, I can't say I'm surprised. Everything worked well for him tonight. Starting that double play was not an easy play. Swinging the bat tonight, he was on everything."

This was what Abreu saw on television for all those Octobers he was a spectator. Tuesday night, he got to witness the Jeter legend up close.

"That guy is amazing," said Abreu. "Right now, being behind him, watching him play, it's amazing. That guy, he's a gamer, he's a leader and you can learn a lot of things from him. Like I say, it's amazing. That's amazing, watching him play."

Most amazing of all is that such a performance was not entirely unexpected when you consider who produced it.

"He doesn't amaze me at all," said Yankees closer Mariano Rivera. "I've seen it before, and he'll keep doing it as long as he's here."
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trini Madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 12:36:40 PM »
it only have one team in new york.METS.yankees eh winnin shit.tigers will cut they ass.

lol ok look at this.....yankees have made the playoffs every year since 95. what about tigers? tigers have a good young squad but them rookies i think won't handle the playoff pressure......especially when you're playing in yankee stadium.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 07:29:29 PM »
I backing the mets.  pedro was only 9-8 this season and reyes, wright, delgado and beltran still do the job without him.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 08:34:12 PM »
a national league team not winning the world series. the AL is just too strong -- my team was the twins but they down 2-0 so now i just rooting for anyone but the yankees (and preferrably not the mets)

Offline Trini Madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 06:43:58 AM »
a national league team not winning the world series. the AL is just too strong -- my team was the twins but they down 2-0 so now i just rooting for anyone but the yankees (and preferrably not the mets)

like yuh hate new york bad bad  ;D

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 09:47:56 AM »
yankees on de brink of elimination.hehehehehehe

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 03:01:44 PM »

Nice
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 04:39:10 PM »

dey done like dinner, 8-0 Det 8th inning  :rotfl:

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 01:36:52 PM »
Mets sweep the Dodgers in a 9-5 game 3 win. There goes that theory about losing without their ace pitcher.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 01:51:16 PM »
Mets sweep the Dodgers in a 9-5 game 3 win. There goes that theory about losing without their ace pitcher.
Yeah they lose two starters ,guess the guys rally around that ,very surprising lets see how long it last ,would not mind meh boy Delgado winning a chapionship ...

Offline Trini Madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 05:42:12 PM »
arod.......what an overpaid overrated piece ah sh*t!!!! i doh want him back screw he. its funny how one little thing can mess up everything. arod up at bat with bases loaded and 2 out......and what does he do? strikes out.

Athletics and Mets in the world series. A's gonna take the championship. i have a respect for the mets....but its the fans who i hate.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 06:48:48 PM »
arod.......what an overpaid overrated piece ah sh*t!!!! i doh want him back screw he. its funny how one little thing can mess up everything. arod up at bat with bases loaded and 2 out......and what does he do? strikes out.

Athletics and Mets in the world series. A's gonna take the championship. i have a respect for the mets....but its the fans who i hate.

i read joe torre days are numbered... a rod is definately overpaid ( and so are the entire roster).

This is the most expensive team in the world.. even more expensive that man u..one would expect them to win outright...now thier taking there expenisve salaries and spending time in disney world... ;D

check out these guys salaries..

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=9&year=2006
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »
so said so done.

Offline Trini Madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 01:39:40 PM »

i read joe torre days are numbered... a rod is definately overpaid ( and so are the entire roster).

This is the most expensive team in the world.. even more expensive that man u..one would expect them to win outright...now thier taking there expenisve salaries and spending time in disney world... ;D

check out these guys salaries..

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=9&year=2006

torre is a good manager but i think its time to bring in someone else.......say like lou pinella.

can you imagine miguel cairo a bench player receiving a million dollars!!

they not going disney world.....while de playoffs still going on them playing golf in florida somewhere. you does go disney world when you win de world series  ;D

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 06:19:22 PM »
darn it

soooo looong Yankees :-[
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 04:14:36 AM »
Didn't realize the mets have shawn green .....so wait thr big stars are Shawn Green ,Carlos Delgado and Chris Carpenter fot St Louis  :o >:( that is the 2002 Toronto BlueJays Line up wha d tail!! we drafted them  !!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 04:18:20 AM by Compre Version 2:0 »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 04:03:37 PM »
Is ah yankee crush that plane  :o

Offline Trini Madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 06:13:51 PM »
i say this in the other forum....if yankees won that series against the tigers cory lidle wouldve been alive right now.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 06:51:24 PM »
they shouldn ha sign him in the first place ,

Offline Trini Madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 07:00:23 PM »
they shouldn ha sign him in the first place ,

nah he was part of a trade that sent abreu with him

he was a good pitcher nevertheless

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 07:23:13 PM »
oh well  ok then , RIP corey

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 11:23:36 AM »
so it lookin like ah mets tigers final.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 09:02:43 PM »
Tigers completed their sweep of the A's today. Mets went down 2-1 to the Cardinals.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 03:24:57 PM »
The Mets are struggling in the bull pen. Besides Glavine the other starters are a waste of time. No Pedro and no El Duque means this team is in real trouble for Games 4 and 5. Their fielding and their batting is going to have to be big for them to win.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2006, 09:45:12 PM »
mets even up the series.  I think glavine is pitching the next game on short rest.  delgado is the best player of the postseason so far.

1]; } ?>