April 16, 2024, 06:54:54 AM

Author Topic: Stern century against Panama  (Read 2704 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern century against Panama
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:27:10 PM »
Stern century against Panama, but T&TFF row continues.
By: Lasana Liburd (Trinidad Express).

Trinidad and Tobago national record goal-scorer Stern John seems set to make his 100th appearance in the red, black and white strip this evening as the "Soca Warriors" face Panama from 6.30 p.m. at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
The Panamanians, who defeated El Salvador 1-0 on Saturday, should provide a tougher test for the local team who romped to an easy 5-0 win over St Vincent on the weekend. However, the Warriors have history on their side.
Trinidad and Tobago are undefeated against Panama in their past five outings dating back to a 6-0 win at the Queen's Park Oval on August 16, 2000. The Warriors did not concede a goal in any of those fixtures and managed to score nine items from their three home matches.
John, who scored in both legs against Panama in the 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign, would hope to add to his 67 international goals. He took some time to ponder his 11-year career in national senior team colours yesterday.
"Definitely it's a big occasion for me," John told Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) media officer Shaun Fuentes. "And I have to thank the guys who play alongside me for making this possible as well since my debut for the country."
The mood within the national camp remains tense, though, as the stand-off between players and administrators rumbles on.
Last Friday, 13 members of the present squad announced their intention to retire from the game after an alleged breach of contract by the T&TFF.
The Federation countered by referring to the players as delinquent and dishonourable and, yesterday afternoon, they threw in discourteous too as general secretary Richard Groden claimed that the aggrieved Warriors failed to attend two scheduled meetings with the T&TFF.
Groden said Dennis Lawrence and John-the only player representatives available in the absence of team captain Dwight Yorke, Shaka Hislop, Kelvin Jack and Brent Sancho-were asked to meet with the T&TFF on Monday and yesterday but did not turn up or even contact the Federation.
"This inexplicable unwillingness to meet with us on an issue publicly raised by you puts the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation in a rather invidious position," stated Groden, in a letter copied to the press, "since your media exposure last Friday makes us out as the villain and, after repeated requests to resolve the matter around the table, you are yet to show up or communicate a reason for your absence."
The players denied they received an official invitation to meet with Groden but revealed they would meet the T&TFF general secretary at 10 a.m. today.
The meeting will be another compromise by the Warriors who initially voiced a preference to speak to FIFA vice-president and T&TFF special adviser Jack Warner. 
One senior player, who spoke on condition of anonymity, explained that Warner should be present since it was he who agreed to the 2006 World Cup contract with the players. However, Warner has attempted to distance himself from the episode at this stage.
The players and T&TFF confirm that the contract drawn up by Warner, last November, offered the players half of revenue earned from the World Cup campaign but differ as to whether this was before or after deductions.
The players also questioned the integrity of the unaudited statement of income and expenditure presented by the T&TFF, which led to them being offered just $5,644.08 each.
National coach Wim Rijsbergen, who sees the rift as a disruption to his own plans, hopes the squad is focused on this evening's match.
"It is important that we keep focused because Panama will not be an easy game," said the former Dutch international. "We know what we have to do and hopefully the players will concentrate on the game and give the kind of performance that can bring us a good result."
Rijsbergen is likely to keep the nucleus of his starting team from Saturday's win over St Vincent, although he should replace the absent Yorke with CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh captain Kerry Baptiste.
Yorke left Trinidad on Monday to return to his England Championship Division club, Sunderland.
It would be only Baptiste's third start for his country although he has already earned 12 caps. He notched his first goal on Saturday with a composed finish following a brilliant John cross.
John, who scored twice himself against St Vincent, insisted that the team would continue to do its best despite the friction with the local administrators.
"Even though there is this matter up in the air at the moment," said John, "I feel that I can focus on the game and hopefully we can pull off another win over Panama."

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:38:48 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

TrinInfinite

Re: Stern century against Panama
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:29:42 PM »
everytime i read about what happened, it makes me see how corrupt our society is even to its heroes, real bold faced.... >:(

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 09:59:20 PM »
Stern century against Panama, but T&TFF row continues.
By: Lasana Liburd (Trinidad Express).

The players and T&TFF confirm that the contract drawn up by Warner, last November, offered the players half of revenue earned from the World Cup campaign but differ as to whether this was before or after deductions.
The players also questioned the integrity of the unaudited statement of income and expenditure presented by the T&TFF, which led to them being offered just $5,644.08 each.

This part to me is really strange. I am gathering that it was either a really badly written contract that did not specify when deductions would be taken, a major, major faux pax on the part of Jack & co.(ent is he that write the contract?) or smartman Jack write the contract just so, to make the players feel they getting some money at that time, and them eh realize what could happen from a contract as open as that, and then when Worldcup done Jack drop de axe.

Could he really be that devious?

Anyway, from the wording, if it is so, half of the revenue is half of the revenue. It eh have no deductions to come from that before the players get paid. Revenue is before expenses, and Jack and co. would have to be a total pack of asses to word a contract like that. So maybe is ah mistake dey make fuh true, because we all know they are some of the biggest asses ever. If is after deductions then they would have said half of PROFITS.

Dah "CONTRACT" sounding like a comedy of errors. Ah wonder if anybody even sign anything, or is one ah dem "Trust me man, after de World Cup we go write all wha' ah say here in ah contract. Just go play."

Dais wha it sound like to me.
Two islands are better than one.

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:24:55 PM »
everytime i read about what happened, it makes me see how corrupt our society is even to its heroes, real bold faced.... >:(

ent?   Is high time T&t gets its act together,  too much corruption, mismanagement, malfeasance and bobol.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 05:12:57 AM »

ent? Is high time T&t gets its act together, too much corruption, mismanagement, malfeasance and bobol.

could not say it better my self...

p.s... and yuh know when tt and ti agree on ah point... that good as gold... ;D
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:24:03 AM »

ent?   Is high time T&t gets its act together,  too much corruption, mismanagement, malfeasance and bobol.

If these two can agree, then there is hope for the Warriors and the TTFF...my hopes have been lifted.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 09:25:58 AM »
I think this a good thing for TnT ...it will teach all that they need to have their own attorney representing the players, especially with something as big as this when it comes to negotiating contracts.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 11:58:44 AM »

ent? Is high time T&t gets its act together, too much corruption, mismanagement, malfeasance and bobol.

could not say it better my self...

p.s... and yuh know when tt and ti agree on ah point... that good as gold... ;D

Am I seeing right  :o

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 12:08:20 PM »
Congrats on ya 100th game Stern, I hope you in real good shape as I want de team to keep feeding you de ball so you could geh at least ah Hat Trick :) :praying: ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:45:01 PM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 12:17:40 PM »
i dont think the players association would sign a contract that does not hav the appproval of an attorney.

the question is where is the always vocal jack?
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »
Stern, I hope you in real good shape as I want de team to keep feeding you de ball so you could geh at least ah Hat Trick :)

:beermug: What I'll never get over is the POWER in Stern's LEFT foot when he unleashed that corker from 20 yards against Mexico at the Hasely. Before he goes to a game, he meditates and watches that to pump himself up, trust meh on da one.

Fellahs, does anybody you know hit with his 2nd best foot as good as that? As they say in the southern US,.....  Daayyuumm!!

Oh sorry, for the guests now tuning in..click on Sports, Gols Galore Trinbago Style, then Stern John Goals and TT vs Mexico
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>