March 28, 2024, 04:06:41 AM

Author Topic: NBA Season 2006-07 Thread.  (Read 17520 times)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Season 2006-07 Thread.
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2006, 03:34:26 PM »
nuggets-knicks. this is what makes the nba unwatchable.

well doh watch it.. me and millions of other Basketball fans around the globe will watch it for you.

boss, i doh watch nba any more - for a while now. i think since the lockout. trouble is that brawls like this make mainstream news which is what i follow. and this seems to be the only kind of mess coming out in the news concerning the nba. is either that or kobe bryant rape charge. that's the nba.

i forget - the other nba news that makes the mainstream news is when a franchise folds up.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2006, 03:50:07 PM »
Well then you should stop watching the news ,cause is obviously sensationalist news reporting,always negative stuff they force feeding everybody.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2006, 06:39:37 PM »
for some reason certain elements in the media have an agenda to portray the NBA as thuggish.

the NBA have this one brawl in 2 years (not saying that it right).  Every baseball season it does have a couple benches-clearing brawls.  It not uncommon to see NFL players throwing punches/shoves after the end of the play.  Yet the NBA in particular has a reputation of being full of thugs.

Even when you listen to the talking heads discussing the issue there is a difference in the language they use to talk about the issue.  This season had a fight in baseball (involving the white sox, can't remember the other team).  All the experts explain it away by using words like 'competitiveness', 'frustration' etc.  Suspensions were very short and the fight only made news the day after.  Now this NBA brawl is 'shameful', 'violent', 'thuggish' and 'disgusting' and people will still be talking about it when they doing postseason wrap-ups.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2006, 07:00:54 PM »
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:16:13 PM by big dawg »
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2006, 07:09:20 PM »
thz big ,mello is ah bitcha he sucker punch the man and then run steuppss.,and that smith <nuggets> is ah nut .
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:13:52 PM by CV:5 »

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2006, 09:28:58 PM »
crucial OT win for the knicks tonight over the Jazz.  Charlotte next up on wednesday.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2006, 08:00:32 AM »
for some reason certain elements in the media have an agenda to portray the NBA as thuggish.

the NBA have this one brawl in 2 years (not saying that it right).  Every baseball season it does have a couple benches-clearing brawls.  It not uncommon to see NFL players throwing punches/shoves after the end of the play.  Yet the NBA in particular has a reputation of being full of thugs.

Even when you listen to the talking heads discussing the issue there is a difference in the language they use to talk about the issue.  This season had a fight in baseball (involving the white sox, can't remember the other team).  All the experts explain it away by using words like 'competitiveness', 'frustration' etc.  Suspensions were very short and the fight only made news the day after.  Now this NBA brawl is 'shameful', 'violent', 'thuggish' and 'disgusting' and people will still be talking about it when they doing postseason wrap-ups.

True enough,, the wording used by the sportswriters tends to sway opinions one way or another

Too many tats, braids and iced out chains  in the league....on the stars
They want the league squeaky clean like back in the heydays of jordan.....back then the bad boys was man like barkley, malone and oakley...and even dem fellahs was conservative dressers

You have a point about the bench brawls in baseball...HOWEVER you have to remember that the baseball and NFL fights are contained on the field
Them NBA boys spillin into the crowd and landiin in people lap all kinda wileness....besides the lawsuit dey will get in dey ass by somebody who might end up with a broken arm or something if it continues

Consider the fact that a lot of those front row seats are high paid season ticket holders...if de league start to alienate dem fellahs,,dey dogs dead..dais de bread and butter
If the seats not fillin...de merchandise aint sellin

They even trying to tone down the fights in hockey....make it more mainstream

Bottom line,, it affectin david stern and dem money$$$$$$$$

Once yuh 4kin wit ah man pocket...chit does get serious
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2006, 10:43:48 AM »

True enough,, the wording used by the sportswriters tends to sway opinions one way or another

Too many tats, braids and iced out chains  in the league....on the stars
They want the league squeaky clean like back in the heydays of jordan.....back then the bad boys was man like barkley, malone and oakley...and even dem fellahs was conservative dressers

You have a point about the bench brawls in baseball...HOWEVER you have to remember that the baseball and NFL fights are contained on the field
Them NBA boys spillin into the crowd and landiin in people lap all kinda wileness....besides the lawsuit dey will get in dey ass by somebody who might end up with a broken arm or something if it continues

Consider the fact that a lot of those front row seats are high paid season ticket holders...if de league start to alienate dem fellahs,,dey dogs dead..dais de bread and butter
If the seats not fillin...de merchandise aint sellin

They even trying to tone down the fights in hockey....make it more mainstream

Bottom line,, it affectin david stern and dem money$$$$$$$$

Once yuh 4kin wit ah man pocket...chit does get serious

I understand the economic motives behind the league's moves to deal with the situation.  I would even say that none of these particular set of fines/suspensions is really unfair.

My issue is with the 'climate' in the media.  When it comes to sports, issues are exactly as big as ESPN thinks they should be, and gullible fans just go along with it.  Barry Bonds doing steroids is a big deal.  Mark McGwire doing steroids is a small deal.  Sammy Sosa doing steroids?  well everybody likes Sammy Sosa so we don't talk about that.  Arguably the best defensive player in the NFL tests positive for steroids and he gets a measly 4 game suspension, that doesn't get mentioned either.

The mass media is very self-important and that self-importance is self-perpetuating.  Example: all the hoopla surrounding TO signing with the cowboys.  Everybody knows what the pros and cons of signing TO are, so if the Cowboys decide to bite the bullet and sign the man so be it.  If a story arises then fine, go ahead and report on it.  Instead the entire preseason espn have updates on how much of a distraction TO is.  what exactly does the distraction consist of?  well precisely that lots of reporters are camped out at the training camp reporting what a distraction TO is.

what you're saying about the danger to fans is, in a strict sense, accurate.  However commentary along that line is in a minority, at least from what I've caught of the coverage.  When it was made it came across as disingenuous.  You're just as likely to get injured by a man jumping into the stands to save a ball (which happens nightly) than by a bi-annual fight spilling into the stands for a few seconds before it gets broken up. 

You hit the nail on the head with the fact that people have problems dealing with the ice, braids and tats. All I'm saying is that as discerning fans people should be able to tell how much of the NBA's "image problem" is legitimate and how much of it is so because the mass media decided it should be so.  if there was a brawl in baseball the coverage would die down a lot faster and there would be a lot less vitriol towards the people involved.  Unless Pedro push down an old man again.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2006, 02:31:07 PM »

Arguably the best defensive player in the NFL tests positive for steroids and he gets a measly 4 game suspension, that doesn't get mentioned either.

what you're saying about the danger to fans is, in a strict sense, accurate.  However commentary along that line is in a minority, at least from what I've caught of the coverage.  When it was made it came across as disingenuous.  You're just as likely to get injured by a man jumping into the stands to save a ball (which happens nightly) than by a bi-annual fight spilling into the stands for a few seconds before it gets broken up. 

You hit the nail on the head with the fact that people have problems dealing with the ice, braids and tats. All I'm saying is that as discerning fans people should be able to tell how much of the NBA's "image problem" is legitimate and how much of it is so because the mass media decided it should be so.  if there was a brawl in baseball the coverage would die down a lot faster and there would be a lot less vitriol towards the people involved.  Unless Pedro push down an old man again.

Well truthfully, the NFL doh have no strict policy on steroid use in the nfl, like in other sports...so dem cyah make no noise about dat

I disagree with you there about diving for the ball and fighting in the stands...vast difference beetween wiping out a few people in the first row while trying not to injure yuhself ...and peltin some hard hand at your opponent and whatever fan close by will colleck some hurry cuff too
Keep in mind is not two roly poly fat man fighting

dem fellahs does average 250lbs ++..pure muscle and dey han hard...if a grandma in the third row collect ah elbow..is REAL stress fuh she..for months
I think d. stern an dem get very serious since ron artest actually chase down a paying customer....I not sayin de fellah was right.......but I cah recall and NFL or MLB game where a 'fan' actually get caught and collect some licks

as for pedro...he shouldnta push de ole man down.  :D  ...he coulda well step aside wit he quick reflexes and let de man make ah ass of he self
ah laugh...but he shouldnt have done dat
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 03:05:24 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2006, 04:08:26 PM »

Well truthfully, the NFL doh have no strict policy on steroid use in the nfl, like in other sports...so dem cyah make no noise about dat

the point I was making is precisely that there is no uproar about the leniency of the steroid policy.  whereas in baseball there was a huge uproar when the steroid policy was deemed to be too lenient.  not only that but most of the animousity in baseball is directed towards people that the media had previously deemed to be dislikable e.g. Bonds and Canseco.

I disagree with you there about diving for the ball and fighting in the stands...vast difference beetween wiping out a few people in the first row while trying not to injure yuhself ...and peltin some hard hand at your opponent and whatever fan close by will colleck some hurry cuff too
Keep in mind is not two roly poly fat man fighting

dem fellahs does average 250lbs ++..pure muscle and dey han hard...if a grandma in the third row collect ah elbow..is REAL stress fuh she..for months
I think d. stern an dem get very serious since ron artest actually chase down a paying customer....I not sayin de fellah was right.......but I cah recall and NFL or MLB game where a 'fan' actually get caught and collect some licks

I not trying to say that the probability of a fan getting injured in a brawl is the same as a fan getting injured by someone jumping into the stands.  Just that given the frequency with which these very large men throw themselves into the stands, if the main reason was protecting the fans and/or avoiding lawsuits, maybe they would consider pushing the seats back a few feet any way.  anyhow, maybe it wasn't the wisest angle for me to pursue.

Just basing this on my following of the saga (seeing the coverage the next morning on ESPN, listening to talk radio yesterday and this morning, reading articles online as well as in the NY papers, as well as a couple conversations with fellow sports fans on my campus) I definitely get the impression that people genuinely believe that the NBA is full of thugs to an extent that other leagues aren't.   Maybe I get unlucky in what coverage I happen to catch, but I ent hear but relatively few people are making the argument about keeping the fans safe.

Now, I eh saying dem men was right, but when avid baseball fans telling me that they can't watch the NBA because the players don't know how to conduct themselves, it doh really make any sense to me.  that's all.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2006, 04:21:12 PM »
Iverson traded to Denver

Iverson
The Denver Nuggets have reached an agreement in principle with the Philadelphia 76ers to acquire Allen Iverson, according to NBA front-office sources.

The trade, some two weeks after Iverson demanded a trade in Philly, would send Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 first-round picks to the Sixers for Iverson and perhaps another minimum-salaried player or two. It was expected to be completed later Tuesday, barring any snags, and sent to the league for approval.

The Sixers scheduled a 5:30 p.m. (EST) news conference on Tuesday, while the Nuggets planned to meet the press at 6 p.m. (EST).

The Sixers had been hoping to take back only expiring contracts in any Iverson deal, unless they were receiving a top-flight young player like Minnesota's Randy Foye or Shaun Livingston of the Los Angeles Clippers.

But with Philly and Denver struggling to find a third team to join in to make the deal more financially enticing for the Sixers, they decided to end an auction that began in earnest when Iverson's demand to be traded was confirmed by Sixers chairman Ed Snider on Dec. 8.

This deal will bring Philly a former league assist leader in Miller, Smith's expiring salary of nearly $7 million and those two first-round picks in June -- projected to be in the 20s -- to go with their own lottery pick. Miller is averaging 13 points and 9.1 assists per game -- third-best in the NBA -- while Smith, an 11-year veteran, has played little this season, averaging only 13.5 minutes and 5.1 points per game.

The Nuggets' interest in Iverson dates to last February and has only increased since the Sixers made him available to the whole league earlier this month. Their chief motivation is pairing Iverson with Anthony in coach George Karl's up-tempo attack, but acquiring Iverson now -- just a day after Anthony and J.R. Smith were suspended for 15 and 10 games, respectively, for their roles in Saturday night's fight with the New York Knicks -- gives a much-needed jolt to Denver's depleted roster.

Miller

Smith
Iverson won't be able to play with his former teammate from the 2004 U.S. Olympic squad until Anthony is reinstated for a Jan. 20 game at Houston.

Anthony and Iverson are currently the top two scorers in the league at 31.6 and 31.2 points per game, respectively. No two teammates have ever finished a season with both having averages over 30 points per game. Only twice have teammates finished 1-2 in the league scoring race, and the last time that happened was with the Nuggets. In the 1982-83 season, Alex English and Kiki Vandeweghe were 1-2. The 1954-55 Warriors had Neil Johnston at No. 1 and Paul Arizin at 2.

Miller, who led the NBA in assists with 10.9 per game for Cleveland in 2001-02, makes $8.7 million this season and has $19.2 million left on his contract over the following two seasons.

It's apparent, though, that the Sixers decided it was better to absorb Miller's contract now -- along with the opportunity to have three first-round selections in what scouts are calling the deepest draft in years -- as opposed to dragging out the Iverson saga further.

Iverson has been in exile for the past 11 days, languishing on the Sixers' inactive list while still accruing his per-game earnings of $156,218.

Iverson, 31, has a career 28.1 ppg scoring average in 11 NBA seasons, all in Philadelphia. He led the Sixers to the 2001 NBA Finals, where they lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games, but the team has seen little playoff success since.

He was Rookie of the year in 1997 and MVP in 2001. He has led the NBA in scoring four times, most recently in 2005, finishing in the league's top three every year since 1999, and twice led the league in steals

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2702501
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2006, 06:57:25 PM »
He go struggle in Denver ,with out training ,is ar good deal . But mello go have to share this might be problem .

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2006, 09:22:38 AM »
another double overtime win for the knicks.  knicks 6-6 in the month of december.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2006, 09:28:40 AM »
Ah kinda miss what EXACTLY it is iverson do this time to vex the owners

wuh he do?

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2006, 10:10:51 AM »
Ah kinda miss what EXACTLY it is iverson do this time to vex the owners

wuh he do?

well he was on tv last night; his side of the story is that he went to Billy King (team president) and he pointed out the facts that 1) they not playing his style of basketball and 2) they not even winning to justify it.  He say if that was to remain the situation he wanted out.  He claims never to have asked for a trade, but that is a matter of semantics I guess.

Snider(team owner) says that Billy King came to him and said that Iverson asked to be traded.  the organization decided they'd accomodate him.  That was the first time he'd ever asked to be traded and they didn't think it was worth having a disgruntled star on the books, so they tell him to stay home and they will trade him as soon as possible.       

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2006, 10:36:13 AM »
I tink Cheeks stab Allen in the back ,to save his job. Since is Allen wanted him too ,but they losing so he blame Iverson for practice.You telling me the former coach of the Portland Jailblazers ,stressed out over one star who brings 100% evernite ,for missing practice ,like cheeks could teach Allen anything ,Iverson is one of the greatest of all time !. Also Charles Barkley hate iverson ,and him and cheeks were teamates and friends ,all this is JMO but charles might have  part in this also .

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2006, 10:45:23 AM »
the man is 31 and he always have some nagging injuries,  the only reason to build around him is if he giving you a chance to win right now.   No sense being mediocre for the rest of his career and then terrible for a few years after that.

for whatever reason, the team hasn't been significantly better than mediocre since the year they make the finals. 

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2006, 11:58:52 AM »
the man is 31 and he always have some nagging injuries,  the only reason to build around him is if he giving you a chance to win right now.   No sense being mediocre for the rest of his career and then terrible for a few years after that.

for whatever reason, the team hasn't been significantly better than mediocre since the year they make the finals. 
injuries or not,AI is de toughest player it have in de nba.he win countless scoring titles over de years.he will definitly bring someting to de nuggets.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2006, 12:22:27 PM »

injuries or not,AI is de toughest player it have in de nba.he win countless scoring titles over de years.he will definitly bring someting to de nuggets.

true statement....people always question his off the court lifestyle and antics, but they fail to realize that you are guaranteed to get 100% from him in every game. Is he selfish? maybe, but Jordan and Kobe were just as selfish until Pippen and Shaq were brought in as side kicks. No one superstar can win a championship by himself, and the Phili organization is to blame because they did not bring in any noteworthy players to compliment Iverson's talents.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2006, 12:24:56 PM »

true statement....people always question his off the court lifestyle and antics, but they fail to realize that you are guaranteed to get 100% from him in every game. Is he selfish? maybe, but Jordan and Kobe were just as selfish until Pippen and Shaq were brought in as side kicks. No one superstar can win a championship by himself, and the Phili organization is to blame because they did not bring in any noteworthy players to compliment Iverson's talents.

Well said!!
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2006, 01:24:33 PM »

he will definitely bring something to the nuggets.  but from philly perspective is a trade they had to make.  the team not playing good, they was loaded with big contracts to players who not particularly young (AI, Webber, Dalembert, Kenny Thomas).  Of those big contracts AI had the only one people would be willing to take on.  now on top of all that, he wasn't happy to be there anymore.  As good as he is and as hard as he plays they had to deal with the reality: the team they had wasn't going any direction in particular.  They get an above average point guard and two first round draft picks in return.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2006, 03:01:53 PM »

he will definitely bring something to the nuggets.  but from philly perspective is a trade they had to make.  the team not playing good, they was loaded with big contracts to players who not particularly young (AI, Webber, Dalembert, Kenny Thomas).  Of those big contracts AI had the only one people would be willing to take on.  now on top of all that, he wasn't happy to be there anymore.  As good as he is and as hard as he plays they had to deal with the reality: the team they had wasn't going any direction in particular.  They get an above average point guard and two first round draft picks in return.

No matter how good you are (in any job) if yuh eh happy, yuh not going tuh perform at yuh bes...so de trade should be good fuh everybody in the long run.  Sometimes things need to shake up ah lil bit. Is like ah drink dat settle too long, yuh have tuh shake it up fuh de flavour to come back.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2006, 12:34:38 PM »
he makin he debut tonite against de kings so lewwe see.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2006, 09:50:05 PM »
3 in a row for the knicks.  1 game above .500 for the month of december if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2006, 10:24:28 PM »
Good going Daryn ,u guys almost catching up on us  ;D
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2006, 11:06:15 PM »
Good going Daryn ,u guys almost catching up on us ;D

I did'nt know there was a race to see who not making the play-offs  ;D
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2006, 10:34:10 PM »
Good going Daryn ,u guys almost catching up on us  ;D

haha, now we had a setback again tonight.  bad timing too, tough game against detroit then a small road trip ahead.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
sixers allegedly agree to buy out chris webber's contract
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »
 PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) -- Forward Chris Webber may have played his last game with the Philadelphia 76ers.

The Philadelphia Daily News is reporting that Webber and the 76ers have agreed on the terms of a buyout for the remainder of his contract.

The reported deal would provide the Sixers with some salary cap and luxury tax relief and comes on the heels of the blockbuster trade that sent superstar guard Allen Iverson to the Denver Nuggets for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two first-round picks.

The 76ers (9-25) have the worst record in the Eastern Conference.

Webber, who turns 34 in March, is listed on the team's salary cap at $20.7 million this season and $22.3 million in 2007-08.

A five-time All-Star, Webber has been limited to 18 games this season due to ankle and foot problems and is averaging 11.0 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists. He has not played in 10 of the team's last 13 games, including Tuesday's 98-89 loss to the Detroit Pistons.

Acquired from the Sacramento Kings in February 2005, Webber averaged 20.2 points, 9.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 75 games last season with the Sixers. It marked the most games Webber played since 1999-2000, when he also appeared in 75 games with the Kings.

The 6-10 Webber was selected by Orlando with the No. 1 overall pick in the 1993 draft and traded to Golden State. He spent four seasons with the Warriors, four with Washington and six-plus campaigns with Sacramento and entered the 2006-07 season with career averages of 21.6 points, 10.4 rebounds and 4.4 assists.

© 2007 SportsTicker Enterprises, LP

1]; } ?>