April 29, 2024, 10:17:21 AM

Author Topic: Greed vs Governance  (Read 938 times)

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Greed vs Governance
« on: October 11, 2006, 11:08:17 PM »
http://www.kenyafootball.com/index.php?doc=story&id=637&categ=2

Excerpt from an article by Bob Munro on how Kenya dealt with corruption in sport

Greed vs Good Governance

By: Bob Munro

Greed vs Good Governance

The fight for corruption-free football in Kenya

Bob Munro

The poor majority and corrupt minority in Kenya

"What can this conference aim at doing about corruption in sport?

Out there on the frontlines in the fight against corruption in sport, it can get rather lonely and discouraging. So I will conclude with a few suggestions on what this conference can aim at doing about corruption in sport.

1. Endorse a strict 'zero tolerance' policy against all forms of corruption in sport.

2. Expand the Play-the-Game international news service for exposing corruption in sport.

3. Establish annual awards for the best investigative journalism on corruption in sport.

4. Strengthen the Play-the-Game international networks for linking and supporting those fighting against corruption in sport.

5. Develop a series of key indicators for use in national and international surveys on the scope, scale and negative impacts of corruption in sport.

6. Establish annual awards for honouring those fighting against corruption in sport and for shaming the villains (e.g. a Hall of Fame and a Hall of Shame).

7. Prepare and publicize a 'Corruption-Free Sports Code' for adoption and implementation by national and international sports organizations (e.g. FIFA Fairplay Code).

8. Create an international capacity for monitoring, assessing and reporting on compliance with the 'Corruption-Free Sports Code'.

9. Involve former and current top athletes in different sports in an international coalition for corruption-free sport (e.g. members of the World Sports Academy).

Stealing the future of our youth and sport

When fighting against corruption in sport there are many times, especially after being unfairly attacked yet again in the media, when you get tired and tempted like the candidate during a bitter election campaign who made this proposal for a cease-fire: "If my opponent agrees to stop telling lies about me, then I promise to stop telling the truth about him."

Despite the unfair personal attacks on your motives and character, the recurring temptation to abandon the match must be resisted. Among the less nasty names your opponents will hurl at you is the accusation that you are too "stubborn" and too "unreasonable". When they say that, don't get sad or offended. That simply means they are finally taking you seriously.

When accused of being "unreasonable", be reassured and take comfort in the wisdom of an anonymous member of the Society for Protecting the Rights of Unreasonable People who said: "Reasonable people try to change themselves and adapt to the world. Unreasonable people try to change the world. That is why human progress depends on unreasonable people."

After years of struggle against corruption in Kenyan football, it is a great relief to attend this conference. Jens Andersen and his exceptionally hardworking team deserve our thanks for their persistence in finding and bringing together so many good and unreasonable people from around the world.

I will conclude with this parting thought. When facing unsporting attacks and tempted to abandon the fight against corruption in sport, remember that corrupt officials are not just stealing money and other undeserved benefits. They are also stealing the future of our youth, the future of our athletes and the future of our sport.

That is why no one should stay on the sidelines or remain seated in the stands. That is why the fight for corruption-free sport must never stop."

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Greed vs Governance
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 11:12:27 PM »
sooo when TnT Warrior Nation getting one ah dese conferences? ;)

it is the END of the road for some of our friends in the TTFF I would imagine
dont leh de door hit you on ya @$$ as you leave eh

i love dis part of the story on de website
"Not used to being movie stars, the referees became far more cautious and correct. But we had a dark secret. What the referees didn't know and never discovered was that the camera was broken. That camera never worked but the technique did. In 1998 Mathare United earned more points from away matches and won promotion to the Premier League."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 11:42:22 PM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>