April 26, 2024, 02:35:17 PM

Author Topic: Klinsmann talking with U.S. Soccer  (Read 3216 times)

truetrini

Klinsmann talking with U.S. Soccer
« on: October 26, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »
Klinsmann talking with U.S. Soccer
Story Tools:       
  Print    Email    Blog This   
Associated Press
Posted: 1 hour ago     

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Former Germany coach Juergen Klinsmann is in informal talks with the U.S. Soccer Federation that could lead to him taking over as coach of the United States.

Klinsmann, who coached Germany to a surprising berth in the World Cup semifinals this summer, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview on Thursday that he's been speaking with USSF president Sunil Gulati.
U.S. Soccer in the spotlight

"We've had a couple of conversations. I'm evaluating everything that comes up," Klinsmann said. "I'll stay in touch with Sunil and see what it leads to. It's a very casual and relaxed correspondence."

Klinsmann resigned as Germany coach three days after the tournament, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family. He lives in Los Angeles with his American-born wife and is regarded by many as the favorite to replace Bruce Arena, who was told by Gulati in mid-July that his contract would not be renewed.

"Sooner or later, I have to get back into coaching," Klinsmann said.

Gulati, who has refused to comment on his talks with any potential replacement, repeated on Thursday that he hopes to have a new coach in place by the end of the year.

Klinsmann is a close friend of Arena's and attended some U.S. practices when the players worked out in California. He said there isn't any timetable on his talks with Gulati.

"Obviously, those are discussions that will continue, and we'll see where they lead," he said.

In announcing Arena's departure, Gulati said his successor should have "some knowledge of American soccer, experience, leadership, a track record of success."

"Does Juergen Klinsmann have those qualities? He probably does," Gulati said then. "He's had success with the German team; he has a much better handle on the American soccer scene than someone who hasn't spent time here; he's inquisitive. He's an intelligent guy, multilingual with a lot of very positive qualities."

The 42-year-old Klinsmann's stint in charge of Germany opened him up to considerable criticism for his decision to commute from California. But those complaints dissipated as the World Cup host advanced to the semifinals before losing to Italy, the eventual champion.

"I've lived in this country for eight years now, so I've followed soccer development in the United States," he said. "It's definitely a very different situation in this country. Obviously, the approach here in the U.S. would be a totally different one. The player-development aspect is a huge aspect."

After advancing to the World Cup quarterfinals in 2002, its best showing since the initial tournament in 1930, the United States was knocked out in the first round this year. The Americans lost to the Czech Republic 3-0, drew Italy 1-1 and lost to Ghana 2-1.

Klinsmann was a star forward for Germany, playing in the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups and scoring 11 goals, tied for fifth in the history of the tournament. He was a member of Germany's victorious 1990 World Cup and 1996 European Championship teams, and he scored 47 goals in 108 internationals.

At the club level, he played for Stuttgarter Kickers, VfB Stuttgart, Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, Sampdoria, AS Monaco, and Tottenham Hotspur.

---

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Klinsmann talking with U.S. Soccer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:36:54 PM »
He knowhe wantthe wuk.He livin in the Us. All the style he making.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 09:41:39 PM »
"I've lived in this country for eight years now, so I've followed soccer development in the United States," he said. "It's definitely a very different situation in this country. Obviously, the approach here in the U.S. would be a totally different one. The player-development aspect is a huge aspect."

Interesting..and what is Wim's philosophy?

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:47:07 PM »

"I'm not here to do any player development, thats the job of the local coaches, i'm gonna sit back take in the sun and take de locals money".......ent?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:20:30 PM by Patterson »

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 09:50:41 PM »
I dunce, ask TI, me eh know if dat is true, but from his words it sound so to me.  And while partly correct, he needs to step up and do the development as that is his portfolio as outlined by the TTFF!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 09:59:18 PM »
Hmm. The US would begin to really assert itself now. His knowledge and the US resources and modus operandi spells a shift in world football.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 10:15:08 PM »

"I'm not here to do any player development, thats the job of the local coaches, i'm gonna sit back take in the sun and take de locals money".......ent?

Is klinnsman going to do player development in the US? DID BRUCE Arena do that .. player deals with grass roots level  .. .. and club not at national .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:20:42 PM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 10:18:17 PM »

"I'm not here to do any player development, thats the job of the local coaches, i'm gonna sit back take in the sun and take de locals money".......ent?

Is klinnsman going to do player development in the US? DID BRUCE Arena do that YOU GUY HAVE TO BE JOKERS.. player development is youth soccer...

ok fella yuh right I am a joker and Jack Warner yuh god is borse...remember I dunce, and I is de one who appoint Wim in charge ah all aspects of T&T football.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:24:23 PM »

Is klinnsman going to do player development in the US? DID BRUCE Arena do that YOU GUY HAVE TO BE JOKERS.. player development is youth soccer...

ok fella yuh right I am a joker and Jack Warner yuh god is borse...remember I dunce, and I is de one who appoint Wim in charge ah all aspects of T&T football.

so wha if he appoint wim in all aspects  for player to develop well you need proper coaching AT YOUTH LEVEL  talk done ..  ... wim and them say they going to be holidng sessions at least once ah week for senior players...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 10:26:42 PM »
OK BREDS..AH f**kING SAY TAKE WIM....AH MEAN WIN....SHIT!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 10:33:57 PM »
What do we understand by 'player development'? Wholesale manufacture of new players in the pipeline or finessing a handful of players?

Time constraints are a big factor influencing whether player development on any meaningful scale is feasible. Beyond that technical directors may lack the medium to long term vision that the federation rightly should possess.

Honestly, is Hiddink in Russia doing player development? Meanwhile, Putin and others are lamenting the decline of local talent. You work with what you've got. I think that's what he did with the Aussies, although with the Koreans he may have finessed a handful.

Part of the equation in choosing a TD has to be honed to this - if that's your situation. Let's take the case of Jamaica's recent TD search.

Bora is not IMV a player development guy, but Jose Pekerman may have branded this part of his portfolio if he took the job.

It all depends.

We in the developing football nations have to balance the cost-benefit thing right down to the wire because we're starting from a completely different point of departure in terms of the long agenda involved in making it to any WC. And, this is why resort has been had to searching the diaspora.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 11:06:45 PM »
What do we understand by 'player development'? Wholesale manufacture of new players in the pipeline or finessing a handful of players?

Time constraints are a big factor influencing whether player development on any meaningful scale is feasible. Beyond that technical directors may lack the medium to long term vision that the federation rightly should possess.

Honestly, is Hiddink in Russia doing player development? Meanwhile, Putin and others are lamenting the decline of local talent. You work with what you've got. I think that's what he did with the Aussies, although with the Koreans he may have finessed a handful.

Part of the equation in choosing a TD has to be honed to this - if that's your situation. Let's take the case of Jamaica's recent TD search.

Bora is not IMV a player development guy, but Jose Pekerman may have branded this part of his portfolio if he took the job.

It all depends.

We in the developing football nations have to balance the cost-benefit thing right down to the wire because we're starting from a completely different point of departure in terms of the long agenda involved in making it to any WC. And, this is why resort has been had to searching the diaspora.

It should be noted that he had the benefit of the majority of his squad playing domestically. This made it easier for the Korean fed to organise a long term camp where the players trained together for months.

I don't think that player development should come from the national coach. In a way the work he does is supposed to develop players anyway but realistcally a National coach generally has a group of players assembled for 3 days to 1 week (If there are 2 games). I don't think thats enough time.

In the case of a domestic team in training a similar problem emerges. These players have club commitments as well. They will have to work hard to find a solution that works for all parties.

Player development is supposed to come from the clubs not the National coach.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 08:35:15 AM »
The US will make it at least to the semis in 2010 !! :devil:
Warrior For Life !!

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 11:56:04 AM »
 i am un decided as to whether wim is correct or not in his decision to stay away from player development, i doubt that is in fact what he said. in a country like ours he will not be able to coach even at national level without finding players lacking the fundementals of the game; both in terms of skill and understanding,however what i do know is that player development should take place from a very young age the national coach should have to concentrate on tactics and selection not skill acquisition and terchinique . again it all comes back to putting systems in place berti vogts lamented the fact that he as german coach had to teach national players the basics, and alerted the german federation that they had to adjust their systems to ensure players at that level possessed the fundamental skill and techinique.i think wim will find like berti he will have to do some basic work with the players.i always maintain we  need some one like rene simoes who is a teacher of the game and looks at the total development of the game and players on the island un fortunately the majority of international coaches do not share such ideals ,in choosing  a coach for a country all these things should be looked at not just the quality of the coach, but his philosophy and how that fits in with the needs of your nation. in that respect even beenhacker as much as i appreciate what he did for trinidad and tobago was not the perfect choice for the job he was the choice for making the world cup, that is the question do we just want to make the world cup or do we want to develop our football.

Offline QRC_boy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:26 PM »
As a past player at the secondary school level, in university in the US and at professional level I can only offer my little opinion.

First off I agree with Wim in that he should not be into player development at the National level. Is a sixth form math teacher expected to teach people in their class how to do long division? NO!!! What we should be doing is looking at the local clubs both Pro and ametuer and provide some assistance to them. See our "problem" ( and I am not picking on the administration for this ) is that we have chiefs with too many feather in their cap....You should have a technical director, a coach, a general manager, a local scouting network etc...but what we have is the same guy doing three and four jobs.

Look at other countries say for example England or Spain...you telling me they all know how to play a 4-4-2 or that all of their club teams play teh same system...odds are no but they know how to play in different systems. What we need in Trinidad which will help in the future and make it easier is if there is a plan created to organise training of footballers. That the players are trained in everything from being able to pass a ball to controlling it when played to and not just kicking the ball and if it reach it reach.

That in turn makes it much easier for national team coaches to actually be able to spend more time on tactics rather than now trying to teach guys how to cross a ball. how to "trap" a ball etc. With the way things are set up what does a national coach do between world cups, or regional "national" competitions. They don't take time off they are studying opponents etc.

I remember when i was in Saints and Trinity had a nuts man coaching their team and they used to get their tail cut!!!! But ketch my drift you have fellas that sweat First XI years ago and was "star" and so they get hire to come back and coach the school. They dont know how to really coach, so a practice is a sweat mainly.

Improve the quality of youth players from under 14 and then the senior team will succeed. Why you thing Arena try and concede....is not cause it bad but bc youth development in US good but too much much politics..It depends on the club you play with who you know that helps you progress up and so not the best players make it thru....

Soon soon Trinidad go improve.. I believe when Jack goes that some fresh air will get in TTFF and they go improve.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 01:25:28 PM »

good question, i asked this same question and stated this as something de whip should be doing, man bawl and argue wit meh and fight meh down for suggesting this and saying de whip should do dis, boss question tt :beermug:

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 03:47:32 PM »
As a past player at the secondary school level, in university in the US and at professional level I can only offer my little opinion.

First off I agree with Wim in that he should not be into player development at the National level. Is a sixth form math teacher expected to teach people in their class how to do long division? NO!!! What we should be doing is looking at the local clubs both Pro and ametuer and provide some assistance to them. See our "problem" ( and I am not picking on the administration for this ) is that we have chiefs with too many feather in their cap....You should have a technical director, a coach, a general manager, a local scouting network etc...but what we have is the same guy doing three and four jobs.

Look at other countries say for example England or Spain...you telling me they all know how to play a 4-4-2 or that all of their club teams play teh same system...odds are no but they know how to play in different systems. What we need in Trinidad which will help in the future and make it easier is if there is a plan created to organise training of footballers. That the players are trained in everything from being able to pass a ball to controlling it when played to and not just kicking the ball and if it reach it reach.

That in turn makes it much easier for national team coaches to actually be able to spend more time on tactics rather than now trying to teach guys how to cross a ball. how to "trap" a ball etc. With the way things are set up what does a national coach do between world cups, or regional "national" competitions. They don't take time off they are studying opponents etc.

I remember when i was in Saints and Trinity had a nuts man coaching their team and they used to get their tail cut!!!! But ketch my drift you have fellas that sweat First XI years ago and was "star" and so they get hire to come back and coach the school. They dont know how to really coach, so a practice is a sweat mainly.

Improve the quality of youth players from under 14 and then the senior team will succeed. Why you thing Arena try and concede....is not cause it bad but bc youth development in US good but too much much politics..It depends on the club you play with who you know that helps you progress up and so not the best players make it thru....

Soon soon Trinidad go improve.. I believe when Jack goes that some fresh air will get in TTFF and they go improve.

if Trinidad will improve..so wha go happen tuh de football in Tobago?

1]; } ?>