March 28, 2024, 12:03:22 PM

Author Topic: TT youth team 1966  (Read 12792 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
TT youth team 1966
« on: October 14, 2006, 03:46:49 PM »
Can you guys name anybody in this photo?

I think that's Gally kneeling second from right in the front..

VB
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:35:19 PM by E-man »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TT youth team 1966
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 07:48:26 PM »
The tallman sitting is lincoln phillips,bobby sookram is in the middle with the slick back hair cut,he's just above gally,It look like warren archibald standing just in front of the white dude in the beige suit he's at the bottom left hand side,the man stooping next to gally on the bottom right hand side is victor gamaldo,and the rest ah to brain dead to remember...........

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 04:05:04 AM »
 Kenny Joseph second row , the guy whose emblem on his blazer most exposed, the redman in the middle look like Leon Carpett

VB where yuh find dat pic boss ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 07:21:15 AM »
Give Flex credit, ah see it on his site.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 07:27:46 AM »
how much that jamaican team get btw . was it dey senior team we played
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 11:12:32 AM »
Second from left(in the back) is Leroy Deleon and i think the white boy in the middle is Henry Quanvie,i can only see half the picture.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 11:22:25 AM »
Second from left(in the back) is Leroy Deleon and i think the white boy in the middle is Henry Quanvie,i can only see half the picture.

U wasn't on dat team dey Coop's?  ;)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 06:30:20 AM »
You guys too young to know this team;.....
Lincoln Phillips...Victor Gomaldo these men too  too OLD for this team (They working already)...

I have to get with Allan Cupid for the the correct names but ......

Back row: De leon; Cupid (shades)... first keeper in T'dad to wear a cap for the sun;??;
red man -Jackson (Fatima); Tony Martin (QRC); Bain (keeper QRC); Garnett Harris (QRC);

Middle row: Coach Bronner; Arhcibald; Earle Fough (Fatima); Roger Duprey (Fatima); Anthony Smart (CIC); Ellis Sadaphal (QRC); ??;Team manager(??)

Front Row: ??;Stedman-??;Gally:??
The players whose school was not mentioned all were from Benedicts'

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 08:55:58 AM »

Bred's i never played Colleges Football, i went to John D but at that time those schools did not play in the League,by the way sorry for my mistake with Quanvie,dtool you did a very good job of identifying those guys all were quality players.   

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 09:04:50 AM »
You guys too young to know this team;.....
Lincoln Phillips...Victor Gomaldo these men too  too OLD for this team (They working already)...

I have to get with Allan Cupid for the the correct names but ......

Back row: De leon; Cupid (shades)... first keeper in T'dad to wear a cap for the sun;??;
red man -Jackson (Fatima); Tony Martin (QRC); Bain (keeper QRC); Garnett Harris (QRC);

Middle row: Coach Bronner; Arhcibald; Earle Fough (Fatima); Roger Duprey (Fatima); Anthony Smart (CIC); Ellis Sadaphal (QRC); ??;Team manager(??)

Front Row: ??;Stedman-??;Gally:??
The players whose school was not mentioned all were from Benedicts'

Ah pretty sure the man standing in front of Garnet is Kenny Joseph.
Ah losing it, should have recognised Garnet , played hockey with him in Malvern and he coached me for a time when ah was in QRC. Right now he is an area sales supervisor for carib.
Didn't Ian also play youth football for Trinidad ?

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 11:01:35 AM »
I don't think Ian played youth football for T&T, but I'll ask him and see. What about Rolph Clarke? Wasn't he a T&T youth player?

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 08:22:03 AM »
Ah losing it, should have recognised Garnet , played hockey with him in Malvern and he coached me for a time when ah was in QRC. Right now he is an area sales supervisor for carib.
I finally asked him and he said no. He did train with the youth team that was preparing to play against Brazil, but that's about it.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 08:29:54 AM »

Bred's i never played Colleges Football, i went to John D but at that time those schools did not play in the League,by the way sorry for my mistake with Quanvie,dtool you did a very good job of identifying those guys all were quality players.   

My bad.  I thought it was a National Youth team...not a Colleges League squad.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 08:30:29 AM »
I finally asked him and he said no. He did train with the youth team that was preparing to play against Brazil, but that's about it.

Fair enough, just thought that might have been the case because the Harris bros are a real talented bunch I suppose Willard being the least.
Not sure about Rolph Clarke but yuh reeling out some rell names from back in times.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 12:55:34 PM »
Rolph's son and I played hockey for Malvern for a bit. The athletic talent was more with Ian and Garnet in terms of achievement, although I heard Willard was a tough rugby player. Rolph is a well respected football man around 52 in St. James.  :)

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 02:43:35 PM »
http://www.socawarriors.net/1966%20youth%20team.jpg

Some updates on the names of these players.

Back row- Leroy Deleon,  Reuben?, Devines, Tony Martin, Jimmy Springer?, and Garnet Harris

Middle Row- Americo Brunner(Coach),Alan Cupid,Roger Duprey, Wayne Smart, Ellis Sadaphal, Kenny Joseph, Manager?

Front row- Tiny Archibald, Earl Fough,Dick Furlonge, Jan Steadman, Everald Cummings, Brian Bain (goalkeeper)

Rolph Clarke was a year or two following these guys he was a boss midfielder, another rare talent .
(BTW, Rolph, Tesheira, Garnet,and Lennard Lewis all played for St. James Sec I believe before going to QRC, CIC etc.)
Thanks C.S and M.D

Real Boss team. :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 12:33:59 AM by takenoprisoners »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 09:21:54 PM »
http://www.socawarriors.net/1966%20youth%20team.jpg

Some updates on the names of these players.

Back row- Leroy Deleon, Alan Cupid, Wilfred Cave?, Devines, Tony Martin, Jimmy Springer?, and Garnet Harris

Middle Row- Amerigo Brunner(Coach),Tiny Archibald, Earl Fough( Fatima ), Roger Duprey, Wayne Smart, Ellis Sadaphal, Kenny Joseph, Manager?

Front row- Dick Furlonge, Jan Steadman, Everald Cummings, Brian Bain (goalkeeper)

Rolph Clarke was a year or two following these guys he was a boss midfielder, another rare talent .
(BTW, Rolph, Tesheira, Garnet,and Lennard Lewis all played for St. James Sec I believe before going to QRC, CIC etc.)
Anybody remember if Rondon played on this team? I kept looking for him but couldn't find him.
Thanks C.S and M.D

Real Boss team. :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

No Rondon or Cave in that photo. They came afterwards.

I dare state that that team would easily give the current Soca Warriors 5 on the trot.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 08:40:07 PM »

Jamaica Gleaner, 8 Feb 1966

Visitors Team Includes Four National Players
Stern Test For K.C. Tonight
Schoolboy Champions Take On Trinidad All-Colleges At 8.00

THE Kingston College soccer team which romped to victory in the Manning Cup and Olivier Shield competitions last year face their sternest test ever tonight at the National Stadium.

They meet the Trinidad All-Colleges team with four National players at 8.00 in the opening match of a tour sponsored by the Jamaica Mutual Life Assurance Society and promoted by the Kingston College Old Boys Association.

Although schoolboy competitions ended several months ago all but two of the Kingston College team have been playing regular competitive soccer in Senior competitions.

And it is the members of Cavaliers the leading Division 1 club in the island — Lloyd McLean, Neville Oxford and Franklyn Morant who hold the key to the outcome of the match tonight.

McLean, a Jamaica representative in the World Cup competition is a seasoned player and invariably reserves his best performances for visiting teams. The short, stocky player is the best inside left in the island—tirelessly attacking, defending, passing and shooting.

Outside right Neville Oxford is the explosive type of player who can win a match with one electrifying run and a single devastating shot. If given even a little room to move about Oxford's runs down the wing could bring the Trinidad defence to grief.

Morant the KC centre half tackles a bit too quickly at times but if he settles down tonight the star-studded Trinidad front line will have trouble in passing.

Three other KC boys — members of Railway will also be dangerous to Trinidad. Trevor Harris the centre forward who kicks accurately with both feet. Mickey Vernon the constructive and tireless wing half and Dennis Johnson at right back, quick, intelligent and seemingly omni-present.

Wonder boy

But the Trinidad coach Americo Brunner is confident that he has the formula to solve any problem KC are likely to present. Key man in the formula is 17-year-old "wonderboy" of Trinidad soccer Everald Cummings who the experts have hailed and soccer fans dubbed "Young Pele".

Selected to play for Trinidad at 16, Everald toured Jamaica last year with the Trinidad team which was soundly whipped by Jamaica at the National Stadium but he has matured considerably since then. The clever inside right played with the National team against the Brazilians on their recent tour.

Kenney Joseph the fast, powerful centre forward whose shot is his main asset is also a representative of the National team. Joseph the bustling type can give any defence a lot of worry.

But the men whose performances might excell even Cummings is outside left Warren Archibald who performed creditably against the Brazilians for Trinidad. His football it is said at times reaches a high degree of subtlety and imagination.

Half back Earle Fough is yet another member of the Trinidad National team, his forte is energy and constructive play.

Value Of Football As A Discipline For The Mind Stressed By GG

THE value of football as a discipline for the mind was stressed by the Governor General yesterday morning.

Sir Clifford was speaking to members at the Trinidad All- Colleges football team when they visited Kings House as part of their touring schedule.

"The ability to control flaring tempers on the field of play, to accept victory as well defeat is an important part of life and can make you a man" the Governor General said.

"There are lessons to be learned in defeat" Sir Clifford said and with a smile continued "if the Trinidad team - is accustomed to winning then they might learn something in Jamaica by losing."

Sir Clifford then went on to wish success for the best team and expressed his regret at having to miss the matches "as he was pressed with preparations for the Queen's visit."

The Rev. Don Basil Maxwell, president of the Trinidad Football Association and manager of the team said he had read about Sir Clifford's involvement in sports and he said it was one of the reasons for the progress of sports in Jamaica.

'Profits Will Be Used For Improvement Of Soccer'

THE profits from the matches played by the Trinidad Football team in Jamaica will be used for the improvement of football in Jamaica. This was stated yesterday afternoon at the Myrtle Bank Hotel by Mr. Owen James a director of the Jamaica Mutual Life Assurance Society, at a buffet luncheon put on by the organizing committee of the tour.

Mr. James in his speech said the Trinidad tour of Jamaica was likely to be an annual event as his company who are sponsors of the tour, had donated a cup. The Jamaica Mutual Life Assurance Society Cup to be competed for by the schoolboys of Trinidad and Jamaica annually.

Jamaica Gleaner, 13 Feb 1966

Sports Editor's Diary
By: L.D. Roberts

Jamaica's Football

IT IS NOT YET time for Jamaica to feel satisfied about the standard of our football. The Kingston College team and then the Under-19 squad defeated the Trinidad All-Colleges 2-1 on Tuesday and Thursday nights last week, but the visitors were not outclassed, and indeed were unlucky to lose to the Under 19s. Last night the Trinidadians avenged the first night defeat by K.C. with a well merited victory. This shows that the standard of our Schoolboy football is not as good as so many people seem to think.

In the first match, the visitors playing on the Stadium ground for the first time, were outplayed by K.C., but in the second game obviously now more at home the Trinidadians did creditably well.

It is true that the Under-19 team played without three of our top teenaged footballers, Lloyd McLean, David Sanrulnetti and Delroy Scott, who have all represented the island in the World Cup and so are not eligible for the Juvenile soccer championships set for Trinidad in March. But nevertheless we are not as far ahead of the other Caribbean countries as many have been thinking recently.

The Trinidadians played the old style WM formation while we used the more modern 4-2-4, but individually they have players as fine as we have. Everald Cummings, the hardworking inside left, not only carries the ball well but also he packs a dangerous right foot shot and Kenny Josephs their bustling inside right was always dangerous.

Although the Trinidadian forwards used the ball well and the defence tackled hard I thought that in the employment of the short pass when necessary our defence was superior, theirs tended to use the lone clearance at all times.

The Jamaicans are a better-trained team and if any superiority exists this is where it lies because individually the Trinidadians were as good as we were.

Trinidadians Edge KC 3-2

The Trinidad All-Colleges Football team had their first victory in their three-match series in Jamaica last night when they edged Kingston College 3-2 in their return match at the National Stadium. This was the final match of the tour.

At half time the K.C. boys led 1-0 with an early goal from centreforward Trevor Harris. Early in the second centreforward Kenny Josephs gave the Trinidadians the equalizer.

K.C. soon went ahead again when an Oxford movement ended with Harris scoring his second.

Outside left Ellis Sadaphal soon got the equalizer from a melee. Inside right Everald Cummings scored the deciding goal one minute before the end.

A part of the Trinidad squad are scheduled to leave this afternoon, the rest will leave on Tuesday.

Bacchanal with Coach Brunner and return leg to Trinidad stories to follow...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:01:05 AM by E-man »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 10:33:03 PM »
Soccer Storm In Trinidad As Brunner Leaves

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad, May 7 [1966] (AP):

CLAIMS OF breach of contract and accusations that officialdom is not doing anything to football in Trinidad were hurled at each other by Trinidad Football Association President Dom Basil Matthews and Hungarian-born coach Americo Brunner in statements here today as Brunner left his job as Trinidad National Coach.

He flew home to Brazil after an eight-month-running battle with local football administrators.

Brunner, who has been associated with the World Cup winning Brazilian team, declared that he terminated his contract on Tuesday after Trinidad officials by-passed him and chose a local coach to manage the team, now playing in Barbados.

"The selection of Conrad Brathwaite as coach for the team in Barbados was the last straw. It was ridiculous. As national coach I knew nothing about it until I read it in the newspapers," he said.

Brunner, 58, said he told Dom Basil Matthews on Tuesday that he intended to break his contract because he always found himself working under difficult conditions.

He said Matthews seemed to want to rule everything.

"After all these years the Trinidad Football Association (of which Matthews is also head) has done nothing for the game. It hasn't it's own football field or grandstand," he alleged.

"This is bad. The association is making money but what use is it putting it to?"

Brunner added that the standard of Trinidad football, already very low, would remain that way until its authorities decided to do something about it.

Matthews in an embargoed statement given to the newspapers earlier in the week with the request that it should be published on the day of Brunner's departure, stated that Brunner had refused the execute the national coaching programme in accordance with the instructions and directions of a competent authority, the Trinidad Football Association. This, he said, constituted a serious breach of contract.

"In these circumstances, I am obliged to terminate your contract immediately," Matthews told Brunner.

Brunner, however, alleges that the national coaching programme was not properly organized.

Trinidad Win Soccer Tourney

PORT OF SPAIN, Dec. 17 [1966] (Reuters):

THE TRINIDAD Colleges team won the Barclays Soccer Trophy when they beat Jamaica Colleges 3-2 at Skinner Park, South Trinidad.

They had earlier won the first representative game in the three-match series.

Trinidad led 3-1 at half-time, after two goals by Everald Cummings and one by Tony Cave, while Neville Oxford scored for Jamaica.

In the second half Oxford scored with a penalty and the Trinidad defence was pressed by the Jamaicans for long periods, but managed to hold out for victory.

The Trinidad selectors have invited 25 players to attend training before naming the 17-man team to contest the preliminary round of the North, Central American and Caribbean Championship series in Jamaica from January 11 to 23.

Trinidad will compete against Haiti, the Netherland Antilles, Cuba and Jamaica in the Caribbean Zone hoping to qualify for the grand finals in Honduras in March.

Trinidad Football secretary Eric James flies to Jamaica on January 7, two days ahead of the main party.

Six College boys are included in the 25 players called for the training.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:35:24 PM by E-man »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 12:08:48 AM »
We want More !!!!!!!

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »
We want More !!!!!!!

I second dat!!! Interesting history.

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »
Ditto

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 01:58:26 PM »
[.

Brunner, 58, said he told Dom Basil Matthews on Tuesday that he intended to break his contract because he always found himself working under difficult conditions.

He said Matthews seemed to want to rule everything.

"After all these years the Trinidad Football Association (of which Matthews is also head) has done nothing for the game. It hasn't it's own football field or grandstand," he alleged.

"This is bad. The association is making money but what use is it putting it to?"

Brunner added that the standard of Trinidad football, already very low, would remain that way until its authorities decided to do something about it.

Seems like the more we change the more we remain the same ....

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 02:19:12 PM »
yuh see why ah like meh forum....when yuh get frustarted/fed-up wid the way things are/going....yuh get a little respite wid dis lil journey down memory lane....give thanks allyuh, from de original poster, to all de men who give dey input/insights :beermug:
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 04:34:15 PM »

Can we get the names of the 25 players that were called up?

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 09:04:54 AM »

Final update from Allan Cupid

Back row- Leroy Deleon, Peter Bernard, Wayne Jackson, Tony Martin, Brendan Bain, and Garnet Harris
Middle Row- Americo Brunner(Coach), Allan Cupid, Roger Duprey, Wayne Smart, Ellis Sadaphal, Kenny Joseph, David Traboulay (Manager)
Front row- Warren Archibald, Earl Fough, Dick Furlonge,  Jan Steadman,  Everald Cummings, Bede Wells

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
Nice work, dtool! Names are now in order.

Where is Allan Cupid these days? Is he still playing ball?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 02:19:22 PM »

Final update from Allan Cupid

Back row- Leroy Deleon, Peter Bernard, Wayne Jackson, Tony Martin, Brendan Bain, and Garnet Harris
Middle Row- Americo Brunner(Coach), Allan Cupid, Roger Duprey, Wayne Smart, Ellis Sadaphal, Kenny Joseph, David Traboulay (Manager)
Front row- Warren Archibald, Earl Fough, Dick Furlonge,  Jan Steadman,  Everald Cummings, Bede Wells

Thanks for the update!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »
Funny enough, in past youth teams were basically schoolboys teams. And mainly from the prominent HS/Colleges. I think for the 74 Concacaf tournament, TTFA started to do more extensive search for players. The various zones started to look for players outside the College league div 1 teams.

Earl Carter(St. Bede/St.John Rd Tunapuna), Johnaton Wills, Sydney Shade, Trevor Rudd(youth camps. Chatam??), Sati Boodhoo, Reyes(forgot first name) (Arima Sec ?), Derek Lewis(Diego Sec.), Richard Chinapoo(Trinity Moka), John Granville(Bishop's, Tobago). Kendall Walkes(Progressive). Sydney did no go on the trip due to a knee injury he sustained 2 weeks before the tournament. He was a definite for  the squad.

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 10:04:35 AM »
Allan Cupid is retired in Baltimore
Still considered one of the Best Dressers LOL
Dtool

1]; } ?>