April 26, 2024, 01:59:22 PM

Author Topic: FIFA News Thread.  (Read 110921 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE: Press Release
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2015, 05:08:08 PM »
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE: Press Release (contains all of the details including the links to the individual indictment documents)

Nine FIFA Officials and Five Corporate Executives Indicted for Racketeering Conspiracy and Corruption.

The Defendants Include Two Current FIFA Vice Presidents and the Current and Former Presidents of the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF); Seven Defendants Arrested Overseas; Guilty Pleas for Four Individual Defendants and Two Corporate Defendants Also Unsealed

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa-officials-and-five-corporate-executives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA News Thread.
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2015, 05:13:13 PM »
The missing man in the FIFA indictments

The late Julio Grondona exerted direct control over the television rights at the center of Wednesday’s indictments.

In Wednesday’s blockbuster indictment of FIFA officials and sports marketing executives, there was one name glaringly unmentioned.

No, it was not Sepp Blatter. It was Julio Grondona.

As the longtime head of Argentina’s soccer federation, the AFA, Grondona served as FIFA’s senior vice president—Blatter’s No. 2– until his death in July 2014 at the age of 82. A member of FIFA’s executive committee from 1988 to his death and a former chair of the organization’s finance committee, Grondona was a long-time confidant of Blatter.

He also exerted direct control over the television rights at the center of Wednesday’s indictments. “He’s the great missing man because, basically, he was the one who managed all the television contracts at FIFA while he was alive,” said Hernán Castillo, an Argentine sports journalist and the author of Todo Pasa, an unauthorized biography of Grondona’s life at the nexus of soccer, business, and politics.

Known as “Don Julio,” Grondona cut a fearsome figure in the Argentine political landscape. Appointed to head the AFA in 1979 by Vice Admiral Carlos Lacoste, one of the leaders of the military junta that ruled Argentina during the Dirty War (1976 to 1983) that left up to 30,000 people disappeared or dead, he was the last major figure from that period still in power.

Grondona was known as a survivor, someone who could get along with military rulers as well as civilian governments of both the right and the left. He also controlled the Argentine league’s finances and TV contracts with an iron fist. That put him in close contact with three of those indicted on Wednesday for allegedly having “systematically paid and agreed to pay well over $150 million in bribes and kickbacks to obtain lucrative media and marketing rights to international soccer tournaments.”

Those three were Alejandro Burzaco, the head of Torneos y Competencias, an Argentine sports marketing business that had the rights to many Argentine league and national team games; and Hugo and Mariano Jinkis, who ran Full Play Group, an Argentine sports marketing business that holds the TV rights for several South American national teams and tournaments.

“All TV business with whatever businessperson passed through Grondona’s hands,” said Castillo.

Grondona’s relationship with Burzaco had a rocky start. In 2009, the Argentine government took the local pay-TV rights for the Argentine league away from Torneos y Competencias and gave them to Grondona and the AFA to start a government-subsidized free TV broadcast scheme called Fútbol Para Todos (Soccer for Everyone).

But soon the two built a working relationship, and Burzaco’s company provided production services to Fútbol Para Todos and held the international rights for the games. As of the beginning of this year, the company also held the production rights to friendly games for the Argentine national team.

Grondona’s funeral services were attended by Sepp Blatter, Argentine President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, and Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi. Also present was Eugenio Figueredo, a current FIFA vice president and executive committee member and former CONMEBOL president, who was indicted on Wednesday.

Presumably in jest, the Venezuela-based television network TeleSUR briefly illustrated a story about Grondona’s sendoff with a funeral scene image from The Godfather.

Grondona managed to avoid lasting corruption indictments during his lifetime, but he may very well have known that something untoward was going on in the selection of Russia and Qatar as hosts of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Commenting from New Zealand on Wednesday, where he is coaching Argentina’s under-20 soccer World Cup, Grondona’s son, Humberto, said of the indictments, “I’m not surprised. From what I spoke about at the time with my father, we knew of certain irregularities that had happened with the elections in the cities for the World Cup.”

It’s impossible to know how Grondona would have reacted to Wednesday’s news. He was known to wear a pinkie ring with the words “todo pasa” inscribed. The translation: “everything passes.”

Source: Fortune

http://fortune.com/2015/05/27/fifa-indictments-julio-grondona/?xid=timehp-category

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 27, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »
Next up, Grondona? Don Julio is a man below the radar for many football followers worldwide, but that octogenarian is a piece of work in his own right ... Havelange, Warner, Blatter et al notwithstanding ... Google him if yuh don't know bout him.

Escaped via death ...

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:26:22 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
Daiz it, wow. Nah, none of this is over football, daiz why the investigation time line conveniently stars in 1991 to coincide with JW reign of CONCACAF. No investigation into how after 40 years of rubbish, the US just pulled itself from the ruble and jumped on top the heap in CONCACAF.

Yuh right, it's not about football, yet USsoccer is nowhere to be seen in any of this. What's glaring is that Lynch mentioned that over $110 million was exchange in the run up to the Copa being in the US next year, yet where are the US officials. A pawn from NASL? So COMNEBOL negotiated with themselves to host the COPA in the US with no input from USsoccer? Is that how you see it.

See according to you, calling a thing like it is means a person hate that thing. Maybe sticking one's head in the sand on atrocities and missteps epitomizes love and patriotism. That's some good tea party rhetoric right there.  Yeah, I should go back to my country.

You really think I support what JW and FIFA did. As far as I see though JW et al are just "patsies".

Your penchant for failing to connect the dots is at times alarming.

http://gu.com/p/499kx

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »
Report claims Grondona received US$15m in bribes

A copy of the US Department of Justice report into corruption in the FIFA football governing body has implicated late Argentine Football Association president Julio Grondona, who the investigation claims pocketed multi-million dollar bribes related to television rights.

The accusation is based events surrounding the creation of the Datisa group, a conglomerate of Torneos y Competencias, Full Play and Traffic. That company won the rights to screen the 2015, 2016, 2019 and 2023 editions of the Copa America in a contract signed on May 25 2013, according to the Justice Department's report (p. 105).

Datisa accordingly agreed to pay a sum of 100 million dollars in bribes. 20 million were earmarked for the contract signing, with another 20 for each of the four tournaments to be covered. According to the document, the money was shared out with US$3 million each to "the highest officials of the Conmebol [the confederation's president, the Brazilian federation president and the Argentine FA president.]"

Taking those figures into account, Grondona, who passed away in July 2014 having been at the helm of Argentine football since 1979, would have taken a total of US$15m in illicit payments. Although US Attorney-General Loretta Lynch refrained from naming individuals, the report made it clear that the AFA ex-president was involved in the biggest corruption case in FIFA history.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/190212/report-claims-grondona-received-us

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jack Warner's Response to FIFA U.S Investigation
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »
Jack Warner's Response to FIFA U.S Investigation

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jMfnjMY7mKc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jMfnjMY7mKc</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CkGHspzKPVI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CkGHspzKPVI</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2015, 05:54:15 PM »
Watching all the different media channels contribution on these developments you can see how much the British media hate Blatter and the FIFA executive. Dey dont like him at all. I am not a fan of Blatter either but the British really really don't like him

Ever since Havelange replaced Stanley Rouse, there has been a dislike for FIFA. The Brits wanted the WC to stay a 16. Havelange expanded it to 24. And it kept on growing. But I do hope those anti-FIFA don't mess with the one country one vote.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
I want to know how is it that Canada USA and Mexico seems to always get automatic qualifications in Gold Cup?  Who could start that investigation? What is the price or deal  that has allegedly been brokered to ensured that?

Leh ergo back and see who. May have benefitted from the USA  victory  over TnT to qualify for WC way back when?

Remember the fiasco against Haiti as well? Ummmmm leh we star bussing mark - everybody sheet smelling today
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:58:19 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »
From the Information document pertaining to Daryan Warner

INTRODUCTION TO COUNTS ONE AND TWO

5. From in or about and between 2005 and 2011, both dates being approximate and inclusive, the defendant DARYAN WARNER, together with others, participated in a scheme to obtain World Cup tickets from FIFA based on materially false and fraudulent pretenses, representations and promises, and to resell those tickets to others for a substantial profit.

The 2006 World Cup Tickets Scheme

6. In advance of the 2006 World Cup, the defendant DARYAN WARNER and Co-Conspirator #1, a ticket broker based in Florida whose identity is known to the United States Attorney, agreed to be partners for the purpose of obtaining tickets to the 2006 World Cup and reselling them at a substantial mark-up. WARNER's role in the scheme was to purchase tickets from the FTO. After purchasing the tickets, WARNER would sell them to Co-Conspirator #1, who, in turn, would sell them to, among others, travel agencies, tour operators and other ticket brokers.

7. Prior to 2006, the FTO had advised the defendant DARYAN WARNER that it would not sell him tickets if WARNER intended to resell the tickets to or through Co-Conspirator #1.

8. It was part of the scheme that the defendant DARYAN WARNER attempted to purchase, and did purchase, tickets from the FTO. Because WARNER knew that the FTO would not sell the tickets to him for resale to Co-Conspirator #1, WARNER disguised and concealed his intention to resell the tickets to Co-Conspirator #1. For example, on one occasion, when asked by a representative of the FTO if WARNER was working with CoConspirator #1, WARNER lied and said he was not.

9. It was further part of the scheme that the defendant DARYAN WARNER sought to disguise and conceal his intention to resell tickets to the 2006 World Cup to CoConspirator #1 from an auditing firm that had been hired by FIFA to investigate irregularities in the resale of tickets to the 2006 World Cup.

10. Among other things, the defendant DARYAN WARNER, together with Co-Conspirator #1, agreed to provide, and did provide, to the FTO and to the auditing firm documents that falsely represented that WARNER intended to resell tickets to the 2006 World Cup directly to certain travel agencies and tour operators not associated with Co-Conspirator #1.

11. As a result of the scheme, the defendant DARYAN WARNER and Co-Conspirator #1 made a substantial profit from the sale of the 2006 World Cup tickets that WARNER procured from the FTO based on false pretenses.

The 2010 World Cup Tickets Scheme

12. FIFA became aware that the defendant DARYAN WARNER had resold 2006 World Cup tickets obtained from the FTO to Co-Conspirator #1. As a result, WARNER understood and believed that the FTO would not sell him tickets for the 2010 World Cup. Further, WARNER understood and believed that the FTO would not sell such tickets to any other individual if the FTO knew the tickets would later be provided to WARNER for resale.

13. Nevertheless, the defendant DARYAN WARNER continued his scheme with Co-Conspirator #1 to obtain 2010 World Cup tickets and resell them at a substantial mark-up, as they did in 2006.

14. It was part of the scheme that, for the purpose of causing the FTO to provide him with tickets that he could resell at a substantial mark-up, the defendant DARYAN WARNER asked two of his family members, whose identities are known to the United States Attorney (the "Two Family Members"), to obtain tickets from the FTO on his behalf. WARNER understood and believed that his Two Family Members, who, at the time, were FIFA officials entitled to purchase a certain allotment of tickets, obtained the tickets without disclosing to the FTO that they intended to provide the tickets to WARNER for resale.

15. After receiving the tickets from his Two Family Members, the defendant DARYAN WARNER, along with Co-Conspirator #1, resold the tickets at a substantial mark-up. WARNER and Co-Conspirator #1 made a substantial profit from the sale of tickets to the 2010 World Cup.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2015, 06:03:41 PM »
I want to know how is it that Canada USA and Mexico seems to always get automatic qualifications in Gold Cup?  Who could start that investigation? What is the price or deal  that has allegedly been brokered to ensured that?

They have money power in Concacaf. They have state of the art stadia, hotels, airports and transportation. Plus they get big crowds. They have convinced the others(with Jack's full input) to allow the GC to be played in the US. Mexico will not be affected because whenever and wherever they play in the US is like a home game. Canada just tagging along with the big boys. Sometimes they are very good, other time they are bad. This will not change until the big two, Mex-USA are consistently knocked out in the cup. Until this happens, just come along for the ride.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2015, 07:32:37 PM »
But this was real big news,Breds and Sis. Local, national news. I just keep seeing Jack face, every hour on the hour. NPR running this news every half hour this morning. I thought I might have seen Bakes standing next to Madame AG when she was handing down the indictment.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2015, 08:04:10 PM »
Blatter press conference:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SjbPi00k_ME" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SjbPi00k_ME</a>
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »
But this was real big news,Breds and Sis. Local, national news. I just keep seeing Jack face, every hour on the hour. NPR running this news every half hour this morning. I thought I might have seen Bakes standing next to Madame AG when she was handing down the indictment.

Haha, nah not me... but I have a Sikh pardna from college who is an Assistant US Attorney in that office.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2015, 09:12:02 PM »
Fifa is a playground for the corrupt and if Sepp Blatter is its face then we are in a very bad place
Diego Maradona (The Telegraph)

For decades I have lived and breathed football every single day. It is my passion. I am deeply proud of my career and the wonderful support I have known in Argentina and abroad from fans, friends and colleagues on the field. That is why I am writing today.

In the last few decades, football has changed – and not for the better. Once, it was a sport you could be proud of, a sport that united the world. But Fifa, its governing body, has turned into a playground for the corrupt.

Most football fans can predict what I am about to say next: Under Sepp Blatter, Fifa has become a disgrace and a painful embarrassment to those of us who care about football deeply.

When I speak with football enthusiasts these days the conversation inevitably turns to the Fifa elections. While I find almost no one openly supporting Blatter, many think he will win a fifth term. Why? The whole notion of a fifth term is an absurdity in 2015 – it is not acceptable in democratic countries anywhere. Nor is it acceptable in the United Nations or most international organisations today.

But somehow it is OK for Fifa. We have a dictator for life.

I call Blatter “the man of ice” because he lacks the inspiration and passion that are at the very heart of football. If this is the face of international football, we are in a very bad place.

Football is an intense world, filled with conflict and it has always had its problems, but the head of Fifa should not be one of them.

The media is filled with stories on the string of scandals that have surrounded Blatter for well over a decade. There are so many, it has almost become boring to repeat them.

Who would be surprised by another bit of Fifa intrigue and larceny, another accusation of bribery?

When I ask why so many people think Blatter will make it yet again, the answer is always the same: He has won support with years of unethical patronage, favours and handouts.

No one has argued that he is the best man for the job and deserves to win. They “praise” him for keeping one step ahead of the investigators – whether they are auditors or the FBI – and ignore how Fifa finances have turned into a shambles with losses over $100 million (£65 million) alone at ISL, the Swiss marketing company closely associated to Fifa.

There is a sick admiration for Blatter much like that accorded to an old Mafia boss who has somehow managed to stay out of jail.

Blatter’s political history is one of promoting division and hiding failures.

Recently he pledged to follow through in addressing racism in football and promoting women in the sport. That made me laugh. My question is: “Sepp, what were you doing in your last four terms?”

We all know the answer to that: surrounding himself with crooks who lined their pockets at the expense of the sport. If he were an honest man, surely he would not have spent half his time blocking outside investigations into Fifa finances?

Why is this dodgy 79-year-old running for a fifth term at Fifa anyway? His cronies have stolen everything but the furniture in his office and he has claimed to know nothing. Perhaps we should call him Saint Sepp the Innocent. What a joke.

If leadership matters, then no national football association could, in good conscience, support Blatter for a fifth term. He is incompetent. When you are knee deep in massive financial losses and bribes and notice nothing, you are a fool or a thief.

All these corruption investigations are bleeding the life out of Fifa, and international football is drowning in a sea of contempt. Few sports in history have suffered the bad press football has faced in recent years and much of that press is owed to Blatter.

Key sponsors like Continental, Castrol and Johnson & Johnson are running away from Fifa. The Council of Europe has condemned Blatter’s handling of the collapse of ISL and over $100 million in losses. The FBI is looking at the handling of the US bid for 2022. There have been hundreds of media articles on massive financial losses, mismanagement and bribery.

We need young and creative leadership at Fifa – the kind of leadership that is inclusive and open to new ideas. We need a football culture, not a mafia culture.

Why are we all just passively accepting this corruption? Enough is enough.

We want our game back.

(Published a couple days prior to the arrests).

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2015, 10:15:45 PM »

What if some of the alleged corruption money was used to finance UNC/PP election campaign in 2010? What next?

What if water is wet. Since the 07 election is FIFA money in 02 when they refuse to go to parliament was FIFA money. I just want to see the trail to Rienzi and I will be happy.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2015, 10:27:28 PM »

Process may take months, says West

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150527/news/process-may-take-months-says-west

While the Government has acceded to the extradition request by the United States, it will take months before former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner is actually extradited.

Former head of the Central Authority David West explained yesterday that now that bail has been granted, the United States has 60 days within which to produce evidence.

This, he said, will be done through the Central Authority.

After this, he explained, there will be a preliminary hearing.

All this could take up to four months before it reaches the High Court.

He said if Warner consents, then there will be no case and the process will be faster.

However, if Warner seeks to challenge the matter with a judicial review, it could delay the matter.

West is also head of the Police Complaints Authority.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2015, 02:03:18 AM »
Brent Sancho not surprised.
By Rhondor Dowlat (Guardian).

Minister of Sport and former Soca Warrior, Brent Sancho described the indictment against former FIFA vice president and president of CONCACAF as an historic development in sports and in football.

Sancho said he was not surprised in relation to Warner being charged for corruption.

“FIFA for a very long time acted on its own. No world government have ever interfaced or gotten involved in FIFA’s business. It is not a surprise that this is happening but I think it did take long to develop like this. I am not surprised,” Sancho said.

When asked about his longstanding relationship with Warner and how he felt on a personal level, Sancho replied: “It was always difficult to judge Warner’s impact in the local game. It is hard because he never really had a lot of accountability and transparency. For one championing his cause, Warner played an integral part in a positive way in football.

“It is a sad day despite all achievements Warner had on and off the pitch.”

When asked what was the reaction by his Cabinet colleagues on the news, Sancho said that everyone was watching to see what will happen next.

Meanwhile, the T&T Football Association (TTFA) said it is observing, with concern, the events that took place yesterday morning in Zurich, Switzerland.

In a release late yesterday, the TTFA assured that it will give the ongoing investigation the respect it deserves and as a result, will refrain from making further statements on the ongoing investigation at this time.

“We acknowledge this investigation and hope it will lead to improved governance in the world’s most popular sport of which our organisation is actively involved,” the TTFA said.

The TTFA reiterates that it is currently involved in a process of reforming and re-organising its governance, organisational structures, and “practices in striving to meet ever-increasing expectations of transparency, accountability and performance from a wide range of stakeholders.

“This process was started immediately by president Raymond Tim Kee after he was elected as president of TTFA in 2012.”

Tim Kee is currently in Zurich, Switzerland, attending the 65th FIFA Congress.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2015, 02:18:21 AM »
Sancho wants Warner answer FBI questions
By STEPHON NICHOLAS (Newsday).

Minister of Sport and former Soca Warrior, Brent Sancho, believes ex-FIFA vice-president Jack Warner should be extradited to the United States “to answer serious questions” posed to him by the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigations).

Sancho was speaking with Newsday following an early morning sweep in Switzerland by police on delegates who were convening for Friday’s FIFA presidential election where incumbent Sepp Blatter is seeking a fifth consecutive term.

Warner, who resigned from FIFA in June 2011 amid a proliferation of allegations of corruption, is named among 14 persons indicted including current Concacaf boss Jeffrey Webb for racketeering, fraud and money laundering.

Sancho, who had a personal battle with Warner and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) for 2006 World Cup bonuses and accountability for close to $200 million from the 2006 World Cup campaign, had little sympathy for the former Special Adviser to the TTFA.

“I believe once there is concrete evidence he should answer what questions are raised to him. And based on the international reports that have been coming out for the last few years he has to answer a number of serious questions,” he stated.

Sancho said he was not surprised by yesterday’s developments as he reminded the public that Warner is not untouchable despite the power he once wielded throughout the world.

“I am not surprised at all. This has been something in the making for quite a while. There has been a number of allegations around FIFA and the only real surprise is that it has taken so long. There was the (Mohammed) bin Hammam situation (alleged US$40k bribes to (Caribbean officials) right here in Trinidad. He’s not untouchable but it is unprecedented. FIFA has been a law unto themselves for quite a while,” he said.

Sancho said this current FIFA scandal is a reminder to all sporting bodies to adhere to the principles of integrity while in office as no longer will the world sit back and allow corrupt sporting activities to continue unpunished.

“It’s a historic day in terms of how people will conduct business. We at home and the TTFA need to be cognizant of this. I’m not saying they have done anything illegal but we must be aware that accountability is a must. People must remember how powerful Concacaf is in terms of voting because of the number of countries we have. It has a lot to say in terms of everything going on at FIFA and what is playing out right now,” he explained.

Asked whether he feels vindicated considering their much publicised battle with Warner and the TTFA, Sancho said: “One thing is for sure is we unearthed a lot of stuff to do with what’s transpiring now. We are happy that the stuff we unearthed has now come home to roost. It’s a sad day for football,” he declared.

Asked whether FIFA has any credibility left, Sancho did not give a definite answer but urged football’s governing body to use this scandal as the impetus to purge itself from corrupt activities and officials. “That is the million dollar question now. Where do they go from here? From allegations to now arrests, I hope things can be cleansed but we don’t know how this will now affect tournaments coming up,” he said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2015, 03:06:48 AM »
Nike becomes suspected player in alleged $150 million FIFA bribery scandal
By Drew Harwell

The international investigation into bribery, fraud and corruption at FIFA involved some surprising American names: The Miami chairman of a popular nationwide soccer league, and a major U.S. sportswear firm some believe could be Nike.

For more than two decades, the Justice Department said Wednesday, five "unscrupulous" U.S. and South American sports and banking executives helped funnel more than $150 million in bribes to officials atop FIFA, the multibillion-dollar goliath governing the world's most popular sport.

The indictment also alleges bribes were paid and pocketed in connection with the sponsorship of the Brazilian national soccer team by "a major U.S. sportswear company." Although investigators will not name the company, the indictment says the sportswear firm signed a 10-year, $160 million sponsorship deal with the Brazilian team in 1996, closely matching Nike’s clothes, shoes and equipment deal with the team that year.

The indictment alleges a sportswear-company official agreed three days later to allow Traffic Brazil, a sports marketing company, to charge additional "marketing fees." Traffic then invoiced the company for tens of millions of dollars more in payments over the next three years that investigators say were bribes.

Nike's current contract, which expires in 2018, includes $34 million a year in payments to the team, the fourth-largest uniform deal in international soccer, and the Oregon-based mega-firm's Swoosh logo sits on every Brazilian player's outfit.

The Brazilian sponsorship deal helped transform Nike from a brand mostly known for running and basketball shoes into a global sports giant. Nike’s soccer revenue surpassed $2.2 billion in fiscal year 2014, up from $40 million in 1994.

A Nike representative said in a statement that the firm is "concerned by the very serious allegations ... and strongly opposes any form of manipulation or bribery," adding that the company is cooperating with the authorities.

Nike investors seemed to shrug off the issue, sending the $88 billion giant's stock falling less than 1 percent. Even if Nike was implicated, analysts expected it would have minimal impact on the Big Swoosh.

"What fans or consumers are going to be much more concerned about is doping of athletes, fixing of matches, that kind of thing," said Matt Powell, a sports industry analyst for NPD Group. “I think they couldn’t care less who paid whom for what marketing deal.”

The broader corruption charges allege the five U.S. and South American businessmen pocketed kickbacks in exchange for media rights and marketing deals tied to some of soccer's most profitable games.

Investigators said they acted secretly, hatching intricate money laundering schemes, smuggling cash and wiring tens of millions of dollars through offshore accounts from the Cayman Islands to Hong Kong.

Besides the nine FIFA officials, sports-marketing executives Alejandro Burzaco, Aaron Davidson, Hugo Jinkis and Mariano Jinkis were indicted on charges of racketeering, wire fraud, money laundering conspiracy and a host of other charges tied to years of “rampant, systemic and deep-rooted" corruption, as Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch called them.

The executives are accused of serving as middlemen between FIFA and its six continental confederations, who make most of their money selling media and marketing rights to popular matches, and the legion of TV and radio networks, corporate sponsors and other licensees, who want to broadcast the games or promote their brands.

By bribing corrupt FIFA officials with more than $150 million since 1991, the Justice Department said, the marketing executives secured themselves lucrative multiyear contracts.

About $4 billion of FIFA's $5.7 billion in revenue between 2011 and 2014 came from contracts for TV and marketing rights for the 2014 World Cup, the Justice Department said.

Several prominent South American business leaders were charged in the investigation of what Internal Revenue Service criminal investigation chief Richard Weber called "the World Cup of fraud."

Burzaco, 50, is the chief executive of Torneos y Competencias S.A. (Tournaments and Competitions), an Argentinean sports broadcast firm that runs pay-TV channels, such as TyC Sports, and owns the rights to air key soccer matches, including World Cup qualifiers.

Hugo Jinkis, 70, and his son Mariano Jinkis, 40, were the president and vice president of Full Play Group S.A., an Argentinean sports-marketing agency that holds the TV rights to many South American games.

José Margulies, 75, the controlling principal of Valente Corp. and Somerton Ltd., was also accused of helping coordinate the illegal payments between the executives and officials.

The lone American executive charged so far is Aaron Davidson, 44, the president of Traffic Sports USA, a Miami-based arm of the Traffic Group, a Brazilian sports marketing conglomerate.

Davidson is chairman of the board of the North American Soccer League (NASL), and Traffic Sports USA owns stakes in several of its regional soccer franchises, including the Atlanta Silverbacks and the Carolina RailHawks, and a former stake in the Fort Lauderdale Strikers.

Davidson spoke for the company in media interviews as recently as last week's Sport Innovation Summit in Mexico City.

Registered in Miami since 1990, Traffic Sports USA is headquartered in a glitzy office tower, Courvoisier Centre, on the gated island of Brickell Key, state business records show. The firm's office line in Miami gave no answer Wednesday.

In 2012, the company won a massive marketing contract with FIFA to manage two mega-popular soccer tournaments for the U.S.-based soccer confederation, CONCACAF: the 2013 Gold Cup and 2015 Champions League.

Davidson said at the time that the company was "honored to have been selected by CONCACAF to represent these prestigious competitions,” and added that “being based in South Florida over the past 21 years has been very strategic and advantageous for us."

How firms like the Traffic Group allegedly kept bribes pumping play out over the court records of José Hawilla, the firm's 71-year-old Brazilian founder. In December, Hawilla pleaded guilty to charges including racketeering conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and obstruction of justice, agreeing to forfeit more than $151 million, including $25 million on the spot.

Founded in Sao Paulo in 1980, the privately held Traffic Group focused on the "commercialization of soccer" through buying and selling media rights such as field branding, sponsorship deals and licensed merchandise. In a 2011 lawsuit, Traffic Sports International described itself as "one of the leading sports event and management companies in the world."

Traffic International funneled bribes extensively, investigators said: In five payments starting in 2010, for rights tied to the 2011 Copa America, the firm wired $22 million that bounced between a Miami bank, a Banco de Brasil in New York, and an account in Asuncion, Paraguay.

Federal investigators said Hawilla and his co-conspirators did nearly everything to conceal their scheme, including tapping a Swiss bank account, trusted financial advisers and currency dealers to help hide illegal payments. They also created shell companies and bank accounts in tax havens and secretive jurisdictions, evaded income taxes and resorted to bulk cash smuggling.

Both Traffic Sports International and Traffic Sports USA pleaded guilty to wire fraud conspiracy this month.

The executives found a profitable playground in FIFA, which holds more than $1.5 billion in cash reserves. The organization pockets about $1.4 billion from its six official corporate sponsors every four years, with Adidas, Coca-Cola, Hyundai/Kia Motors, Emirates, Sony and Visa pledged as partners for the most recent World Cup.

Made up of 209 regional member associations that represent organized soccer, FIFA is both financially opaque, cloaking much of its spending and executive salaries, and tremendously profitable.

Between 2007 and 2010, when FIFA made 83 percent of its more than $4 billion in revenues off selling TV and marketing rights to the 2010 World Cup, its profits totaled about $631 million, income statements show.

FIFA, or the Fédération Internationale de Football Association, called itself the “injured party” in the investigation and said it "welcomes actions that can help contribute to rooting out any wrongdoing in football,” a statement released Wednesday said.

Jack Warner, a former FIFA vice president and soccer official from Trinidad and Tobago charged in the U.S. case, said in a statement to the Daily Mail in London that the investigation hid economic motives.

“The large world powers typically take actions to affect world football,'' Warner said. " World football is an enormous international business.”

Post researcher Alice Crites contributed to this report.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2015, 03:09:53 AM »
Visa warns FIFA: Clean up your act now or else
CNNMONEY

Some of the biggest corporate sponsors of soccer are worried in the wake of the corruption scandal now engulfing FIFA.

In a strongly worded statement late Wednesday, Visa called on the world's premier soccer organization to "take swift and immediate steps" to clean up its act.

"It is important that FIFA makes changes now," Visa (V) said. "Should FIFA fail to do so, we have informed them that we will reassess our sponsorship."

Earlier, another major sponsor, Coca-Cola (KO), said the "controversy has tarnished the mission and ideals of the FIFA World Cup." The company said it has "repeatedly expressed our concerns about these serious allegations."

The U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday indicted 14 people, including senior soccer executives, in a sweeping corruption probe spanning the globe. American officials said their investigation is continuing and Switzerland is conducting its own probe.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch also implicated at least one American company in the corruption allegations. Without going into any detail, she said the investigation included the "sponsorship of the Brazilian national soccer team by a major U.S. sportswear company," the 2011 FIFA presidential election and the site of the 2010 World Cup.

McDonald's (MCD) said that it "takes matters of ethics and corruption very seriously" and that it is in contact with FIFA and is monitoring the situation closely.

Adidas (ADDDF) called on FIFA to raise its standards.

"The Adidas Group is fully committed to creating a culture that promotes the highest standards of ethics and compliance, and we expect the same from our partners," the company said.

Adidas said that it will "encourage FIFA to continue to establish and follow transparent compliance standards in everything they do."

Budweiser's parent company, Anheuser-Busch (AHBIF), said, "We expect all of our partners to maintain strong ethical standards and operate with transparency. We continue to closely monitor the situation through our ongoing communications with FIFA."

Adidas and Visa paid an average of $32 million a year for their partnership deals with FIFA, while Coca-Cola, McDonald's and Budweiser forked over an average of $19 million each, according to estimates by IEG, a consulting and research firm.

All told, FIFA will pocket a total of about $1.6 billion from its major sponsors over a four-year period between 2011 and 2014, IEG calculated.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2015, 03:13:47 AM »
Jack Warner: former Fifa kingpin spends night in jail after corruption arrest.
By  Rupert Neate, Owen Gibson (theguardian.com)

Trinidadian appeared in court to hear eight counts of fraud but a delay in processing his US$395,000 bail meant a night in the cells

Former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner was spending Wednesday night in jail in Trinidad, after surrendering to face an arrest warrant issued at the request of US authorities, who filed corruption charges against him and 13 others tied to international football.

Warner appeared in court in Port-of Spain, where a judge read eight counts against him and then set bail at 2.5m Trinidadian dollars (US$395,000). He was also told he must surrender his passport and report to police twice a week.

Warner did not enter a plea and was scheduled to appear in court again on 12 July.

Police said there was a delay in processing Warner’s bail and he would spend one night in jail. Before turning himself in, Warner denied he had done anything wrong.

The US has two months to issue a formal extradition request, according to Trinidad’s attorney general, Garvin Nicholas, who said his office had been working with the US justice department for about two years regarding the investigation into Warner, who was forced out of Fifa in 2011 over a bribery scandal.

In a video posted on Facebook just hours before he surrendered, Warner said: “I want to tell you, that whatever is planned for me, negatively, shall not succeed.”

Warner, who is an opposition member of parliament in the twin-island nation of Trinidad and Tobago, and previously served as Trinidad’s national security minister, can be extradited to the US under a bilateral treaty following a hearing.
Advertisement

“Mr Warner is entitled to a fair extradition process and both the requesting and requested states intend to abide by the provisions of the treaty to ensure that Mr Warner’s rights are respected,” the attorney general said in a statement.

American prosecutors on Wednesday accused nine senior current or former Fifa officials – seven of whom, including Fifa vice-presidents Jeffrey Webb and Eugenio Figueredo, were arrested in dawn raids at a five-star hotel in Switzerland – of “hijacking” international football to run “a World Cup of fraud” to line their pockets by $150m.

The Swiss federal prosecutor also raided Fifa’s headquarters in Zurich in a parallel investigation into the controversial bidding race for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, which were awarded to Russia and Qatar respectively in December 2010.

Loretta Lynch, the US attorney general, said the Fifa officials had allegedly run a “rampant, systemic and deep-rooted” scheme to “acquire millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks”.

“They were expected to uphold the rules that keep soccer honest, and protect the integrity of the game. Instead, they corrupted the business of worldwide soccer to serve their interests and enrich themselves.”

Lynch said the nine Fifa officials, including Warner, and five sports marketing executives had run “a 24-year scheme to enrich themselves through the corruption of international soccer”.

“These individuals and organisations engaged in bribery to decide who would televise games; where the games would be held; and who would run the organisation overseeing organised soccer worldwide,” Lynch said.

“They corrupted the business of worldwide soccer to serve their interests and enrich themselves. They did this over and over, year after year, tournament after tournament.”

Among an avalanche of new claims was one that South Africa paid $10m in bribes to secure the 2010 World Cup – and that the cash was transferred via a Fifa account. The money was allegedly paid to former Fifa members Warner and Chuck Blazer – an American who became an FBI informer after he was threatened over millions in unpaid tax.

Lynch said she would seek the extradition of the men to the US to stand trial as soon as possible. If found guilty of racketeering, the most serious of the 47 charges, some of the men face up to 20 years in jail.

Earlier in the day, Warner denied any wrongdoing, as he has previously when confronted with allegations that he enriched himself while an official with the global soccer governing body and as a president of Concacaf, Fifa’s North American regional organisation.

Warner left football in 2011 to avoid Fifa sanctions during the organisation’s presidential election. He said he was not questioned in the investigation that led to this week’s indictment, which also involves guilty pleas by two of his sons on related charges.

“I have been afforded no due process and I have not even been questioned in this matter,” he said in a statement. “I reiterate that I am innocent of any charges.

“I have walked away from the politics of world football to immerse myself in the improvement of lives in this country where I shall, God willing, die.”

In a brief phone conversation with the Associated Press, Warner declined to comment further and said he did not have enough information about his sons’ guilty pleas to comment. “I can’t say anything about what I don’t know about.”

Warner represents the constituency of Chaguanas West in parliament. His term is due to expire when the session ends on 17 June.

Later, he told TV6 that US authorities “know where to find me” and added: “I sleep very soundly in the night.”

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »
All these sponsors grand standing. How long they FIFA corrupted and yet they flock to it in droves. IF the WC is played in the next 3 hours you will see all off them falling over themselves with Sepp.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Say something now nah !  :)

The Russian President believes that the FBI investigation into alleged corruption within the game's governing body is politically motivated

Russian president Vladimir Putin says Wednesday’s arrests of Fifa officials is merely another example of the USA "meddling" in affairs outside its jurisdiction.

The US Department of Justice, in collaboration with the Swiss police, made a wave of arrests in Zurich following a three-year FBI investigation into alleged corruption at football’s world governing body.

However, Putin says the arrests were little more an attempt by the American authorities to extend their power across the globe.

“It looks very strange that the arrests are carried out on the request of the USA,” he said.

“They are accused of corruption – who is? International officials. I suppose that someone broke some rules, I don’t know. But definitely, it’s got nothing to do with the USA.

"Those officials are not US citizens. If something happened it was not in the US and it’s nothing to do with them.”

Read More; http://www.goal.com/en/news/745/fifa/2015/05/28/12171692/putin-usa-meddling-in-fifa-affairs?ICID=HP_BN_2

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:32:39 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »
Transactions were made in the US with US dollars also, tell Putin to shut he cunny.

De currency were made illegally and to make it workst, they did not pay taxes on it and its the property of US.

Yuh feel this is Trini or what, thieving millions and getting away free.

Yea, de FBI, USA might have a personal motive, but FIFA is corrupted for over 30 years now and someone need to stop them.

Look what Jack Warner did to T&T.

Talking about Jack, he spend de night in Goldon Grove and he told his sons what to say to the FBI, expect de Warner's to walk free, including Jack, because he go sing like a pee-coh.

FIFA put another corrupt man to rn Concacaf and get he ass caught up now, Webb.

REMEMBER THIS ALLYUH

Now Warner vows to unleash 'tsunami' to bring down Blatter in corruption scandal
By Sportsmail Reporter
Updated: 10:22 EST, 18 October 2011

Disgraced former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has threatened to release a 'tsunami' of corruption allegations against Sepp Blatter.

Warner revealed he will make the claims once former presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam completes his appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport against his life ban for bribery.

'I have promised in the past a tsunami that would hit the FIFA, and indeed, it will come,' said Warner, who was on FIFA's ruling executive committee for 28 years.

A verdict in bin Hammam's appeal to CAS is not expected for several months. The bribery scandal also ended Warner's career in football when he resigned in June to avoid investigation of his role in arranging $40,000 payments for Caribbean voters during bin Hammam's election challenge to Blatter.

Warner published a 1,300-word article in the Trinidad and Tobago Guardian, claiming that he and Bin Hammam helped Blatter win 'bitter' and 'brutal' elections in 1998 and 2002.

He said his revelations would make FIFA's sponsors - which include Adidas, Coca-Cola, Sony and Visa - 'cringe with painful surprise.'

The threats come three days before Blatter announces details of an anti-corruption drive promised when FIFA member nations gave the 75-year-old Swiss a final four-year term unopposed in June.

He continued: 'Blatter now suddenly sees the need to reform the FIFA from within in his last term of office and in the sunset of his days.

'This is hypocritical to say the least for it is public knowledge that his four terms of office have been dogged with controversy and allegations of corruption to which he has never responded.'

Warner said he and Bin Hammam backed Blatter's first campaign in 1998 and to secure re-election four years later, when the governing body was mired in a financial scandal.

He added: 'We took (Blatter) on a worldwide crusade through Africa and Asia begging for support for him, and he won!'

Warner recalled his first meeting with Petrus Damaseb, who chaired the FIFA ethics panel which expelled bin Hammam in July.

He implied that Damaseb, then Namibia football federation president, accepted a payment in '98. FIFA introduced an ethics code in 2006 which prohibited cash gifts.

'I will tell the world what gift Bin Hammam gave to (Damaseb) which was not a bribe then as he has ruled today,' Warner wrote.

Bin Hammam has claimed that Blatter and Chuck Blazer, the American FIFA executive committee member and Warner's longtime ally, orchestrated the bribery scandal because the Qatari official was poised to take football's top job.

Warner calculated that his 25 Caribbean Football Union members were key because Blatter was edging the race by just a handful of votes.

'It would have been an interesting encounter until the region was sold out to Blazer and Blatter,' Warner wrote.

The Trinidad and Tobago government minister also suggested FIFA was blighted by racial and religious discrimination, and that Michel Platini of France was being groomed to continue a European domination of world football.

'The conspiracy to protect the FIFA's throne for Michel Platini by getting rid of the Muslim Bin Hammam and the interruption of the successes of Jack

Warner will be uncovered for all to see,' he wrote.

The bribery scandal was sparked when whistleblowers from four Caribbean countries reported that cash was offered during bin Hammam's May 10 electioneering visit to Trinidad.

A video of Warner urging Caribbean football leaders to accept their cash gifts was leaked last week.

Warner previously promised to unleash a 'tsunami' in May after he was provisionally suspended by the ethics committee. He published an email in which FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke implied Qatar 'bought' the 2022 World Cup hosting rights.

Valcke acknowledged writing the email to Warner, but said he was referring to the financial strength of Qatar's bid.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:33:40 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2015, 09:30:14 AM »
Warner's "football tsunami" warning finally comes true for FIFA.
By Mike Collett (Reuters).

Almost exactly four years to the day since former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner stood in the lobby of the Baur au Lac hotel and warned FIFA a "football tsunami" was about to hit it, his words have finally came true.

But not in the way he could ever have imagined.

As dawn broke on Wednesday, the doors of the luxury five-star hotel overlooking Lake Zurich burst open and plainclothes officers from the Swiss federal police force swept through the very lobby where Warner uttered those words in 2011.

They obtained the keys to the rooms of seven FIFA delegates, including Warner's successor as the president of the CONCACAF confederation Jeffrey Webb, and led them away on various charges of bribery, racketeering, fraud and money laundering.

This, though, was not the tsunami Warner had in mind when he himself was suspended by FIFA for his alleged part in the bribery scandal that led to his downfall in the build-up to the 2011 FIFA presidential election.

At the time he said he had evidence of bribery going back years that would "hit FIFA and the world and shock you."

But Warner never did unleash his threatened tsunami. The United States Department of Justice and the Swiss Attorney General have.

Instead Warner walked away after 29 years involvement with world soccer's governing body rather than face FIFA's own Ethics Committee's probe into his part in the bribery scandal, and became a politician in his native Trinidad.

MURKY WATERS

But on Wednesday he again found himself involved in the murky waters of FIFA when he was named as one of 14 defendants charged by the U.S. authorities.

They said Warner had solicited bribes worth $10 million from the South African government to host the 2010 World Cup and he had diverted bribes for personal use.

Again, perhaps not the tsunami that Warner had predicted.

Warner, once one of the most powerful men in FIFA, issued a statement protesting his innocence on Wednesday as FIFA reeled not only from the raid on the Baur au Lac carried out on behalf of the U.S, but a second investigation opened by the Swiss authorities into the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

The timing of the two raids, involving 18 people in all, was clearly no coincidence.

The twin investigations involve alleged corruption going back to at least 24 years surrounding high profile events like the World Cups but also other deals done away from the glare of publicity.

As British Member of Parliament Damian Collins, the founder of the anti-FIFA pressure group New FIFA Now, told Reuters on Wednesday: "Finally the chickens have come home to roost. This has been going on for far too long and now perhaps, change may come."

The timing has come at the worst possible moment for FIFA, just two days before incumbent Sepp Blatter, who will be 80 next year, faces a challenge to his presidency from 39-year-old Prince Ali bin Al Hussein of Jordan.

Blatter though is virtually certain to win a fifth term of office from the overwhelming majority of FIFA's 209 member nations who have gathered in Zurich for Friday's Congress when the election will take place.

But in an almost Orwellian press conference held at FIFA House hours after the raid at the Baur au Lac, FIFA's Director of Communications Walter de Gregorio claimed the development "was good for FIFA" because the authorities were acting on information FIFA provided to them last November.

However, in reality, with the world's media gathering in Zurich for the election, FIFA's reputation appears to be at an all-time low.

Prince Ali, advocating reform and change at FIFA if he wins the election, said: "We cannot continue with the crisis in FIFA, a crisis that has been ongoing and is not just relevant to the events of today.

"FIFA needs leadership that governs, guides and protects our national associations. Leadership that accepts responsibility for its actions and does not pass blame.

"Leadership that restores confidence in the hundreds of millions of football fans around the world."

And it probably needs a complete change in the way the organisation runs itself before that ever happens.

Since 1999 at least four books have been published in English detailing allegations of corruption against FIFA, with the latest, "The Ugly Game", detailing what it claims is conclusive proof of widespread corruption regarding the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

De Gregorio was quick to rule out that the awarding of that World Cup would be reviewed, but with the United States authorities clearly determined to bring the guilty men to justice, the future remains uncertain not only for the individuals involved, but FIFA itself.

(Reporting by Mike Collett; Editing by Giles Elgood)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:34:32 AM by Flex »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 28, 2015, 09:32:51 AM »
Say something now nah !  :)

The Russian President believes that the FBI investigation into alleged corruption within the game's governing body is politically motivated

Russian president Vladimir Putin says Wednesday’s arrests of Fifa officials is merely another example of the USA "meddling" in affairs outside its jurisdiction.

The US Department of Justice, in collaboration with the Swiss police, made a wave of arrests in Zurich following a three-year FBI investigation into alleged corruption at football’s world governing body.

However, Putin says the arrests were little more an attempt by the American authorities to extend their power across the globe.

“It looks very strange that the arrests are carried out on the request of the USA,” he said.

“They are accused of corruption – who is? International officials. I suppose that someone broke some rules, I don’t know. But definitely, it’s got nothing to do with the USA.

"Those officials are not US citizens. If something happened it was not in the US and it’s nothing to do with them.”

Read More; http://www.goal.com/en/news/745/fifa/2015/05/28/12171692/putin-usa-meddling-in-fifa-affairs?ICID=HP_BN_2

I was watching a CNN news report when some American and British journalists were trying hard to brainwash viewers how Russia and Qatar should not have been given the WC nods for 2018 and 2022. Leh we see how does ting will play out oui

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2015, 09:35:42 AM »
Anybody on the forum really shock about this recent happenings. I am not. This entire forum got its energy on the wrong doings of Jack. We have been looking forward for this event since 2006. I wonder what Coops saying? He is in another world. No worries. RIP, Breds.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2015, 09:39:40 AM »
Fifa crisis: Blatter refuses to quit as president after Platini request.
BBC Sports.

Sepp Blatter has refused to resign as Fifa president following a request from Uefa chief Michel Platini.

The 79-year-old Swiss held an emergency meeting with key Fifa officials on Thursday after world football's governing body was subjected to yet more damaging corruption claims.

Platini then made a personal appeal for Blatter to quit.

He said he addressed Blatter "like a friend" but that the Fifa boss had told him it was "too late" to resign.

The Frenchman added that the latest crisis had left him "absolutely sickened" and said "people have had enough".

Blatter is seeking a fifth term as president when he takes on Prince Ali bin al-Hussein in Friday's election.

Several influential football figures had called for the vote delayed after seven Fifa officials were arrested in Zurich on Wednesday.

But Uefa, which governs European football, decided on Thursday not to boycott the election and will continue to back Prince Ali, although some member associations, like Russia, have said they will back Blatter.

Caf, which looks after the interests of Africa, has also reiterated its support for Blatter.

So has the Asian Football Confederation, although one of its members, the Australian football federation, has announced its intention to vote for Prince Ali.

"A big, big big majority of the European associations will vote for Prince Ali," said Platini.

"People have had enough, they don't want this president any more."

Dutch FA boss and former presidential candidate Michael van Praag - who pulled out of the running so as not to split the anti-Blatter vote - said: "He is the end responsible person in Fifa. You cannot always continue washing your hands."

Fifa was plunged into fresh crisis on Wednesday when United States authorities indicted 14 people and arrested seven senior football officials on bribery and racketeering charges.

In a separate development, Swiss officials opening criminal proceedings into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bid processes.

Blatter's decision to chair an emergency meeting with representatives from Fifa's six confederations is significant.

Such gatherings are rare.

It also took place without two of its nominated members.

Jeffrey Webb, president of the North, Central American and Caribbean Association, and Eugenio Figueredo, president of the South American confederation, were both absent after being arrested on Wednesday.

Blatter, who has been in power since 1998, was widely expected to win a fifth term as president before the current crisis engulfed Fifa.

But things are not so clear cut now.

He is understood to have widespread support among Fifa's 209 member associations, but Prince Ali, a Fifa vice-president from Jordan, could benefit from the latest crisis to his world football's governing body.

Prime Minister David Cameron and English Football Association chairman Greg Dyke joined those calling for Blatter to step down.

Britain's David Gill also says he will resign from Fifa's executive committee if Blatter is re-elected.

But support for the president came from Russian president Vladimir Putin, who has claimed the United States is meddling in Fifa's affairs in an attempt to take the 2018 World Cup away from his country.

It's not just about the election, is it?

No, it's not. Fifa's entire future appears to be at stake.

Its reputation has been sullied by corruption claims for years now.

However, there is a sense that these latest developments could have a seismic impact on the footballing landscape.

Let's remember, there are two investigations here.

One is led by the United States, which is focusing on bribery claims going back more than 20 years and involving several key Fifa figures.

The other, led by Swiss authorities, is focusing on potential wrongdoing when voting took place for 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting rights

How serious are the bribery claims?

Very. Seven Fifa officials were arrested in Zurich on Wednesday on charges they received more than $150m (£100m) in bribes.

Among them was Fifa vice-president Webb, a hugely influential figure who holds a lot of power in North America and the Caribbean.

In total, 14 defendants were charged by the US Department of Justice with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies in a 24-year scheme.

Jack Warner, a former Fifa vice-president who quit world football's governing body in 2011, was also among them.

The US is trying to extradite all seven officials arrested in Zurich. Unsurprisingly, all seven are fighting such a move.

What about the 2018 and 2022 World Cups?

It seems unlikely that either Russia or Qatar will be stripped of the tournaments at this stage, although anything is possible.

Despite Fifa's numerous attempts to prove the bidding process was fair, rumours persist that not everything was above board.

The latest development have only added to the speculation.

Naturally, both Russia, who were awarded the rights to stage the 2018 tournament, and Qatar, who will host the 2022 event, are fighting hard.

Both have always insisted that they won their bids fair and square.

Is the 2010 World Cup also under scrutiny?

Yes. The tournament was always going to be in Africa, but South Africa was chosen ahead of Egypt and Morocco.

However, the US investigation claims South African officials paid $10m (£6.5m) in bribes to host the tournament.

That has prompted a furious reaction from the South African government.

"When we concluded the Fifa World Cup here in South Africa, we got a clean audit report," said Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe. "There has never been any suggestion that anything untoward happened."

How is Fifa dealing with the crisis?

As you'd expect, it is working overtime to calm fears it is in meltdown.

Fifa director of communications Walter De Gregorio tried hard to put a positive spin on developments on Wednesday.

But not everyone believed him when he claimed the investigations proved Fifa was on the right track.

In an attempt to be proactive, Fifa has already banned 11 of the 14 people charged by the US Department of Justice.

But it is coming under increasing pressure from unhappy sponsors.

Which sponsors are particularly upset?

Visa. It says it will "reassess" its sponsorship unless Fifa takes "swift and immediate steps" to address the latest accusations.

Coca-Cola, Adidas, Nike and McDonalds have also voiced concern.

John Whittingdale, Britain's Secretary of State for Culture Media and Sport, has urged all sponsors to "consider following Visa's lead".

It's fair to say that the loss of a high-profile sponsor would have a damaging impact on Fifa, both in terms of revenue and reputation.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2015, 09:49:09 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zb3cjEoni4o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zb3cjEoni4o</a>

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
When Blazer spend a night in Jail only then I will send Jack to answer charges, Everybody theif money from Havalanch come straight up to Blatter. In fact they did not theif they pay themself which is what every company in the world does. They pay the leaders.

You cant let the American "Theif" have immunity and lock up the Trinidadian one.

Jack did not create this FIFA way of doing business.

He simply fall in and they show him how to do it.

It may be against american business practice but it is inline with FIFA business practice.

yes they may have break some American Laws but usa does not have jurisdiction over FIFA and how fifa does business.

1]; } ?>