July 22, 2019, 09:41:13 PM

Author Topic: FIFA News Thread.  (Read 56357 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA News Thread.
« Reply #690 on: August 29, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »
Webb seeks 8th new sentence date in FIFA racketeering probe
By Brent Fuller, Cayman Compass

Cayman Islands businessman Jeffrey Webb has asked that a U.S. court delay his sentencing in connection with the ongoing FIFA racketeering probe again.

Federal prosecutors did not object to the request filed Aug. 20 and if the court in the Eastern District of New York agrees, it would be the eighth time Mr. Webb has received a sentencing date from the U.S. court.

Mr. Webb’s attorney, Ernie Gao, has asked to postpone six months beyond the currently scheduled Sept. 7 sentencing date. That would put Mr. Webb’s sentencing into March 2019 – nearly four years after he was first arrested in Zurich, Switzerland.

The former FIFA vice president was arrested in May 2015 and pleaded guilty in November 2015 to seven counts in a U.S. federal court indictment alleging he and dozens of other defendants conspired to rig sports marketing contracts for various world football events in exchange for millions of dollars in bribes.

The scheme described by U.S. prosecutors alleged Mr. Webb and others at FIFA solicited bribes from sports marketing companies in exchange for directing lucrative broadcast and commercial rights deals for various football tournaments to the bribe-payers. Dozens of U.S. banks were used to make those alleged bribe payments to Mr. Webb and others, prosecutors said.

It is unclear what Mr. Webb’s fate will be once his U.S. sentence is decided and any jail time assigned is served. He has been under house arrest since 2015, being allowed to venture out only for court-approved reasons, according to public records.

The Cayman Islands national is facing separate charges of conspiracy to defraud the local government in connection with the CarePay public hospital swipe-card scandal, and Anti-Corruption Commission investigators are looking into another matter involving the Cayman Islands Football Association, of which Mr. Webb was president for more than 20 years.

During earlier U.S. court proceedings, the presiding judge in the case noted that deportation was a likely result of Mr. Webb’s criminal conviction.

Webb sentencing deferred for seventh time
Cayman News Service

Cayman’s fallen football hero, Jeff Webb,  who was convicted of racketeering offences relating to his time as president of the regional football body CONCACAF, has managed to postpone his sentence for the seventh time, according to information from the US court in New York dealing with the case. Webb has already given up over $6.7 million in relation to the FIFA bribery and corruption scandal, in which he was heavily involved. He was due to be sentenced on 7 September but his attorneys wrote to the courts on Monday asking for a six-month delay.

There is no indication in the letter why his lawyers requested the delay but they indicated there was no objection from prosecutors.

Webb pleaded guilty to racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy and money laundering conspiracy back in November 2016 following his high-profile arrest, along with other FIFA executives and officials from sports marketing firms, at the football organisation’s annual meeting in Zürich in 2015. Webb, who now lives in Georgia, was first jailed in Switzerland but was then placed under house arrest in the US.

It is not clear why Webb’s sentencing hearings have been constantly postponed but it undermines the Cayman authorities’ ability to apply for Webb’s extradition to Cayman, where he is wanted in connection with a hospital corruption scandal here.

His local business partner, Canover Watson, has already been tried, convicted, sentenced and released after serving just two years of his seven-year term. Webb has not yet answered the charges. It is understood that he is also wanted for questioning by the Cayman Anti-Corruption Commission in connection with an alleged financial scandal relating to local football body CIFA.

The deferments of Webb’s sentencing hearings indicate that it is unlikely he will be incarcerated in relation to his FIFA crimes.

The case, US v. Jeffrey Webb et al., case number 1:15-cr-00252,  is being heard in the US District Court for the Eastern District of New YorK.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 25, 2018, 08:03:53 AM »
Conmebol asks Fifa to stage the World Cup every two years
By Jonathan Wilson, The Guardian

Conmebol is lobbying Fifa to stage the World Cup every two years rather than every four, president Alejandro Domínguez confirmed on Friday.

Having seen the success of the Uefa Nations League, he would also be open to the possibility of expanding that to include South American teams.

“The proposal we have made to Fifa is to play the World Cup every two years and not every four,” Domínguez said. “Instead of having the Nations League in between we can just go ahead every two years and have a World Cup and that is for everyone.

“It’s for the players because they could play four World Cups if we move to a two-year cycle. If we stay with this format many players will not be able to play more than two.

“There are many solutions. We could hold the tournament in Europe, South America, North America, Africa and Asia without such a long wait. So we see an opportunity there and there is a proposal put forward to Fifa.”

Money, needless to say, is a motivating factor. “In terms of economics Fifa make money and give more money,” Domínguez said.

What that means for the existing continental tournaments is unclear. Domínguez insists he gets on well with both the Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, and the Uefa president, Aleksandar Ceferin, holding a global tournament in a slot currently reserved for the European Championship would clearly be to the benefit of Fifa.

The Nations League is an appealing prospect and could serve as a compromise solution rather than abandoning the present structure altogether.

Domínguez’s position at present is essentially that he is open to dialogue and keen to prevent Europe moving even further ahead of South America, economically and technically, than it already is. “I always say we have to work together and never say no, I always say why not,” he said.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 25, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
Don't know about every 2 years but if they can figure out a way to broaden the Champions League to a few a few non UEFA teams from Soth America like Boca and River, that could be exciting. No one really pays attention to the club WC anyway.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 27, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »
‘There was blood everywhere’: the abuse case against the Afghan FA president
By Suzanne Wrack, The Guardian

Afghanistan women’s national team players have made detailed allegations to the Guardian of sexual and physical abuse they say they suffered at the hands of the president of the football federation, Keramuudin Karim.

The players, who say they are speaking anonymously because of fears for their or their families’ safety, have made claims ranging from serious sexual and physical assault to harassment and threats to themselves or family members from Karim.

One said Karim put a gun to her head after he punched her in the face and sexually assaulted her in a hidden bedroom accessed from his office, threatening to shoot her and her family if she spoke to the media.

Another claimed Karim threatened, in front of her teammates at training, to cut her tongue after she ran off when being sexually assaulted, and then attempted to remove her clothes on another occasion.

A third player alleged that Karim tried to kiss her neck and lips and that after she ran from the room she was dropped from the national squad and accused of being a lesbian. One of the other players also claims Karim spread a rumour that she was a lesbian.

An investigation was launched and Karim and four other members of the federation (AFF) were suspended by the Attorney General’s Office in Afghanistan, after the Guardian in November published allegations of abuse. Fifa said it was looking into the claims and suspended Karim two weeks ago for 90 days “which may be extended pending proceedings”.

All the allegations have been put by the Guardian to Karim, who has not responded to requests for comment.

One player said she was targeted after training when going to Karim’s office to ask for money to cover transport costs. “I asked for help. He started trying to come closer to me. He said: ‘I want to come closer to you, I want to see your body.’

“I tried to ignore him, I was very polite to him. I said: ‘Listen, I need money for my transportation, I don’t have money. Can you help me? If you can’t, please let me go.’ He said he would help me and told me to wait. I said I wanted to go home. He said: ‘Don’t worry, I will give you money.’

“The president told me to follow him to the next room. So I went with him. I thought he was going to help me. I followed him into the next room. He went into another room and there was another room off that which was very dark. Inside that room there was a door. But you can’t see the door; it looks like the wall, it is hard to see it’s a door. It was open. In there it was like a hotel room, a bedroom with everything inside and a bathroom. He told me to go in. I went in, he was behind me and he locked the door.

“He told me to sit on the bed. I was worried, I was shaking. He said: ‘Today I want to find out what is behind your clothes.’ I was telling him: ‘Leave me alone, I want to go home.’ I stood up and I said I wanted to go home and he said to me: ‘Scream as much as you want, there won’t be anyone hearing you, they can’t hear you.’

“Then he started pushing me towards the bed. I stood up again. I said: ‘Leave me alone, I only came for support, I don’t want it any more, please leave me alone, let me go.’

“He was telling me … that today he would find out if I was a lesbian or not – because I was with girls a lot and I looked a little like a boy.

“I stood up and tried to fight, but he punched me in the face. I fell on to the bed. I tried to rise and go to the door but because the door used his fingerprint it was not possible to open it without his fingerprint. So I couldn’t get out. He punched me on the face and on my mouth. Blood was coming from my nose and lips. He started beating me, I fell on to the bed, and everything went dark …

“When I woke up, all my clothes were gone and there was blood everywhere. I was shaking, I didn’t know what happened to me. The bed was covered in blood, blood was coming from my mouth, nose and vagina. I went to the bathroom. I washed my face and put my clothes on. I went back and said: ‘I will go like this and I will tell the media what happened to me.’

“He took a gun, his gun, put it on my head and said: ‘See what I have done to you? I can shoot you in the head and everywhere will be your brain. And I can do the same with your family. If you want your family to be alive you should keep quiet.’

“Then he threw money at my face and told me to take it and get out. He said he didn’t want to see my face. He opened the door and I left.”

Unable to tell her family what had happened, she made up a sporting injury. “I did not feel well. I found out through friends in the team that the president had spread a rumour that I was a lesbian and that he had caught me with another girl and that is why I was kicked out. That was depressing for me and very dangerous for me.”

Her decision to speak out is not without risk. “I know that my family is in danger and I know they will be when more comes out. But I want to stand and speak about it because of the future of girls. I want girls to have a safe environment.”

She said Karim’s behaviour was widely known inside and outside the squad. “It became acceptable around women’s football, his behaviour.”

Why was it not reported to the authorities? “He has huge power inside the system and inside the government,” she said of Karim, a former governor of Panjshir province and chief of staff in the ministry of defence before he took over the presidency of the AFF in 2004. “No one can stand up against him because he is so powerful … Today the girls can’t raise their voice because they are afraid. They can get killed.”

A second player said she was asked to go to Karim’s office by a member of the federation. “I was not aware of his character,” she said. She claims Karim sat with her on a sofa. “He started talking and flirting with me. He started touching my body and then he tried to kiss me. I started crying, I was scared and I was panicking, I was trying to push him away.”

She says she screamed, attacked him and was able to escape his grasp. For one month, she says, she hid. “I was feeling so weak and I couldn’t share my story. At the same time I was receiving phone calls from the federation and especially from the president, pushing me, pressuring me to come back because it was destroying his image.”

She returned but, she says, her ordeal was far from over. “The president, whenever I was going to training, was coming on to the pitch and in front of everyone saying I was not polite, I talked a lot, and was directly threatening me, saying he would cut my tongue to silence me. He was non-stop abusing me and harassing me.”

One day she says she was early for training at the federation. “I was sitting on the benches waiting for the rest of the team. He saw I was there on the security cameras. He started calling me on the phone. I was ignoring it so he came out himself and told me to come. I had to follow him, there was nothing I could do. I had to cross four doors – he had gone ahead and had me on the phone giving me instructions of where to go.

“After the four doors I was in a bedroom. It was like a five-star hotel with a mirror, modern furniture, a bed, women’s stuff, perfumes and stuff on the drawers. When I got there and saw that I started recalling the stories I had heard … I was scared and I started crying, I thought it was the end of my life.

“The president was naked and was on the bed waiting for me. When I started crying he got up and ran towards me and held me and was trying to pull my scarf and dress away. He was attacking and tearing at my dress. I was crying, I was screaming, I was struggling. I was very lucky. He received a phone call; I started screaming, he pushed me away and tried to silence me but I didn’t stop screaming. He had no choice then and he opened the door. When he opened the door I ran.”

A third player claimed she went to Karim’s office “to get his signature” when her ordeal started. “I was trying to push him away and he was trying to kiss my neck and lips. I was telling him to behave and that he was the age of my grandfather and how could he do it? He told me he didn’t know why I was behaving weird with him, that I was so friendly with him outside.

“I said I thought he was just a friend he was very social, and he told me that ‘Our friendship is having sex at the end’. I said: ‘I hate to even hear these things, let me go.’ I was trying to push him away and I ran from the room.

“The first thing he did was take me off the list of the national team for a training camp abroad. He then was insulting me in front of everyone and accused me of being a lesbian and kicked me out of the federation.”

She claims she witnessed the verbal abuse of the second alleged victim: “She was crying, everyone saw, he was insulting her.”

The investigations and public support from various government officials including the Afghan president, Ashraf Ghani, offer hope, but all three players say trust is low. “I can’t trust the government,” one said. Another claimed: “Karim is a very powerful guy in government. He has a lot of influence and he has money – he can buy people.” She urged Fifa and foreign governments active in Afghanistan to take action.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 27, 2018, 04:19:49 PM »
I'll risk stating the obvious: even if Afghanistan offers to host the MNT, it probably would not be wise to take up the offer. Being charitable with "probably".

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 07, 2019, 10:11:12 AM »
Somebody need to beat dat f**ka to ah frazzle and leave him on the practice pitch with ah dildo in he mowt!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 07, 2019, 03:59:30 PM »
This morning on the radio I heard about R Kelly and his disgusting behavior towards young girls and women, now to read this....it have real sick men in this world. I hope FIFA and the gov't can bring him to justice, no place for that in this world.