March 28, 2024, 01:15:35 PM

Author Topic: FIFA News Thread.  (Read 109293 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA News Thread.
« Reply #240 on: May 29, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
You know what was really crazy to hear at the presser that many MSM ran with, that the money stolen denied young players field, equipment, etc. Coming from the USA that takes balls to say with a straight face.

Thousands of dollars for a young player to experience the game in the US out of their (the young player's) pocket. Many places in the US you can't get a field to play soccer on, and some even if they're are available are controlled by some bureaucratic dad, or you need insurance or some other hurdle that a young player have to navigate to gain access to the game.

The U.S. Model is indeed pay to play but this is so far off base. Why are you stretching so far to promote this conspiracy theory?

This isn't a conspiracy theory. I just find it funny they advocating access to the game when it's less than accessible to many youth in the US.

word...

well there are many movements trying to change this... and it is in the USSF's best interest to do so. They will not soon be world champions with a suburban, minivan driving, playing population

You're so correct. @JOGASC  is trying t make some changes.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 29, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »
JW have files on everyone  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mr is the International man Of Wey Wey! Bussing Mark comes natural. Mr cud grandcharge oui!

Jack eh stupid, Sepp go be he live blanket in jail.

Would love for Jack to drop some serious files on those that pelting mud from they glass houses.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #242 on: May 29, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »
Fifa re-elects Sepp Blatter as president.
BBC Sports.

Sepp Blatter has been re-elected president of Fifa, football's world governing body, in a vote overshadowed by arrests and corruption allegations.

Mr Blatter's rival, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan, withdrew after the first round of voting.

Mr Blatter fell seven short of the two-thirds needed, but Prince Ali opted not to contest further.

Seven top officials were arrested in Switzerland on Wednesday as part of a US prosecution that indicted 14 people.

'Nobody is perfect'

But Mr Blatter hailed his victory, thanking all those who voted from him and his rival, Prince Ali.

Mr Blatter said: "I am not perfect, nobody is perfect, but we will do a good job together I am sure."

He also hinted that this term in office, his fifth, could be his last, saying: "At the end of my term I will give up Fifa in a strong position."

Analysis: Matthew Kenyon, BBC Sport

If you read most of the world's media, Sepp Blatter's ability to hang on to power at Fifa is nothing short of miraculous.

After years of negative headlines, the frenzy has reached fever pitch in the wake of the US allegations of corruption - even though Mr Blatter himself has not been implicated. And running through all this is a theme - bemusement that much of the football world keeps voting for him.

Nowhere is Sepp Blatter's support stronger than across Asia and Africa. So why do most of the representatives from those two continents appear to be voting for him again?

Here's about as succinct an answer as you're going to get - from the president of the Nigerian Football Federation: "Blatter feels Africa. What Blatter pushes is equity, fairness and equality among the nations."

We're talking about two things - the first is concrete investment, often literally so. The second is respect.

In conceding, Prince Ali said: "It's been a wonderful journey... And I want to thank in particular those of you who were brave enough to support me."

Global citizens' movement Avaaz, which started the #BlatterOut campaign, quickly condemned the re-election.

Campaign director Alex Wilks said: "More dirty dealings in Fifa's halls have crushed the hopes of billions of football fans."

The vote took place at Fifa's congress in Zurich. In the first round Mr Blatter won won 133 to Prince Ali's 73, just short of the 140 votes needed for an outright win.

The two candidates had earlier delivered final appeals to the electors.

Prince Ali, 39, said questions had been raised in recent days "about whether our Fifa family is morally bankrupt".

"There are no easy answers and no blame that can be cast that will wash away the stain that marks us all," he said.

Mr Blatter declared: "I am being held accountable for the current storm - so be it, I will shoulder the responsibility. I will take it upon myself and I want to fix Fifa together with you."

To applause from a large number of delegates, he said: "I would like to stay with you. I would like to continue with you."

Swiss inquiry

The vote comes two days after seven top officials were held in Zurich in a US fraud inquiry that indicted 14 people.

They are accused of bribery, racketeering and money-laundering involving tens of millions of dollars since 1991.

The aim of the bribes was to influence the outcome of bids to stage football tournaments such as the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and the 2016 Copa America in the US, prosecutors say.

Swiss prosecutors have launched a separate investigation into the bidding process for the World Cup tournaments in 2018 in Russia and 2022 in Qatar.

Many of Fifa's major sponsors, including Coca-Cola, Visa, Adidas, McDonald's, Hyundai Motor and Budweiser, have expressed concern over the investigations.

After Mr Blatter was re-elected, Coca-Cola said in a statement that Fifa "must now seize the opportunity to begin winning back the trust it has lost".

'Movement for change'

Michel Platini, president of the European football governing body Uefa, praised Prince Ali.

"I am proud that Uefa has defended and supported a movement for change at Fifa - change which, in my opinion, is crucial if this organisation is to regain its credibility," he said.

Mr Platini had called on Mr Blatter to resign on Thursday.

Greg Dyke, the chairman of the English Football Association, told the BBC: "Sepp Blatter has run this organisation for 16 years, and for all of those 16 years, there have been levels of corruption.

"Sepp Blatter is not the man who is going to be able to change that."

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »

Mr is the International man Of Wey Wey! Bussing Mark comes natural. Mr cud grandcharge oui!

Would love for Jack to drop some serious files on those that pelting mud from they glass houses.

agree.. bring everything to light!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 29, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »

agree.. bring everything to light!

CO-SIGN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 29, 2015, 02:54:43 PM »
JW had me rolling ...

"...sweetheart" ... "I'll say it slowly ..."  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 29, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MSG5fi2XntM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MSG5fi2XntM</a>
Thought this mug was suffering from exhaustion???? Another lie Teflon Warner
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »
JW had me rolling ...

"...sweetheart" ... "I'll say it slowly ..."  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

lol Yeah, that interview was kicks. Se wasn't ready at all.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »
"......you who's English should know this better than I do,......I who's from the Caribbean shouldn't have to tell you that."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 30, 2015, 01:31:54 AM »
This probably still won't satisfy the conspiracy theorists...

WASHINGTON — Chuck Blazer was a powerful figure in international soccer, and he enjoyed the trappings that came with the role: two apartments at Trump Tower in Manhattan, expensive cars, luxury properties in Miami and the Bahamas.

But for all of Mr. Blazer’s lavish living, he did not file personal income tax returns. And in August 2011, Steve Berryman, an I.R.S. agent in Los Angeles, opened a criminal investigation.

------------------

The American government’s aggressive move shocked the soccer world and led to questions about whether the United States had set out on a mission to topple the leadership of FIFA, which has long been troubled by allegations of corruption. But officials at the Justice Department, the F.B.I. and the I.R.S. said the impetus was criminal activity and organized crime that just happened to occur in the soccer world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/sports/soccer/more-indictments-expected-in-fifa-case-irs-official-says.html?_r=0

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2015, 12:28:16 PM »
This probably still won't satisfy the conspiracy theorists...

WASHINGTON — Chuck Blazer was a powerful figure in international soccer, and he enjoyed the trappings that came with the role: two apartments at Trump Tower in Manhattan, expensive cars, luxury properties in Miami and the Bahamas.

But for all of Mr. Blazer’s lavish living, he did not file personal income tax returns. And in August 2011, Steve Berryman, an I.R.S. agent in Los Angeles, opened a criminal investigation.

------------------

The American government’s aggressive move shocked the soccer world and led to questions about whether the United States had set out on a mission to topple the leadership of FIFA, which has long been troubled by allegations of corruption. But officials at the Justice Department, the F.B.I. and the I.R.S. said the impetus was criminal activity and organized crime that just happened to occur in the soccer world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/sports/soccer/more-indictments-expected-in-fifa-case-irs-official-says.html?_r=0

They started investigating after the US bid was rejected.  The conspiracy still has legs.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 30, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »
They started investigating after the US bid was rejected.  The conspiracy still has legs.

Right... so the US was upset that they lost the 2022 bid, and so the IRS decided to investigate Chuck Blazer (an American who ostensibly supported the US' bid), in the hopes that they could bring him down, and in the process get him to give evidence against FIFA?  Why would they have had reason to suspect Blazer was doing anything criminal that they could hem him up and pin their revenge hopes on?

Doh worry... it doesn't make sense.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 30, 2015, 12:52:44 PM »

Right... so the US was upset that they lost the 2022 bid, and so the IRS decided to investigate Chuck Blazer (an American who ostensibly supported the US' bid), in the hopes that they could bring him down, and in the process get him to give evidence against FIFA?  Why would they have had reason to suspect Blazer was doing anything criminal that they could hem him up and pin their revenge hopes on?

Doh worry... it doesn't make sense.

Dude, Blazer was the low hanging fruit.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 30, 2015, 01:04:02 PM »
All who feel Blazer did not pocket some nice coin from that bid process, raise yuh hand.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 30, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »

All who feel Blazer did not pocket some nice coin from that bid process, raise yuh hand.

Both of these are immaterial to the question at hand... whether this entire investigation was contrived as payback for the US not winning the WC bid.  It doesn't even pass the bullshit test.  Since when does the US government give two shits about "soccer" to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours and all that manpower... just to get revenge on FIFA.  It would have been an incredible shot in the dark... searching a barn full of haystacks in the hopes that you find one needle.

That seriously make sense to the two ah allyuh? If allyuh could honestly answer "yes" then no scene, we could stop wasting each other's time.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 30, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »
in possibly related news, didnt russia ban visa from business in russia recently?

==

What would happen if Europe, U.S. and Argentina boycott the World Cup?
By Ronald Blum, The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- What would happen if Sepp Blatter hosts a World Cup and most of Europe, several South American powers and the United States don't show up?

Blatter was voted to a fifth term as FIFA president on Friday, but the governing bodies of soccer's wealthiest region, the world's biggest economy and several nations in soccer-crazed South America opposed him following a string of scandals.

As the 79-year-old was celebrating defeating Jordan's Prince Ali bin al-Hussein 133-73 for another four-year term, his opposition was figuring out how to pressure him for change.

The Union of European Football Associations could threaten what's become known as soccer's nuclear option: prominent nations breaking away and holding their own tournament, call it a Clean Cup. At FIFA's World Cup qualifying draw on July 25 in St. Petersburg, Russia, there could be scores of empty seats in the Constantine Palace.

"Blatter's supporters are Vladimir Putin, the invader; the Qatari government and their supposed slave employees to build the facilities; and about 80 or 90 tiny countries that he has given each one a vote and a ton of money to," said Marc Ganis, president of Chicago-based consulting firm SportsCorp.

"He needs to be careful not to overplay his hand," Ganis said. "He was given an opportunity to do what he said, which is reform FIFA. If he uses that opportunity to extract retribution against those who are opposed to him, he's setting up a confrontation that if it goes all the way to the end, he can't win. He's never demonstrated that level of ignorance, so I don't expect that he will do so."

With a one-nation, one-vote system, Blatter has support of a majority of FIFA's 209 nations. But most of the world's best clubs, the strongest economies and the most lucrative television audiences are in countries that want Blatter out

FIFA's $5.72 billion in revenue from 2011-14 included $4.23 billion from last year's World Cup in Brazil -- of which $2.43 billion was generated by television rights sales and $1.58 billion from marketing agreements.

The majority of FIFA's money came from deals in Europe and the United States, where governments -- other than Russia -- are pressing for reform.

Visa has threatened to "reassess our sponsorship" if changes are not made. The Coca-Cola Co. expressed concern, saying the controversy "tarnished the mission and ideals" of the World Cup.

"They do have tremendous leverage, but it remains to be seen whether they have legal grounds to abrogate their deals," said former CBS Sports President Neal Pilson, who runs a media consulting firm.

UEFA President Michel Platini, the former French national team star, did not applaud Blatter after the election. He said before the vote UEFA would be "open to all options" if Blatter gained re-election, and UEFA will meet in Berlin ahead of the Champions League final on June 6.

Europe supplies 13 of the 32 teams for the World Cup (plus Russia as the host in 2018), and UEFA holds eight of the 25 voting seats on FIFA's executive committee. Blatter said after his victory that FIFA "must have a better representation of the confederations and the number of members" on the executive committee. "We need more respect for the Oceanian confederation," he added.

"The Solomon Islands are going to have a spot? But Germany, nah, not so much?" Ganis said. "Sepp Blatter can get 140 votes from the Trinidad and Tobagos of the world, these island nations whose FIFA representative is one of the wealthiest persons on the island in part because he's the FIFA representative. And he'll be able to hold onto power as long as he wants in part because of the voting process."

FIFA could be headed toward an internal fight, much as college sports in the United States went through last year when the NCAA -- the body that oversees competition -- agreed to give its five biggest conferences greater autonomy.

"FIFA World Cup" is trademarked, but if UEFA boycotts the tournament or breaks away from FIFA, and it is backed by the United States and South America's top powers, the World Cup would be about as interesting as the African Cup of Nations or the Asian Cup.

Blatter downplayed the possibility.

"They need FIFA, and FIFA needs UEFA," he said Saturday.

But would television networks and sponsors pay all that money for an audience to watch 97th-ranked Malawi play No. 99 Qatar?

What if UEFA told European clubs -- which have the best players from around the world -- to ignore FIFA's regulations and refuse to release players to national teams for World Cup qualifiers?

"This isn't over by any means," England Football Association chairman Greg Dyke said.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:33:47 AM by Flex »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 30, 2015, 01:38:02 PM »
Much closer to being a possibility than people might think... there's is already action afoot.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »

Both of these are immaterial to the question at hand... whether this entire investigation was contrived as payback for the US not winning the WC bid.  It doesn't even pass the bullshit test.  Since when does the US government give two shits about "soccer" to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours and all that manpower... just to get revenge on FIFA.  It would have been an incredible shot in the dark... searching a barn full of haystacks in the hopes that you find one needle.

That seriously make sense to the two ah allyuh? If allyuh could honestly answer "yes" then no scene, we could stop wasting each other's time.

Trying to turn up dirt on CONCACAF heads is a shot in the dark?
It's more like a shot in the dark into a full barrel of fish.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »

Let's try and follow the logic here... each ExCo member votes for which country hosts the WC.  Chuck Blazer voted for the US to host the WC.  So therefore, what would be the logic in starting the inquiry with Blazer, an American?  It would make a little bit more sense if they started by looking at Jack Warner... but the Americans were so aggrieved that they didn't get the WC that they started looking at one of their own who voted for them.  How much sense that makes?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:20:51 PM by Bakes »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 30, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »
Sometimes orthodox thought defies how things actually work. To deny that there is any nexus between where things stand today vis-a-vis FIFA, FIFA constituents, and the global political environment is to negate the confluence of overlapping interests that permeates how affairs are conducted privately, but denied publicly in preserving and promoting the national interest.

No dialectic of logic need point to conspiracy in its fullness, nonetheless cooperating incremental actions "conspire" to achieve shared interests across borders. Where things stand today is not solely rooted in puritanical objectives - although elements of the law enforcement community were, and are, merely doing their jobs. The limits of long-arm jurisdiction only partially explain the selective opprobrium to corrupt practices that we have witnessed presently.

Not all fish are pursued with the same zeal. Any fisherman knows that. Indeed, some fish are tossed back into the water. Total and comprehensive action need not occur for the national interest to be satisfied. All that's required is action sufficient to preserve the national interest.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:59:59 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2015, 11:13:09 PM »

Let's try and follow the logic here... each ExCo member votes for which country hosts the WC.  Chuck Blazer voted for the US to host the WC.  So therefore, what would be the logic in starting the inquiry with Blazer, an American?  It would make a little bit more sense if they started by looking at Jack Warner... but the Americans were so aggrieved that they didn't get the WC that they started looking at one of their own who voted for them.  How much sense that makes?

Getting at Blazer is a means of getting at Jack Warner and the others.
Every account of how the feds accosted Blazer mentions that they wanted his help with a broader investigation.
So right from the beginning it was not about Blazer.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2015, 12:57:22 AM »
Every account of how the feds accosted Blazer mentions that they wanted his help with a broader investigation.

Incorrect.  Every account mentions that Blazer offered to name others within FIFA in effort to reduce the penalties which he faced.  The feds didn't solicit his help, he offered to squeal.  He was more than willing to squeal because Jack had even started robbing him and all... notably by pocketing the $10 million bribe from S. Africa and not paying him the $1 million he was promised.  There is no evidence that the feds even knew of criminal conduct within FIFA, let alone know of the scale in which it was taking place.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2015, 08:52:03 AM »
Much closer to being a possibility than people might think... there's is already action afoot.

I hope they break away.  I'm tired of the FIFA BS.... :yellowcard:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2015, 09:51:35 AM »

More realistically, if he's not indicted I think we'll see Blatter either forced out or marginalized.  Too much is at stake.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »

More realistically, if he's not indicted I think we'll see Blatter either forced out or marginalized.  Too much is at stake.

That man have real gall to run again....oh gosh man....dem just eh know when to pack up and ride out....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »
ESPN Documentary on Sepp Blatter and FIFA......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GckIxZo_wgA
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2015, 11:47:04 AM »

Incorrect.  Every account mentions that Blazer offered to name others within FIFA in effort to reduce the penalties which he faced.  The feds didn't solicit his help, he offered to squeal.  He was more than willing to squeal because Jack had even started robbing him and all... notably by pocketing the $10 million bribe from S. Africa and not paying him the $1 million he was promised.  There is no evidence that the feds even knew of criminal conduct within FIFA, let alone know of the scale in which it was taking place.

NY Daily News in November 1, 2014
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/soccer-rat-ex-u-s-soccer-exec-chuck-blazer-fbi-informant-article-1.1995761

“We can take you away in handcuffs now — or you can cooperate,” one of the agents allegedly told Blazer.

There's more than 1 interpretation of that.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2015, 02:58:23 PM »
FIFA-Gate: Costa Rica football federation says US 'mistaken' in Eduardo Li wire fraud allegation
Zach Dyer (Tico Times News)

The leadership of Costa Rican football has circled the wagons around their embattled president, Eduardo Li, after Li was arrested in Zurich, Switzerland, Wednesday on charges of racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering.

Jorge Hidalgo, acting president of the Costa Rican Football Federation, FEDEFÚTBOL, told the website Amelia Rueda that U.S. prosecutors are “mistaken,” and that there was nothing inappropriate about a $27,500 wire transfer cited in the indictment as proof of wrongdoing.

The indictment unsealed in Brooklyn, New York, on Wednesday alleged that Li and the sports marketing company Traffic Sports USA conspired in a scheme that involved offering and accepting bribes, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, and money laundering to grant exclusive commercial rights to World Cup qualifying games for the Costa Rican national football team, la Sele. Li allegedly asked for a six-figure bribe as part of the negotiations with Traffic Sports USA.

Hidalgo said that the $27,500 was part of a regular payment made by Traffic Sports USA to FEDEFÚTBOL according to the contract negotiated by Li granting the company exclusive broadcast rights to Sele games leading up to the 2018 World Cup.

“This is neither a bribe nor has the Federation issued a check to Eduardo,” Hidalgo told AmeliaRueda.com

The acting FEDEFÚTBOL president said they have requested receipts of the transfers from Costa Rica’s Banco Lafise. On Thursday, officers from the Judicial Investigation Police arrived at the San Rafael Proyecto Gol, the FEDEFÚTBOL headquarters and training facility, where they were shown a copy of the Traffic Sports USA contract signed by Li.

“It’s obvious that the American authorities were mistaken,” Hidalgo said.

Costa Rica’s Acting Deputy Prosecutor Celso Gamboa announced Wednesday that the Prosecutor’s Office would open a criminal probe into possible money laundering related to the alleged bribery scheme.

But security analyst Paul Chaves had harsh words for any money laundering investigation in Costa Rica related to the FIFA scandal.

“It’s useless; a waste of time,” Chaves told The Tico Times.

The analyst said that successful money laundering prosecutions are rare in Costa Rica, and furthermore, the country’s penal code is outdated at providing tools to prosecute illicit money flows.

“The largest money laundering operation in the world was operating out of here and investigators had no clue,” Chaves said, referring to the $6 billion Liberty Reserve case in May 2013.

Costa Rica cleared the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development tax haven blacklist in 2011. OECD reported at the time that Costa Rica’s fiscal transparency practices met international standards. Following the Liberty Reserve case, however, the country was once again listed as a tax haven by the French government in 2013.

Sponsors so far have not abandoned FEDEFÚTBOL, according [to] the newspaper La República, in a story on Thursday. Among the federation’s sponsors are Plycem Cement, Coca-Cola FEMSA, and Hyundai.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2015, 03:04:04 PM »
FIFA scandal: Costa Rica opens money laundering probe of Eduardo Li
David Boddiger (Tico Times News)

Following the early-morning arrest Wednesday of several FIFA leaders, including Costa Rican Eduardo Li, in a massive corruption probe spearheaded by the United States Justice Department, Costa Rica has now opened an inquiry into Li’s assets here, a high-ranking Costa Rican justice official told The Tico Times.

According to Celso Gamboa, acting deputy at Costa Rica’s Prosecutor’s Office, the U.S. Justice Department is collaborating with Costa Rican prosecutors in the ongoing probe in order to determine if any crimes were committed in Costa Rica.

“Most of today’s events occurred outside Costa Rica’s jurisdiction, but it is our responsibility to follow up on that and find out if any crimes were committed here,” Gamboa told The Tico Times, referring to Li’s arrest in Zurich.

Costa Rican investigators are now studying properties, bank accounts and other assets linked to Li, he said.

If Li was discovered to have committed any crimes here related to the case, the U.S. likely would have the first opportunity to extradite and prosecute him.

Li, the president of the Costa Rican Football Federation and a FIFA executive committee member was arrested along with six other FIFA officials at a luxury hotel in Zurich where they were preparing for a congress starting Thursday. All now face deportation to the United States on charges of accepting more than $100 million in bribes.

A spokeswoman for Costa Rica’s Foreign Ministry, Melissa Durán, confirmed that the Costa Rica Embassy in Switzerland so far has been unable to contact Li. Costa Rican Ambassador to Switzerland Isabel Montero currently is establishing contact with the Cantonal Police Precint in Zurich, where Li has been in custody since Wednesday morning.

Foreign Vice Minister Alejandro Solano said officials also are in conversations with judicial authorities in Zurich to determine the implications of the charges against Li, brought by U.S. officials.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »

"But I get to keep my job, right?" ... Wanchope inquiring about his job security in light of Li's arrest.

1]; } ?>