March 28, 2024, 01:51:27 PM

Author Topic: FIFA News Thread.  (Read 109294 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA News Thread.
« Reply #300 on: June 02, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
Again, calling out :bs: is not hating.

You fail to address my post before this one though.

If the US had gotten 2018/2022 this investigation would not have seen the light of day......at least not in this century.

What b.s. are you calling out though?  Everything you've been bitching about either doesn't make sense or doesn't apply.  There's nothing to "address"... if the US had gotten either of the WCs Blazer would have still run afoul of the IRS and the investigation into Russian organized crime would still have proceeded, therefore setting in motion this chain of events.  But of course all of that is just pretext to bring down FIFA, right?

You deluded yes.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 02, 2015, 11:22:38 AM »
All I expect is that some new scamp comes along who is less brazen with the tiefin.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 02, 2015, 11:23:40 AM »
SEPP BLATTER TO RESIGN - BREAKING NEWS

Story to be updated. Live press conference

http://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2015/jun/02/fifa-calls-press-conference-amid-latest-corruption-claims-live

Sepp Blatter moments ago: “I will organise extraordinary congress for a replacement for me as president. I will not stand. I am now free from the constraints of an election. I will be in a position to focus on profound reforms. For many years we have called for reforms. But these are not sufficient.”

“We need a limitation on mandates and terms of office. I have fought for these changes but my efforts have been counteracted.” (Five terms in office)

New election to be sometime between December 2015 and March 2016

So does this mean he's NOT attending the Women's World Cup here in Canada?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 02, 2015, 11:26:26 AM »
Well there was no way in this world he would last 4 years but 4 or 5 days was a lot shorter than I was thinking, especially as he was back to his usual arrogant self at the weekend and acting untouchable again.  Something is coming / going on and I don't think it is good news for him.  The house needs a big cleaning anyway and FIFA will be unrecognisable after this has all finished, lets hope its all for the better.    The real fun starts now, I just heard that FIFA / various officials are under investigation by at least 33 different agencies around the world.  Everyone knows how bent it is I am just surprised they have got away with it for so long, I wonder how many sponsors have threatened to pull the plug the last few days?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 02, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »
Blatter should of gotten hired by Goldman Sachs or Lehman Brothers he would have been safe then.  :devil:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 02, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
Sepp Blatter to Resign as FIFA President (New York Times)

By SAM BORDEN

JUNE 2, 2015

Photo

Sepp Blatter said FIFA was in need of "a structural change of profound nature." Credit Ruben Sprich/Reuters

Sepp Blatter said Tuesday that he would resign from the presidency of FIFA in the wake of a corruption inquiry, an extraordinary turn just four days after he was re-elected and defiantly insisted that he was blameless and committed to cleaning up the organization.

Mr. Blatter, 79, said he would ask FIFA to schedule a new election for his replacement as soon as possible. The next FIFA congress is May 2016, but he acknowledged that the organization could not wait long for new leadership given the current situation.

At a brief, hastily convened news conference in Zurich, Mr. Blatter said that “FIFA needs a profound restructuring.”

“I appreciate and love FIFA more than anything else,” he said. “And I only want to do the best for FIFA.” Mr. Blatter declined to take questions after his remarks.

Mr. Blatter is regarded as the most powerful executive in sports, ruling FIFA autocratically while brushing off frequent accusations that the organization was corrupt. He has worked for FIFA since 1975, and has been president since 1998.

Domenico Scala of Italy, who leads the FIFA audit and compliance committee, will take the lead in managing the handover. He said reforms would include “fundamental changes” to the way FIFA is structured. Mr. Blatter who was re-elected to his post just Friday, 133-73, said he would serve until a new election.

Mr. Blatter has been praised for extending soccer’s reach to less developed nations and raising the profile of the women’s game. But he has been dodging scandals almost from the moment he was elected.

Earlier Tuesday, FIFA responded to an article by The New York Times linking Jérôme Valcke, FIFA’s secretary general, to payments made in 2008 that investigators believe amounted to $10 million in bribes. FIFA said in a statement that the payments, which are at the center of a United States Department of Justice investigation that led to a 47-count indictment against soccer officials and sports marketing executives, were approved in 2007 by Julio Grondona. Mr. Grondona, who was the chairman of FIFA’s finance committee at the time, died last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/sports/soccer/sepp-blatter-to-resign-as-fifa-president.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:39:44 AM by Bakes »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #306 on: June 02, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »
woohoo!

SEPP BLATTER TO RESIGN - BREAKING NEWS

Story to be updated. Live press conference

http://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2015/jun/02/fifa-calls-press-conference-amid-latest-corruption-claims-live

Sepp Blatter moments ago: “I will organise extraordinary congress for a replacement for me as president. I will not stand. I am now free from the constraints of an election. I will be in a position to focus on profound reforms. For many years we have called for reforms. But these are not sufficient.”

“We need a limitation on mandates and terms of office. I have fought for these changes but my efforts have been counteracted.” (Five terms in office)

New election to be sometime between December 2015 and March 2016

TO RESIGN means that he hasn't resigned yet and is still FIFA President. All he has done so far is promise to resign with new elections to be sometime between December 2015 and March 2016.

He needs a few months before the extraordinary congress to clean up and shred a few things

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:05 AM »
 ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:19 AM »
Much closer to being a possibility than people might think... there's is already action afoot.

More realistically, if he's not indicted I think we'll see Blatter either forced out or marginalized.  Too much is at stake.

You deluded yes.

Yes, I deluded.  As I said, much more going on behind the scenes than people realize, and none of it is this conspiracy nonsense people like you spouting.  If you had any idea as to how difficult it is to marshall the effort and resources just to investigate something along this scope, let alone to try and build a criminal case from speculation (which is what the conspiracy would require), then you wouldn't be singing the "revenge" song yuh singing.  Football just isn't a big enough of a priority for the snub to register on a large enough scale or the DOJ to get involved.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 02, 2015, 11:52:01 AM »
I'm wondering if this is the only way he can handpick a successor

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
with all this going on and sepp getting what was comin to him, there seems to be a fear that that if some have their way d world cup will spend the next few years being hosted by western europe and d states for d next few editions..........even maybe stripping Qatar and Russia of the next two editions.......even with all d bribery and shit dat went down, would dat be a good idea ??? ??? ???
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
TO RESIGN means that he hasn't resigned yet and is still FIFA President. All he has done so far is promise to resign with new elections to be sometime between December 2015 and March 2016.

It will take some time before new elections can be held, despite what he's saying he's already on his way out, most likely before the month is out, and an interim President will be named until the elections.  Valcke is actually one of the good guys, but the link to the $10 million payment tars him (innocently) and is what will in the end prove to be Blatter's undoing.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 02, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
F
with all this going on and sepp getting what was comin to him, there seems to be a fear that that if some have their way d world cup will spend the next few years being hosted by western europe and d states for d next few editions..........even maybe stripping Qatar and Russia of the next two editions.......even with all d bribery and shit dat went down, would dat be a good idea ??? ??? ???

From a purely selfish perspective I want the US to get the 2018 WC.  More likely is that there will be a re-bidding process, either that or the UK/US will be awarded the 2022 WC and Russia will be allowed to host the 2018 Cup.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 02, 2015, 12:06:41 PM »
F

From a purely selfish perspective I want the US to get the 2018 WC.  More likely is that there will be a re-bidding process, either that or the UK/US will be awarded the 2022 WC and Russia will be allowed to host the 2018 Cup.

Seriously I in that boat. I think it's unbalanced how they applied "justice" but FIFA had it coming.

I would love to attend a WC by driving a couple hours...maybe.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 02, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
F

You know if Russia is denied the world cup it could have dire world wide political consequences and it could have to added effect of making Putin stronger as his mantra would be they don't like Russians and Russians may rally around that making Russia more anti-western and isolationist.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 02, 2015, 12:15:09 PM »

No, it wouldn't be a good idea. Despite the fact that nobody really wants to travel to Qatar and Russia is too close to a conflict zone.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 02, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
Yes, I deluded.  As I said, much more going on behind the scenes than people realize, and none of it is this conspiracy nonsense people like you spouting.  If you had any idea as to how difficult it is to marshall the effort and resources just to investigate something along this scope, let alone to try and build a criminal case from speculation (which is what the conspiracy would require), then you wouldn't be singing the "revenge" song yuh singing.  Football just isn't a big enough of a priority for the snub to register on a large enough scale or the DOJ to get involved.

Bakes given the above line of thinking then they are looking for bigger fish to fry and just makes me wonder if those fish are American.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 02, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »
How do you go about nullifying the 2022 allocation to allow a re-bid? What criteria do you use to showing voting/allocation was done through collusion?

Can't see Qatar sitting idly by and letting that happen - think Mastercard vs FIFA/Visa.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #318 on: June 02, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »
Sepp Blatter to resign as Fifa president amid corruption scandal.
BBC Sports.

Sepp Blatter says he will resign as president of football's governing body Fifa amid a corruption scandal.
In announcing his exit, the 79-year-old Swiss has called an extraordinary Fifa congress "as soon as possible" to elect a new president.

Blatter was re-elected last week, despite seven top Fifa officials being arrested two days before the vote as part of a US prosecution.

But he said: "My mandate does not appear to be supported by everybody."

Blatter, who has been Fifa president since 1998, added: "The next ordinary Fifa congress will take place on 13 May, 2016 in Mexico City.

"This would create unnecessary delay and I will urge the executive committee to organise an extraordinary congress for the election of my successor at the earliest opportunity.

"This will need to be done in line with Fifa's statutes and we must allow enough time for the best candidates to present themselves and to campaign."

The extraordinary congress is expected to take place between December 2015 and March 2016.

Fifa was rocked last week by the arrests on charges of racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering as part of a US prosecution that also indicted 14 people.

The latest allegations of corruption to emerge on Tuesday involved reports claiming Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke was responsible for an alleged $10m (£6m) payment of bribes over South Africa's bid to host the 2010 World Cup.

A separate criminal investigation by Swiss authorities into how the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were allocated is also under way.

"I am very much linked to Fifa and its interests. Those interests are dear to me and this is why I am taking this decision," said Blatter.

"What counts most to me is the institute of Fifa and football around the world.

"I have thoroughly considered and thought about my presidency and the last 40 years in my life.

"These years were closely related to Fifa and the wonderful sport of football. I appreciate and love Fifa more than anything else.

"I only want to do the best for Fifa and my institution. I decided to stand again as the best option for football. The elections are closed but the challenges we face haven't come to an end."

Michel Platini, the president of European football's governing body Uefa, urged Blatter not to stand for re-election and to quit following the arrests in Switzerland.

"It was a difficult decision, a brave decision, and the right decision," said Platini after Blatter stated his intention to step down.

The English Football Association has been vociferous in its criticism of Blatter.

"This is great news for football. It should have happened years ago," FA chairman Greg Dyke told the BBC.

"The timetable doesn't matter. There has to be a root and branch investigation of Fifa. It has all got to be transparent in the future."

England lost out to Russia in the bidding for the 2018 World Cup.

And Simon Johnson, who led England's 2018 bid, told BBC 5 live: "I want the full facts around the bidding to be known and published. I want there to be openness and transparency.

"If everybody won it because of a fair fight and everything was fair and objective and transparent then good, well done.

"If it wasn't, if it was found there was improper behaviour in any way by any of the winning bidders then Fifa must have a look at whether they should re-open the process.

"I think 2018 will go ahead. The preliminary draw for the Russia World Cup is a few weeks away and it's too late to change that, but 2022 is another matter."

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 02, 2015, 12:32:48 PM »
I think what they will say is that in the interest of fairplay and transparency and the current allegations and indictments associated with the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups we must revisit the vote and hold a new one....

I only hope Platini doesn't become FIFA President

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 02, 2015, 12:33:16 PM »
Platini should NOT become FIFA president!

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 02, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »
Shaka Hislop discusses Sepp Blatter’s resignation
http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/4/video/2476631
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 02, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »

No, it wouldn't be a good idea. Despite the fact that nobody really wants to travel to Qatar and Russia is too close to a conflict zone.

this is what I thinkin and I agree with everybody else...would definately tried to go ah WC in d states too.......but I tink it will be a very bad idea to take d russian one in particular....cyah see dat endin well....if it happen.....d scary ting is I could see d states pushin for dat.....hope ah wrong doh
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 02, 2015, 12:50:43 PM »

Nonetheless, the complexity ... of investigation, building the case, mounting litigation etc. constitutes only a partial explanation, not a complete rendering.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:53:24 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 02, 2015, 12:58:14 PM »
I actually hope Platini becomes Fifa president. He has shown that he is committed to growing the game. What we don't want is a president who is too eurocentric. Platini has drawn a hard line against the big clubs who are attempting to take over world football. Do you know how much players have to go through to play for their national teams in international breaks. Wenger called the copa america meaningless last week, imagine how European managers feel about T&T and the gold cup.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 02, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »

Why he should not run for the position ? Not that I want him to be elected.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 02, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »

Why he should not run for the position? Not that I want him to be elected.

If he runs, he runs. No issue with a Platini candidacy. Although if he does not stand for election then he cyah win. Platini has exercised a selective, occasionally convenient political reading of when to engage Blatter. Let him get behind Prince Ali (who I also don't think should become president).

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 02, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »

It will take some time before new elections can be held, despite what he's saying he's already on his way out, most likely before the month is out, and an interim President will be named until the elections.  Valcke is actually one of the good guys, but the link to the $10 million payment tars him (innocently) and is what will in the end prove to be Blatter's undoing.

There are no good boys in FIFA.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #328 on: June 02, 2015, 01:46:20 PM »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 02, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
There are no good boys in FIFA.

There are lots of good people in FIFA, don't believe the hype.

1]; } ?>