April 30, 2024, 01:18:11 PM

Author Topic: As U20s get ready for competition...Meet Aaron Downing.  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
As U20s get ready for competition...Meet Aaron Downing.
« on: October 17, 2006, 03:53:58 PM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

As a new generation of this country’s footballers get ready to be unleashed on the public, there’s one little player who has already tasted the same surroundings that Russell Latapy is accustomed to in Scotland. And now, two years later, with a break foot injury behind him, Aaron Downing wants to lead his teammates to higher heights as they go after a place in the FIFA World Youth Championship 2007 in Canada.

Next Wednesday, T&T’s Under 20 footballers take on Dominican Republic in the first match of the second round Caribbean Football Union (CFU)  qualifying phase and Downing has quickly become an integral part of the team which made its debut before local fans in a 4-0 win over Barbados at the Hasely Crawford Stadium last Wednesday.

Downing, known for his deft touches, good vision and persistent charges towards goal, went to Scotland after initial discussions with Russell Latapy and W Connection two years ago. There he impressed during a trial which subsequently led to a recall and a possible contract. But sadly, on his return to Trinidad, he sustained a broken foot injury in a Pro League Under 20 Final against San Juan Jabloteh the day before his scheduled return to Falkirk. A lengthy time on the sidelines followed before Downing began to catch himself on the pitch again and is talent and ability has not gone unnoticed by coach Brian Williams. He may not yet be back to his best but the youngster from St Margarets Village, Claxton Bay is ready to try himself on the international stage.

Q&A with Aaron Downing

What are your feelings on having worked yourself back into the national set up and playing your debut game for the National Youth Team against Barbados?
I really wanted to play with any national team. That was my main goal. Before I broke my foot, I was on the National Under 17 team. I made the team and after the trip to Falkirk, then the setback came with the injury. But now I am back and I am looking at this selection as a stepping stone. My goal is to make the senior team now.

Tell us a bit about your past.
I have been playing seven years for W Connection. And how did it start? It started when by dad Hilton took me to a screening session with W Connection at the Under 14 level. The coaches saw me. Really, the first person to spot me was Denise Wickham who was in charge of the screening at that age group and she encouraged the other coaches to come and see me. I also went to Couva Junior Secondary before I  transferred to Naparima College. I played like four games there before going to Falkirk. I spent 14 days there and the coaches liked what they saw. Russell Latapy was the coach involved with the youth teams and he spoke to me from day one and made me relax. He said “Don’t be scared. Just play your natural football”. He coached me through the period. But then on my return home I got the injury. I think they are looking to set up another deal.

Who’s your favourite local and international player?
Andre Toussaint. He is one of the best things in our football right now. I like Ronaldinho too. And what about the Soca Warriors?  Well other than Russell and the little I saw of him and have been hearing of him, I also like Kenwyne Jones.

What have Soca Warriors done to inspire you?
They have showed me that almost anything is possible through football. A small country like us can go to the World Cup and hold up against a big team like England and get a draw with Sweden. These guys have been a big inspiration to players like myself.

Do you think yourself and others are doing enough to nurture your talent as footballers or is there more room for work?
Well there is always more room for work and improvement. As a player like myself everyday you try to learn something new. You try to open your mind to bigger things and more players need to see it this way.

What’s your personal training regime like? And not just what goes on at W Connection?
I live in St Margarets Village (Claxton Bay) so everyday I go jogging to the high way and back. The training at Connection takes place from 6 am in the morning and then sometimes we also train in the evening as well. The whole day for me is about football.

What’s the experience like as a young professional at W Connection? What’s the difference with our football here and say that of Falkirk?
The experience at Connection is a good one. The coaches are there and they work with us. Out in Scotland – that’s the big stage. There’s a big difference because they have the better facilities and they are very serious about their football. They groom the players from a very young age and everyone is serious about it. Here we have persons who just see it as coming for a sweat. Across in Scotland, that’s the job… it’s their life.

Your immediate and long term goals?
I want to keep playing professional at the highest level possible, do as good as possible for the National Under 20 team and then of course make it to the Senior Team and take it from there.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 06:56:11 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: As U20s get ready for competition...Meet Aaron Downing.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 08:12:32 PM »
Thanks nice interview. Where them games playin?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 08:45:50 PM »
Wish him all the best!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:23:54 AM »
I hope he can get that retrial with Falkirk
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 09:55:56 AM »
I hope he can get that retrial with Falkirk
I wonder who is his agent
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:12:06 AM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Q&A with Aaron Downing

What’s the experience like as a young professional at W Connection? What’s the difference with our football here and say that of Falkirk?

Here we have persons who just see it as coming for a sweat. Across in Scotland, that’s the job… it’s their life.

This is what stands out to me.
Toujour Pret!

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
where he playing now and what bout shai Prescott 
football in meh veins football in meh blood

1]; } ?>