April 26, 2024, 02:20:33 PM

Author Topic: Cech out for 6mths, big Sam offers help  (Read 2787 times)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Cech out for 6mths, big Sam offers help
« on: October 16, 2006, 06:44:51 AM »
This is real pressure.  This will make our victory over barcelona a little more difficult, but it will be sweeter!! Nice gesture from Sam.

www.skysports.com

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has offered to help Chelsea solve their goalkeeping problems.

Chelsea have a goalkeeping crisis on their hands after Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini both picked up knocks in Saturday's win at Reading.

Cech faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines after undergoing surgery for a fractured skull, while Cudicini's problem is not thought to be too serious.

Cudicini is expected to be out of action for up to ten days after suffering concussion.

Both goalkeepers are set to miss Wednesday's UEFA Champions League clash with Barcelona leaving Chelsea with Henrique Hilario as their only recognised goalkeeper.

Allardyce is ready to aid Chelsea by offering them either Ian Walker or Ali Al-Habsi on loan to provide cover for the injured duo.

Both players currently provide the back-up to undisputed first choice Jussi Jaaskelainen at The Reebok Stadium and Allardyce is keen for the pair to get some valuable first team action somewhere.

"We have three goalkeepers of high quality at Bolton Wanderers and, although we've not received any enquiries, I would not rule out a loan move for Ali or Ian," said Allardyce.

Meanwhile, a top surgeon has warned that Cech could be out of action for up to six months with his injury.

Peter Hamlyn, consultant neuro-surgeon and director for the centre of sports and exercise medicine at St Bartholomew's Hospital, has warned Cech not to try and rush back from his injury or it could prove fatal.

"I would think Cech is likely to be out for at least six months," Hamlyn told the Daily Telegraph.

"That is about the length of time it takes for stout bone healing to take place. If the brain underlying the fracture has been greatly injured, his time out may be even longer.

"If Petr Cech returns too soon from his head injury, the result could be fatal.

"He risks what is known as 'second impact syndrome'. This happens when a second blow causes swelling to the brain before it has recovered fully from an earlier injury.

"It is a situation that could prove fatal, even if the first blow is deemed not to be serious."
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Cech out for 6mths, big Sam offers help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 06:54:03 AM »
This is real pressure.  This will make our victory over barcelona a little more difficult, but it will be sweeter!! Nice gesture from Sam.

www.skysports.com

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has offered to help Chelsea solve their goalkeeping problems.

Chelsea have a goalkeeping crisis on their hands after Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini both picked up knocks in Saturday's win at Reading.

Cech faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines after undergoing surgery for a fractured skull, while Cudicini's problem is not thought to be too serious.

Cudicini is expected to be out of action for up to ten days after suffering concussion.

Both goalkeepers are set to miss Wednesday's UEFA Champions League clash with Barcelona leaving Chelsea with Henrique Hilario as their only recognised goalkeeper.

Allardyce is ready to aid Chelsea by offering them either Ian Walker or Ali Al-Habsi on loan to provide cover for the injured duo.

Both players currently provide the back-up to undisputed first choice Jussi Jaaskelainen at The Reebok Stadium and Allardyce is keen for the pair to get some valuable first team action somewhere.

"We have three goalkeepers of high quality at Bolton Wanderers and, although we've not received any enquiries, I would not rule out a loan move for Ali or Ian," said Allardyce.

Meanwhile, a top surgeon has warned that Cech could be out of action for up to six months with his injury.

Peter Hamlyn, consultant neuro-surgeon and director for the centre of sports and exercise medicine at St Bartholomew's Hospital, has warned Cech not to try and rush back from his injury or it could prove fatal.

"I would think Cech is likely to be out for at least six months," Hamlyn told the Daily Telegraph.

"That is about the length of time it takes for stout bone healing to take place. If the brain underlying the fracture has been greatly injured, his time out may be even longer.

"If Petr Cech returns too soon from his head injury, the result could be fatal.

"He risks what is known as 'second impact syndrome'. This happens when a second blow causes swelling to the brain before it has recovered fully from an earlier injury.

"It is a situation that could prove fatal, even if the first blow is deemed not to be serious."

Your side is going down Andre.I hope Cech will recover well but we're still going to get 3 points at the Bridge.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:55:32 PM »
I won't go as far as to accuse Stephen Hunt of intentionally trying to hurt Petr Cech, but I will say that he had every opportunity to pull away and avoid contact with the 'keeper and he didn't.  The English pundits are all saying things like "....he had every right to challenge for the ball...." because that's the english style of playing football (and hence, why Newcastle is forced to play without Shay Given for a while) but given the way that play developed, Stephen Hunt knew he had no chance of winning that ball, Petr Cech had it covered all the way.  I would understand if Hunt had the ball, was attacking the goal and was in a situation where he might have over-pushed the ball and created a 50-50 situation, but it never was anything like that. I does see men talkin' about breakin' man foot for sharin' disrespectful beat on a field, well, this is de kinda ting I would break a man foot for if he do that to my 'keeper.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Darkromeo

• New Warrior
  • Tru Tru warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »
Jus hear on sky sports it might be up to ah year.......pressure.

Offline Trezegoal

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »
Chelsea is up 1-0 going into the 60th minute...
65th minute Dinho runs up the pitch, trips on his own legs.......5 Chelsea players are given straight red cards....because Dinho fell.....and well.....we're Chelsea
Barca is given PK's until they score 2 goals

After the match Rjikaard complains that the Chelsea pitch was purposely littered with sand, which affected their play.

Oh big up Allardyce....nice gesture

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:56:45 AM »
English footballl again... only in england.... even the comments of the tv pundits goes to show that its a mentality in england that the striker has every right to go into a challenge with a keeper no matter how pointless or how potentially dangerous... and also they say, "keepers expect to get hurt thats what they are there for"..  i cant remember when last i've seen an english player hurdle an onrushing keeper...

Wenger fears for keepers' safety  [/size]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6057730.stm

Arsene Wenger fears a goalkeeper could be killed on the football field unless they are given more protection.

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech fractured his skull after colliding with Reading's Stephen Hunt on Saturday.

The Arsenal boss said it was no coincidence more keepers were suffering serious injuries during matches.

But he added: "I can't imagine a player will go in to try to hit another player on the head with his knee because you know you can kill the player."

Wenger said there had been four instances in the past six months in which goalkeepers had been badly injured.

Chelsea's second-choice keeper Carlo Cudicini was also stretchered off in Saturday's match after colliding with Ibrahima Sonko.

Middlesbrough's Mark Schwarzer fractured a cheekbone after a collision with Dean Ashton in April, while Newcastle's Shay Given needed surgery after tearing a bowel in a challenge with Marlon Harewood in September.

"This year there have been four incidents. It cannot be coincidence," Wenger said.

And the Arsenal boss admitted he feared a serious injury to his keeper Jens Lehmann.

"In some games, Jens has been targeted," he said.

Lehmann also voiced concern about goalkeepers' safety, saying someone could end up in a wheelchair if they were not protected.

"I really felt sorry for both Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini. It made me really, really angry too.

"I'm upset still because it happened to Schwarzer and Given. Now it's happened to Cech and Cudicini.

"All of them are great keepers, very brave. They never went to challenge or harm the striker, but all four of them got knocked out due to what are called 'clumsy' challenges.

"This word clumsy makes me really angry as well because these stupid TV pundits say sometimes 'it's clumsy' and 'it's a man's game'.

"Yes it is a man's game, but what you have to consider as well is these men have children and wives and their children don't want to see their fathers end up with lifelong damage, driven around in a wheelchair or not being able to work anymore."

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 07:05:30 AM »
English footballl again... only in england.... even the comments of the tv pundits goes to show that its a mentality in england that the striker has every right to go into a challenge with a keeper no matter how pointless or how potentially dangerous... and also they say, "keepers expect to get hurt thats what they are there for"..  i cant remember when last i've seen an english player hurdle an onrushing keeper...

If it was Ronaldo or some foreign man who hit Robinson like that, what do you think they would be saying??  ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:41:48 AM by ricky »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 08:39:17 AM »
English footballl again... i cant remember when last i've seen an english player hurdle an onrushing keeper...

Last night while playing FIFA 2006!  ;D
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 10:13:08 AM »

Its a part of the English way of football. Smash and grab football. The need to get "stuck in" and run non stop and to do everything at pace even if that means making unintelligent decisions.

Sorry I just hate English football. They just want to do everything fast and direct.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 10:47:20 AM »
man first time i save for a lil sunday league side in england i was in shock...

i coming out lying down for ball and men coming in skating studs up, 2 footed... after dat i say nah i voom kicking everything even if it in meh pk box, i ent lying down at all...

and from throw-ins iz a bolton brand dey playing.. just throw it as close to the keeper as possible and everybody rough it out for the ball like rugby. and the ref dont blow..

there's no protection for goalkeepers in england

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 11:09:57 AM »
Allardyce not stupid. He probably reckons he can either get a Chelsea player in the future or a nice cash payment in return for loaning one of his reserve goalkeepers.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 01:52:23 PM »
A few weeks ago (might have been the blackburn or Fulham game) I see other team cryin' for a penalty against Petr Cech after he and the opponent got "tangled up"  in the same kinda situation that happened with Stephen Hunt............after the man put a size 11 1/2 hickey on Cech neck with a stamp from "going for the ball".  Bobby McMahon on the following monday night was talkin' bout how the ref shoulda awarded a penalty and one of his co-hosts even had to ask him with amazement about the stamp Cech had just received prior to him "impeding" the other player.    The ref had not even made the call after the man CLEARLY stamped his foot over the ball and landed all his studs on Cech neck. 
  I see Ollof Mellberg jes' BLOW Shaun Wright-Phillips completely OFF the field up the right flank in an alledged "shoulder to shoulder" tackle: SWP push the ball past the man, the ball is about 5-10 yards in front both players and SWP get one HUGE blow and end up on the billboards.  The ref ain't even blink.  That is English football.   

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 03:17:23 AM »
man first time i save for a lil sunday league side in england i was in shock...

i coming out lying down for ball and men coming in skating studs up, 2 footed... after dat i say nah i voom kicking everything even if it in meh pk box, i ent lying down at all...

and from throw-ins iz a bolton brand dey playing.. just throw it as close to the keeper as possible and everybody rough it out for the ball like rugby. and the ref dont blow..

there's no protection for goalkeepers in england

Watching the Lille vs AEK Athens fixture on Setanta sport this morning, and the two commentators Englishmen, of course) brought up the Petr Cech incident and one of them say that goalkeepers in modern day football have all the protection they need from referees and don't need any more protection in the game.  Go figure.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 04:09:24 AM »
Cudicini unhappy with Riley role

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/6065286.stm

Chelsea keeper Carlo Cudicini has criticised referee Mike Riley for failing to punish the Reading players who hospitalised him and fellow Chelsea keeper Petr Cech.

Riley took no action against Ibrahima Sonko, who knocked Cudicini out, or Stephen Hunt whose challenge caught Cech in the head.

Cudicini told the Daily Express: "If my collision had happened in the middle of the pitch he would have got a red card.

"Had the ref sent Hunt off you can rest assured he would not try it again."

Cudicini swallowed his tongue after being knocked unconscious in his goalmouth collision with Sonko, while Cech sustained a fractured skull in a challenge with Reading winger Hunt just 20 seconds into the game.

Italian keeper Cudicini added: "I have no qualms with Sonko, I am angry with the referee.

"It is obvious Hunt did not intend to harm Petr otherwise he should be labelled an assassin.

"But he is Pinocchio when he says he could not avoid him. He went in with a firm leg to get the collision, the fall and a possible penalty."

Cudicini claims keepers are not given as much protection in England as they are on the continent.

He said: "This is just an English problem. In continental Europe the goalkeepers are always protected. In England the contrary happens.

"On the high balls we have to punch away to avoid the kind of challenge which should not be sanctioned.

"I'm OK with 50-50 challenges where you get an elbow. But when you are on the ground, having got hold of the ball, here you still get a knee in the face or studs on your head.

"It is not customary here to jump over a goalkeeper," added Cudicini.

Cudicini branded as "absurd" a suggestion from Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor that keepers should wear helmets.

He said: "Instead of demanding action against those who so violently challenge the keepers, they want to dress us up like ice hockey netminders."

1]; } ?>