April 30, 2024, 10:15:36 PM

Author Topic: Rastafari and dreadlocks Thread  (Read 71049 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Rastafari and dreadlocks
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »
Fari,

Thanks for posting this article, there was another one on emancipation day with members of the Bobo tribe saying essentially the same thing but they wanted the Queen of England to pay for their passage home.

Omardinho I like your post good one.

I also like how we getting educated here in this thread for it is interesting to read. But to my dismay no one here has really answered my first inital post on the subject matter except Spideybuff to an extent.

Anyways, given the article posted about repatriation, let me put a spin on this one yet again.......

If Africa is our home and a return to the Motherland the final end result...so do those who dont believe that Africa is home, who don't believe in reptriation and who are not black be considered Rasta?

Again scroll back a few posts and look at Leonard Howell and the first Rasta ideals. If this is the case then he is a big racist and this is another form of racism.

So essentially are all those Rastas who are not black psuedo Rastas?

Wouldn't it be Hypocritical for a White Blonde Haired, Blue Eye Ras to say he leaving to go back to Africa and set up shop in Shashamane. Further, if he does go and sets up shop and is making the most of the business opportunity there...would that be seen as exploitation by Babylon?

I await the responses.

The Eternal Student
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:58:45 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:52 AM »
Questions again...

How do you Rastas feel about Soca and Calypso music?

The wining season and jamishness...

Would any of you put orn a costume and chip down the road Mon and Tuesday? and pelt mud, oil and cocoa on people Mon morning?

Has the tune Ras Mas by Explainer ever come to fruitation?

Finally What do Rastas do for lent? Do you observe the 40 days like other Christians?

Sincerely,

The eternal student

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2008, 07:04:52 PM »
What are rasta's take on traditional religion from West Africa where most of the Africans in the diaspora came from. Xango, Yemanja... etc and even Obeah!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »
Is all good. Like Bob say "One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain. ". Of course, we all have we taste, so man eh go like everyting dat playing.

Would any of you put orn a costume and chip down the road Mon and Tuesday? and pelt mud, oil and cocoa on people Mon morning?
Depends on de kinda mas. Plus it have some people who just not into de Carnival scene, and would just hit ah beach.

Dat is ah borse chune, but it never manifest itself in a literal sense. Is like a utopian dream. Ah never know what was Explainer real scene. Either he was a Rasta sympathizer, or he was jes commenting on de times. Remember he had other songs like Dread, and Rasta Chick

Finally What do Rastas do for lent? Do you observe the 40 days like other Christians?
This depends on the orientation. For example, if ah man is an Orthodox Rasta, which means he follows the Ethiopian Orthodox Church then chances are that Lent would be observed. However, Lent starts on the Monday for these followers.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »
What are rasta's take on traditional religion from West Africa where most of the Africans in the diaspora came from. Xango, Yemanja... etc and even Obeah!
Respect is due to those traditional religions that you mentioned because in de earlies Rastafari co-opted some practices from these said religions. After all, de slaves brought these things with them so they were familiar patterns of behavior. However, de parts of it dat have to do wit ting like sorcery, witchcraft and dem kinda ting is frowned upon. When yuh relly think about it, most of these things is just a variation on a theme.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2008, 08:27:46 AM »
Is all good. Like Bob say "One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain. ". Of course, we all have we taste, so man eh go like everyting dat playing.

Depends on de kinda mas. Plus it have some people who just not into de Carnival scene, and would just hit ah beach.

Dat is ah borse chune, but it never manifest itself in a literal sense. Is like a utopian dream. Ah never know what was Explainer real scene. Either he was a Rasta sympathizer, or he was jes commenting on de times. Remember he had other songs like Dread, and Rasta Chick

This depends on the orientation. For example, if ah man is an Orthodox Rasta, which means he follows the Ethiopian Orthodox Church then chances are that Lent would be observed. However, Lent starts on the Monday for these followers.

fasting is good. there are rastas who do it often. you have to feed your self with spiritual food every so often. open up and let the light of Jah come in.

soca and calypso are not 'devil music' as claimed by some.  i don't see nothing wrong with grooving to some sweet soca tunes.  calypso, especially of the kind produced by the real exponents of the genre is food for thought and should be consumed on a regular basis.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rastas and Salassie?
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2008, 02:27:19 PM »
Saw this topic in another site and felt it would make an interesting debate over here..I my self have the same sentiments as the original poster of this topic...his post below (which is in bold) says..

"I have quite a few rastas in my family...mostly around my age group 18-35 yrs. I always felt rastas were very informative when it comes to black history, diet, a strong mental for life in general. But I could never understand for the sake of my life why hailee selassie is praised. No disrespect it makes no sense to me! I mean why? Is it because he has lineage connected to king solomon? And if so...so what? He is simply just a black militant and political leader . no different from a Malcom x or Marcus Garvey. My cousins and shit never answer me this with a straight answer some are even ambivalent when it comes to hailee.  need anwers"

Now from what I've read on another site Ethiopians dont even view Salassie the way Rastas do, and Salassie did not even understand why Rastas loved him so much when he visisted Jamaica.(that can be true or not).Now T&T have rastas but I myself will like to know why some of my Trinbagonian bredrin praise Hailee selassie?..if he is was just a black political leader then is that enough reason to praise him as a GOD?..Malcolm X and Nelson Mandela were black leaders also (just to name a few)..everytime ah ask a rasta in T&T these questions they can never answer..anyone care to educate me  :beermug:

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »
Well Sando I have no full view of the matter but someone tell me that Salassie had took in some Jamaicans exiles and gave them land and shelter and a place to live and so came the appreciation of Hailee Selassie from the exiles that somehow past on to the Caribbean. For some reason the local Jamaicans decided they needed to exalt him.

Now I am not sure how true this is so don't lambast me eh :angel:
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
Well Sando I have no full view of the matter but someone tell me that Salassie had took in some Jamaicans exiles and gave them land and shelter and a place to live and so came the appreciation of Hailee Selassie from the exiles that somehow past on to the Caribbean. For some reason the local Jamaicans decided they needed to exalt him.

Now I am not sure how true this is so don't lambast me eh :angel:

breds thanks for the little insight..am trying to understand this whole selassie ting..and any amount of knowlege i will appreciate..i see a significant fraction of my trinbagonian population indulge in this, so its imperative that i try to understand it....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:30:42 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rastas and Salassie?
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2008, 06:26:05 PM »
Saw this topic in another site and felt it would make an interesting debate over here..I my self have the same sentiments as the original poster of this topic...his post below (which is in bold) says..

"I have quite a few rastas in my family...mostly around my age group 18-35 yrs. I always felt rastas were very informative when it comes to black history, diet, a strong mental for life in general. But I could never understand for the sake of my life why hailee selassie is praised. No disrespect it makes no sense to me! I mean why? Is it because he has lineage connected to king solomon? And if so...so what? He is simply just a black militant and political leader . no different from a Malcom x or Marcus Garvey. My cousins and shit never answer me this with a straight answer some are even ambivalent when it comes to hailee.  need anwers"

Now from what I've read on another site Ethiopians dont even view Salassie the way Rastas do, and Salassie did not even understand why Rastas loved him so much when he visisted Jamaica.(that can be true or not).Now T&T have rastas but I myself will like to know why some of my Trinbagonian bredrin praise Hailee selassie?..if he is was just a black political leader then is that enough reason to praise him as a GOD?..Malcolm X and Nelson Mandela were black leaders also (just to name a few)..everytime ah ask a rasta in T&T these questions they can never answer..anyone care to educate me  :beermug:

Lol... no doubt then you saw my contributions at the end of that thread.

Pass... the 'exaltation' came a goo number of years before the gifting of the land... he became Emperor in 1937, visited Jamaica in 1961, received a Jamaican entourage in 1967.  At that point, in response to repatriation overtures, he gifted the land for all West Indians and many (primarily Jamaicans) took up residence there in Ethiopia.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »
Yeh Bakes I saw your contribution...
but still not one rasta in T&T can answer me, about what seperates this political leader (saelassie) from other political leaders so much that he is worshipped as a GOD...when I see man crying out Salassie and saying "praise be to salassie the almighty"..and singing about "salssie say dont do this and that" (and those are just two examples)....makes me curious and wonder about this so called GODly figure name Salassie..I hope my Rasta bredrins just not in de "follow fashion ting", cause we already know T&T is still a copy cat society..(although its currently slowly changing and getting out of that copy cat mentality) maybe they see or hear bout some other rastas worshipping salassie and they think thats the cool thing to do!..lol.. dunno I need answers  :-\...If you going to worship a man, you should atleast know why yuh worship him..

So he became Emperor in 1937, visited Jamaica in 1961, received a Jamaican entourage in 1967.  At that point, in response to repatriation overtures, he gifted the land for all West Indians and many (primarily Jamaicans) took up residence there in Ethiopia.

Hmmm if thats why today he is worshipped as a GOD then I will forever never understand this mystery  :-\...seems like he was just a very popular political leader visiting the caribbean and felt like that was the best gift at that point in time..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:40:37 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2008, 08:40:15 PM »

First of all, Selassie is not viewed as God by all Rastas. The Twelve Tribes of Israel typically view Selassie as Christ in his kingly character, basically the character of Christ was revealed through H.I.M. The Bobo Shanti's Holy Trinity is Prophet, Priest, and King, where Selassie is the King. The House of Nyabinghi steadfastly believes he is Earth's Rightful Ruler. So as you can see, there is a difference of opinion.

The divinity of Selassie was first preached by Leonard Howell, Archibald Dunkley, and Robert Hinds back in the 30s. Without going in to too much detail, they based their belief on the scriptures of Revelation, Psalms, Song of Solomon etc., his coronation titles, his lineage, as well as utterances of Marcus Garvey and Reverend James Morris Webb. In one of his speeches, Garvey said "Look to the East for the crowning of a Black King, he is the redeemer for the days of deliverance are near". Also, Selassie's divinity is assumed because of his being part of the Solomonic line of kings. Jesus Christ and Haile Selassie belong to the Royal House of King David, therefore they share some kinship. Keep in mind that divinity does not necessarily equate with being God. For example, The Twelve Tribes believe in his divinity, but they don't believe he is God. However, the Solomonic lineage of Selassie and Jesus can be debated, but I'll leave that to the genealogical researchers. Some ask how can Jesus be from the root of David when Joseph was his adoptive father.  I have also read that there may have been some gaps along the Ethiopian line of kings. It always have questions, but that is part of the quest for knowledge.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 06:37:23 AM by Tallman »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2008, 10:51:01 PM »

Hmmm if thats why today he is worshipped as a GOD then I will forever never understand this mystery  :-\...seems like he was just a very popular political leader visiting the caribbean and felt like that was the best gift at that point in time..

Nah.. I not saying that is why he's deified.  That was to explain to Pass (10trini) the gifting of the land to West Indian peoples.

First of all, Selassie is not viewed as God by all Rastas. The Twelve Tribes of Israel typically view Selassie as Christ in his kingly character, basically the character of Christ was revealed through H.I.M. The Bobo Shanti's Holy Trinity is Prophet, Priest, and King, where Selassie is the King. The House of Nyabinghi steadfastly believes he is Earth's Rightful Ruler. So as you can see, there is a difference of opinion.

The divinity of Selassie was first preached by Leonard Howell, Archibald Dunkley, and Robert Hinds back in the 30s. Without going in to too much detail, they based their belief on the scriptures of Revelation, Psalms, Song of Solomon etc., his coronation titles, his lineage, as well as utterances of Marcus Garvey and Reverend James Morris Webb. In one of his speeches, Garvey said "Look to the East for the crowning of a Black King, he is the redeemer for the days of deliverance are near". Also, Selassie's divinity is assumed because of his being part of the Solomonic line of kings. Jesus Christ and Haile Selassie belong to the Royal House of King David, therefore they share some kinship. Keep in mind that divinity does not necessarily equate with being God. For example, The Twelve Tribes believe in his divinity, but they don't believe he is God. However, the Solomonic lineage of Selassie and Jesus can be debated, but I'll leave that to the genealogical researchers. Some ask how can Jesus be from the root of David when Joseph was his adoptive father.  I have also read that there may have been some gaps along the Ethiopian line of kings. It always have questions, but that is part of the quest for knowledge.

Good post.

Indeed the Solomonic lineage of Selassie can be debated in large part because of the fact that not all the Kings of Ethiopia descended down the male line... for instance, Sahle Selassie was Emperor in the 19th century and the crown was eventually passed via his son to his grandson, who became Menelik II.  Menelik II had no heirs, but he had a favorite cousin by the name of Ras Makonnen, an Amhar General who had fought alongside him in many wars.  They were related in that Makonnen's mother was the sister of Menelik's father... and children of Sahle Selassie.  When Menelik II died the throne was passed to the son of Ras Makonnen... Tafari Makonnen aka Ras Tafari, Haile Selassie.

So Selassie became King, but he was connected to the royal line via his grandmother, the daughter of Sahle Selassie (I'm not including all the names b/c it may just get more confusing than it already is).  So while he's blood related to the Solomonic Lineage... it's genealogically unlikely that we can tell with any certainty that he descended from Solomon.

Another major hurdle is the fact that Solomon lived in Jerusalem... some 1500 miles away from Ethiopia.  We know that Solomon and the Queen of Sheba (thought to be Queen Makeda) had a son... and that this son was said to be called Menelik.  The evidence isn't conclusive one way or another that this Menelik is the very same Menelik I who began the Solomonic Dynasty in Ethiopia.  So one would first have to establish that they are one in the same... then show an unbroken bloodline leading from him to Ras Tafari.  The Solomonic lineage is 'traditionally' claimed by the Ethiopian royal family... but it hasn't been proven.

But religion isn't science and there has to be a leap of faith inherent to whatever the theology, so I won't ask Rastas to provide some sort of conclusive proof of this lineage.  So whether I personally (or anyone else) want to accept their reasons or not is beside the point... but THIS lineage, disputed as it is, is the reason for the Messianic belief.

In addition to the other things pointed out of course... the Garvey "prophecy" etc...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 06:38:10 AM by Tallman »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »

Just saw this on youtube then i notice this discussion

BINGHI celebration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne2Ju9K5ZyE

BTW  tallman who is "King Emmanuel I" they alway praise ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »

BINGHI celebration

Not sure (yeah, ah know I'z not Tallman  ;D )... but remember that "Emmanuel" was also an unofficial name for Jesus.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »

BINGHI celebration

King Emmanuel is also known as Prince Emmanuel Charles Edwards aka Dada, de founder of de Bobo Shanti movement.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »
reading and observing...the rest of questions will come later.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2008, 08:39:36 PM »
Alyuh Rasta could swim good?

Do your locks hamper underwater swimming, is it boyant or does it weigh you down.

I notice in timed sports etc, running, swimming etc Rastas are not represented....coincidence or ?

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2008, 11:14:29 PM »

Do your locks hamper underwater swimming, is it boyant or does it weigh you down.

I notice in timed sports etc, running, swimming etc Rastas are not represented....coincidence or ?
Must be have more to do with the health of the lungs .even doh Ricky Williams was super fast

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:54 AM »

Yuh ever hear about de coefficient of drag?

... ah doh mean puff puff pass neither :rotfl:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2008, 04:18:40 AM »
Yuh ever hear about de coefficient of drag?
 ... ah doh mean puff puff pass neither :rotfl:
Doh Bogart that Joint :rotfl: ;D :D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2008, 09:52:56 AM »

Walter Dix have short locks.
We boy woulda be in trouble if Dix was a baldhead.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »
If Africa is our home and a return to the Motherland the final end result...so do those who dont believe that Africa is home, who don't believe in reptriation and who are not black be considered Rasta?
As ah say before, repatriation can be physical, mental or spiritual. See below about de black Rasta business.

Again scroll back a few posts and look at Leonard Howell and the first Rasta ideals. If this is the case then he is a big racist and this is another form of racism.
I wouldn't brand Howell ah racist, just like ah wouldn't brand Malcolm X ah racist. In de context of de times, when he was railing against white people, he was merely responding to de persecution dat was being meted out to black people.

So essentially are all those Rastas who are not black psuedo Rastas?
No. It started out black, but it is obviously no longer that way. However, there are those who would term them "pseudo rastas".

Wouldn't it be Hypocritical for a White Blonde Haired, Blue Eye Ras to say he leaving to go back to Africa and set up shop in Shashamane. Further, if he does go and sets up shop and is making the most of the business opportunity there...would that be seen as exploitation by Babylon?
It would only be hypocritical if de individual trying tuh be deceptive, and have ulterior motives. It would be seen as exploitation by Babylon among those who are simple minded, or only if the individual was being given opportunities that were not available to all. It's kinda like how some Caribbean folk down in Brooklyn does carry on about how dem Korean does come and set up shop, and make money off ah dem. But when yuh ask dem why Caribbean people doh set up dey own groceries, and produce markets etc., dey cyar answer.  And if by chance somebody open ah store, dey rell give dem de support dey need. Dey find de Korean cheaper.

What exactly yuh mean by swim good? Locks or no locks, if ah man could swim, he could swim. Obviously, if yuh talking about competitive swimming, den yeh, de locks will hinder yuh speed, unlike ah baldhead man. However, on ah recreational level, everyting cool.

I doh relly follow dem sports like how ah does follow football and cricket, so I eh know if it have any locksman competing at any elite level. But just like in swimming, de locks will definitely impede yuh quest for fast times.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »
So Tallman,

I read an article bout the Bobos and they keep their women seperate when they have their "monthlies"...by seperate I mean different quarters, cyar lime around etc.

Do Rastas have any other customs?

Also same way a certain "Christian" group does not allow blood transfusions etc...Do Rastas have any kinda thing so?

Alyuh does go Doctor and ting?...wha bout Circumcision...like the Jews and Muslims?.

Alyuh could take Panadol and cold medicine?...or is Herbs and Tonic alyuh does concoct.

Thanks in advance,

The eternal student

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2008, 10:09:01 AM »
Tallman in terms of clothing?

Rasta's have anykinda dress code for men and women?

Could a Rasta rock a smedium shirt and a kick and stab Rumpelstiltskin shoe with a hamstring hugger pants and a WWF belt buckle?...and not be scorned by his brethren.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
So Tallman,

I read an article bout the Bobos and they keep their women seperate when they have their "monthlies"...by seperate I mean different quarters, cyar lime around etc.

Also same way a certain "Christian" group does not allow blood transfusions etc...Do Rastas have any kinda thing so?

Alyuh does go Doctor and ting?...wha bout Circumcision...like the Jews and Muslims?.

Alyuh could take Panadol and cold medicine?...or is Herbs and Tonic alyuh does concoct.

De Bobo and Nyabinghi are de ones who yuh could say engage in plenty customs/rituals. You could get good details at House of Nyabinghi.

About de blood transfusion ting, de one ting dat comes to mind, is dat those who take de Nazarite vow must not attend funerals or be around dead bodies.

No problem wit going to a doctor if it is required. Not aware of anything concerning circumcision.

Herbs and natural products are usually de order of de day, but if is some kinda serious condition and time is of de essence, and yuh not improving, den yuh go wit prescriptions and so on.  Personally, I doh typically meddle wit tablets and cough medicine and dem ting. If ah have ah sore throat, ah gargle wit cayenne pepper in warm water. If ah feel ah coming down wit someting, ah load up on some citrus, or golden seal, or echinacea. But in general, is more of a prevention is better dan cure scene. Of course, if ah man have tuh undergo surgery or some kinda ting, den dat is ah different story.

Could a Rasta rock a smedium shirt and a kick and stab Rumpelstiltskin shoe with a hamstring hugger pants and a WWF belt buckle?...and not be scorned by his brethren.

Bobo and Nyabinghi have dress codes. De woman wears skirts, both man and woman should dress modestly. Bobo and dem don dey turban etc. In de tabernacle or at a Grounation/Nyabinghi, de man head is uncovered, but de woman must be covered etc. Outside of those two mansions, there are no specific dress codes, but at de same time, yuh wouldn't see ah proliferation of plum huggers being worn.

Ah fella who dressing as yuh mentioned, should be stoned by anybody  :rotfl:.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »
So Tallman,

De Bobo and Nyabinghi are de ones who yuh could say engage in plenty customs/rituals. You could get good details at House of Nyabinghi.

About de blood transfusion ting, de one ting dat comes to mind, is dat those who take de Nazarite vow must not attend funerals or be around dead bodies.

No problem wit going to a doctor if it is required. Not aware of anything concerning circumcision.

Herbs and natural products are usually de order of de day, but if is some kinda serious condition and time is of de essence, and yuh not improving, den yuh go wit prescriptions and so on.  Personally, I doh typically meddle wit tablets and cough medicine and dem ting. If ah have ah sore throat, ah gargle wit cayenne pepper in warm water. If ah feel ah coming down wit someting, ah load up on some citrus, or golden seal, or echinacea. But in general, is more of a prevention is better dan cure scene. Of course, if ah man have tuh undergo surgery or some kinda ting, den dat is ah different story.

Bobo and Nyabinghi have dress codes. De woman wears skirts, both man and woman should dress modestly. Bobo and dem don dey turban etc. In de tabernacle or at a Grounation/Nyabinghi, de man head is uncovered, but de woman must be covered etc. Outside of those two mansions, there are no specific dress codes, but at de same time, yuh wouldn't see ah proliferation of plum huggers being worn.

Ah fella who dressing as yuh mentioned, should be stoned by anybody  :rotfl:.

Does echinacea really work for you? ...I've heard both sides of the coin. Always wanted to try it but wasn't sure.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2008, 04:32:23 AM »
If ah have ah sore throat, ah gargle wit cayenne pepper in warm water. If ah feel ah coming down wit someting, ah load up on some citrus, or golden seal, or echinacea.

Does echinacea really work for you? ...I've heard both sides of the coin. Always wanted to try it but wasn't sure.
Ye, but yuh know how it is. Not everyting is for everybody.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »
Rastas here for summit
Published on: 11/30/08.

The Nation (Barbados)

RASTAFARI from the region and beyond are gathering here for the 12th Summit, Cultural & Trade Expo of the Caribbean Rastafari Organisation (CRO).

The summit, which takes place between December 4 and 8, is intended to "expand the membership, secure the legitimacy and advance the mission of CRO". This mission is "to organise and centralise the Caribbean Rastafari community through sustainable trade and development programmes and activities in pursuit of our ultimate goal of reparations and repatriation".

The opening ceremony, on Thursday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Solidarity House, Harmony Hall, St Michael, includes blessings by priests representing the houses of Nyabinghi, 12 Tribes of Israel and the Church of Haile Selassie I.

CRO co-chairperson Sister Asheba Trotman will make the opening address, followed by remarks from CRO chairperson King Frank-I. Minister of Culture Steve Blackett will deliver the feature address.

On Friday from 10 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. the summit on CRO business takes place at the Israel Lovell Foundation, also the venue for a public health seminar, public exhibition and sales from 7 p.m. until 10 p.m.

Queen's Park is the venue for Saturday's Cultural & Trade Expo, from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. It includes cultural presentations, paper presentations and health consultations. The park is also the venue for the next day's Cultural & Trade Expo 2 and Family Day, which runs from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.

The final day of the conference, Monday, December 8, starts with a Press conference at 10 a.m. at the Commission for Pan African Affairs, Hincks Street, The City, after which there will be a scenic heritage tour.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »
I find Rasta these days scarce in TT.

Most shave orf they dread and gorn mo-hawk.

On the positive....they have diversified from selling nuts exclusively and now sport rasta coloured coolers on the highway peddling beverages...gatorade, redbull, water etc.

It seems the Rasta Fad is wearing off...Jersey with Pin of Emperor Selassie out....Metro Print Smedium, Tight pants and WWF Belt buckle IN.

1]; } ?>