April 23, 2024, 10:11:32 PM

Author Topic: Paul Robinson's big mistake (v Croatia)  (Read 6091 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 05:36:01 PM by e-man »

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Robinson's big mistake (v Croatia)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 02:11:35 PM »
OH GOD E-MAN!  HOW IS DAT PAUL ROBINSONS BIG MISTAKE.........  dat was just pure bad luck  it could have happened to anyone

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 02:14:26 PM »
Is like he get clean bowled  :devil:.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 02:15:22 PM »
something like dat almost happened to Ince when we  played  IN 2000 in the wcq
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Darkromeo

• New Warrior
  • Tru Tru warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 02:18:45 PM »
That is ah hard luck scene yes. Poor Pauly. But Beck's say that someting like dat happened to him when he miss dat penalty. i think he say d ball jump jus as he was aboult to kick it :-\ at least we could prove this one

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 02:49:53 PM »
This is why they always say that backpasses to the goalkeeper should never be played between the posts, but always to the side.

Both Neville as a veteran defender who should know that, and Robinson were at fault.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 02:58:24 PM »
This is why they always say that backpasses to the goalkeeper should never be played between the posts, but always to the side.

Both Neville as a veteran defender who should know that, and Robinson were at fault.

Yep.  I tell my young goalies that it must be passed outside of the six yard box, and as wide of the posts as possible.  Ah was saying that Robinson ain't do nothing wrong initially, but they teach you as a goalkeeper to signal to the player where you want the ball passed back. 

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 03:10:35 PM »
feel kinda sorry for the guy.. he looked real messsed up . he had made some good saves the game too.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 03:13:54 PM »
the ball was slowly passed back to him and he MISSED it..simple...his fault...no pressure day at all
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 03:25:15 PM »
how is that his mistake??

he did everything right, no way he could anticipate the ball jumping up off the turf over his foot..

come like you get a rat ball in cricket and people blaming you for getting bowl down

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 03:36:44 PM »

Yep.  I tell my young goalies that it must be passed outside of the six yard box, and as wide of the posts as possible.  Ah was saying that Robinson ain't do nothing wrong initially, but they teach you as a goalkeeper to signal to the player where you want the ball passed back. 
Everything you say here is correct. But you are forgetting who made the pass- Gary Neville. He did something similar against Greece in a WCQ game. He made a back-pass to Seaman's left foot while the keeper was under pressure. Seaman was able to clear that time.

The bounce was unfortunate but that ball should never have been played so close to the goal.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 04:10:33 PM »
In my opinion people are over analysing this. For me Robinson was not at fault it was just pure bad luck. It happens sometimes. I dont believe Neville had any fault either.

With regard to not playing backpasses between the posts, i dont beleive it is realistic to not play backpasses between the posts. You will see more goals conceded resulting from players backpassing the ball to the goalkeeper's wrong foot, than to balls which are played between the posts and the goalkeeper totally misses.

Name the last 5 occasions when you have seen a goal like the one Robinson conceded- it was a freak goal. I will stand by my opinion that it is more important to play the ball to the goalkeepers strongest foot rather than to play the ball outside the line of the goal. That Neville back pass would have been perfect 99 times out of 100.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 05:10:55 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Water in he knee.
TnT Patriot

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 05:14:13 PM »
Is like he get clean bowled  :devil:.
... while "voopin" ...  :rotfl:

Dat was real funny... even the camera man behind the goal get shake  :rotfl:
Anybody notice the ad for Borat from Da Ali G show?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 05:16:37 PM »
In my opinion people are over analysing this. For me Robinson was not at fault it was just pure bad luck. It happens sometimes. I dont believe Neville had any fault either.

With regard to not playing backpasses between the posts, i dont beleive it is realistic to not play backpasses between the posts. You will see more goals conceded resulting from players backpassing the ball to the goalkeeper's wrong foot, than to balls which are played between the posts and the goalkeeper totally misses.

Name the last 5 occasions when you have seen a goal like the one Robinson conceded- it was a freak goal. I will stand by my opinion that it is more important to play the ball to the goalkeepers strongest foot rather than to play the ball outside the line of the goal. That Neville back pass would have been perfect 99 times out of 100.

Hear Hear...  just one of those things. You may have noticed the other defenders motioning G. Neville to pass  the ball back. Funny as hell though; the look on McLaren's face...  :rotfl:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 05:25:28 PM »
allyuh stop trying to analyze de situation and just laugh nah man

it funny  ;D

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 05:52:20 PM »
DAT WAS NEVILLE MISTAKE

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 06:22:10 PM »
Grande well said it was a good laugh had by all who saw it except people who does support England.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 06:49:12 PM »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 07:45:02 PM »
come like you get a rat ball in cricket and people blaming you for getting bowl down
is like de first time dat I go to de oval to watch Gary Sobers bat de man come out and fus ball...rat in he armen...duck is what he get de fus time i ever see him bat
I never did get ah chance to see sobers bat again  ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline trinikid

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 10:24:57 PM »
Yeah thats a hardlock play they but also as a defender you are told not to pass the ball back infront of the goal  :-\  serious peace ah bad boucne he get doh lol as a man say is like he just get bowled

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 05:53:23 AM »
If Robinson had grow up playing savannah ball, he woulda know that the ball coulda bounce anywhere when it hit some grass in between the dirt and acted accordingly.

The real problem is that the pitch was too nice, and lull him into a false sense of security.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 06:22:57 AM »
yo! one ah meh JV boys keepers does frighten meh when he do that, ah does tell him he facing the play so he should know if he could take ah touch before he clear it. I feel he coulda take ah touch(hindsight, yeah, I know)...on a related note, what could Mclaren could have possibly be writing in his stupid notepad after that goal score, seriously, what???
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 07:00:19 AM »
yo! one ah meh JV boys keepers does frighten meh when he do that, ah does tell him he facing the play so he should know if he could take ah touch before he clear it. I feel he coulda take ah touch(hindsight, yeah, I know)...on a related note, what could Mclaren could have possibly be writing in his stupid notepad after that goal score, seriously, what???

his  side just went down 2-0. heprobably was starting to think of a change in tactics. maybe a change in formation. nutten wrong with seeing what a new formation look like on paper to better visualize it. that's what many coaches do.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 07:17:59 AM »
everybody criticizing him saying he shoulda take ah extra touch should stop for a second and think about it..

if he went for an extra touch with the man bearing down on him, the ball woulda bobble up, he most likely woulda mistrap and couldve been dispossessed.. and that wouldve been an even worse mistake to make...

it was just a hard luck plain and simple he did nothing wrong....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 07:28:54 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6047402.stm

Robinson upset after England flak[/size]

Paul Robinson says he does not understand why he has come in for so much criticism in the media since England's 2-0 defeat to Croatia.
Croatia were gifted a second goal when the Spurs keeper mis-kicked Gary Neville's back-pass.

"I look at the incident and it was just a ridiculous fluke but it was reported as a mistake, as my fault," he said.

"To be treated that way saddens me. I'm very disappointed. I was not expecting to wake up to a barrage of abuse."

Robinson's horror moment came just eight minutes after England had gone behind in the second half.

The 26-year-old went to clear Neville's back-pass, but the ball hit a divot and went over his foot.

"Goalkeepers make mistakes and I've made mistakes as well that have cost goals but nothing like that has ever happened to me," Robinson continued.

Robinson's view that the goal was a fluke has been supported by former keepers Dave Beasant and Pat Jennings.

"I wouldn't put it down as a mistake, it was just a piece of very bad luck," said Jennings.

However, some critics have suggested Robinson should have controlled the ball first, instead of trying to clear it first time.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 07:37:41 PM »
Even though it is bad luck. He have to live with that piece of crap goal keeping for the rest of his life.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 03:28:18 AM »

that was harsh man....

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 09:08:51 AM »
Cyd Gray woulda clear dat ball out with he head

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2006, 09:32:13 AM »
dat is real hardluck yes...man had it lineup till it hit dah patch of timarie ...what ah ting

1]; } ?>