March 29, 2024, 08:25:08 AM

Author Topic: New Costa Rica coach aims to win World Cup  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New Costa Rica coach aims to win World Cup
« on: October 31, 2006, 05:15:52 PM »
(Adds Medford quotes)

By John McPhaul

SAN JOSE, Oct 31 (Reuters) - Hernan Medford, one of the most famous players in Costa Rican history, took over as national team coach on Tuesday and said his target was to win the World Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT

"You have to aim high if you want to fly high," Medford told reporters. "You have to put out positive vibes."

Costa Rica have played at three World Cups but have never got past the second round.

The 38-year-old, who played at the 1990 World Cup and was also in Costa Rica's squad in 2002, replaces Alexandre Guimaraes, who resigned after the Central Americans lost all three group games at this year's tournament in Germany.

Medford blamed poor local stadiums and pitches for hindering Costa Rica's progress and said he would press clubs to invest more in infrastructure.

"If we had the same environment and stadiums that they have in Mexico, we would be challenging the best," he said. "You can't play good soccer on poor pitches."

But he acknowledged that it would be hard work. "We have many economic limitations," he said

Medford added that age would not influence his team selections.

"On my national team there will be no differentiation by age. If you're 15 or 85 and you can play, you're going to play," he said.

Costa Rica's all-time leading scorer Paulo Wanchope announced his international retirement after the World Cup, even though he is only 30.

PURPLE MONSTER

Medford's first hurdle is the CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifying tournament in El Salvador in February.

Medford's only previous coaching job has been with local side Saprissa, where he has enjoyed considerable success since taking over in 2003.

His team won the 2003-04 and 2005-06 Costa Rican titles and the 2005 CONCACAF Champions Cup by beating Mexico's UNAM in the two-legged final.

That victory earned the so-called Purple Monster a place in the World Club championship in Japan the same year.

"The players were the ones who put out the effort and made it possible for me to be appointed," said Medford.

As a player, Medford won 89 caps and scored 18 goals including two of the most important in Costa Rican history.

He hit the winner when they beat Sweden 2-1 to progress to the second round of the 1990 World Cup.

He also scored the decisive goal when the Ticos beat Mexico 2-1 in 2001, becoming the first and only side to defeat the Mexicans in a World Cup qualifier at the Azteca stadium.

Medford retired after playing for clubs in Mexico, Spain, Italy, Austria and the former Yugoslavia.

Updated on Tuesday, Oct 31,

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: New Costa Rica coach aims to win World Cup
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »
If yuh know how ah couldn't stand Medford. De man used tuh always cause we problems. LOL
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 06:39:54 PM »
If yuh know how ah couldn't stand Medford. De man used tuh always cause we problems. LOL
doh worry tallman wid de way CR changes coaches he wont be there long guranteed.. Now Trinidad and Jamaica achances is open ig time wid him being coach of CR.. Medford havent really done much coaching so far ..so going wid de national team means level blow for CR when we meet dem.. We should try get dem innah friendly..
war..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 06:45:59 PM »
He should aim to spend less time experimenting with medication while being interviewed.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 07:04:41 PM »
He should aim to spend less time experimenting with medication while being interviewed.

Ah was wonderin if he and granville taking de same medication  :rotfl:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:13:34 PM »
His appointment was only a matter of time.

Why all the optimism about coming negative CR results? I think it's not that simple. Here's a man bringing a solid rapport with this generation of players.

He's got more coaching experience than Dunga ...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »
I agree Tallman that man cause we nuff grief but when he came on and score that goal against Sweden I felt good for my Concacaf brothers.

Me eh really care who coaching who. Medford for C/Rica Klinsman for US we have to build on Germny 06 and qualify with ease for S/Africa.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 03:42:38 PM »
as far as i could remember costa rica side made up of mostly players from saprissa....i doh understand war comment considering...
1. we lost on the ground
2. most of the players come from that club and so it should be an easy transition
3. the man is a national hero and talisman
4. that doh mean a depleted trinidad side gonna beat a side we always had trouble beating..and when i mean depleted we woulndt have yorke or latapy at that stage....

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 10:02:28 PM »
(Adds Medford quotes)

By John McPhaul

SAN JOSE, Oct 31 (Reuters) - Hernan Medford, one of the most famous players in Costa Rican history, took over as national team coach on Tuesday and said his target was to win the World Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT

"You have to aim high if you want to fly high," Medford told reporters. "You have to put out positive vibes."

Costa Rica have played at three World Cups but have never got past the second round.

The 38-year-old, who played at the 1990 World Cup and was also in Costa Rica's squad in 2002, replaces Alexandre Guimaraes, who resigned after the Central Americans lost all three group games at this year's tournament in Germany.

Medford blamed poor local stadiums and pitches for hindering Costa Rica's progress and said he would press clubs to invest more in infrastructure.

"If we had the same environment and stadiums that they have in Mexico, we would be challenging the best," he said. "You can't play good soccer on poor pitches."

But he acknowledged that it would be hard work. "We have many economic limitations," he said

Medford added that age would not influence his team selections.

"On my national team there will be no differentiation by age. If you're 15 or 85 and you can play, you're going to play," he said.

Costa Rica's all-time leading scorer Paulo Wanchope announced his international retirement after the World Cup, even though he is only 30.

PURPLE MONSTER

Medford's first hurdle is the CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifying tournament in El Salvador in February.

Medford's only previous coaching job has been with local side Saprissa, where he has enjoyed considerable success since taking over in 2003.

His team won the 2003-04 and 2005-06 Costa Rican titles and the 2005 CONCACAF Champions Cup by beating Mexico's UNAM in the two-legged final.

That victory earned the so-called Purple Monster a place in the World Club championship in Japan the same year.

"The players were the ones who put out the effort and made it possible for me to be appointed," said Medford.

As a player, Medford won 89 caps and scored 18 goals including two of the most important in Costa Rican history.

He hit the winner when they beat Sweden 2-1 to progress to the second round of the 1990 World Cup.

He also scored the decisive goal when the Ticos beat Mexico 2-1 in 2001, becoming the first and only side to defeat the Mexicans in a World Cup qualifier at the Azteca stadium.

Medford retired after playing for clubs in Mexico, Spain, Italy, Austria and the former Yugoslavia.

Updated on Tuesday, Oct 31,

nice target ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:26:33 PM »
Cyd Gray daddy thinking positive. I hope TTFF paying attention. The small islands coming up. The bigger contenders strengthening their positions and we ain't exposing the 2010 players to no higher level of football.

I like the idea of training for the locals. One step in the right direction. The next step is to call them The PFl select and get them some games against decent opposition. Maybe carry them Central or South America. I also think they should have some scrimmages between the Under 17 team, the under 20 and the Under 23. The teams should be mixed though. let the young players get an opportunity to shine.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

1]; } ?>