April 19, 2024, 04:36:24 AM

Author Topic: Gayle played the most important part in the win  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gayle played the most important part in the win
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:22:50 AM »
For too long opposition players have had to put up with likes of Clarke and co running their mouths off for Australia because they knew they had S.Waugh, Warne and McGrath to back them up. Now that these players are on the way out of the game the younger Australians have no one to hide behind and they will have to start performing under pressure themselves.

Gayle 'mentally disintegrated' Clarke and as as result this was the main factor that won us the game. At the time when Australia needed less than a run a ball with 6 wickets in hand something special had to happen for West Indies to win the game and it was Gayle that provided it. As soon as Gayle started sledging Clarke, Clarke decided all of a sudden to play defensively because he was scared of what it would look like if he got out to Gayle. Thus the run rate required reached over a run a ball for the first time in the innings and the rest as they say was history!

It was a great team effort, every batsman tried to get their front foot forward on the pitch and the bowlers stuck to their lines and lengths. There were also great individual perfomances- Morton showed character, Lara played a captains knock, Bravo bowled a great slower ball to get rid of Clarke, and Taylor finished it off with a hat-trick. However i really feel Gayle played the most important part as the game was Australia's to lose when he 'mentally disintegrated' them.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Gayle played the most important part in the win
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 09:38:17 AM »
I agree, but those umpires should have stepped in between Gayle and Clark much sooner.
I ent go lie a win is sweet  ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »
I think if Brian was on the pitch he would have handled the situation and calm Gayle down before it blew up the way it did.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 02:40:38 PM »
Well then its a good thing that Brian was not on the pitch  :beermug:

Gayle won the game for West Indies with his aggression. Its something that has been lacking from West Indies cricket for a number of years.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 02:46:32 PM »
you know what? I agree that that type of agression helped us to win. apparently tho it was the physical contact that caused the fine?? ah well, tough luck gayle, practice how to do that phsyc thing out of earshot of the umps...
mabe King could show them how?  maybe he's the one that taught the aussie team,eh? :-\

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:57:20 PM »
Gayle would have been okay with the match referee if he had of just stuck to verbals. The problem was that he shoulder barged Clarke which was uneccessary. Anyways, Gayle is new to this kind of thing so its a good start. Next time he just has to stick to verbal sledging and get the rest of the guys to join in.  :beermug:

King hasnt taught anyone how to sledge. If he had of taught Gayle then Gayle would not have physically touched Clarke. I just think it was a heat of the moment thing which turned into a masterstroke by Gayle.  :beermug:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 08:31:53 PM »
mabe King could show them how?  maybe he's the one that taught the aussie team,eh? :-
:thinking:  Ann you might have sumting there  :devil: :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »
I agree Gayle's aggression unsettled them. We should do it more. I fed up being nice guy who finish last. I want to win.
BIG UP WI
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 06:56:29 AM »
This illustrates my point better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5SMWSosbZ4

At the time when Gayle started sledging Australia needed 72 runs off 78 balls with 6 wickets remaining. You will see Clarke start blocking instead of playing normally. You will aslo see that Gayle had Gilchrist plum lbw but that damn umpire Koerzten did not give it out.

Congratulations Chris Gayle  :beermug:

1]; } ?>