April 25, 2024, 08:00:39 AM

Poll

Should Stern John be playing in this world cup campaign

yes
8 (61.5%)
no
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Stern John Thread  (Read 298797 times)

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why Stern John is a MUST STARTER for T&T
« Reply #390 on: May 25, 2006, 06:21:15 PM »

he is very consistent as a striker...

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 25, 2006, 06:23:11 PM »
66 goals in 94 games for T&T (Ah jes add de Iceland, Peru and de Austria trainin match to he totals)

Ah not sure men should be counting the Brazil all stars and the Austria Wien game in there, but I just realise something else.

95 - Wales
96 - Slovenia
98 - Czech Republic
99 - Sweden
100 - England

How you figure he should celebrate his 100th cap  :devil:

Sorry just realised why i should have been paying attention in maths class  :-[
England will be his 99th cap...

the Paraguay match will be his 100th, he can still score the goals that send us into the second round... ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 06:42:16 PM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 25, 2006, 06:24:04 PM »
I really want our real striker to shine in the world cup.  I say this because I remember that Stern would come back to play for us no matter what (risking club and all), and he would play wholeheartedly.  This is precisely why he's scored so many goals - dedication.  This is why Leo Beenhakker calls him a class striker.
Yorke on the other hand always blew the trumpet about how he was playing at the very "highest level of football", and then would play a lil something just to say he eh forget we.  That is also why it was so easy for him to walk out on us - back to his "highest level" of football.  It's only after this plan crashed that Yorke decided to play wholeheartedly for us.  Could you imagine that he just scored goals #14 and #15 against Iceland?  Completely Pathetic for a so-called world class striker that played for years at the highest level - Even David Beckham, a midfielder, has more goals than Yorke.

Yorke might be the captain, but dedication and commitment has made Stern John the Boss.
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 25, 2006, 06:25:17 PM »
66 goals in 94 games for T&T (Ah jes add de Iceland, Peru and de Austria trainin match to he totals)

Ah not sure men should be counting the Brazil all stars and the Austria Wien game in there, but I just realise something else.

95 - Wales
96 - Slovenia
98 - Czech Republic
99 - Sweden
100 - England

Nice!  ;D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 25, 2006, 06:30:36 PM »
I really want our real striker to shine in the world cup.  I say this because I remember that Stern would come back to play for us no matter what (risking club and all), and he would play wholeheartedly.  This is precisely why he's scored so many goals - dedication.  This is why Leo Beenhakker calls him a class striker.
Yorke on the other hand always blew the trumpet about how he was playing at the very "highest level of football", and then would play a lil something just to say he eh forget we.  That is also why it was so easy for him to walk out on us - back to his "highest level" of football.  It's only after this plan crashed that Yorke decided to play wholeheartedly for us.  Could you imagine that he just scored goals #14 and #15 against Iceland?  Completely Pathetic for a so-called world class striker that played for years at the highest level - Even David Beckham, a midfielder, has more goals than Yorke.

Yorke might be the captain, but dedication and commitment has made Stern John the Boss.

Yuh eh have to bring dong Yorke to big up Stern sah.  Dwight Yorke experiences in de past is wha make he de man and de player he is today.  If dat is what it take to get he to dis point....more power to Dwight. 

Remember.....Dwight Yorke never play out and out STRIKER too many times for T&T anyway.  Leh we jes give thanks and praises dat we have players like him who represent de red, white & black nah.  I did question Dwight recall to de team and subsequent rise to captain but de greatest gift Bertille St Clair gave our twin island state was to ignore the protests and bring back Dwight...and not jes bring he back...but make he captain.

We needed ALL of our players to get where we are...not jes Stern John.  Remember dat bro.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 25, 2006, 06:33:15 PM »

Yuh eh have to bring dong Yorke to big up Stern sah.  Dwight Yorke experiences in de past is wha make he de man and de player he is today.  If dat is what it take to get he to dis point....more power to Dwight. 

Remember.....Dwight Yorke never play out and out STRIKER too many times for T&T anyway.  Leh we jes give thanks and praises dat we have players like him who represent de red, white & black nah.  I did question Dwight recall to de team and subsequent rise to captain but de greatest gift Bertille St Clair gave our twin island state was to ignore the protests and bring back Dwight...and not jes bring he back...but make he captain.

We needed ALL of our players to get where we are...not jes Stern John.  Remember dat bro.
Point taken Palos.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #396 on: May 25, 2006, 07:12:59 PM »

95 - Wales
96 - Slovenia
98 - Czech Republic
99 - Sweden
100 - England

Sorry just realised why i should have been paying attention in maths class  :-[
England will be his 99th cap...

the Paraguay match will be his 100th, he can still score the goals that send us into the second round... ;D

If you're counting games against clubs like Austria Wein then there is also the St. Pauli game, so your missing 97 would be that and England would still be his 100th.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 25, 2006, 10:22:52 PM »
Does our game vs Austria Wien count as an International cap?  I know Stern played for our national team but I not sure if it counts since we did not play against a national team.  Anybody familiar with the rules concerning this?

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2006, 11:20:19 PM »
Playing against Austria Wein cannot be considered an International cap.  Just like how hey not counting the goals today in the England Belarus game because they say it was a "B" team.  So ah hear the commentator say
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 25, 2006, 11:23:16 PM »
Jus for argument sake, if the dedication of Stern - as well as quality, of course, as well as his consistent injury free availabilty -  has him constantly starting as just reward and encoragement over the years, given the position and type of play who else could have more goals than Stern ?

I will continue to play him and bless T&T. Yet, I am not of the impression that our present forwards, if they were to become our target men, will need 5 chances to score 1,. As a matter of fact I think given their youth and fitness, they will probably create at least 5 more chances for other people. (assist) , which is an ability, given Sterns present state, we could be missing...I don't know, cause we have seen no one else regularly....Yet, I do agree, we can only hypothesize as to"if", yet I have a quiet confidence that if Stern is unable to get the job done, BeenE has ample coverage, and may possibly get more from our younger understudies...they will be ready...Lets' go Stern , Lets' go T&T..

edit: nb. I refer especially to the last 2 years up to next month.. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:26:02 PM by maxg »

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 25, 2006, 11:31:15 PM »
Jus for argument sake, if the dedication of Stern - as well as quality, of course, as well as his consistent injury free availabilty -  has him constantly starting as just reward and encoragement over the years, given the position and type of play who else could have more goals than Stern ?

I will continue to play him and bless T&T. Yet, I am not of the impression that our present forwards, if they were to become our target men, will need 5 chances to score 1,. As a matter of fact I think given their youth and fitness, they will probably create at least 5 more chances for other people. (assist) , which is an ability, given Sterns present state, we could be missing...I don't know, cause we have seen no one else regularly....Yet, I do agree, we can only hypothesize as to"if", yet I have a quiet confidence that if Stern is unable to get the job done, BeenE has ample coverage, and may possibly get more from our younger understudies...they will be ready...Lets' go Stern , Lets' go T&T..

I endorse ths... i always say this and yet men for some reason choose to bash me and waste me down as being "Anti Stern" thats not the case atall..

My points are exactly as you state there man.. cheeers..
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 25, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »
Jus for argument sake, if the dedication of Stern - as well as quality, of course, as well as his consistent injury free availabilty -  has him constantly starting as just reward and encoragement over the years, given the position and type of play who else could have more goals than Stern ?

Seeing that Stern John made his debut for T&T in 1996, I am pretty sure that in the years prior to 1996 other strikers have played for T&T, including such luminaries as Steve David, Buggy Haynes, Genwyn Cust etc.  According to many "old timers"...the midfielders (and players in general) in that era were VASTLY superior to the current team memebers, so it stands to reason that those players had better service.  What is their record in comparison? 

We can "hypothesise" all we want, but the FACTS speak for themselves.  That is something no one can take away from Stern John.

As for whether we have ample coverage....we all hope so.  But to be quite honest...I don't see any other T&T striker scoring the type of goal that Stern scored against Mexico (2nd goal) for example.  Just like I don't see any other T&T player scoring the type of goal that latapy scored against Guatemala.

Is not like we have this potent midfield that creating bagfuls of chances every game for the others to get "more" than Stern's output.  Matter of fact, many on this site repeatedly claim that this Soca Warrior team is inferior in talent and ability to the 2001, 1997, 1993 and 1989 WCQ teams.  If this team is so "limited" in terms of talent therefore "SERVICE" to create chances is less, how is Stern John still the top scorer on the team?  Where would these chances come from for the other players to score?  I would definitely HOPE so...for I want my T&T team to do well....but likely?  Nah.

But we go agree to disagree on this.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:55:51 PM by palos »

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 26, 2006, 01:46:48 AM »
We may have had better individual  players in the past.....we even have players on the team, as you all know, that are past their prime now....

However,,,I can certainly believe this is the BEST TEAM we ever had in the history of TnT.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 26, 2006, 04:49:48 AM »
Dear Mr X

Thank you for your message

Our trading department advice us that Stern John winning the golden boot is available on our website now. The odds are 150/1.

Kind regard
Jenny
Coral Customer Services

Anybody putting some ££$$££$$ on dat?  :beermug:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:57:14 AM by boss »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #404 on: May 26, 2006, 05:15:41 AM »
I was one of the people who supported Stern started even when men were calling for his head. If Beenie could start this man after having 1 point from 3 games then I think that says something of what Stern means to this team. There is no way we would have qualified without this coach and without a player called Stern John.

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 26, 2006, 05:50:16 AM »

Seeing that Stern John made his debut for T&T in 1996, I am pretty sure that in the years prior to 1996 other strikers have played for T&T, including such luminaries as Steve David, Buggy Haynes, Genwyn Cust etc.  According to many "old timers"...the midfielders (and players in general) in that era were VASTLY superior to the current team memebers, so it stands to reason that those players had better service.  What is their record in comparison? 

We can "hypothesise" all we want, but the FACTS speak for themselves.  That is something no one can take away from Stern John.

As for whether we have ample coverage....we all hope so.  But to be quite honest...I don't see any other T&T striker scoring the type of goal that Stern scored against Mexico (2nd goal) for example.  Just like I don't see any other T&T player scoring the type of goal that latapy scored against Guatemala.

Is not like we have this potent midfield that creating bagfuls of chances every game for the others to get "more" than Stern's output.  Matter of fact, many on this site repeatedly claim that this Soca Warrior team is inferior in talent and ability to the 2001, 1997, 1993 and 1989 WCQ teams.  If this team is so "limited" in terms of talent therefore "SERVICE" to create chances is less, how is Stern John still the top scorer on the team?  Where would these chances come from for the other players to score?  I would definitely HOPE so...for I want my T&T team to do well....but likely?  Nah.

But we go agree to disagree on this.

Thank you for clearing this up with them.  Some people could never see Stern John for who he really is just because he never played for ManU.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 26, 2006, 06:08:44 AM »
On de CURRENT TEAM.....Barring Injury that is....

18 goals in 38 WCQ games

Compare dis wit de 2nd highest scorer fuh T&T stats....WHAT DE?
(Have to add 2 goals fuh de matches against Iceland, Peru & Austria trainin match)

When yuh let dat SINK EEN PROPAH.....yuh realise it eh have no nex option.  Nobody else even in de same universe like Stern when it come to scorin goals fuh T&T.  Even if he miss 10 in a game....he still more likely to score dan anybody else on we team. 

Dem stats kinda shock meh in trute.  Stern international goal rate is 1 goal per every 1.4 games.  Dat better dan Ronaldo.

In WCQ is 1 goal every 2 games

De nex man on de totem pole goal rate is 1 goal every 3 games....daz TWICE de number of times Stern more likely to score dan de nex man.  In WCQ...is 1 goal every 6 games fuh de nex man yes. 

Lawd.....wha we woulda do without Stern John in trute?  Me eh care how much goal he trow way....how outta form he is....dem stats dey speak VOLUMES!

Disgruntle?  Wha yuh say?

By de way Flexos....ah love how de fella in de 2nd link give special thanks to soca warriors online fuh he information.

The numbers do speak..however which other striker during "Half slab" time have been given more time at the position? If a striker is given all or most of the time upfront it's only accepted that he should score the most? Additionally..what is is shoot-miss-score ratio.. for the amount of misses we can assume that the chances for him were created..so any other striker, given those chamce may have produced (or not)?

I eh know what is Beenie plans..but it would be nice to see HS come back ah few times and help out when we in trouble.

Not to take anything away from meh boy HS.. cause he's a real dedicated Warrior and a certain level of respect must be shown to him for his contributions.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 26, 2006, 09:33:30 AM »
stern john did not walk into ithe team on his debut in 1996

he pushed someone out of a place and let his boots do the talking

who is pushing him hard on this squad??

u push him he pushes back with a goal u push more he pushes back with a brace

he shows the coach that to pick me is to insure we score to pick them is to see we get chances to score

im sure whoever the strikers were when stern came in men like leonson..i think were wary of this young fellar wit a pistol thinkin he aint go take my spot

but goals talk and like scotty beauty in the austria wein game and jones header d other striker talkin back

PRESIDENT OF THE STERN FOR GOALS COMITTEE
so man like #8 and hyper j who is glenn and jones advocates tell allyuh boys keep pushing they chanc go come
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 26, 2006, 09:51:11 AM »
If it was all about numbers, Angus Eve would be on this Team as a top scoring dedicated scoring midfielder...and he score big goals too...but it is not all about numbers....Please don't misunderstand, I am not calling for banishment of Stern...I just think he should be playing a different role -  ala Yorke, Latapy,, as opposed to being our #1 main go to guy....the role I would personally like to see him play, is more like his earlier days with Birningham...sort of playing the position Yorke now plays, as a supporting forward, as opposed to out and out Striker..His most recent goals, including his big Mexico, did not come from that Striker position, but from the support position...rebound from whitley shot and lateral ricohet from whitleys' tackle.... his one outright striker play was when he was fouled and awarded a penalty...anybody coulda miss that, most would score it....not holding that against nobody...
So I think - depending on the situation of course - he should not be the main target, and would probably benefit from a more hardworking target man, more than the other way round...

nb: I am not doubting BeenE decisions, just suggesting other alternatives, not the solution

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 26, 2006, 10:37:43 AM »
anyway you look at it, STERN JOHN IS OUR BEST STRIKER, YES HE IS!!! ook at stern club season this year, Kenweyne Jones is one d first name to call buh he play more games dan stern this season and scored less dan stern, less danm half, he is an incomplete striker... Stern has the true striker instinct in the end of the days he is still the striker who will pulla goal out he ass, even tho he does throw way...LOOK AT THE GOAL HE SCORE AGAINST PANAMA IN D STADIUM, WHICH ONE OF OUR OTHER STIKERS WAS GOING TO SCORE A GOAL LIKE DAT, IT WASN'T PRETTY, BUT IT WAS A TRUE STRIKERS GOAL AND IT WASN'T THE EASIEST GOAL TO SCORE, throughout his career, i have seen Stern score goals dat looked improbable and none of our pother strikers have yet to show me dat they can do dat as yet.... this is probably what beenhakker has seen in training  and called him a class player, yes he can be a frustrating player buh he is more effective, too many trinidadians does get caught up in d hype, glen, jones arew exciting but do they deliver???  knewenyne jones has 2 goals in 25 games ppl and glen's record isn't special either, the only striker truly capable of taking stern place is scotland and half of allyuh not even checking for him...

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 26, 2006, 10:43:43 AM »
anyway you look at it, STERN JOHN IS OUR BEST STRIKER, YES HE IS!!! ook at stern club season this year, Kenweyne Jones is one d first name to call buh he play more games dan stern this season and scored less dan stern, less danm half, he is an incomplete striker... Stern has the true striker instinct in the end of the days he is still the striker who will pulla goal out he ass, even tho he does throw way...LOOK AT THE GOAL HE SCORE AGAINST PANAMA IN D STADIUM, WHICH ONE OF OUR OTHER STIKERS WAS GOING TO SCORE A GOAL LIKE DAT, IT WASN'T PRETTY, BUT IT WAS A TRUE STRIKERS GOAL AND IT WASN'T THE EASIEST GOAL TO SCORE, throughout his career, i have seen Stern score goals dat looked improbable and none of our pother strikers have yet to show me dat they can do dat as yet.... this is probably what beenhakker has seen in training  and called him a class player, yes he can be a frustrating player buh he is more effective, too many trinidadians does get caught up in d hype, glen, jones arew exciting but do they deliver???  knewenyne jones has 2 goals in 25 games ppl and glen's record isn't special either, the only striker truly capable of taking stern place is scotland and half of allyuh not even checking for him...

There's only one Jason Scotland .... Scotty to blaze in germany
Snake in de balliser

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 26, 2006, 11:36:43 AM »
Arazi, what is the 'hype' that to many T&Tians does get caught up in ? Look ah don't think anybody disputing Stern's ability.

Allow me a question ?

Which Stern would ppl select for this Team...Stern John '96 or Stern John'05 ?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2006, 11:40:33 AM »
Arazi, what is the 'hype' that to many T&Tians does get caught up in ? Look ah don't think anybody disputing Stern's ability.

Allow me a question ?

How about just Stern John.

Tink people in Brazil does be talkin bout leh we select Ronaldo from 1996 instead a Ronaldo in 2006?

You self man maxg. 

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 26, 2006, 11:53:41 AM »

I aint too like dis nah ! Yorke is  a boss and as a striker when he was in he prime stern aint want nothing with him, i wonder who got traded at Birmingham to make room for Yorke.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 26, 2006, 11:56:40 AM »

Allow me a question ?

How about just Stern John.

Tink people in Brazil does be talkin bout leh we select Ronaldo from 1996 instead a Ronaldo in 2006?

You self man maxg. 

;D Then they shoulda pick Romario instead....the numbers has spoken  ;)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #415 on: May 26, 2006, 12:01:35 PM »
stern john did not walk into ithe team on his debut in 1996

he pushed someone out of a place and let his boots do the talking

who is pushing him hard on this squad??

u push him he pushes back with a goal u push more he pushes back with a brace

he shows the coach that to pick me is to insure we score to pick them is to see we get chances to score

im sure whoever the strikers were when stern came in men like leonson..i think were wary of this young fellar wit a pistol thinkin he aint go take my spot

but goals talk and like scotty beauty in the austria wein game and jones header d other striker talkin back

PRESIDENT OF THE STERN FOR GOALS COMITTEE
so man like #8 and hyper j who is glenn and jones advocates tell allyuh boys keep pushing they chanc go come

I have the same opinion. Leave Stern where he is. If you're arguing on merit Stern can't be removed. If the idea of replacing Stern is one of succession planning then it makes a little more sense and even then he should still play a part 2010.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 26, 2006, 12:18:58 PM »
Did someone say remove him ? If I missed that post, sorry .

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 26, 2006, 12:33:08 PM »
Another question : What is Stern greatest strength as a forward for T&T ?

I happen to think it is his "shot" and screening ability, USED to be his quick turn,speed, heading ability and shot.
thus I would play him in a position where he is most likely get a chance to use his best ability, that's all.

If I am wrong on what I (not all Trinidadians) percieve to be the change in his game (lack of my privy to practice info), then my reasoning is incorrect. I am basing my opinion on my observation of his games - before and after his knee injury.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 26, 2006, 01:27:26 PM »

66 goals in 94 games.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #419 on: May 26, 2006, 01:44:40 PM »

I happen to think it is his "shot" and screening ability, USED to be his quick turn,speed, heading ability and shot.
thus I would play him in a position where he is most likely get a chance to use his best ability, that's all.

If I am wrong on what I (not all Trinidadians) percieve to be the change in his game (lack of my privy to practice info), then my reasoning is incorrect. I am basing my opinion on my observation of his games - before and after his knee injury.

Stern scored no fewer than 12 goals in qualifying 2nd only to Borgetti with 14 who scored a fistful against St. Kitts and St. Vincent and Dominica in their stadiums in the sky, compared to Stern's  6 goals in 10 games in the hex. If there was something tactically wrong with Stern's role on the field the coach would have moved him.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 01:51:58 PM by Jah Gol »

1]; } ?>