April 16, 2024, 12:14:12 PM

Poll

Should Stern John be playing in this world cup campaign

yes
8 (61.5%)
no
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Stern John Thread  (Read 297555 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John can take it or leave it
« Reply #1260 on: June 17, 2009, 11:11:06 AM »
I hope he takes it and run.... this is a good opporunity.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #1261 on: June 17, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »
Stern John can take it or leave it
crewonespot.blogspot.com

According to Shawn Mitchell's blog:
Former Crew striker Stern John recently expressed interest in returning to Columbus at some point in his career although he indicated last month that he'd like to stay in England for another season.

He was in town last week but did not meet with Crew officials. He reportedly was asking some questions about the club and getting a read on what it might be like to play for Robert Warzycha.

John, a free agent, spent the last 10 years in England after scoring a whopping 44 goals in 55 games for the Crew in 1998 and '99. He would likely command a much higher salary than the Crew is currently able to offer although off-loading another six-figure salary might help open enough cap space for the 32-year-old John.

The Crew is on the hunt for a more prolific scorer but it appears a trade of current striker Alejandro Moreno ($137,000) is unlikely.

"We're not going to move (Moreno). He is too important to the team and the locker room," a team source said today.

My thoughts:
Stern should be falling over himself to sign a $175,000 dollar contract for four months of soccer with the Crew and to be getting services from Schelotto.

It's probably the best option he has at reviving his career, as I doubt any midfield general type in the Championship is anywhere near Schelotto's level. Or could give John opportunities like Schelotto.

If I was McCullers, I would say, "we'll talk about a contract increase next year, once you prove that you can score goals again."

John has only scored 2 goals in 24 appearances with Bristol City in the last two seasons. Bristol City is a middle of the table Championship side that the Crew could probably compete against.

If Stern is too slow on the uptake to realize that now is his only opportunity to get back with the Crew, then that's his problem. The Crew have said, "hey we are looking for an attacker who can score goals before CONCACAF." Hello? They might already have an attacker John by the time you finish up one more year in England.

It's not like the Crew are going to wait for John to say, "okay, here I am, I'm ready!" Then cut three or four players to make salary room. This is a different MLS then 98 and 99, and John isn't the commodity he used to be.

If John isn't willing to prove himself now for a lesser salary. I would just go the Ekpo route($118,000) and sign a young Ghana striker(U-23 type) for the $175,000. I think we can all agree(I mean mostly agree as some Crew fans have trouble recognizing talent) that Ekpo has been worth it.

I'm also glad they are holding onto Moreno. A stab at John or someone else may be worth Noonan, who is a bench player. But, not both Noonan and Moreno, no way.

I say if John was enthusiastic about coming to the Crew now for that salary, then okay, let's think about it. But, his recent production doesn't merit the Crew taking a big risk on him. They would be better off perhaps just looking for a younger striker.

''John has only scored 2 goals in 24 appearances with Bristol City in the last two seasons.''

...with Bristol City the last 2 seasons  ??? ???
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: June 17, 2009, 04:38:26 PM »
Like Simpauls write dah headline.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 17, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
Somebody please update on any progress in the treatment Stern's "pinched nerve".
Big up.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 17, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »
Like Simpauls write dah headline.

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
MLS Alums: Stern test ahead for John
« Reply #1265 on: August 07, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »
MLS Alums: Stern test ahead for John.
By: Mark C. Young (MLSnet.com).

Entering 11th English season, ex-Crew striker hoping to rise again

With all due respect to legendary crooner Andy Williams, August is the most wonderful time of the year. Lazy days on the beach, roadside stands bursting with fresh corn, and most importantly, the kickoff of the English soccer season. While the 2009-10 English Premier League season doesn't begin until Aug. 15, this week the lower tiers swing into action. And on Saturday, Aug. 8, a former MLS scoring champion will embark on his 11th English campaign, this time at Selhurst Park for his new team, Crystal Palace -- ex-Columbus Crew striker Stern John.

Last week, the Trinidad and Tobago star signed with the Eagles after rejecting a new contract offer from his previous team, Southampton. His move caused some consternation on the south coast, where Southampton boss Alan Pardew was uncharacteristically critical of John's last-minute change of heart. But the Saints were relegated from The Championship last season, and Palace offers John an outside shot at reaching EPL nirvana.

The Championship ought to be renamed the EPL (the English Purgatory League). Every team prays to get out of it in order to gain eternal access (hopefully) to the massive television money available in the "big show." Palace is trying to hang onto their two young striking prodigies, Victor Moses and Sean Scannell, but John is an insurance policy that could pay dividends even if neither of them leaves in the next couple of weeks. Another reason Palace's shrewd manager, Neil Warnock, signed John is because he has a history of helping teams gain promotion to the top flight. Most famously, his last-minute goal at Millwall put Birmingham City into the 2002 playoff final. Subsequently, he scored in the penalty-kick shootout against Norwich to help clinch EPL promotion for the Blues. More recently, he helped Sunderland gain EPL upward mobility in 2007.

The new campaign not only offers John a chance at shooting for the EPL, but also a chance at reestablishing his reputation as a prolific goal scorer. Last season was a nightmare for John. Playing briefly for Southampton and then on loan at Bristol City, he scored only three goals in 36 games. In his MLS days, he was better known for scoring three goals per game. It was his reputation as a hat-trick man which gained the Socca Warrior the attention of European scouts. In his two seasons with Columbus, John bagged six hat tricks, one of them coming in a 5-1 playoff game win over D.C. United in 1999.

The T&T international has deep roots in U.S. soccer. He played varsity ball at Mercer County Community College in Monmouth, N.J., and in 1997 was noticed by MLS scouts when he scored 16 goals in 26 games for the A-League's New Orleans Riverboat Gamblers. Columbus took a gamble on the young striker after John's cousin (and then Crew defender) Ansil Elcock recommended him to the team. It was one of the best signings in MLS history.

In his rookie season, John led the league with 26 goals, and won the 1998 MLS scoring crown with 57 points. In his sophomore year, his 18 goals tied him with Jason Kreis for the 1999 MLS Golden Boot. After recording a two-season haul of 44 goals in 55 regular season games, former two-time European Cup winners Nottingham Forest landed John's service in one of MLS's first major transfer deals.

At the City Ground, John found his goal-scoring groove quickly. And with a succession of clubs in England, the now veteran striker established his reputation as a reliable goal scorer, although mainly at the Championship level. Crystal Palace is betting that he can find his old form again and help them challenge for a promotion place.

John, who will turn 33 in October, has signed a one-year deal with Palace and knows he has a lot to prove. But never count out a natural born goal scorer, particularly one who four years ago helped his country become the smallest nation ever to qualify for the World Cup Finals. It seems unlikely that John and Trinidad will repeat their extraordinary World Cup qualifying exploits this time around, but he might just spark life into the Palace young guard this season. The man known as "Bravo" shoots to kickoff one more bravura goal-scoring season on Saturday. Crew fans, for sure, will be wishing him well.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: MLS Alums: Stern test ahead for John
« Reply #1266 on: August 07, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
Some things stood out in this report

It seems unlikely that John and Trinidad will repeat their extraordinary World Cup qualifying exploits this time around, but ......

Well we will just see about that.

It was his reputation as a hat-trick man which gained the Socca Warrior ....

Might have to fix it

The new campaign not only offers John a chance at shooting for the EPL, but also a chance at reestablishing his reputation as a prolific goal scorer. Last season was a nightmare for John. Playing briefly for Southampton and then on loan at Bristol City, he scored only three goals in 36 games. In his MLS days, he was better known for scoring three goals per game. It was his reputation as a hat-trick man which gained the Socca Warrior the attention of European scouts. In his two seasons with Columbus, John bagged six hat tricks, one of them coming in a 5-1 playoff game win over D.C. United in 1999.

Now he known as bound tuh score if yuh give him 5 chances

Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 07, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »
Some things stood out in this report

It seems unlikely that John and Trinidad will repeat their extraordinary World Cup qualifying exploits this time around, but ......

Well we will just see about that.

It was his reputation as a hat-trick man which gained the Socca Warrior ....

Might have to fix it

Now he known as bound tuh score if yuh give him 5 chances

Point no.1 is valid. There is nothing to wait and see about it. Right now it is unlikely
Hart for president

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #1268 on: August 07, 2009, 01:13:39 PM »
time to protest the existence of this current ttff - time to express your vote of no confidence in this group of bandits.

viva la revoluccion
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 07, 2009, 03:29:29 PM »
Join me Deese...but dont tell palos...he might tell camps...

" CAN'T STAND IT... I KNOW YOU PLANNED IT .. IT'S A SABOTAGE"" (The Beastie Boys)

..REVOLUTION COMING SOON
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 07, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »
No mention that he just might do it again for T&T. I wonder if he got a call up.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 08, 2009, 01:49:01 AM »
Play yuh football No.14

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern John close to Palace return
« Reply #1272 on: September 29, 2009, 04:31:05 AM »
Stern John close to Palace return
By Richard Cawley (South London Press)

CRYSTAL Palace striker Stern John is set to have his cast removed today - and could be back from his dislocated elbow after the international break.

The Eagles forward suffered the injury just 30 minutes into his debut for the club on the opening day of the season. Palace boss Neil Warnock said: “Once Stern has got the cast removed he will need two to three weeks to get fit.”

If John only takes a fortnight to get back in shape it would put him in contention to be involved in the home match against Cardiff on October 17.

Freddie Sears, who has missed the last two games with an ankle problem, is expected to be available for the visit of the Bluebirds.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John close to Palace return
« Reply #1273 on: September 29, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »
good news
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 29, 2009, 11:07:16 AM »
It's a bird.

No, it's a plane.

NO IT's BERRIS!!

Més que un club.

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: September 29, 2009, 07:41:25 PM »
 ::)
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 29, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »
It's a bird.

No, it's a plane.

NO IT's BERRIS!!

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #1277 on: September 29, 2009, 09:57:33 PM »
Play football. 

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 29, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
Hit dem hard on the return
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 30, 2009, 03:31:26 AM »
Welcome back Stern and Berris  :beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1280 on: October 02, 2009, 05:36:09 AM »
John raring to go.
Yahoo! Eurosport.

Crystal Palace striker Stern John is determined to make up for lost time after injury ruined the start of his Selhurst Park career.

The Trinidad & Tobago forward suffered a dislocated elbow barely half an hour into his Eagles debut, and is targeting a return to action after the international break.

"It's been a frustrating time. The lads are all really excited about what we can achieve this season, but I still feel like the new boy around the place because I haven't had time on the pitch," he said.

"I'm already six to eight weeks behind everyone else. I've kept myself as fit as possible but I can't wait to get back on the pitch and start scoring goals for Palace."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline john_public

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: October 02, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »
anybody looking to take a few games when stern back in action?   :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: October 02, 2009, 10:48:19 AM »
anybody looking to take a few games when stern back in action?   :beermug:

Yeah, I think I might! I don't live to far from Selhurst Park in London.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: October 03, 2009, 06:52:51 AM »
It's a bird.

No, it's a plane.

NO IT's BERRIS!!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I weak

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: October 03, 2009, 07:33:25 AM »
Good to see Stern was keeping fit and runnin' on de treadmill, doin' crunches and 1 hand push ups  ;D while he other elbow was healing. Go Stern! You a true professional and I know that you will be a true supporter and contributor as long as you can fuh yuh padnah Latas while he is at de helm.

Big up  :beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline mouie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: October 05, 2009, 04:37:10 AM »
I sure is stern I see playin chess at the elk lodge,how old is stern? ;D 

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern John back in training
« Reply #1287 on: October 13, 2009, 05:57:04 AM »
John, Sears & Davis all back in training
cpfc.co.uk

Neil Warnock has confirmed that Freddie Sears, Stern John and Claude Davis will make a return to full training today, and could possibly feature in a practice match at the Beckenham Training ground.

Speaking to www.cpfc.co.uk Neil said:

"Stern, Freddie and Claude will all be making a return to training today, and we will look at involving them in a practice match in the afternoon. It is only a match between ourselves but it is a hugely encouraging that we could have all three involved today."

Stern has been out since dislocating his elbow on the opening day of the season, Freddie picked up an ankle strain against Scun thorpe while Claude struggled initially with a muscle strain before picking up a virus that has kept him away from the squad for the past couple of weeks.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: October 13, 2009, 07:05:18 AM »
This real minor but...he say Stern name first, that could mean that Stern is the person he most looking forward to seeing when he make the comeback :-)
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern John's in line to start after good return
« Reply #1289 on: October 20, 2009, 04:46:28 AM »
Stern John's in line to start after good return
London Evening Standard

Stern John could tonight make his first start since the opening day of the season having impressed on his return at the weekend.

The Crystal Palace striker, who has been sidelined with a dislocated elbow, played in the final 15 minutes of the draw with Cardiff and twice came close to grabbing the winner.

Ahead of tonight's match at Leicester, Palace assistant manager Mick Jones said: "He looked very good in the short time he had on the pitch. He looked sharp, which was good news. To be fair I thought he might have scored with the header. And if he had a bit more match time in recent weeks I think he would have. His timing was just a bit off."

The Cardiff game also saw Freddie Sears (above) return from an ankle injury. Sears, who is on loan from West Ham, came on as substitute and could start tonight.

It is a timely boost for manager Neil Warnock who saw Victor Moses and Darren Ambrose hobble out of the Cardiff game with injury.

1]; } ?>