April 27, 2024, 07:35:54 AM

Author Topic: Panday Loses Couva North - Ooops  (Read 2097 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Panday Loses Couva North - Ooops
« on: October 21, 2006, 10:31:41 PM »
RIA TAITT Newsday - Saturday, October 21 2006

Basdeo Panday is now history as far as the Parliament of Trinidad and Tobago is concerned. After thirty years in the saddle as member of Parliament for Couva North, his seat becomes vacant on Monday, ending his career as an elected politician.

Confirming this yesterday was House Speaker Barry Sinanan, who speaking to Newsday during the teabreak said, “So far no member has moved to extend his (Panday) time (as a MP).”

“So if the Parliament is finished today and no member moves (a motion) he’s out. I don’t think it (a motion to have Panday’s term extended) is going to happen,” he said, adding that normally if it was to happen, it would have happened before the debate on the Provisional Collection of Taxes Order began.

Asked why no motion had been brought by the UNC MPs in the Parliament seeking to extend his life as a parliamentarian, Panday, 73, said, “First of all, I don’t want any favours from anybody. Secondly, I don’t need office to do the work I have to do.”

He said he would continue to serve the Couva North constituency. Asked about his status in TT politics now, he said that did not depend on the office he held. Panday replied, “It depends upon the work I do.”

Asked whether he felt sad to leave the legislature, Panday, who admitted that Parliament was once his ‘home’, said, “Feel sad at not being in Parliament?

“I feel invigorated in a new kind of struggle. I am now free of electoral politics. You can imagine the power that gives me. God!”

There cannot be a by-election because the vacancy falls in the last year of the parliamentary term, sources said yesterday. Asked whether he would be willing to serve as a candidate again in the next election, Panday said, “That question will have to be decided when that time reaches, I haven’t thought about it.”

Asked how he felt about his court case, Panday said, “I have seen that Mr Manning has been trying to influence the court and I can only hope that he does not succeed.”

Panday, who endorsed Winston Dookeran as political leader of the UNC, said that was “one of the biggest mistakes” he had made in his life.

Today marks 150 days since Panday was convicted for failing to declare his London bank account to the Integrity Commission. His conviction meant that under the Constitution he could not perform the functions of a member of Parliament such as attend sittings. But he was not required to vacate his seat because under the Constitution the Speaker was permitted to give to Panday a maximum extension of 150 days so he could pursue an appeal of his conviction.

After this 150 day interval, any further extension had to be done with the expressed approval of the House, via a resolution. This was not done. Because today is not a working day, Panday’s seat does not legally become vacant until Monday.

Sinanan said he wrote to Panday setting out all the conditions – that any further extension required the approval of the House, signified in writing.

Sources said the onus was then on Panday to appeal to any MP or to ask the Speaker’s assistance in getting the approval of the House.

Sinanan said any government minister could move a motion or any opposition member could seek the permission of the House to suspend the Standing Orders to allow him to move a motion for the extension.

Sources said that though Panday gives up Couva North, his power in the politics of the UNC had nothing to do with office, but with his personal charisma, which despite his condition remains fairly undiminished.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Panday Loses Couva North - Ooops
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 10:33:27 PM »
Now let's see if Dookeran and Kamla could talk like adults now without the leggo beast around.

I'm telling allyuh they forming of a new P Party "REAL Unity"
mark meh words :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:12:52 AM by TriniCana »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:37:42 PM »
Now let's see if Dookeran and Kamla could talk like adults now without the leggo beast around.

I'm telling allyuh the forming of a new P Party "REAL Unity"
mark meh words :beermug:
I wouldn't doubt it either

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 11:18:43 PM »
I ent tink he go let go jez so nuh,
he go come like ah "mutant 24 hour lizard" and latch orn............hopefully NOT ;)

Thanks Panday for all your hard work and encouraging Mr Warner to join ya party.................NOT
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 02:06:36 AM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 01:06:13 AM »
Allyuh ain't think after how much donkey years in policitics is time for him to spend more time with Oma. Is not like he need to work to pay he bills when he have frien like Lawrence and Ish to support financially.

Dey man is 73 going on 90, it have his daughs and Ato and the rest of dey "youth" league ready to continue where he left off..well I hope not really, but allyuh know what ah mean.

Some where ah read he say "it was his worst decision to put Dookie as leader". You ain't see he's ah nastiness
He own frien and partner in politics and at one point he righ hand.  Basdeo hadda remember dat is NOT he dat put Dookie there but he was VOTED in by the MPs and representatives. Ya know if ya have Basdeo as ya frien ya ain't need enemies nah.

Relax Bas, Woman Kams on dey bass now :beermug: :beermug:

Wait nah dat mean Oma hadda go look fur a job now, ah wonder what she resume and job title go look like
Domestic Engineer DuSt, CLn

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 09:31:32 AM »
Now dey really want to UNC to end up like NJAC...

Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 10:45:09 AM »
Now dey really want to UNC to end up like NJAC...

meaning wha big dawg ???
ah cyah remember much bout NJAC..

gimme some insight please ;D

TrinInfinite

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 01:15:36 PM »
this is good news, i wish this would happen to manning also, now ramesh can take over the leadership, this is what unc need :beermug:

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 03:14:59 PM »
this is good news, i wish this would happen to manning also, now ramesh can take over the leadership, this is what unc need :beermug:

so yuha dmitting now dat yuh is ha damn UNC?

Ramesh eh taking over nutten in my lifetime, and me eh intend tuh dead anytime soon.  In fatc ah feel ah go outlive Ramesh.

Not ah damn seat fuh dem!

truetrini

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 03:31:18 PM »

TT...what good will come out of the PNM winning all dey seats?

U really think that better than some of the other parties winning seats?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 03:39:09 PM »
Does anybody really think Cop is going to win a single seat ?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 03:48:55 PM »

so yuha dmitting now dat yuh is ha damn UNC?

Ramesh eh taking over nutten in my lifetime, and me eh intend tuh dead anytime soon.  In fatc ah feel ah go outlive Ramesh.

Not ah damn seat fuh dem!

TT me ain't know why you taking him on and he ta ta ya know
steups

he fail tur realize is BASDEO bring back Ramash and dey oders didn't want him.
now Bas gone...what ya tink go happen tur Ramash

When Kams say jump, Wade and dey others does ask how high and we'll wait fur ya to say come down  :beermug:

1]; } ?>