June 16, 2024, 04:43:08 PM

Author Topic: Beenhakker hits out at state of Polish football  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Beenhakker hits out at state of Polish football
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:23:54 AM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=387239&cc=3888

WARSAW, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Emboldened by a shock victory over Portugal this month, Polish national coach Leo Beenhakker laid into critics on Monday, saying the domestic game and its coaches had fallen 20 years behind the rest of Europe.

During his three months in charge, the former Real Madrid and Ajax trainer has drawn criticism from senior FA figures, including Wembley 1973 goalkeeping hero Jan Tomaszewski, angered by the choice of a foreigner for the post.

Local media reported Beenhakker was on the verge of resigning after a goalkeeping coach was replaced against his will and after rows over travel organisation for this month's Euro 2008 qualifier against Kazakhstan.

A 2-1 win over World Cup semi-finalists Portugal put the Poles back in contention for a place in the finals, however, and the Dutchman made clear he was going nowhere.

'The declarations by all these Tomaszewskis etc are just rubbish,' Beenhakker was quoted as saying by leading daily Gazeta Wyborcza in an interview on Monday. 'I have honestly not given it more than five minutes' thought.'

'I know these words will damage me but I believe your football has completely lost contact with the outside world. Poles play now as we did 20 years ago. Abroad, foreign football has moved on. Here it has stood still.'

Defeats by Ecuador and Germany ended Poland's World Cup finals in June at the group stage and Beenhakker was appointed by FA chief Michal Listkiewicz in a bid to shore up his position during a scandal over high-level match-fixing.

An opening home loss to Finland in Euro 2008 qualifying fuelled criticism of the new coach but the game with Portugal reversed the mood, prompting memories of a golden era that brought Poland World Cup third places in 1974 and 1982.

'The only thing that bothers me is that...I have heard no constructive suggestions, just criticism. And things really are bad with the Polish domestic game,' Beenhakker said.

'Legia's Champions League (qualifying) game with Shakhtar Donetsk was a disaster. And now Shakhtar in the Champions League is a disaster as well.'

'The three main problems are: lack of infrastructure, lack of a proper youth training programme and the absence of a system for training coaches. Polish coaches are doing the best they can. But they must not lose touch with the rest of the world.'

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Beenhakker hits out at state of Polish football
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:32:49 AM »
Papayo! I love Beenie's confidence. He doh mince words at all boy and like he geyyin' on more than before! I wish he could come back and silence the shit talkers in this country. He is a giant and likkle Trinbago, believe it or not, has added to his confidence.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:44:56 AM »
Papayo! I love Beenie's confidence. He doh mince words at all boy and like he geyyin' on more than before! I wish he could come back and silence the shit talkers in this country. He is a giant and likkle Trinbago, believe it or not, has added to his confidence.

It is easy to talk big when you win but Beenie will find statements like those will alienate him from the local coaches whose support he needs to have. As long as he keeps winning all will be fine but in top level football you are as good as your last result and one slip could send you packing. Poland still has to qualify for Europe. If Beenie gets them there he will be a hero ..if not he will be a zero and may well be rueing his so barve words of today.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 10:56:03 AM »
Good point Jai john. But guess what, Beenie doh care. Somehow I doh feel he happy there. He jus' waiting for them to fire him after or before his "2 yr contract" with Poland done. He sounds like he has no respect, and possibly contempt, for them or else he wouldn't have said that as he knows how to be diplomatic. He cyah wait to join up wit sweet T&T in 2 yrs when we about to start real action. De boy missing a sweet roti, doubles, pelau, shark and bake and a good wine in Maracas ;D. Doh frighten he coming back at de right time.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:57:33 AM »
Good point Jai john. But guess what, Beenie doh care. Somehow I doh feel he happy there. He jus' waiting for them to fire him after or before his "2 yr contract" with Poland done. He sounds like he has no respect, and possibly contempt, for them or else he wouldn't have said that as he knows how to be diplomatic. He cyah wait to join up wit sweet T&T in 2 yrs when we about to start real action. De boy missing a sweet roti, doubles, pelau, shark and bake and a good wine in Maracas ;D. Doh frighten he coming back at de right time.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Boy for dat I would come back too yes !

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:58:27 AM »

It is easy to talk big when you win but Beenie will find statements like those will alienate him from the local coaches whose support he needs to have. As long as he keeps winning all will be fine but in top level football you are as good as your last result and one slip could send you packing. Poland still has to qualify for Europe. If Beenie gets them there he will be a hero ..if not he will be a zero and may well be rueing his so barve words of today.

Well gally did not get us to the WC so i guess he is a zero ent  ;D
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »

Well gally did not get us to the WC so i guess he is a zero ent  ;D

which part did you not get ? was it the roti or just the part about Beenie in Poland ?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 11:27:27 AM »
If Beenie gets them there he will be a hero ..if not he will be a zero and may well be rueing his so barve words of today.

I don't see why  he would rue those words.  You mean if they don't continue his contract after a non-qualification?
Beenhakker doh bound to stay there.  He probably doh even want to stay there.  Iz not like he take over a bomb-squad that supposed to qualify. His reputation is good enough to get him a job elsewhere. 
 Plus the man ready to retire anytime.  How old he is?  70+?

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 11:36:23 AM »

Beenie doh strike me as the kinda fella to rue any of his words.
If they dont qualify and they fire him, he will call them all shitsnakes and blame the infrastructure and ride out.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 11:44:43 AM »
sound like de same problems he leave here...he encountering over there

He like stress in he ole age or wha?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 11:48:21 AM »

De problems over dey soundin' wus-erer dread  ;D. He eh insult we so.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 12:00:17 PM »

The man is a professional,he is given a job and he is doing it,he realize if things are to improve changes have to be made,people start getting uneasy because of what he is doing,is the same thing he did in T&T but was successfull lets hope it works for him in Poland,Coaches are gamblers it's a risky job,they are taking chances all the time,nothing is guaranteed to work.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 12:03:26 PM »

YUH SEE IS NOT ONLY IN TRINI SHIT DIS GO ON. I AM SURE POLAND HAVE AN EQUIVALENT JACK WARNER CHARACTER IN THEIR ADMINISTRATION TOO. The deba over foreign coaches continue no matter where you go. If the Poles are serious about their football, they should pay heed to Beenie's words.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 01:10:33 PM »
I think Beenie is getting a lot of resistance to the things he wants to see implemented.  Although Beenie doesn't seem like a developmental type of coach, he is quick to highlight the shortcomings of lack of a proper football infrastructure.  The reason why he wasn't as harsh with us is that we were willing to listen to him.  Looks like the Poles feel they already have the answer, and Beenie is saying "Wake up, fellas.  Allyuh ain't have no answers, and as a matter of fact allyuh football in the donosaur ages."  I think he realize how nice it is to work with people that have a genuine appreciation for your expertise.  No disrespect, but the only think Poland churning out in abundance is good goalkeepers.  Otherwise, their players are not really elite.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »
Seeing that Beenhaker keeps emphasizing the importance of a proper youth system, what steps have we taken to implement such a structure, and  what are the procedures to sustain consistent, continuous development of youth soccer in T&T?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>