April 18, 2024, 03:28:10 AM

Author Topic: Clyde Leon Thread  (Read 28920 times)

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
Re: Leon joins Colombian club.
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2011, 04:18:05 PM »
Ah wonder why dis boy going Colombia ent Colombian players daz come in TT to play dey football.

Ent Brazilian players does come to TT to play dey football?

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »
Good luck to Clyde, Pfister loves this guy a lot ! He said he is impress with his attitude and discipline.

Jack will raise again !!!!!!!!!!!

And no mention of his technical skills and ability to read the game?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
I don't know what yuh mean by that deese but if yuh saying in ah nut shell that leon is ah shit snake, then i with yuh on that.
That is exactly what I mean. And how the hell Latas makes this man captain of the national team is beyond me.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2011, 02:44:09 AM »
Ah wonder why dis boy going Colombia ent Colombian players daz come in TT to play dey football.

Ent Brazilian players does come to TT to play dey football?
Ah cant thank yuh enuff for that bit of info,i'll use it in my project. ;D

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Good luck to Clyde, Pfister loves this guy a lot ! He said he is impress with his attitude and discipline.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
I don't know what yuh mean by that deese but if yuh saying in ah nut shell that leon is ah shit snake, then i with yuh on that.
That is exactly what I mean. And how the hell Latas makes this man captain of the national team is beyond me.

that is rel ignorance as usual...as i always say....fans have the right to say whatever they feel like because that is what a fan do. So much other national players trying to get a contract and cant see there way, the guy get ah opportunity and thy the nonsense allyuh talking. What level ah football allyuh ever play to judge ah player. Every time ah player get ah opportunity to go on trial... once is not somebody favorite player.... they being attacked. Grow up and be logical...not brainless....NORMEL.....

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2011, 08:47:07 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

that is rel ignorance as usual...as i always say....fans have the right to say whatever they feel like because that is what a fan do. So much other national players trying to get a contract and cant see there way, the guy get ah opportunity and thy the nonsense allyuh talking. What level ah football allyuh ever play to judge ah player. Every time ah player get ah opportunity to go on trial... once is not somebody favorite player.... they being attacked. Grow up and be logical...not brainless....NORMEL.....

Leave them Loyalist, they can't see it. So leave them.

I'll say this Clyde Leon is the type of player the avg Trinidadian fan/onlooker wouldn't rate but he is a quality player. But once you doh pelt blade, hit men spanner, pipe bullet or play killer thru passes yuh not good. Leon is a boss for the position he plays, that's why Pfister rate him and he get this contract.

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

I'll say this Clyde Leon is the type of player the avg Trinidadian fan/onlooker wouldn't rate but he is a quality player. But once you doh pelt blade, hit men spanner, pipe bullet or play killer thru passes yuh not good. Leon is a boss for the position he plays, that's why Pfister rate him and he get this contract.
He does a lot of off the ball work that lots of trinidadian footballers lack, marking, tracking covering space. He has been around the national team since u 20's, and coaches come and go have him on the national team. So he has to be doing something different to be around the national set up.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »
Regardless of whatever people personal opinions is about the player, the bottom line is a national player getting an opportunity to ply his trade outside in a different league and environment. More likely than not that will be of benefit to him and by extension our national programme.

Best of luck Leon!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2011, 10:52:36 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

I happen to share deese's sentiment so jump on my case too. no one said anything about his trial, ah man mention that Pfister likes this guy's work ethic and deese replied to it.

he never mentioned anything about the trial, but rather the guy's lack of technical ability and his inability to read the game, and he's right, the guy is a very poor passer, ball handler and finisher. hek, even birchall whom i don't rate as much as allyuh is way better than this guy in terms of passing and attacking, and latas hung him out to dry.

yes it's good to have a work horse in the middle, but latas was playing with two in the middle of the park, and as starters (leon and trent noel)! that's why the team lacked creativity for so long. i not saying that yuh don't give leon ah run, but he has tuh learn how to make ah proper 30 yard pass, and not just once but @ least three times in ah game.

we have better options than this guy, even bleeder is ah better option, and ppl on here does dog bleeder to no ends and i don't see allyuh running to defend his honor.

anyway, i wish the fella all the best, hope he lands the contract and learn from the spanish dem how to be ah better player. on another note, i would bet any amount ah money that pancho is the one who got him that trial (since pancho was another one who was infatuated with this skilless player).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:55:37 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

I happen to share deese's sentiment so jump on my case too. no one said anything about his trial, ah man mention that Pfister likes this guy's work ethic and deese replied to it.

he never mentioned anything about the trial, but rather the guy's lack of technical ability and his inability to read the game, and he's right, the guy is a very poor passer, ball handler and finisher. hek, even birchall whom i don't rate as much as allyuh is way better than this guy in terms of passing and attacking, and latas hung him out to dry.

yes it's good to have a work horse in the middle, but latas was playing with two in the middle of the park, and as starters (leon and trent noel)! that's why the team lacked creativity for so long. i not saying that yuh don't give leon ah run, but he has tuh learn how to make ah proper 30 yard pass, and not just once but @ least three times in ah game.

we have better options than this guy, even bleeder is ah better option, and ppl on here does dog bleeder to no ends and i don't see allyuh running to defend his honor.

anyway, i wish the fella all the best, hope he lands the contract and learn from the spanish dem how to be ah better player. on another note, i would bet any amount ah money that pancho is the one who got him that trial (since pancho was another one who was infatuated with this skilless player).

Cool i eh fighting you or Deese, my post was directed to loyalist.

But by saying it have better options and LISTING Bleeder as one, you still fail to recognise what Leon does in his position that impresses coaches et al.

He plays his position to a tee. If Trent Noel run with him and midfield and it lack creativity that on Noel who supposed to be the more offensive player. Mind you I thought Leon was shit just like alyuh till it had some WCQ, I think it was El Salvador in the Stadium and they subbed him off and I saw firsthand exactly what he was doing for the team, because he replacement a then over the hill Dwight just well didn't or perhaps COULDN'T do. El Salvador start to boss the midfield and run the game essentially after he came off.

His game is to plug gaps, clog passing lanes and link the defense to the midfield. Perhaps the best international example of a player currently playing his role is Barcelona's Sergio Busquets (also widely regarded as the weakest link at Barca)

I would agree however, if you playing Leon it is important to have another CM who would complement in our else you're in problems.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:46:26 AM by Arazi »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
good luck leon...play de fitball

not surprised by the Pfister talk on Leon
hear from national players that leon trains very well...so
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »
Cool i eh fighting you or Deese, my post was directed to loyalist.

But by saying it have better options and LISTING Bleeder as one, you still fail to recognise what Leon does in his position that impresses coaches et al.

He plays his position to a tee. If Trent Noel run with him and midfield and it lack creativity that on Noel who supposed to be the more offensive player. Mind you I thought Leon was shit just like alyuh till it had some WCQ, I think it was El Salvador in the Stadium and they subbed him off and I saw firsthand exactly what he was doing for the team, because he replacement a then over the hill Dwight just well didn't or perhaps COULDN'T do. El Salvador start to boss the midfield and run the game essentially after he came off.

His game is to plug gaps, clog passing lanes and link the defense to the midfield. Perhaps the best international example of a player currently playing his role is Barcelona's Sergio Busquets (also widely regarded as the weakest link at Barca)

I would agree however, if you playing Leon it is important to have another CM who would complement in our else you're in problems.

arazi I will take it under advisement dat d second man in the middle was d one who supposed to do d creating, but he need dat linking pass, dat Leon almost always never provided ....had said before and I would say it again hughton Hector and bleeder ....yes bleeder was working well in the early CC quali against Haiti apairing dat was never seen again in the semis .....and I willin to bet dem would have gotten us to the semi ............if Latas did learn anyting from d prelims dem two was doing it attackin defendin trackin and hughton was gettin bleeder to push up and make things happen.... one feeding effectively of d other..................and all dat while as u say plug gaps, clog passing lanes and link the defense to the midfield.... so u tell me.............

ah could see him being d forward line of defense after a lead is established maybe
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:24:25 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2011, 05:03:43 PM »
good luck leon...play de fitball

not surprised by the Pfister talk on Leon
hear from national players that leon trains very well...so

Thats important, football not for stupid people..

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Watch, thank you Just Cool. I have seen Mr Leon play against an inferior team like Grenada and I was not impress with his game. I wish the man all the best in Columbia because in Columbia some of those teams are financed by some of the country's drug lords as in back in the days when Pablo Escobar Jr. was alive. If you make a mistake that cost your team the championship or a chance to make it to a tournament, you could end up a dead man. I just hope that Mr. Leon is aware of that.

Colombian Soccer - A Brief History

Although some clubs have existed since as far back as 1913, a Colombian soccer league was not formed until 1948.

Following a dispute with FIFA the Colombian Football League spent its early years outside FIFA with its clubs and national team suspended from international football. This occured at the same time as a players strike in Argentina which meant that many top Argentinan footballers moved to Colombian teams attracted by higher salaries resulting from a strong Colombian Peso. Even Alfredo di Stefano, one of the greatest players of all time, played 4 seasons in Colombia.

Bogota club Millonarios (for whom Alfredo di Stefano played) in particular were able to form a star-studded squad which for several years competed with the best clubs in Europe including famous victories against Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid.

The Colombian soccer federation eventually rejoined FIFA, the Argentine football strike ended and Colombia's economy lost much of its strength as the country fell into what was known as "La Violencia". Colombian soccer, now unable to attract soccer players of the same ilk as di Stefano would never again see the same level of talent and glory.

The 50s and 60s had been dominated by Millonarios, but during the 70s teams such as Atletico Nacional (from Medellin), Deportivo Cali (from Cali), Independiente Santa Fe (from Bogota) and Atletico Junior (from Barranquilla) emerged as pretenders to challenge for Millonarios' crown as soccer kings of Colombia.

However, in the final season of the 70s a team called America de Cali claimed the league championship. It would be the "Red Devils" of Cali that would dominate the next decade in Colombian soccer and usher in a darker side to the game.

Bank-rolled by the Orejuela brothers of the Cali drug cartel America de Cali contracted numerous stars, principally from Argentina. At one point there was even talk of one Diego Armando Maradona moving to America de Cali. With a squad full of the likes of Juan Manuel Battaglia and Willington Ortiz America de Cali won 5 consecutive championships during the 80s (from 1982 to 1986). America also appeared in 3 Copa Libertadores finals during the 80s (South America's version of the Champion's League), but incredibly lost all 3 finals.

While the Orejuela brothers were pumping illicit money into America de Cali, Pablo Escobar was busy doing the same thing at Atletico Nacional, as was Jose Gonzalo Gacha at Millonarios. However, the support of the drug cartels was not only financial. They also used violence to intimidate opposing teams and referees.

During the 1989 season a referee was assassinated and the Colombian soccer federation took the decision to cancel the season.

Despite the suspension of the domestic Colombian soccer season Atletico Nacional became the first Colombian team to win the Copa Libertadores.

Atletico Nacional defeated Olimpia of Paraguay in the final which was played at El Campin stadium in Bogota as their own stadium, El Atanasio Giradot, had been closed due to Atletico Nacional's suspected involvement in the assassination of the Colombian referee.

Whereas the 50s and 60s had been golden eras for Colombia's domestic soccer, during the 90s it was the turn of Colombia's national team. With quality of the likes of Rene Higuita, Carlos Valderama, Faustino Asprilla, Freddy Rincon and Andres Escobar Colombia reached all 3 World Cups during the 90s.

In 1990 they successfully negotiated the group stage of the tournament only to lose to Cameroun in the 2nd round following an infamous error from eccentric goalkeeper Rene Higuita.

Despite the disappointment of 1990 the Colombian national team went from strength to strength. They easily qualified for the 1994 World Cup during a campaign which included an extraordinary 5-0 victory over the mighty Argentina in Buenos Aires.

This victory, along with their attractive brand of passing football, brought them huge praise. Among those dishing out the plaudits was Pele who famously predicted Colombia to win the 1994 World Cup. In the end the 1994 World Cup would become the lowest point in the Colombian soccer team's history.

After so much promise Colombia flopped. They lost their first game 3-1 to Romania followed by a 2-1 defeat to USA , the first of the American goals an own goal scored by Colombian defender Andres Escobar. A 2-0 victory over Switzerland in the last game was too little too late. Colombia finished bottom of Group A.

Colombia returned to home to immense disappointment. However, disappointment would soon be replaced by tragedy and shame. On the night of 2 July 1994 Colombian defender Andres Escobar, scorer of the now infamous own goal, was assassinated outside a nightclub in Medellin. The killer apparently shouting "Gol" with each shot fired.

The news travelled around the world and cemented Colombia's image as a violent, lawless place.

Colombia again qualified for the 1998 World Cup, but many of their most influential players were past their prime, retired, or in the tragic case of Andres Escobar, deceased, and they once again failed to progress from the group phase. It would be Colombia's last World Cup for some time: they did not qualify for any of the World Cups the following decade.

Just so you know.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:49:31 PM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2011, 06:37:35 AM »
Leon is a good player!!

He is an excellent reader of the game!  Players of his mould hardly get any respect from the average football fan, because they only tend to observe the game in highlights.

Most coaches tend to trust the players that work hard in training rather the ones who show excellent technical ablilty.

Also, just because Pfister mentions a man's good attitude and discipline in training, it doesnt mean that he is not technically good as well.  It is the same way that if a coach says a player is gifted technically, we dont assume that he lacks discipline.

The basis of this topic (or stray in topic) is poor

I agree with ur sentiment Arazi

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »
Relatively ancient history? I think Colombian football has earned the right to move on and forward. Professionals in Colombia have a players association that's gained influence and the landscape of the old era has transformed.

Anyway, I would prefer to focus on this deal. Usually these threads have a lot of "congratulations" and "good luck" ... this one? Not so much ... iz like ppl not sure what to make of it.

The player is contracted. He's not on trial ... some comments on the thread seem to be viewing  these as one and the same. What I gather is that an opinion of the player was solicited from Pacho Maturana. The Newsday article references Mecuri's Brazilian contacts ... yet Colombian sources indicate the deal was brokered via Peru. At the end of the day, I like the move.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »
Leon is a good player!!

He is an excellent reader of the game!  Players of his mould hardly get any respect from the average football fan, because they only tend to observe the game in highlights.

Most coaches tend to trust the players that work hard in training rather the ones who show excellent technical ablilty.

Also, just because Pfister mentions a man's good attitude and discipline in training, it doesnt mean that he is not technically good as well.  It is the same way that if a coach says a player is gifted technically, we dont assume that he lacks discipline.

ah love it!!
I would have to disagree with yuh on this one. i've seen loen play up close and personal on ah few occasions and i'm not impressed. yes he's ah work hosre, and he does all the moping up, but he is clueless going forward, and quite frankly i would much rather have ah criss birchall any day!

IMO leon is ah brainless player who tends to make terrible offensive decisions ever so often in ah serious game situation. his shooting is terrible, his passing is so so, and offers very little offensively. give me hyland or birchall as startes and maybe bring leon off the bench as ah finisher, but if i ever see this fella start ah game again for the NT over players like hyland and birchall, i will be extremely disappointed.

PS: claude makalele, obi mekelle,  tom huddelston, rameress, micheal bradely and our own khaleem hyland just to name ah few are all the same type players, but they all offer a lot more going forward, unlike our friend in question mr loen.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

AirMan

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
I seen Leon play for both club and country and WAS NOT impressed but still good luck to the man on his new adventure. Hopefuly he has improved from the last time i seen him play.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:43:41 PM by AirMan »

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »
Leon is a good player!!

ah love it!!
well said andre

Offline breezers

• Hero Warrior
  • he who rise against poor ppl shal perish in d end
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
Leon is a good player!!

ah love it!!
well said andre

c0-sign!

Congratz and Best of luck muh bredda!
Soca Warriors, Holland And Barcelona,
BIG BIG TEAMS!!!!

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
Colombian League better than TT Pro League. 

Clyde Leon, good luck. Play yuh ball!

The End

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2011, 04:59:01 AM »
Leon is a good player!!

ah love it!!
I would have to disagree with yuh on this one. i've seen loen play up close and personal on ah few occasions and i'm not impressed. yes he's ah work hosre, and he does all the moping up, but he is clueless going forward, and quite frankly i would much rather have ah criss birchall any day!

IMO leon is ah brainless player who tends to make terrible offensive decisions ever so often in ah serious game situation. his shooting is terrible, his passing is so so, and offers very little offensively. give me hyland or birchall as startes and maybe bring leon off the bench as ah finisher, but if i ever see this fella start ah game again for the NT over players like hyland and birchall, i will be extremely disappointed.

PS: claude makalele, obi mekelle,  tom huddelston, rameress, micheal bradely and our own khaleem hyland just to name ah few are all the same type players, but they all offer a lot more going forward, unlike our friend in question mr loen.

Two things that you said that i would like to point out.  Your whole point about him not being able to contribute offensively...........lol, not every player on the field is there to contribute offensively. 

And secondly, the players that u called out......Makelele? Obi Mikel?  You need some better examples than that.

Just as i said, some people only observe the game in highlights, I'm not saying that leon is world class, but he aint the shithound you are making him out to be. 
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2011, 07:05:50 AM »
Leon is a good player!!

ah love it!!

Just to add to Andre's comment above, Claude Makelele received the very same criticism from the Real Madrid president Florentino Perez when he decided not to resign the Frenchman, here's the quote:

"We will not miss Makélelé. His technique is average, he lacks the speed and skill to take the ball past opponents, and ninety percent of his distribution either goes backwards or sideways. He wasn't a header of the ball and he rarely passed the ball more than three metres. Younger players will arrive who will cause Makélelé to be forgotten"

Zinedine Zidane then famously said upon the subsequent signing of David Beckham :

"Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?"

Now as a Chelsea fan I can tell you Makelele offered very little going forward, but his play was crucial to Frank Lampard being that ok English youth to at one point to 2nd in POTY ratings.

In fact the only Makelele goal I remember for Chelsea greatly resembles Leon's goal for W Connection in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2O5wjwjz4

Now I not disputing if the players are good or better than Leon. I would dispute that they play similarly to him in the holding role too and exactly how and what effect they'd have in the middle. Yeah they'd be better offensively but would they do the same job he does babysitting the defense?

as for lefty pointing out the bad game he had against Grenada, i didn't actually see that game so I can't comment on how poor he was, but I see that Grenada game and raise you the HEX game vs the US in the stadium where he and Trent Noel smothered the hell out of the US midfield.

Clyde Leon is the kinda player the average fan will watch and see nothing special/flashy, he makes simple passes/plays but his reading of the game isn't ordinary, but of course only people on the pitch and coaches/players who really know the game will notice it. As such when things don't go well, he's one of the first players men will look to say, "What he do whole game?". In fact that happen in that same US game after we concede the goal.

He's not the player kids will think about emulating, but he's kind of player other players appreciate having in their set up, bcuz he makes it easier for them/frustrating for their opponents.

Either way all the best, let's hope the stint improves both him and T&T footy.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:12:10 AM by Arazi »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »
Clyde Leon is the kinda player the average fan will watch and see nothing special/flashy, he makes simple passes/plays but his reading of the game isn't ordinary, but of course only people on the pitch and coaches/players who really know the game will notice it. As such when things don't go well, he's one of the first players men will look to say, "What he do whole game?". In fact that happen in that same US game after we concede the goal.

I don't particularly care for a flashy game, in fact I have advocated a simple passing game like the US used effectively against us............the problem is that while he does his defensive duty his linking, if only for that one little pass to the attacking mid is lacking....so yeah he'll smother the hell out of the other teams attack but we'll always be defending because the ball almost never gets forward once its at his feet....maybe its just confidence and like Theobald he will shine with someone more dynamic like Hector partnering him but that is still left to be seen

............ good luck to him in any case
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:55:24 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
C'mon guys. Cut out de toxic fight down of a man who yuh should be happy to see geh a break in farrin.

Remember the happy moments he created for fans right here:

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=50651.0

Who say Leon cyah be inspiring and shoot like a rocket?

:beermug:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:43:44 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
C'mon guys. Cut out de toxic fight down of a man who yuh should be happy to see geh a break in farrin.

Remember the happy moments he created for fans right here:

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=50651.0

Who say Leon cyah be inspiring and shoot like a rocket?

:beermug:
Is there any local players you don't like? well for me there are plenty, clyde leon being one of them, so is seon power, aklie edwards, makkan hislop, andre pachecco, evens wise, and marvin andrews (of lately). yuh cyar like every body, it's not reality.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:59:42 PM by just cool »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Watch, thank you Just Cool. I have seen Mr Leon play against an inferior team like Grenada and I was not impress with his game. I wish the man all the best in Columbia because in Columbia some of those teams are financed by some of the country's drug lords as in back in the days when Pablo Escobar Jr. was alive. If you make a mistake that cost your team the championship or a chance to make it to a tournament, you could end up a dead man. I just hope that Mr. Leon is aware of that.

Colombian Soccer - A Brief History

Although some clubs have existed since as far back as 1913, a Colombian soccer league was not formed until 1948.

Following a dispute with FIFA the Colombian Football League spent its early years outside FIFA with its clubs and national team suspended from international football. This occured at the same time as a players strike in Argentina which meant that many top Argentinan footballers moved to Colombian teams attracted by higher salaries resulting from a strong Colombian Peso. Even Alfredo di Stefano, one of the greatest players of all time, played 4 seasons in Colombia.

Bogota club Millonarios (for whom Alfredo di Stefano played) in particular were able to form a star-studded squad which for several years competed with the best clubs in Europe including famous victories against Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid.

The Colombian soccer federation eventually rejoined FIFA, the Argentine football strike ended and Colombia's economy lost much of its strength as the country fell into what was known as "La Violencia". Colombian soccer, now unable to attract soccer players of the same ilk as di Stefano would never again see the same level of talent and glory.

The 50s and 60s had been dominated by Millonarios, but during the 70s teams such as Atletico Nacional (from Medellin), Deportivo Cali (from Cali), Independiente Santa Fe (from Bogota) and Atletico Junior (from Barranquilla) emerged as pretenders to challenge for Millonarios' crown as soccer kings of Colombia.

However, in the final season of the 70s a team called America de Cali claimed the league championship. It would be the "Red Devils" of Cali that would dominate the next decade in Colombian soccer and usher in a darker side to the game.

Bank-rolled by the Orejuela brothers of the Cali drug cartel America de Cali contracted numerous stars, principally from Argentina. At one point there was even talk of one Diego Armando Maradona moving to America de Cali. With a squad full of the likes of Juan Manuel Battaglia and Willington Ortiz America de Cali won 5 consecutive championships during the 80s (from 1982 to 1986). America also appeared in 3 Copa Libertadores finals during the 80s (South America's version of the Champion's League), but incredibly lost all 3 finals.

While the Orejuela brothers were pumping illicit money into America de Cali, Pablo Escobar was busy doing the same thing at Atletico Nacional, as was Jose Gonzalo Gacha at Millonarios. However, the support of the drug cartels was not only financial. They also used violence to intimidate opposing teams and referees.

During the 1989 season a referee was assassinated and the Colombian soccer federation took the decision to cancel the season.

Despite the suspension of the domestic Colombian soccer season Atletico Nacional became the first Colombian team to win the Copa Libertadores.

Atletico Nacional defeated Olimpia of Paraguay in the final which was played at El Campin stadium in Bogota as their own stadium, El Atanasio Giradot, had been closed due to Atletico Nacional's suspected involvement in the assassination of the Colombian referee.

Whereas the 50s and 60s had been golden eras for Colombia's domestic soccer, during the 90s it was the turn of Colombia's national team. With quality of the likes of Rene Higuita, Carlos Valderama, Faustino Asprilla, Freddy Rincon and Andres Escobar Colombia reached all 3 World Cups during the 90s.

In 1990 they successfully negotiated the group stage of the tournament only to lose to Cameroun in the 2nd round following an infamous error from eccentric goalkeeper Rene Higuita.

Despite the disappointment of 1990 the Colombian national team went from strength to strength. They easily qualified for the 1994 World Cup during a campaign which included an extraordinary 5-0 victory over the mighty Argentina in Buenos Aires.

This victory, along with their attractive brand of passing football, brought them huge praise. Among those dishing out the plaudits was Pele who famously predicted Colombia to win the 1994 World Cup. In the end the 1994 World Cup would become the lowest point in the Colombian soccer team's history.

After so much promise Colombia flopped. They lost their first game 3-1 to Romania followed by a 2-1 defeat to USA , the first of the American goals an own goal scored by Colombian defender Andres Escobar. A 2-0 victory over Switzerland in the last game was too little too late. Colombia finished bottom of Group A.

Colombia returned to home to immense disappointment. However, disappointment would soon be replaced by tragedy and shame. On the night of 2 July 1994 Colombian defender Andres Escobar, scorer of the now infamous own goal, was assassinated outside a nightclub in Medellin. The killer apparently shouting "Gol" with each shot fired.

The news travelled around the world and cemented Colombia's image as a violent, lawless place.

Colombia again qualified for the 1998 World Cup, but many of their most influential players were past their prime, retired, or in the tragic case of Andres Escobar, deceased, and they once again failed to progress from the group phase. It would be Colombia's last World Cup for some time: they did not qualify for any of the World Cups the following decade.

Just so you know.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-09/harvard-grad-swaps-cocaine-boss-for-ipo-as-colombian-soccer-club-rebuilds.html

(while ah on this ... Colombia's NT coach has just handed in his resignation this afternoon ... following an incident Saturday night in which he hit a woman after gulping couple rounds).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:22:00 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
Leon looking to capitalize on Colombia move
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Colombian-based player Clyde Leon prepared himself for an eventual move to an overseas Professional League a few weeks ago after entering into a contract with T&TEC with a clause that would allow him to depart once the opportunity came along.

That happened earlier this month as Corporacion Deportivo Itagüí Ditaires snapped up the player.

The former W Connection man  captained T&T last year and his style is liked by Otto Pfister who has observed the player in training for the past few weeks.

He will however not be available for T&T’s friendly internationalon August 21 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium but is likely to return for the September 2 2014 World Cup qualifier versus Bermuda at the same venue once selected by the German.

“When I signed with T&TEC I was looking ahead to a new challenge but I also signed a contract which would allow me to leave the club if something better came up for an overseas league.

I’m sorry I did not get to play a competitive game for the club because they offered me the opportunity and I wish them well in the 2011 season.

Personally I needed this move abroad because I want to broaden my experience and challenge myself against tougher opponents. I think the level in Colombia is of a really good level and they have a lot of experience here having played at several World Cups and produced several top players,” Leon said.

“I’ve been playing in practice matches and training every day. It’s been a smooth change over for me so far and I’m looking forward to the season. Hopefully I can lift my level of play while I’m here and offer a better option as a player for the national coach,” added the ex-Princes Town Senior Comprehensive player.

It is understood that former T&T and Colombia head coach Francisco Maturana played a role in the deal which was handled locally by Sheldon Scipio of Mercuri Caribbean on Leon’s behalf.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
All the best Clyde. The coaches Mats, Otto and the new club coach, obviously see value to orchestrate a move.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The In Memory Of Thread
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2021, 07:50:49 AM »
TTFA posted a message about Clyde Leon dying of a heart attack just now. Shocked, but I remember his heart being an issue a couple years ago? Someone will tell me if I'm wrong.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The In Memory Of Thread
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2021, 08:20:18 AM »

1]; } ?>