April 27, 2024, 05:15:12 PM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke officially starts Sydney FC career  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke officially starts Sydney FC career
« on: July 04, 2005, 02:11:54 PM »
sydneyfc.com

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke kicked the ball for the first time as a Sydney FC player today as he attended training for the first time and wasted no time fitting into his new surroundings and, more importantly, with his new team mates.

The prolific striker was laughing and joking with his Sydney FC team mates throughout the two-hour session, which included some shooting practice with fellow strikers David Zdrilic and Sasho Petrovski.

Yorke arrived in Sydney from England last Thursday, bringing an end to his 16-year career in the English Premier League but he preferred to look ahead when interviewed following training today.

“This is an exciting period of my career as I am coming to a new country, a country I honestly love, and I am part of something brand new,” Yorke said. “The Premiership (English Premier League) has been a huge part of my life but I am looking forward with excitement about the Hyundai A-League.

“Today has been great as I have been able to meet the lads officially and get back into training. After all I am a football player and this is my work.”

Sydney FC Coach Pierre Littbarski said he could see the class immediately, especially when Yorke took part in some shooting drills.

“He is a great player. That you can see straight away with some of his touches and his shooting,” Littbarski said. “He needs to work a little on his fitness, as all the players do at this stage of the pre season, but from what I saw he will be good for us.”

The 33-year-old did look fit but warned he would be even stronger in a “couple of weeks” as he comes to Sydney on the back of a three-week break following his last international with Trinidad & Tobago last month.

“This is the first session for me and my goal is to be as fit as I have been when the A-League kicks off,” Yorke said. “I am looking forward to the challenge of giving Sydney FC my very best football and that means finding the back of the net on regular basis.”

He also spoke glowingly about his new home, Sydney, and how he had been made to feel welcome since arriving last Thursday.

“Everything has been great, except for the sleeping patterns, I am still struggling with that a little bit,” he said. “The people have been nice, the club has helped me out and the food here is excellent. I just want to sort out my living conditions as soon as possible and then I will be comfortable.”

Yorke and his team mates are now in full training for the kick off of the Hyundai A-League with Sydney FC set to take on Melbourne Victory at Aussie Stadium on August 28 – less than eight weeks away.

Yorke kicks off for Sydney FC
Sydney Morning Herald

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke believes his shoulders are broad enough to carry Sydney FC through to the finals of the inaugural A-League soccer competition.

The star recruit kicked his first ball on Australian soil this morning since agreeing to a two-year-deal with Sydney FC in April.

He spent two hours training with his new teammates today, including fellow strikers David Zdrilic and Saho Petrovski.

He said aside from finding a Sydney apartment, the transition has been easy.

"Today has been great as I have been able to meet the lads officially and get back into training," he said.

But the 33-year-old needed to get back into top shape after a three-week break,.

"This is the first session for me and my goal is to be as fit as I have been when the A-League kicks off," Yorke said.

"I am looking forward to the challenge of giving Sydney FC my very best football and that means finding the back of the net on a regular basis."

Coach Pierre Littbarski, a former German international, said Yorke's skill was immediately apparent.

"He is a great player. That you can see straight away with some of his touches and his shooting," Littbarski said.

He also had little trouble fitting in with the team - the bulk of which has been together for several months and has already won both the Australian and Oceania legs of the FIFA Club World Championship qualifiers.

But the Trinidad and Tobago international said his heart is still in the Caribbean.

"We (Trinidad and Tobago) have half a chance of qualifying for the World Cup and I've made no secret that that's my ultimate, to play in the World Cup.

"It's the one thing missing from the mantlepiece.

"But I'm committed to Sydney FC as well, they are putting the bread and butter on the table," Yorke said.

Sydney FC beat a reported $A4 million offer from Qatar in the Middle East to sign Yorke, who had fallen out of favour with English Premier League club Birmingham City.

Yorke said the new A-League would still be challenging despite the difference in competition with the Premier League in England.

"It's not going to be easy, it's a very demanding league and there's a lot of expectation, but that comes with the package and that's fair enough," Yorke said.

"My shoulders are broad enough to take that sort of pressure.

"Football is what I do best. For me, it's the easy bit."

Sydney FC play the Belconnen Blue Devils in Canberra this Friday before kicking off their first A-League game on August 28.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 04:45:02 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Dwight Yorke officially starts Sydney FC career
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »
The best and worst A-League imports
The Roar

Exactly a month out from the start of A-League season five and with the number of imports from Asia steadily increasing through the likes of Surat Sukha, Shin In Sup and Byun Sung-Hwan, its time to take a trip down memory lane and reflect on the best and worst of the leagues imports over its first four seasons.

Like any start-up competition, mistakes had to be made, and its fair to say in terms of overseas recruitment there have been a few. In the main, theres been more misses than hits.

First there was a wave of third-rate British imports delivered by the New Zealand Knights. Remember the names Ronnie Bull, Darren Bazeley, Sean Devine, Simon Yeo, Neil Emblen and Scot Gemmill?

The most tragic, in my opinion, was the striker Devine, all hustle and bustle but undoubtedly one of the worst technicians to hit our shores.

Not far behind the Knights were Perth Glory, who delivered the washed up Brian Deane and the son of the manager, Steve McMahon Jr, surely one of the worst midfielders you are likely to see.

Later, there was the much hyped striker Mate Dragicevic.

Finally, last season, the Glory had some success through Eugene Dadi and to a lesser extent Brazilian veteran Amaral, who impressed but ultimately broke down.

Another club that has really struggled to get its formula right is the Roar.

In the first season they delivered the Swiss left sided defender Remo Buess, followed by equally underwhelming performers in Marcus Wedau, Simon Lynch and Marcinho.

Fortunately Hyuk-Su Seo has been a mainstay, Reinaldo showed signs in the third season, while Charlie Miller and Sergio van Dijk did well last season.

Another club that has really struggled, especially in the marquee space, is the Jets, who have brought over such tragedies as Mario Jardel, Edmundo Zura, Jorge Drovandi, Denni and Mateo Corbo.

Oh for the days of Milton Rodriguez, Jets fans must be thinking.

Melbourne has been a bit of a yo-yo club, down one season, up the next, a bit like their recruitment. Remember Geoffrey Claeys and Richard Kitzbichler in season one? One average, one good.

Then the three Brazilians and Grant Brebner in season two. Fred and Brebner were obvious hits, but Claudinho and Alessandro were not.

The venture to Costa Rica proved half-successful, with Hernandez a hit, Lopez a miss, while the jury is still out on Ney Fabiano given his suspension last season. Meanwhile, Leandro Love flopped, while Joe Kennan was anything but a cracker.

Indeed, the left side of defence, a traditional development weakness in Australia, is one area clubs have targeted, without much luck it seems.

Kennan, Buess, Alessandro and Corbo have already been mentioned, but another struggler you may remember is the Knights Gregory Duruz.

Only Cassio has really made an impression of the left-sided imports, and given Sydneys struggles to find a left back since Alvin Ceccoli, there will be much attention on Byun.

Ditto at Melbourne, where Sukha will be expected to deliver some balance (good defending and a contribution in attack). After Alessandro and Kennan, Victory fans will be hoping its third time lucky as far as left-sided imports is concerned.

Freds success in season two lead to an inevitable influx of Brazilian for season three, but not surprisingly, many couldnt cope with the physicality of the league.

Remember Denni at Newcastle, who was smashed about in the centre of midfield, forcing Gary van Egmond to shift him out wide, before shifting him out of the country.

There have been some admirably decisions to bring in technicians like Denni, Jin-Hyung Song, Daniel, Juninho, Adrian Trinidad and Felipe, but there is still a big question mark as to whether the league, with it emphasis on the physical, is ready for such artisans.

Too often they have been smashed, and offered little protection by referees like Ben Williams who are happy to reward the ball-and-man tackles, much to the detriment of the overall spectacle.

Perhaps more of the referees should take the lead of Strebre Delovski, who calls a foul a foul, yet still manages to keep a game flowing, and rarely gets noticed.

Hopefully, as the league matures and more managers start to value the technical over the physical, there will be more room for such players.

Who knows, maybe the Brazilians at the Gold Coast will lead the way this season.

One club leading the way with Brazilians is Adelaide, who had some success with Fernando Rech, Diego and Cassio, while Cristiano and Alemao are still on the books.

Interestingly, they have shown patience with Alemao, who failed to impress last season. If he does come good, it will be a reward for their patience.

Certainly, Jonas Salley proved last season you can improve if given time to settle-in.

Another unheralded arrival who has matured with his time here and is now one of the most crucial players for his side is Sydneys Terry McFlynn.

While Dwight Yorke and Juninho had their high moments, and Kazu Miura, Benito Carbone and Michael Bridges did well on short term stints, McFlynn has been the one Sydney import that has stood the test of time.

As we look forward to the start of the latest season, lets hope the list of A-League import hits continues to grow.

Excluding guest players of the ilk of Carbone, Miura and Bridges, here are my top 10 imports: Fred, Yorke, McFlynn, Hernandez, Miller, Rodriguez, Cassio, Diego, Dadi and Qu.

And here, excluding guests like Romario, are my 10 worst imports; Jardel, McMahon Jr, Devine, Wedau, Bull, Buess, Lynch, Gemmill, Deane and Corbo.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
sydneyfc.com

Former Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke kicked the ball for the first time as a Sydney FC player today as he attended training for the first time and wasted no time fitting into his new surroundings and, more importantly, with his new team mates.

The 33-year-old did look fit but warned he would be even stronger in a “couple of weeks” as he comes to Sydney on the back of a three-week break following his last international with Trinidad & Tobago last month.

Sydney FC beat a reported $A4 million offer from Qatar in the Middle East to sign Yorke, who had fallen out of favour with English Premier League club Birmingham City.

Sydney FC play the Belconnen Blue Devils in Canberra this Friday before kicking off their first A-League game on August 28.

So Yorke getting younger.  He 33 again.  Steuppps!!!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »
sydneyfc.com

That article yuh quoting was written in 2005.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:17:52 PM »
sydneyfc.com

That article yuh quoting was written in 2005.

Tell him 4 meh please.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 04:33:07 AM »
sydneyfc.com

The 33-year-old did look fit but warned he would be even stronger in a €œcouple of weeks€ as he comes to Sydney on the back of a three-week break following his last international with Trinidad & Tobago last month.

Another one for the DavyJenny 2009 nomination pile :devil:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 06:21:52 AM »
sydneyfc.com

::)
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »
sydneyfc.com

Ms que un club.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 07:00:01 AM »
sydneyfc.com

Another one for the DavyJenny 2009 nomination pile :devil:

Fuh real. But I eh giving my position up without ah fight ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »
Yorke is the biggest ball ho I know, The man do rest, he taking sweat any where he can get it. That man Love the game

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 06:15:39 PM »
Alex kicked back in style   
By Ron Shillingford, ron@cfp.ky

So many of Alex Fergusons former players are now successful managers, mostly in the Premiership that his legacy will last for many years when he eventually retires from Manchester United.

Alex McLeish is one of them, having played under Fergie during Aberdeens glory years in the Eighties.

McLeish brought Birmingham City up from the Championship last season and will not expect any favours from his former mentor when they play the mighty Reds.

If it came to sentimentality, Ferguson would not know where to start. Other former players now at the helm in the Prem are Steve Bruce (Sunderland) and Mark Hughes (Manchester City). Roy Keane (formerly Sunderland) and Gordon Strachan (formerly Celtic) were also Fergie graduates.

McLeish is arguably the most successful of them so far. He cut his managerial teeth at Motherwell and Hibs then stepped up to be Rangers boss for five mostly successful years.

That led to a stint as Scotlands national coach where his greatest result was beating France 10 in a European Championship qualifier, their greatest triumph ever. With Scotland winning 70 per cent of their matches, McLeish was statiscally their best ever manager.

Then he moved by to club football lured by Birmingham two years ago, taking over from Bruce. They were relegated but will now do battle with the big boys again next month.

McLeish, 50, was in Cayman recently for a vacation and attended the opening of the Centre of Excellence in Prospect and the fund raising dinner at the RitzCarlton the following day. He met Jeff Webb, president of the Cayman Islands Football Association, and they forged a friendship.

Just before he left with his wife, McLeish said: Weve had a fantastic holiday, weve done so much. We came here thinking three weeks may be too long, but in actual fact we may be running out of time to do all the things we wanted to do... the restaurants, the people, the culture and the entertainment factor has been fantastic. Also we wanted to take time out to go to Havana for three days and Ive enjoyed every minute of it.

How did Cayman become his destination of choice? A friend recommended it and I knew Jeff Webb from a few years back and I thought: Cayman Islands, where is it?

I just knew it as a tax haven for a lot of Brits and Europeans but I never really considered going there. A pal said: What are you doing for your holidays? It was basically only three or four weeks before we came. And then Jeff came on the phone and said: What are you doing for your holidays? You should come here man, its fantastic.

The former Celtic director, Brian Dempsey, who until last year had lived for years in Cayman before returning to Scotland, kindly offered the McLeish his apartment here. They got online, checked out what Cayman had to offer and the fact that the holiday would coincide with the opening of the Centre of Excellence with all the FIFA head honchos visiting, clinched it.

I thought it would be nice to be part of that and to help Jeff raise the profile of the Cayman Islands Football Association.

So with batteries recharged and new challenges ahead, the tough Scotsman has to get focused again.

Birmingham have been a yoyo club over the years. The secret is staying up the first time around and trying to establish ourselves as a bona fide Premier League team as opposed to a team just visiting the Premiership.

I dont think you have to look any further than Big Sam Allardyce (Blackburn Rovers manager) who is here in Cayman as well for that. Sams a master now of staying in the Premier League and Id love to get a foothold in the Premiership the way hes done it.

The McLeishes had a fun time here. Alex joked at the start of the holiday that having to attend formal functions prevented him from growing a beard.

He still hadnt grown one at the end of his stay because Ive been going to too many posh restaurants.

Humorous McLeish gave a speech at the RitzCarlton dinner and got the biggest laugh when he put Scotland in the same bracket of greatness as Brazil and Argentina!

He added: Ive already discussed with Jeff and we threw a few ideas around the table at dinner and the jigsaw is piecing together nicely. Jeff has worked so hard to get people like Sepp Blatter and Jack Warner here.

These guys are very important in world football and the fact that they were here is recognition of Jeff and the power that he has gained with FIFA means a lot. So we would like to support him and maybe they can throw up some coaches next year and maybe some coaches can come along and help the Cayman Islands grow.

If Madeira can produce a guy who has just cost $130 million (Cristiano Ronaldo) then why not the Cayman Islands? Other than that its the whole sporting aspect of Cayman. The people here are very much like the Scottish, entrepreneurial minded, dynamic and its fantastic that you have guys like Jeff driving you.

Obviously, its more difficult for Cayman to produce world class players because its such a small nation, but if you keep encouraging and coaching the right aspects, it can happen.

Does he think that Cayman can produce more great Caribbean players like John Barnes, Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke?

Obviously, some people are born with the right talent. Latapy and Yorke have an inbuilt talent but then they got the organisation from the Europeans and they became world stars. So why not? Its got to be the goal for Cayman.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>