April 28, 2024, 07:50:37 PM

Author Topic: Onandi Lowe's absence frustrates Portmore  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Onandi Lowe's absence frustrates Portmore
« on: October 25, 2006, 01:11:43 PM »

Onandi Lowe's absence frustrates Portmore
By AINSLEY WALTERS, Freelance Writer

Waterhouse's Jermaine Grey (right) runs to the ball ahead of Portmore United's Onandi Lowe (left) during their Wray and Nephew National Premier League football match at Drewsland Mini Stadium on January 8, 2006. Waterhouse won 3-1. - Andrew Smith

FORMER national striker Onandi Lowe is up to his old tricks at National Premier League outfit Portmore United.

The towering striker, who seemed headed for the big times in England when signing for Premier-ship Coventry City but left Britain after being cleared of cocaine trafficking charges, has not played for Portmore United since September 24 when coming on as a second-half substitute against champions Waterhouse at Drewsland.

Horace Reid, Portmore's technical director and former Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) general secretary, on Sunday said Lowe did not turn up for training for the club's last two games.

"Our standards are pretty high and unless people live up to them they will struggle," said Reid. "Those standards have been in existence for years. If you miss a session, you miss a game once the excuse is inadequate.

Discipline

"Discipline has to supercede results and we won't build a club based on results," Reid pointed out.

Portmore is Lowe's second stop since returning to the island. He was signed amid much fanfare to his former club, Arnett Gardens, for the 2004-05 NPL season but was among several senior players shown the door midway a miserable season for the Trench Town club.

In what was seen as a surprise signing by football pundits, considering that his salary was to be paid by former JFF president Horace Burrell's Captain's Bakery, with who he had several run-ins as a national player, Lowe was snapped up by then Premier League champions Portmore United when the transfer window reopened in January of 2005.

It was said that Portmore, who were due to compete in the Caribbean Club Championships, needed a player of Lowe's calibre and reputation against regional competition.

However, Portmore were booted by Mexico's Club America over two legs.

Coach Paul Young, who had just taken over the reins as head coach at Portmore from Lenny Hyde when Lowe arrived, made no bones then in saying the former national striker would not be treated differently from any other player at the club.

Young yesterday underlined the club's stance.

"It's the same situation," he said. "Nothing has changed. I've not seen him at training. When we got 'Nandi' last year, we told him if he doesn't turn up, he doesn't play.

"He's fined for every session missed, but apparently the fine is not a big deal to him," said Young, a former national player now interim Reggae Boyz assistant coach.

The Portmore coach said he's not surprised by Lowe's behaviour.

"We told him of our expectations but we had a Plan B in place," he said. "Everywhere he goes, there's always a problem with discipline and not attending sessions. Even at Rushden and Diamonds, sometimes he trained and another time he didn't but that won't happen at Portmore."

Days numbered

Young hinted that Lowe's days as a Portmore player could be limited.

"We'll look into that and make the right decision at the right time," he said. "We won't sit and wait for Onandi Lowe. We have to keep on doing our work.

"I just believe at times he wants to do whatever he wants to and that's not how life is. No player is bigger than the club," Young added.

Lowe's lack of form won't help his cause either.

Since signing for Portmore, he has had only a few goals and hasn't hit the back of the net in the two matches when he appeared in this new Premiership season - as a starter against August Town and a second half sub against Waterhouse.

His only goals were recorded on a pre-season tour of Antigua and a promotional friendly match against promoted neighbours Naggo Head at Ferdie Neita Park.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Onandi Lowe's absence frustrates Portmore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 02:32:22 PM »
If I was an owner of a professional team I would sign lowe.

he can score goals and that is the point of football.

Yes he is a trouble maker but that is only an issue if you expect him not to give trouble :rotfl:

no sure how old he is but he may still be a top notch striker.

I remember watching him in the A league for the canadian teams he used to be a real terror.

What a wasted talent!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 02:41:17 PM »
Boy...might be hell of a ting to watch lowe and maradonna runnin de front line....dwarika and hardest controllin de mids..call de team Rehab FC

ah wonder who else could qualify fuh dat 11

On de rare occasions dem fellahs show up for ah match...dey would be unbeatable
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 02:46:03 PM »
Boy...might be hell of a ting to watch lowe and maradonna runnin de front line....dwarika and hardest controllin de mids..call de team Rehab FC

:rotfl:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:24:17 PM »
wasted talent i remember a mexico defence trying to hold him down impossible .

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 04:36:29 PM »
Portmore administration's frustration is unwarranted since Portmore seem to be improving without him. In the match of the day on TVJ which ended a few minutes ago. Portmore scored 4 goals against unbeaten Boys Town. 
jjbrown

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 04:44:01 PM »

Paul Gasgoine
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 05:01:01 PM »
The one player I must say that I liked watching play for the Reggae Boyz was Lowe.  Big, strong, powerful, with some skill. There were some games where he was a terror to our defenders.  He could have been one to talk about for a long time, if he was disciplined. 

Blessings
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:17:22 PM by Lower St. John »
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 05:03:48 PM »
Portmore administration's frustration is unwarranted since Portmore seem to be improving without him. In the match of the day on TVJ which ended a few minutes ago. Portmore scored 4 goals against unbeaten Boys Town. 

they bring them games on tv

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »

Yep!  ;D Every day of the week a taped or live match is shown on any of the 2 local sports networks TJV SPORTS or CVM PLUS. Whether the game the ISSA/PEPSI Schoolboy Football or and a Sunday or Wednesday Premier League game.
Right now TVJ SPORTS is rebroadcasting Moday's edition of "EYE ON SPORTS" and next will be the ball by ball replay of the ICC Champions Cup match between Sri Lanka & New Zealand. This will lead into tomorrow's match between the West Indies and India. :beermug:   
jjbrown

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 05:46:16 PM »

Yes! mi team Portmore win. You see how young Morissey play today don? Future star. Look like the next Roen Nelson for Portmore. I only hope no Trini club don't come tek the man like Nelson. I don't know what the trini clubs have with Pmore players. Them just a thief mi team talent. That's why Pmore been struggling this season so far.
Smoke and Fly

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 05:55:25 PM »

Yep!  ;D Every day of the week a taped or live match is shown on any of the 2 local sports networks TJV SPORTS or CVM PLUS. Whether the game the ISSA/PEPSI Schoolboy Football or and a Sunday or Wednesday Premier League game.
Right now TVJ SPORTS is rebroadcasting Moday's edition of "EYE ON SPORTS" and next will be the ball by ball replay of the ICC Champions Cup match between Sri Lanka & New Zealand. This will lead into tomorrow's match between the West Indies and India. :beermug:   

Dis real good how they bring games on TV whether school boy football or the National League......are the stadiums sold out usually?

Lowe to me was always a big big player but indiscipline and unprofessionalism is what u need to reach far. I honestly think he cud be rippin up the EPL
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 10:41:35 PM »

Dis real good how they bring games on TV whether school boy football or the National League......are the stadiums sold out usually?

Lowe to me was always a big big player but indiscipline and unprofessionalism is what u need to reach far.

So how come me still deh here?

About the stadiums, it depends which team. Boys' town get a lot of supporters(many ppl attached to them sentimentally as they have developed some of the best cricketers and Footballers). Also, Waterhouse, Portmore and Arnett(when they are in form). HView has always been one of the best teams but have bad crowd turn-out. The people over there ungrateful.
Smoke and Fly

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 03:07:19 AM »

Is Lowe a drug addict? Thats news to me, if thats what you are implying. Lowe is 31/32....he is of no use to Jamaica at international level by the way.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 05:39:32 AM »
I honestly think he cud be rippin up the EPL

???  ::) :loser:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 05:55:08 AM »

Yes! mi team Portmore win. You see how young Morissey play today don? Future star. Look like the next Roen Nelson for Portmore. I only hope no Trini club don't come tek the man like Nelson. I don't know what the trini clubs have with Pmore players. Them just a thief mi team talent. That's why Pmore been struggling this season so far.

Nelson bang in 30 goals in JA but in trinidad he get most his goals against tobago united defense force and starworld strikers..... We sent a portmore players packing and nelson and them downt have to come to trinidad but they want to. remember is after hue leave connection him break into the RBZ senior team

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 05:56:30 AM »
school boy football what the standard of school boy football across there

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 06:32:31 AM »
without Nandi Jamaica  nuh mek 2010!!!!!!!!!  dat is a bold statement by me but unnuh  see what happen last worl cup qualifiers went. without Nandi Jamaixca looked like a backyard team even wid all dem fareign born dat came down..  Man I remember seeing nandi score against El Salvador from a free kick form almost half pitch .. Nandi needs to return and stop acting like he is to big for de game.. Nandi has pure talent and will terrorise any defender because of his size. Nandi needs to return now !
war..
Black Lives Matter..

truetrini

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 06:45:04 AM »
without Nandi Jamaica  nuh mek 2010!!!!!!!!!  dat is a bold statement by me but unnuh  see what happen last worl cup qualifiers went. without Nandi Jamaixca looked like a backyard team even wid all dem fareign born dat came down..  Man I remember seeing nandi score against El Salvador from a free kick form almost half pitch .. Nandi needs to return and stop acting like he is to big for de game.. Nandi has pure talent and will terrorise any defender because of his size. Nandi needs to return now !
war..

Man nandi is a loser..plain and simple...a loser.

If yuh have talent and yuh throw it away..L-O-S-E-R!

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 11:31:59 AM »
war..

So shouldn't Jamaica have qualified for the 2002 World Cup since Lowe was on the REGGAE BOYZ team.
jjbrown

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »
war..

So shouldn't Jamaica have qualified for the 2002 World Cup since Lowe was on the REGGAE BOYZ team.
Yes dey should have but dey didnt due to very bad decisions By Jamaican football federation .  Nandi did score some goals in dat Final rounds though..
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 12:41:33 PM »

My friend, there is a fete match side in Trini that goes by that name and guess who runs on for them in the middle sometimes..... HARDEST!
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 12:54:47 PM »
For real??....dias who he does play for??

I really have to see dis man play oui...de man is ah legend on de board and he eh run nationals yet
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 08:13:13 PM »
war..

We have Luton Shelton now so just watch the ride. We affi reach 2010.
Smoke and Fly

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 08:28:35 PM »
Shelton needs to still prove himself, but I rate him.

I think he is ah young, strong and exciting player.

1]; } ?>