April 24, 2024, 09:52:08 PM

Author Topic: Know your Country's History Quiz.  (Read 10061 times)

truetrini

Know your Country's History Quiz.
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:11:14 PM »
I am going to ask a series of questions on issues,  events, and personalities related to the History of Trinidad and Tobago.

I am a Historian although not in the field of West Indian History, but I have read several books on the historiography of the Caribbean and I think that this will be an opportunity to teach somethings and for me to personally learn some new things about my country.

Here goes:

1.  This arouca born son of the soil was expelled from Howard University after he protested against the Brtish treatment of Africans during q visit to Howard U. by the then British Ambassador to the USA.  (his parents were Bajan)  Hint :  He changed his name from Nurse to ??? and he was a communist and even lived in the then Soviet Union for a time)  he was ah old CIC boy too  :)

2.  This fella formed a Political party in T&T that was first called The ACDC ( liveAction Committee of Democratic Citizens)

3.  These two young officers of the T&T Regiment led an aboritive militay coup in Tetron Barracks in 1970.

4.  Name the trini of East Indian descent who assisted in the start of the Black power movement in T&T, the man I am looking for was a lawyer and a trade unionist at the time.

5.  Eric Williams and the PNM were accused of disenfranchising rural indo-trinis becasue they introduced a BILL that was supposed to modernize the electoral syatem...name the Bill.

6.  This QRC old boy was both a cricket enthusiast and a writer of notable fame.  He was a friend of the fella in question number 1 and a serious Pan africanist.

7.  This fella was a founding father of T&T albeit from the position as opposition leader.  He had to give consent to Eric Williams before T&T could become an independent state.

8.  This Grenadian born activist served oil workers for most of his adult life.  He was a strong opponent of the PNM and Eric Williams.

9.  The Canboulay or more properly "Cannes Brulees", riots took place in T&T in 1881.  What caused these riots?  (This is going to be a fairly long answer, but be brief.)

and finally....

10.  This man was elected mayor of Port-of-Spain 8 times!!!  He was a white trini too.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 04:48:00 PM by truetrini »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Know your Country's History Quiz.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 04:16:16 PM »
2. i think number 2 is ANR
3. Raffique
4.   Pandy
6 .  CLR James

have to figure out the rest .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 04:24:09 PM by Naminirt »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 04:20:49 PM »
8. Uriah Buzz Butler  ;D daiz all I know  :o

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 04:30:56 PM »
well yeah 8 is butler ;D
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 05:22:52 PM »
i woulda say number one is kawame ture aka stokley carmicheal..but u said his anme wa snurse.
evereyhtign else fits with kwame ture...
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 05:25:58 PM »
1. George Padmore

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 05:26:09 PM »
u said keep it breif..the riots were mianly because of the british govenrment tryign to stop de canrival...
slaves revolted
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 05:27:42 PM »
Yeah, i thought Ture too.
4 is not Panday.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 05:57:28 PM »
true well anwer we nah we hadd aknwo if we smart liek u and TI.??

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 06:02:19 PM »
Jah Gol correct, and Triniman right on all he answers too.
Uriah is also correck.

keep trying.

look ah hint...de white man had a statue in POS...
if yuh cyar get dat...den yuh in trouble

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
so sotkely charmicheal eh right...answer meh fus before i give u de name de ppl statue ,de one down by de savannah : ;)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 06:21:20 PM »
Yeah, i thought Ture too.
4 is not Panday.

pandy was dey with weeks and them in they black power movement in the 1970's

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 06:27:48 PM »
so sotkely charmicheal eh right...answer meh fus before i give u de name de ppl statue ,de one down by de savannah : ;)

no it eh right...anmd i know de name ah de man in de statue....lol

jah gol give de right answer.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 06:34:33 PM »
hm ok..if u say it eh he...and cranboulay riots

truetrini

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 06:37:22 PM »

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 08:12:40 PM »

10.  Rahael? (except he syrian not white)

truetrini

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 08:25:52 PM »

10.  Rahael? (except he syrian not white)

he have ah statue in POS?

Nah it eh he....dey even name ah big wide road after he too....some kind ah boulevard or something

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 08:31:03 PM »
Ciprianni  buh he oliver colour  ;D ;D ;D ;D

ah goin an get meh Forum Degree
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:34:23 PM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

truetrini

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 08:57:16 PM »
ah goin an get meh Forum Degree ;)

The son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Henry Cipriani, of Corsican and French stock, Arthur Andrew Cipriani was born in Trinidad on January 31, 1878. His parents had arrived in Trinidad in the middle of the 19th century and set up an agricultural business in the city of port of spain

look cipriani on de left
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:05:22 PM by truetrini »

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 11:33:06 PM »
ok allya so smart

What is de first University in Trinidad and Tobago ???

de University of Woodford Square.. ;) ;) ;) ;)

check pictures on pages 17, 22 has a picture of Butler and then page 23 has a picture of Cipriani.
http://www.birmingham-rep.co.uk/data/files/REP_INSIGHT_3_SISTERS.pdf
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:31:03 AM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 05:27:17 AM »
TT, this is the bess post in this sub-forum to date. Truly a lesson for me.

Full props for Triniman for going to the library to try and learn more about we country.

TT...Doh forget to update the post when you get all the correct answers..ah juss want to fudge.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 06:33:52 AM »
ah goin an get meh Forum Degree ;)

The son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Henry Cipriani, of Corsican and French stock, Arthur Andrew Cipriani was born in Trinidad on January 31, 1878. His parents had arrived in Trinidad in the middle of the 19th century and set up an agricultural business in the city of port of spain

look cipriani on de left

Ok so who is de fellah on de right?... Hitler had a black twin brudder too?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 08:02:49 AM »
Theophilus Albert Marryshow from Grenada.

From 1784 until its independence in 1974, Grenada remained a member of the British Empire, passing through various stages of colonial status and multiple associations with other regional states. Early in the twentieth century, it produced one of the region's outstanding leaders, T. Albert Marryshow. His Representative Government Association, which inspired similar movements in other Windward Islands states and in Trinidad, did much to encourage the liberalization of British rule in the Caribbean.

http://www.britishislesgenweb.org/~grenada/
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 08:22:49 AM »
I am going to ask a series of questions on issues,  events, and personalities related to the History of Trinidad and Tobago.

I am a Historian although not in the field of West Indian History, but I have read several books on the historiography of the Caribbean and I think that this will be an opportunity to teach somethings and for me to personally learn some new things about my country.

Here goes:

1.  This arouca born son of the soil was expelled from Howard University after he protested against the Brtish treatment of Africans during q visit to Howard U. by the then British Ambassador to the USA.  (his parents were Bajan)  Hint :  He changed his name from Nurse to ??? and he was a communist and even lived in the then Soviet Union for a time)  he was ah old CIC boy too  :)

2.  This fella formed a Political party in T&T that was first called The ACDC ( liveAction Committee of Democratic Citizens)

3.  These two young officers of the T&T Regiment led an aboritive militay coup in Tetron Barracks in 1970.

4.  Name the trini of East Indian descent who assisted in the start of the Black power movement in T&T, the man I am looking for was a lawyer and a trade unionist at the time.

5.  Eric Williams and the PNM were accused of disenfranchising rural indo-trinis becasue they introduced a BILL that was supposed to modernize the electoral syatem...name the Bill.

6.  This QRC old boy was both a cricket enthusiast and a writer of notable fame.  He was a friend of the fella in question number 1 and a serious Pan africanist.

7.  This fella was a founding father of T&T albeit from the position as opposition leader.  He had to give consent to Eric Williams before T&T could become an independent state.

8.  This Grenadian born activist served oil workers for most of his adult life.  He was a strong opponent of the PNM and Eric Williams.

9.  The Canboulay or more properly "Cannes Brulees", riots took place in T&T in 1881.  What caused these riots?  (This is going to be a fairly long answer, but be brief.)

and finally....

10.  This man was elected mayor of Port-of-Spain 8 times!!!  He was a white trini too.

1. Dont Know
2. Robinson
3. Shah and Lasalle
4. Panday
5. Electronic voting machines  ??? ???
6. CLR James
7. Capildeo or was it Bahdase  ??? ???
8. Uriah Tubal Butler
9. Too long to answer  ;D ;D ;D
10 Bertie Gomes
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 09:25:35 AM »
HEY ....who from that list allyhu consider to be the most , NATURALLY INTELLIGENT.
now this is jus opnions eh... but u can use what ever evidence yuh want to back up yuh answer.

Mine (OIPNION) is CLR JAMES
I WILL GIVE MEH EVIDENCE WHEN ALLYUH GIVE ALLYUHN OPINION

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 09:28:32 AM »

Here goes:

and finally....

1) Red Plastic Bag

2) Was he on the 'Dirty Deeds done Dirt Cheap' album cover? or he come later on?

3) Shah of Iran and Lieutenent stitchie

4) Boysie Singh

5) Trotman

6) De only real serious Pan africanist I know of is Boogsie Sharpe...but Ellie Mannete or Rudolph Charles might be right too

7) The roaring Lion

8) The mighty sparrow

9) This is a trick question...the canboulay is a dance on Best Village..so the answer is D

10) You sure he was white? coulda be a red dougla wit he hair press like james brown...it was fashinable back then to do that...I think dat is a trick question...the answer is D

TT dis is good...keep these things commin

Yuh see how ah good at it...I like to keep mih brain cell sharp
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 09:33:11 AM »

Here goes:

and finally....

1) Red Plastic Bag

2) Was he on the 'Dirty Deeds done Dirt Cheap' album cover? or he come later on?

3) Shah of Iran and Lieutenent stitchie

4) Boysie Singh

5) Trotman

6) De only real serious Pan africanist I know of is Boogsie Sharpe...but Ellie Mannete or Rudolph Charles might be right too

7) The roaring Lion

8) The mighty sparrow

9) This is a trick question...the canboulay is a dance on Best Village..so the answer is D

10) You sure he was white? coulda be a red dougla wit he hair press like james brown...it was fashinable back then to do that...I think dat is a trick question...the answer is D

TT dis is good...keep these things commin

Yuh see how ah good at it...I like to keep mih brain cell sharp

dutty? sparrow sue to"serve" oil workers. lol i knwo alot ah grenadians went to pt fortin n south to work in the oil. but dais de capacity sparrow went in as?
lol...hmmmmmmmm no wonder he have so much children

1]; } ?>