April 20, 2024, 02:11:57 AM

Author Topic: France great Djorkaeff quits game  (Read 944 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
France great Djorkaeff quits game
« on: October 30, 2006, 08:23:09 AM »
another great done.

France great Djorkaeff quits game

Former World Cup winner Youri Djorkaeff has announced his retirement.

The ex-Bolton and Blackburn striker, who played in France's 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 winning teams, ended his career with the New York Red Bulls.

"I felt that the time had come to call it a day," said the 38-year-old. "Physically I am still on top of my game but mentally it's more difficult."

He said the World Cup win was his biggest achievement and added: "There was something magical about the team."

There are only four members of that France side - Patrick Vieira, Thierry Henry, David Trezeguet and Liliam Thuram - who are still playing international football for Les Bleus.

Djorkaeff began his career at Grenoble and moved to the Premiership in 2002 when he joined Bolton, where he scored 20 league goals.

After a brief spell at Blackburn, the former Inter Milan player joined the New York Red Bulls in April 2005 for a single season.

Djorkaeff was not able to play against DC United in the second leg of the MLS Eastern Conference semi-finals because of an ankle injury.

DC United advanced to the final with a 2-1 aggregate score, signalling the end of the Frenchman's career.

"I have no regrets and achieved all I wanted to achieve in my career playing in all the top leagues of Europe," said Djorkaeff.

The Lyon-born player won 82 caps for France and scored 28 international goals.
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/6098730.stm

Published: 2006/10/30 12:10:17 GMT

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: France great Djorkaeff quits game
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 11:58:09 AM »
Djorkaeff in his Inter days was one of the best.
That side with Bam-Bam, Ronaldo, Simeone, Zanetti and  Djorkaeff was great to watch.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 12:10:57 PM »
Djorkaeff had one of the best first touch I ever see

Més que un club.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 03:43:01 PM »
Djorkaeff in his Inter days was one of the best.
That side with Bam-Bam, Ronaldo, Simeone, Zanetti and  Djorkaeff was great to watch.

:applause:

Yep, come end of the season we were always disappointed, but Djorkaeff was magic for us back then...particularly when Ronaldo was out long-term. My favourite player of the late 90's.

1]; } ?>