March 29, 2024, 06:40:56 AM

Author Topic: Head coach to work on improving U20 Team before playoff.  (Read 6504 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Head coach to work on improving U20 Team before playoff.
« on: October 30, 2006, 04:09:26 PM »
Adoring fans welcome Soca Warriors in Vienna.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior footballers were greeted by several young Austrian football fans running to meet them as they came off the team bus for their first training session at the KSC Donestaudt training center in Vienna following their arrival there earlier on Monday ahead of Wednesday’s friendly international against Austria.
With a slight drizzle and the “Soca Warriors” dressed to suit the extreme chilly conditions, the kids left their parents behind and rushed towards the bus the moment they caught sight of it as they collected signatures and those who were lucky with their parents, snapped photos before head coach Wim Rijsbergen conducted a one hour session.
The local-based contingent including the players and members of staff departed Piarco International Airport on Sunday evening before meeting the overseas-based pros in London, eventually arriving in Vienna close to 4pm (11am T&T time). It was T&T’s first return to Europe (outside of London) since their display at the 2006 World Cup in Germany. The team had also previously stayed in Bad Radkersburg, Austria for a training camp prior to the FIFA Finals.
Austria, ranked 74th, six places higher than T&T on the FIFA world rankings, will be aiming to produce a winning performance before their home fans as they warm up towards their co-hosting of the 2008 Euro Championships and Rijsbergen is all too willing to face the challenge.
“Like them and other countries at this time, we will be using the game as preparation for future competitions and we will be aiming to give a good account,” Rijsbergen said as the team checked into the Marriot Hotel, Vienna.
“Ideally we would like to play matches on each of the FIFA international dates and that’s one of the things that we are trying to look into but you never know what will happen so when these kind of games come up, you have to make the best of them. The same goes for when we could have played Mexico back in September. They wanted to play us but they wanted to play our best team and the same goes for other countries. We are missing a couple players for this game, for instance Dwight, but we have a good team still and this will give us a chance to see how good a performance and result we can get in this one,” he added.
Coventry City midfielder Chris Birchall, though out of his club’s line up last couple matches, is intent on helping T&T make its mark, particularly against the European teams.
“It’s always good when we get the chance to play the teams in Europe because people are more aware of what’s happening with your team just like it was for us at the World Cup. I can’t imagine how we could drop to 80 on the rankings after going to a World Cup and then also winning our last two games. So then maybe it means they judge this thing according to who you play and obviously your results. Regardless of that, I think we just need to play a decent game and get a good result and that will be perfect for us especially away from home,” Birchall told TTFF Media.
“It’s good to see guys like Aurtis (Whitley) and Densill (Theobald) back in the team because for me it seems like I’ve been playing so long with them even though on Thursday is going to be only a year since we got to the World Cup. And we still have a few other guys missing so I definitely think we can get better as a team looking ahead to the future.”
The only hiccup was the late unavailability of defender Dwayne Jack who is on trial at English club Wycombe Wanderers. His absence, due to problems in attaining his travel documents, means Rijsbergen will go into the game with 17 players who all arrived and trained in Vienna on Monday. John meantime, still carrying slightly healed deep cut to his ankle was not expected to train on Monday but he braved the conditions and went through the session. He may sit out Tuesday’s double sessions but will be available for Wednesday’s game at the Ernst Happel Stadium which kicks off at 8:30 pm (3:30pm T&T time).

Photos;

Click Here.
News from the 12th of November 2006.

Two replacements as Soca Warriors head to Vienna.
[/size]

The home-based contingent of the Trinidad and Tobago senior team including head coach Wim Rijsbergen and nine T&T-based professionals will depart for London on Sunday evening en route to Vienna for Wednesday’s friendly international against Austria.
Rijsbergen will lead his troops into their final friendly international for 2006, on the eve of the one year anniversary of their 2006 World Cup qualification against Bahrain in Manama.
This time around though, the team will not be skippered by Dwight Yorke as he is unavailable and has been replaced in the squad by San Juan Jabloteh’s Kerry Baptiste. Walsall striker Hector is also unable to make the trip and his place has been taken by W Connection’s Andre Toussaint.
The rest of the squad remains intact with Dennis Lawrence (Swansea), Chris Birchall, Stern John (Coventry City), Atiba Charles (Glenavon), Cyd Gray (San Juan Jabloteh), Jason Scotland (St Johnstone), Carlos Edwards (Luton Town), Collin Samuel (Dundee United), Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA), Aurtis Whitley (Jabloteh) and Kansas City Wizards’ Scott Sealy in there. 
The others included in the team are five Pro League players who were in the squad for the recent wins over St Vincent/Grenadines and Panama. They are goalkeepers Jan Michael Williams (W Connection) and Marvin Phillip, Andrei Pacheco (W Connection), Dwayne Jack (Tobago United) and Nigel Daniel (San Juan Jabloteh). All the overseas pros will assemble with the rest of the squad in London.
“At the moment we have these two changes but we will work around that and ensure that we can focus on the match on Wednesday,” Rijsbergen said. Assistant coach Anton Corneal will not travel with the team as he stays back to work alongside head coach Brian Williams with the National Under 20 team ahead of their qualifying playoff with Jamaica. The rest of the staff including assistant Jan Van Deinsen, goalkeeper coach Michael Maurice and other members will go to Vienna.
Meantime, Samuel has recovered from a hamstring problem and came off the bench on 54 minutes to assist in Dundee’s United’s single goal win over Kilmarnock.
John netted in the 22nd minute in Coventry’s 2-1 loss to Derby County and seems to be in good touch ahead of Wednesday’s friendly at the Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna from 3:30pm.
“I think I’m in pretty good form at the moment and that’s good personally. But I would have preferred at least a draw. I think we could have come away with a result on the day,” John told TTFF Media. “The next match is on the international stage and hopefully I can take my form into it and the same goes for the rest of the guys. We have been playing regularly and our level is pretty decent at the moment. It’s a decent occasion for us too because the next day is going to make it a year since we qualified and that will always be a special date for us. Hopefully we can celebrate it with a good win over the Austrians.”
Austrian Federation officials noted that close to 10,000 tickets have been sold for the match which will be shown live to local viewers on CNC 3.
Austria coach Josef Hickersberger,with four defeats and a draw in the early period of his post, will be looking to build on last month's much-needed friendly wins over Liechtenstein and Switzerland. Austria have already qualified for Euro 2008 as tournament co-hosts along with Switzerland.
News from the 09th of November 2006.

Luton boss urges Carlos to score more.
[/size]

Luton Town manager Mike Newell has urged national midfielder Carlos Edwards to keep pushing himself to more goals as the season continues in the English Championship Division season. And Edwards, a recent double scorer in a 5-1 run over Leeds United may also be looking to increase his tally for the “Soca Warriors” who face Austria next Wednesday in Vienna.
Edwards has five goals this season for Luton and Newell wants more from the former Defence Force soldier.
“Carlos has done a decent job all season, with the exception of the game against Birmingham after he had been playing for Trinidad & Tobago," Newell said.
"But he has a great engine, and we are badgering him to score more goals, because he does have it in him."
The 27-year-old former Wrexham winger has been linked to Watford and Newcastle United and it’s anyone’s guest where he could end up when the transfer window reopens in January.
“At the moment I’m enjoying playing for Luton . Our results haven’t been all that good last couple games but we will work on that and try to get things going again as we go into the Christmas period,” said Edwards. “It’s always good to get among the goals and I will definitely like to get some more. My emphasis is on ensuring I can cover all aspects of my game from the sides and then take it from there. If the goal looks good enough for a go then sure I will have a go at it,” added Edwards.
Julius & others honoured in NCAA.

Three former National youth team players were honoured for their efforts in the American NCAA Championship last weekend.
Among them was former National Under 17 defender Julius James who earned the “Best Defender” award in the Big East Championship while starring for University of Connecticut. James, a former ST Anthony’s College player, won the award for the second season running. Playing 18 games this year, he was also voted the preseason “Defender of the year”.
Meantime, Under 21 forward Kevon Neaves of University of South Florida was named on the Big East Third All Star Team while another T&T Under 21 player – Kareem Smith was named on the Big East Second All Star Team.
In the lower West Virginia Conference, there were also honours for a T&T trio. Former Presentation College, San Fernando player Makesi Bostic of Davis and Elkins was named on the All West Virginia Conference team while Lyndelle Pompey of Wheeling Jesuit University was also named among the defenders on the same All-Star team. Tobago-born striker Greg Khan earned himself a vote on the second All Star team.
News from the 04th of November 2006.

Pros reassemble for friendly vs Austria.

On eve of W/Cup qualfication anniversary, pros reassemble for friendly vs Austria. National Team head coach Wim Rijsbergen has recalled local based World Cup duo Aurtis Whitley and Densill Theobald as well as in form MLS striker Scott Sealy for this country’s friendly international against Austria in Vienna on November 15.
The game, which will be played on the eve of the one year anniversary of T&T’s World Cup qualification, will see both Whitley and Theobald line up for the country for the first time since the Germany finals.
And Rijsbergen and not to forget fans of the “Soca Warriors” will be pleased to note that several of the regulars have made themselves available and have been selected for the match which has a kick off time of 3:30 pm (TT time) at the Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna. Incidentally, T&T will also play the game in white shirts just like they did against Bahrain on that faithful day as the hosts will be in their accustomed red shirts.
Those include Swansea City defender Dennis Lawrence, the man who scored the goal to beat Bahrain on November 16, 2005, Chris Birchall – another scorer versus Bahrain, Stern John (Coventry City), Atiba Charles (Glenavon), Cyd Gray (San Juan Jabloteh), Jason Scotland (St Johnstone), Carlos Edwards (Luton Town), Collin Samuel (Dundee United), Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA), Aurtis Whitley (Jabloteh) and skipper Dwight Yorke (Sunderland). Kansas City Wizards’ Scott Sealy and Walsall’s Hector Sam have also earned recalls.
The others included in the team include five Pro League players who were in the squad for the recent wins over St Vincent/Grenadines and Panama. They are goalkeepers Jan-Michael Williams (W Connection) and Marvin Phillip, Andrei Pacheco (W Connection), Dwayne Jack (Tobago United) and Nigel Daniel (San Juan Jabloteh).
Yorke was marking his 35th birthday in Sunderland’s team hotel on Friday as they prepared to face Norwich City and he added that he will confirm his availability with manager Roy Keane on Saturday.
Rijsbergen summed up his squad selection, saying that he would continue the process of see what’s at his disposal at least for another year leading up to the start of the 2010 World Cup qualifiers.
“It’s another friendly where we get a chance to see how our players are doing and those who are coming on at this level. We are still going through that stage,” Rijsbergen told TTFF Media.
“We are constantly looking at players both here and abroad. If we don’t see them then we get the information from the coaches.”
The Dutchman also commented on the recall of Theobald and Whitley by saying: “I was talking to Densill and explained to him and Silvio (Spann), that as soon as they start playing again, then we can see you decide if you can be invited to the national team. It’s the same with Silvio and of course we now have Aurtis again who has been part of the squad along the way.
“We keep trying to find new players and also rotating. That’s why we brought back Scott (Sealy) to see what his  level of play is like now and the it’s the same with Hector Sam who suffered an injury before. We will give them and other players to chance to train and possibly play and this will be the continuing story for at least another year or so. It all depends on how players perform for us, for their clubs or through the Pro League,” Rijsbergen explained.
On the recall of Pacheco and Daniel, Rijsbergen noted: “We gave them a chance and Nigel did well for us. As for Pacheco, he isn’t playing all the time but he has the potential and we decided to invite him again. At least he will train on a certain level and we can see how he can be used in the future. We don’t have Avery for this game because he asked to be excused because of their playoffs and that possibly means even trying Andrei in defense depending on how the training goes.”
Williams and Phillip, both goalkeepers of T&T’s Under 17 team at the 2001 FIFA Championship held here have kept their places after the last couple games and Rijsbergen maintains they will continue to grow at this level and under the guidance of goalkeeping coach Michael Maurice.
“Clayton Ince was injured and Kelvin is only just starting back and if you want to improve your local goalies then they have to get this experience. It’s different with goalies and we will use this opportunity to give them the chance.”
Rijsbergen and Dutch assistant coach Jan Van Deinsen and Anton Corneal have ensured that their work involves helping the Under 20s get ready for their continuing qualifying bid and the same goes with the Under 17s. All three men will also visit Charleston, South Carolina for a scouting camp which runs from November 22-26. Corneal noted that the sessions are not opened but upon invitation as numbers have been increasingly high. He mentioned that preference is being given to players who have had any association with past national teams, All-Americans or others “who may have been worked with before and lost through the system of the transfer to the US Leagues.”
News from the 31st of October 2006

Head coach to work on improving U20 team before playoff.

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 20 head coach is hopeful of securing the services of captain Radanfah Abu Bakr and US-based defender Stefan De Las for their upcoming Caribbean Football Union playoffs for a spot in the CONCACAF final round of Under 20 World qualifiers.
T&T, by virtue of finishing runners up in their second round group after a 3-0 win over St Vincent and the Grenadines on Sunday, must face Jamaica in a playoff. Jamaica also finished second in their group after tying 0-0 with group winners Haiti on the weekend. The dates for the playoff were not confirmed but is carded to be in a month's time and must be completed before year end. T&T will play away in the opening leg, CFU General Secretary Kerri Alleyne relayed on Monday.
Williams must now reassemble his team for competitive football and this means that Abu Bakr, who attends Kingston College in London and De Las of Graceland College in the USA will have to get further time off from their teams. Both players were scheduled to return to their respective destinations early this week.
The head coach added that he may even look at the possibility of adding some new faces out of the USA if he has a chance to observe the available talent in time for the playoffs.
Looking back at the win, Williams commented “We know we had a quality squad but we just had to put it together. Today I have to give all credit to the guys for a spirited performance. We have to take it from here and maintain the focus. The World Cup is our main objective but we know we have another hurdle to climb with the playoffs.”
He didn’t hide the fact that he felt needing a three goal marginal win would have been an uphill task for his team.
“It was a doubtful but it wasn’t beyond our team. We just had to go all the way and ensure we controlled the midfield and execute up top. Our boys responded well..”
And having campaigned with national teams in the past as a player, Williams knows what the pressures can be like and even though the crowds at the recent matches were poor, he is also getting accustomed to handling the game under high expectations as a coach.
“Obviously the expectation playing at home is always great. I will say that at least in the past we have been known as the mecca of football in the Caribbean and we are expected to easily go through the teams now. But I know that is a bit difficult because the gap has closed in the world today and it won’t come easy without preparation over time. Playing like home is like anywhere else as well with regards to the pressure.”
And looking ahead to meeting Caribbean rivals Jamaica, Williams said that again preparation will be the key.
“It’s more about us needing to be mentally ready as well. We know our potential and we need to play with that in mind. I will say to them (T&T players) to get back on the training field and keep everything on the ground.
“Preparation is the key we will be back in training on November 6 in which time we will work on our weak areas. We will try to get a couple more friendlies and maybe some stiffer opponents,” he said.
About the availability of Abu Bakr and De Las and possibly some additional faces, the former Trintoc player said: “We will have a discussion and see how possible for them to get released from their schools again. We may even look at a couple players from the USA once we can get that chance to strengthen the squad even in time for the playoffs.”
The dreadlocks southerner also spoke of his little pep talk with striker Matthew Barthlomew who had failed to deliver the goods before Sunday’s win in which he netted a vital double.
“I had a personal talk with Matthew and let him know our expectations of him and also what is expected of him in Trinidad here as a professional player. He has been getting goals in the Pro League so I said to him ‘Matthew you have to step up and work hard in this one.” So it was good and I congratulate him for taking up the challenge and getting the two goals.”
And the manner in which T&T turned it on and persisted in the second half was a welcomed sight.
“This is what we decided in that we would leave this kind of strength coming off the bench. Javed (Mohammed) is a very disciplined player in doing his task so he felt we could start with him and then bring (Aaron) Downing on when things got weary and he could run for us which is exactly what he did. The team plan worked well for us and I want to compliment the guys for this,” Williams concluded.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:30:41 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Re: Head coach to work on improving U20 Team before playoff
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 04:41:36 PM »
Whim and the other Dutch assistant and Corneal need to be more involved for this final leg.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Head coach to work on improving U20 Team before playoff.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 05:24:02 PM »
they will
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Milan!!!

• Naps man fuh life!!!
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 05:25:32 PM »
fuh real...we need a little dutch input in the final leg...i wanna make sure when i hit up dem stadia all over canada trinidad representing largeee

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »
they will but why the focus on the US so much i guess it eh have anyone in england
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 05:59:59 PM »
The funny thing about this is, I beg everyone affiliated with the TTFF to get my wife cousin (Kyle) on the team for a "trial" and they all just ignored my request, or never followed up and the kid was willing to pay his own way too, all he needed was a trial. Now life so funny Kyle or a matter of fact any US based will finally get a looked at because the situation has changed now.

Just for the record, Kyle Bethel was invited to "train" with the U.S. U-17/18 team in December. He is 6-2, 17 years of age and normally scores 30 plus goals for his high school team here in the USA. So he cant be that bad.... say what, such is life. Whether he makes the team or not, at least he gave it a try.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 03:54:46 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 06:12:51 PM »
The funny thing about this is, I beg everyone affiliated with the TTFF to get my wife cousin (Kyle) on the team for a "trial" and they all just ignored my request, or never followed up and the kid was willing to pay his own way too, all he needed was a trial. Now life so funny Kyle or a matter of fact any US based will finally get a looked at because the situation has changed now.

Just for the record, Kyle Bethel was invited to "train" with the U.S. U-17 team in December. He is 6-2, 17 years of age and normally scores 30 plus goals for his high school team here in the USA. So he cant be that bad.... say what, such is life. Whether he makes the team or not, at least he gave it a try.

bredda de ttff and selectors of the team still have curry favour in dem, dey still asleep, its time for dem to wake up, ah hope yuh family get thru bredda bc what u have told me about dis youth, he could walk on the tt squad... :beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 06:36:29 PM »
Well actually TrinInfinite, I do not want to sound like he is a superstar because playing internationally is something different especially for a team which is totally new to him. Yes, he deserve a trial for the least, but not a grantee spot on the team just like any other player. All players should earn their picks. I believe the TTFF needs to expand their network badly because a lot of good players will get overlooked. I know its easier said than done, but not impossible....

ONE !
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 07:42:46 PM »
LP was making an attempt at reaching our to the US based players.

A system should be developed where twice for the the year all the youth teams(U23, U21, U20, U17, U15) do a small tour in the US. During this time they could also use this as a recruiting machine. That way twice for the year, new talent is being discovered or exisiting talent previously identified is being evaluated for progress.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 08:05:19 PM »
Wim and he dutch brothers were at the game taking notes etc so I am sure they would have made some observations. They need to go with the team to JA.

I cyah believe man allin for Corneal to be more involved. He have enough work with the under 17. Let the pros work with Brian et al
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 03:54:17 AM »

Just for the record, Kyle Bethel was invited to "train" with the U.S. U-17/18 team in December. He is 6-2, 17 years of age and normally scores 30 plus goals for his high school team here in the USA. So he cant be that bad.... say what, such is life. Whether he makes the team or not, at least he gave it a try.

I saw Kyle played for his college twice and I must say, he can surely add to this Under 20 team, he is powerful with great techniques. Flex, the TTFF did you a favor by not inviting Kyle. Why would you want to get Kyle involved with a bunch of un-professional men.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 03:55:40 AM by Flex »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 06:05:08 AM »
we better look all how now

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 10:40:39 AM »
Pros reassemble for friendly vs Austria.

On eve of W/Cup qualfication anniversary, pros reassemble for friendly vs Austria. National Team head coach Wim Rijsbergen has recalled local based World Cup duo Aurtis Whitley and Densill Theobald as well as in form MLS striker Scott Sealy for this country’s friendly international against Austria in Vienna on November 15.
The game, which will be played on the eve of the one year anniversary of T&T’s World Cup qualification, will see both Whitley and Theobald line up for the country for the first time since the Germany finals.
And Rijsbergen and not to forget fans of the “Soca Warriors” will be pleased to note that several of the regulars have made themselves available and have been selected for the match which has a kick off time of 3:30 pm (TT time) at the Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna. Incidentally, T&T will also play the game in white shirts just like they did against Bahrain on that faithful day as the hosts will be in their accustomed red shirts.
Those include Swansea City defender Dennis Lawrence, the man who scored the goal to beat Bahrain on November 16, 2005, Chris Birchall – another scorer versus Bahrain, Stern John (Coventry City), Atiba Charles (Glenavon), Cyd Gray (San Juan Jabloteh), Jason Scotland (St Johnstone), Carlos Edwards (Luton Town), Collin Samuel (Dundee United), Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA), Aurtis Whitley (Jabloteh) and skipper Dwight Yorke (Sunderland). Kansas City Wizards’ Scott Sealy and Walsall’s Hector Sam have also earned recalls.
The others included in the team include five Pro League players who were in the squad for the recent wins over St Vincent/Grenadines and Panama. They are goalkeepers Jan-Michael Williams (W Connection) and Marvin Phillip, Andrei Pacheco (W Connection), Dwayne Jack (Tobago United) and Nigel Daniel (San Juan Jabloteh).
Yorke was marking his 35th birthday in Sunderland’s team hotel on Friday as they prepared to face Norwich City and he added that he will confirm his availability with manager Roy Keane on Saturday.
Rijsbergen summed up his squad selection, saying that he would continue the process of see what’s at his disposal at least for another year leading up to the start of the 2010 World Cup qualifiers.
“It’s another friendly where we get a chance to see how our players are doing and those who are coming on at this level. We are still going through that stage,” Rijsbergen told TTFF Media.
“We are constantly looking at players both here and abroad. If we don’t see them then we get the information from the coaches.”
The Dutchman also commented on the recall of Theobald and Whitley by saying: “I was talking to Densill and explained to him and Silvio (Spann), that as soon as they start playing again, then we can see you decide if you can be invited to the national team. It’s the same with Silvio and of course we now have Aurtis again who has been part of the squad along the way.
“We keep trying to find new players and also rotating. That’s why we brought back Scott (Sealy) to see what his  level of play is like now and the it’s the same with Hector Sam who suffered an injury before. We will give them and other players to chance to train and possibly play and this will be the continuing story for at least another year or so. It all depends on how players perform for us, for their clubs or through the Pro League,” Rijsbergen explained.
On the recall of Pacheco and Daniel, Rijsbergen noted: “We gave them a chance and Nigel did well for us. As for Pacheco, he isn’t playing all the time but he has the potential and we decided to invite him again. At least he will train on a certain level and we can see how he can be used in the future. We don’t have Avery for this game because he asked to be excused because of their playoffs and that possibly means even trying Andrei in defense depending on how the training goes.”
Williams and Phillip, both goalkeepers of T&T’s Under 17 team at the 2001 FIFA Championship held here have kept their places after the last couple games and Rijsbergen maintains they will continue to grow at this level and under the guidance of goalkeeping coach Michael Maurice.
“Clayton Ince was injured and Kelvin is only just starting back and if you want to improve your local goalies then they have to get this experience. It’s different with goalies and we will use this opportunity to give them the chance.”
Rijsbergen and Dutch assistant coach Jan Van Deinsen and Anton Corneal have ensured that their work involves helping the Under 20s get ready for their continuing qualifying bid and the same goes with the Under 17s. All three men will also visit Charleston, South Carolina for a scouting camp which runs from November 22-26. Corneal noted that the sessions are not opened but upon invitation as numbers have been increasingly high. He mentioned that preference is being given to players who have had any association with past national teams, All-Americans or others “who may have been worked with before and lost through the system of the transfer to the US Leagues.”
News from the 31st of October 2006

Head coach to work on improving U20 team before playoff.

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 20 head coach is hopeful of securing the services of captain Radanfah Abu Bakr and US-based defender Stefan De Las for their upcoming Caribbean Football Union playoffs for a spot in the CONCACAF final round of Under 20 World qualifiers.
T&T, by virtue of finishing runners up in their second round group after a 3-0 win over St Vincent and the Grenadines on Sunday, must face Jamaica in a playoff. Jamaica also finished second in their group after tying 0-0 with group winners Haiti on the weekend. The dates for the playoff were not confirmed but is carded to be in a month's time and must be completed before year end. T&T will play away in the opening leg, CFU General Secretary Kerri Alleyne relayed on Monday.
Williams must now reassemble his team for competitive football and this means that Abu Bakr, who attends Kingston College in London and De Las of Graceland College in the USA will have to get further time off from their teams. Both players were scheduled to return to their respective destinations early this week.
The head coach added that he may even look at the possibility of adding some new faces out of the USA if he has a chance to observe the available talent in time for the playoffs.
Looking back at the win, Williams commented “We know we had a quality squad but we just had to put it together. Today I have to give all credit to the guys for a spirited performance. We have to take it from here and maintain the focus. The World Cup is our main objective but we know we have another hurdle to climb with the playoffs.”
He didn’t hide the fact that he felt needing a three goal marginal win would have been an uphill task for his team.
“It was a doubtful but it wasn’t beyond our team. We just had to go all the way and ensure we controlled the midfield and execute up top. Our boys responded well..”
And having campaigned with national teams in the past as a player, Williams knows what the pressures can be like and even though the crowds at the recent matches were poor, he is also getting accustomed to handling the game under high expectations as a coach.
“Obviously the expectation playing at home is always great. I will say that at least in the past we have been known as the mecca of football in the Caribbean and we are expected to easily go through the teams now. But I know that is a bit difficult because the gap has closed in the world today and it won’t come easy without preparation over time. Playing like home is like anywhere else as well with regards to the pressure.”
And looking ahead to meeting Caribbean rivals Jamaica, Williams said that again preparation will be the key.
“It’s more about us needing to be mentally ready as well. We know our potential and we need to play with that in mind. I will say to them (T&T players) to get back on the training field and keep everything on the ground.
“Preparation is the key we will be back in training on November 6 in which time we will work on our weak areas. We will try to get a couple more friendlies and maybe some stiffer opponents,” he said.
About the availability of Abu Bakr and De Las and possibly some additional faces, the former Trintoc player said: “We will have a discussion and see how possible for them to get released from their schools again. We may even look at a couple players from the USA once we can get that chance to strengthen the squad even in time for the playoffs.”
The dreadlocks southerner also spoke of his little pep talk with striker Matthew Barthlomew who had failed to deliver the goods before Sunday’s win in which he netted a vital double.
“I had a personal talk with Matthew and let him know our expectations of him and also what is expected of him in Trinidad here as a professional player. He has been getting goals in the Pro League so I said to him ‘Matthew you have to step up and work hard in this one.” So it was good and I congratulate him for taking up the challenge and getting the two goals.”
And the manner in which T&T turned it on and persisted in the second half was a welcomed sight.
“This is what we decided in that we would leave this kind of strength coming off the bench. Javed (Mohammed) is a very disciplined player in doing his task so he felt we could start with him and then bring (Aaron) Downing on when things got weary and he could run for us which is exactly what he did. The team plan worked well for us and I want to compliment the guys for this,” Williams concluded.

This is all good news, I feel so proud when the fellas take the field. If we keep all them together and playing like this we would be formidable in CONCACAF. Looking forward to the results
GO WARRIORS GO

Who here feel we deserve a rematch with England

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 10:46:13 AM »

Flex, the camp on NC this month, is by ivite only? Has Kyle been invited?  I know a few kids here in South FL I would like to be that try out also.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 11:16:14 AM »

Let me clear this up, Kyle was indeed called up to the camp. My apologies to everyone affected by my above comment..

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 12:32:56 PM »

Let me clear this up, Kyle was indeed called up to the camp. My apologies to everyone affected by my above comment..

Im glad he got called, it at least shows a bit more open mindedness on behalf of the TTFF.  Hoping my cuz could get an invite also.

Anybody planning on going to go scope out the scenes at this camp?

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 03:40:43 PM »
Ah hope Fuentes doing some reporting on this camp!
Warrior For Life !!

1]; } ?>