March 28, 2024, 04:49:54 PM

Author Topic: New movie about Jesus...interesting  (Read 8089 times)

truetrini

New movie about Jesus...interesting
« on: October 31, 2006, 06:56:53 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Simon Hooper for CNN
Adjust font size:
(CNN) -- The life of Jesus has always provided controversial subject matter for filmmakers.

From Monty Python's irreverent "The Life of Brian" to Martin Scorsese's "The Last Temptation of Christ," which depicted a sex scene between Jesus and Mary Magdalene, Hollywood's often iconoclastic interpretations of the gospel story have rarely failed to stir up religious fury.

Earlier this year Mel Gibson's bloody account of the final hours of Jesus, "The Passion of the Christ," was named the most controversial Hollywood movie of all time by U.S. magazine "Entertainment Weekly."

Appearing at No. 13 on the same list was the movie adaptation of Dan Brown's blockbuster, "The Da Vinci Code."

But a new film covering the last two days of Jesus' life is aiming to stir up a new debate about popular representations of Christ by depicting him as black. Furthermore, the film suggests that the persecution suffered by Jesus may have been racially motivated.

"Color of the Cross," written, produced and starring Haitian-American filmmaker Jean Claude LaMarre opens in around 30 cinemas across the U.S. on Friday. The film is scheduled to open to broader audiences next month.

LaMarre said the film was intended as a step towards rehabilitating the portrayal of black characters in Hollywood films after decades of negative stereotyping.

"The idea of re-imaging is very important to my vision of this story," said LaMarre. "For decades blacks have been the victims of negative imaging... Jesus is a great place to start."

Stephenson Humphries-Brooks, an associate professor of religious studies at New York's Hamilton College and author of "Cinematic Savior: Hollywood's Making of the American Christ," said the film was not the first to raise the issue of race in regard to Jesus.

The 1973 musical "Jesus Christ, Superstar" controversially depicted Judas as a black character while a 1992 film called "The Second Coming" featured a black Jesus.

But he said "Color of the Cross" was the first film to feature a black lead character in a straight interpretation of the Gospel story -- and that it could have a powerful effect on African-American self-identity by suggesting an alternative to the dominant white stereotype of Jesus as a white European male.

"Universally in American film up until now Jesus has been a white male," Humphries-Brooks told CNN. "For the first time you have a depiction of Jesus in the hands of an African American director and an African American cast that says what their particular community's understanding of Jesus is."

But could Jesus really have been black, and a victim of racial persecution as the film suggests? The makers of "Color of the Cross" claim the plot "remains true to Biblical and historical facts."

Humphries-Brooks said that mattered less than the relevance of the film to contemporary audiences and questioned whether an "authentic" account of Jesus' life was cinematically possible.

"The ancient world didn't conceptualize race as the contemporary world does. My guess is the film is really translating an American black experience back to the Gospel era," he said.

"In my reading, every Jesus film has been about the current moment. Film is primarily a medium of communication between a contemporary director and a contemporary audience. There's never been an authentic, historically accurate Jesus put on film. Will there ever be? We shouldn't expect it."

So far "Color of the Cross" has "flown under the radar" in terms of attracting criticism from Christian groups, said Humphries-Brooks. But he warned that could change after the film opened to public audiences.

"Normally when these films come out you have immediate responses from somewhat conservative Christian groups and Jewish groups because they are very concerned about anti-Semitism," he said.

"When Scorsese came out with 'Last Temptation" Christian groups just went after him and the film almost didn't make it out. With the Gibson film ['The Passion of the Christ'] Jewish groups, biblical scholars and moderate to liberal Christian groups were worried."

But he said cinema's widespread and cross-cultural appeal made it a potent forum for debate about issues of religion and race -- and said "Color of the Cross" made "a very strong statement, iconographically and religiously."

"In America the cinema is the place where religious values and self identity is worked out publicly," he explained. "We all go to different churches but all of us go to the same movies."

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: New movie about Jesus...interesting
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 09:27:10 AM »
ah blak god? r u madd, r u tryin tuh turn "blk ppl" into atheist? u all know dat we need our white saviour, stop de f$%kery now! ok  ;)  :devil:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 01:36:22 PM »
This movie is not getting the recognition it should. I thought that a movie that showed black as divine would be talked about all over in movie reviews. But I have not heard much about the movie at all, except for in here and some black talk radio shows. The media usually tries to create controversy when there is a movie that depicts christ in any way. This time I haven't heard anything.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 01:41:03 PM »
as Joseph Ratzinger would say
"Keep quiet and maybe it will all go away"
 :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A942-2005Apr19.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:45:19 PM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 02:49:11 PM »
ah blak god? r u madd, r u tryin tuh turn "blk ppl" into atheist? u all know dat we need our white saviour, stop de f$%kery now! ok  ;)  :devil:

Madd ya Madd  ;D
white saviour ???
since when ???
ah thought was ah american dougla with long curly hair
and does wash she clothes in clorox

ah frien from china send meh ah picture ah Jesus....ah chinese in white
anybody who ever visited brazil will see ah real good looking spanish dude, toes well manicured
ah sure dem in africa have ah tall smooth skin black man with long rass and wearing ah dashaki
doh talk bout dem christens in india....

who knows what he/she looks like.
allyuh jus continue to pray to who allyuh accustom prayin too...if it working, doh stress it :beermug:

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 03:32:18 PM »

Madd ya Madd  ;D
white saviour ???
since when ???
ah thought was ah american dougla with long curly hair
and does wash she clothes in clorox

ah frien from china send meh ah picture ah Jesus....ah chinese in white
anybody who ever visited brazil will see ah real good looking spanish dude, toes well manicured
ah sure dem in africa have ah tall smooth skin black man with long rass and wearing ah dashaki
doh talk bout dem christens in india....

who knows what he/she looks like.
allyuh jus continue to pray to who allyuh accustom prayin too...if it working, doh stress it :beermug:

well I have a question fuh forumites...growing up as a Christian in Trinidad (or even a non-Christian), what does Jesus look like for you? I sure most of us have some kinda mental image. Curious to hear some responses.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 05:40:06 PM »
to truly answer ya grande
from small i was always told dis was jesus: a tall fair but yet tannish man with blue eyes, straight nose, long blonde hair with pink lips,
fingers and toes well mani and pedi cured, long white clothes and with the prefect smile.

den I grew up and realize dat all dem pictures of "jesus" was just ah artist impression of what "dem" tink he/she look like....and we all buy dat.

BUT from readings of ancient religious knowledge back in africa....I saw somewhere dat he is really ah black man with long black hair. Now me ain't saying is truth eh....ah read it somewhere and if only ah could put meh hands on dey book and author right now I would.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 05:47:42 PM »
But I thought Morgan Freeman was already god.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 05:55:10 PM »
Take your pic  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 06:14:55 PM »
to truly answer ya grande
from small i was always told dis was jesus: a tall fair but yet tannish man with blue eyes, straight nose, long blonde hair with pink lips,
fingers and toes well mani and pedi cured, long white clothes and with the prefect smile.

den I grew up and realize dat all dem pictures of "jesus" was just ah artist impression of what "dem" tink he/she look like....and we all buy dat.

BUT from readings of ancient religious knowledge back in africa....I saw somewhere dat he is really ah black man with long black hair. Now me ain't saying is truth eh....ah read it somewhere and if only ah could put meh hands on dey book and author right now I would.

yeah Cana...from childhood I was exposed to de same...pretty much de same images that DeSoWa posted (except de last one). I have since seen a few different images...like a black man with long dreads, or an Arabic-looking man with short curly hair.

but whatever de image they are all artistic variations like you said...so after realizing that and letting go of de preconceptions, now I doh really have any kind of conception as to what he look like...so I trying to see how simply being uncertain (or not caring) will work out.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 06:33:16 PM »
No one who living now know what god looks like. and thank god for that other wise that woulda jus fuel more bacanal.

thank god crisitans not as extreeme as some muslims other wise it woulda be we version of jihad..what is it crusades>>
 Belief is for mortals proof is for GOD.
we could belive how good look all we want. we  haave no proof. and thank god for that!!!
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 06:40:05 PM »
who say Jesus wasnt ah pot belly arab?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 06:41:45 PM »
how come is only Latins have de balls to name dey sons "Jesus" <Hey-suss>
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 06:44:04 PM »
No one who living now know what god looks like. and thank god for that other wise that woulda jus fuel more bacanal.

thank god crisitans not as extreeme as some muslims other wise it woulda be we version of jihad..what is it crusades>>
we could belive how good look all we want. we  haave no proof. and thank god for that!!!

boy I think people who had proclaim to be Christians had committed atrocities just as extreme as some who proclaim to be muslims.

Whole indigenous tribes had get wipe out by Christians who proclaim dey was doing "God's work" when they had refuse to convert or give up dey land...Christianity was also one of de major instruments used to justify de slave trade and also reinforce colonialism in India, Africa and the Caribbean

look Benny Hinn brainwashing ppl to dis very day with his "pray and pay" method

yuh right, now we doh know what God nor Jesus look like but Organic yuh still eh answer meh original question  ;D

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 06:46:15 PM »

yea Jefferz he coulda be
he coulda be a cokie-eye eskimo too nobody know

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 06:55:47 PM »
Jesus does cut my grass every two weeks....right here in Virginia!

He last name is Torres

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 06:56:54 PM »

He last name is Torres

wat ah tell yuh!!

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 06:59:11 PM »

boy I think people who had proclaim to be Christians had committed atrocities just as extreme as some who proclaim to be muslims.

Whole indigenous tribes had get wipe out by Christians who proclaim dey was doing "God's work" when they had refuse to convert or give up dey land...Christianity was also one of de major instruments used to justify de slave trade and also reinforce colonialism in India, Africa and the Caribbean

look Benny Hinn brainwashing ppl to dis very day with his "pray and pay" method

yuh right, now we doh know what God nor Jesus look like but Organic yuh still eh answer meh original question  ;D

que pregunta??
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 07:01:12 PM »

yea Jefferz he coulda be

what i am more curious about is wether or not he was really the kind hearted saviour that he is said to be...

cuz A.) There is frequently an untold side to every story

B.) These are ancient scriptures that have been overseen for many many many centuries and are unlikely to have not been tainted by exageration any other kind of factual tampering, especially considering the blantant corruption within the catholic church.

and C.) its in human nature to create some big spiritual meaning to life to counter the hopelessness felt when you realize that life will end and then you and everything around you will cease to exist. Thus we make up religious messiahs to support this whole theory of "God"

I cant bother debating what he looked like when im not even sure if he existed.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 07:01:29 PM »

He last name is Torres
he mexican..if so..tell him hurry n send for de 30 other members of eh fmaily...yuh president putting up ah fence...fus is a ah cunny hole....before he spend the money in other ways..any hwo tell
hay-sues  to hurry
so after vagina hair stop allyuh cheap labour who will clean allyuh toilets....
lol

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 07:02:43 PM »

yea Jefferz he coulda be

what i am more curious about is wether or not he was really the kind hearted saviour that he is said to be...

B.) These are ancient scriptures that have been overseen for many many many centuries and are unlikely to have not been tainted by exageration any other kind of factual tampering, especially considering the blantant corruption within the catholic church.

and C.) its in human nature to create some big spiritual meaning to life to counter the hopelessness felt when you realize that life will end and then you and everything around you will cease to exist. Thus we make up religious messiahs to support this whole theory of "God"

yuh is a agnostic or an atheist?

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 07:11:21 PM »

yea Jefferz he coulda be

more so agnostic... Im simply not convinced by the idea of god... the only thing that keeps me believing and hoping in the slightest bit apart from my natural desire to believe in life after death is the fact that the beggining of existance, how it came into being seems so vast that it could not have been made by anything other than a "God"... however I dont bother to debate it too much becuase then it rolls onto...

ok... why is god allowing so much suffering in the world... then i think to myself... well... if there really is a "God" then i wouldnt ever be able to comprehend the vast complexity of his reasoning... im not against and im not for...

And what disgruntles me the most is the amount of death, destruction, confusion and chaos that is created in through the idea of God and what his real ideals are.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 07:15:30 PM by Jefferz »

truetrini

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 07:19:56 PM »
so after vagina hair stop allyuh cheap labour who will clean allyuh toilets....
lol

canada...obviously!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 07:23:29 PM »
Me eh see what is de big deal. Everybody have ah right tuh see him in any color dey want to; in our own image and likeness. De ting I does trip on is when yuh have ah non-white representation of God, Jesus or whoever and people does say how yuh blasphemous. Steups. Ah must say ah was surprised one time when ah went into a Russian Orthodox Chhurch and all of de art one walls depicted black saints and angels etc. just like what you would see in Ethiopian Orthodox religous art.

Moses

Jesus
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2006, 07:23:37 PM »

yea Jefferz he coulda be

more so agnostic... Im simply not convinced by the idea of god... the only thing that keeps me believing and hoping in the slightest bit apart from my natural desire to believe in life after death is the fact that the beggining of existance, how it came into being seems so vast that it could not have been made by anything other than a "God"... however I dont bother to debate it too much becuase then it rolls onto...

ok... why is god allowing so much suffering in the world... then i think to myself... well... if there really is a "God" then i wouldnt ever be able to comprehend the vast complexity of his reasoning... im not against and im not for...

And what disgruntles me the most is the amount of death, destruction, confusion and chaos that is created in through the idea of God and what his real ideals are.

there is a logical argument to believe in God

There are 2 possiibilities: God exists or God does not exist

so:

1) if God exists and you bellieve ... you win
2) if God exists and you do not bellieve ... you lose
3) if God does not exisit and you believe .. you do not win nor lose but you hopefully have lived your life by a goos set of values (we can only hope)
4) if God does not exisit and you do not believe .. you neither win nor lose

So the 'best' decision is to believe because you have nothing to lose but every thing to win

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2006, 07:27:06 PM »
The best decision is looking for the truth.

Thats the only way to win.

Imagine people believe that yuh go dead and get wings and fly around in heaven???

But dey doh believe in evolution....steups.

Question:  "if they take ah single cell from yuh body...use de DNA and clone you...does dat new you have a soul?

Ah feel James Brown better equipped to answer this question LOL.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2006, 07:30:09 PM »

Imagine people believe that yuh go dead and get wings and fly around in heaven???

Question:  "if they take ah single cell from yuh body...use de DNA and clone you...does dat new you have a soul?

I saw a documentary on dat once ...it was called .... lemme tink ..

Austin powers: the spy who shagged me"

truetrini

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2006, 07:33:07 PM »

so yuh feel dat cloning is science fiction..or maybe a flight of fantasy?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 07:33:27 PM »

but seriuously ... looking for truth and believing are not mutually exclusive ..

to quote Organic: Belief is for mortals proof is for GOD.  

But nothing wrong with looking for some proof sometimes to strentght your belief

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 07:37:35 PM »

so yuh feel dat cloning is science fiction..or maybe a flight of fantasy?

no ..cloning has been proven (wat was de name a dat sheep in the UK).

but if a human was cloned will it have a soul.  I think the concept of a soul is manmade.

When we die, we cannot comprehend what the next stage is.  I do not believe in sould per se.

Here is a simple example ... when we were in our mother's womb, that was all that we knew.  When we were born, that life in the womb cease to exist and we began a new stage.  We donot/cannot remember what the womb was.

So I believe that when we die, we move on and do not necsssarily remember the past.

Heaven as described in popular media does not exist as described.  Heanven is becoming one with God

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 07:40:02 PM by pecan 3.141 »

1]; } ?>