April 24, 2024, 07:07:27 PM

Author Topic: What is de TT Proleague really doing to promote our players??  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
What is de TT Proleague really doing to promote our players??
« on: November 04, 2006, 04:41:11 PM »
Another Saturday in the EPL has gone by and I could not help but take notice of the number of American players that were observed today. So I took some time to try and identify just how many there are.  It is amazing to think that there are 12 American players in English Premier League.  Most of the present players in the EPL came through the MLS or US system.  I have to take my hat off to the MLS, it might be screwing our players from the Caribbean but it is really doing a great job for the American players.  There should be no doubts that the MLS is meant to develop and promote the American players first and foremost.  MLS is really doing the job of promoting the US Players. 

When I review Tallman's "Trinis in Action Today," any so called Trini playing the EPL today cannot claim to have kicked a lime back home.  Yet still we have men on this forum still focusing on Ja and really losing sight that we are moving further and further away from the top of Concacaf.  Meeting and beating Ja is all well and good but is no major accomplishment, and Ja should view us in the same way, since both teams qualified for a World Cup out of Concacaf.  In 1989, no one could argue with the statement that we were on par with the US.  Mexico was always on top.  Now where are we in relation to the top two? 

Here are my questions (which have been asked over and over again by members on this forum): Is the local Professional league doing a poor job in promoting our players in foreign markets?  Or are our players not up to the standard of playing abroad (Wim might say yes to this one)?

Take a look below at US players in the EPL and this list does not include the lower leagues where all of our present National players including the Captain play on the weekend.

Brian McBride and Carlos Bocanegra are at Fulham FC. McBride left the Columbus Crew after the 2003 season, and Bocanegra left around the same time from the Chicago Fire.

Marcus Hahnemann and Bobby Convey at Reading FC.  Hahnemann left Colorado Rapids in 1999.  Bobby Convey left DC United in 2004.

Claudio Reyna and DaMarcus Beasley are at Manchester City.  Beasely made his way to Manchester City on loan from PSV Eindhoven but originally from Chicago Fire.
Tim Howard at Everton FC this season on a one-year loan from Mancheter united but originally from NY/NJ Metrostars.

Jonathan Spector at West Ham FC also transferred from Manchester United.  As a result of his ancestry, Spector was able to get a German passport, which allowed him to go to Europe straight out of USSF's Bradenton Academy.

Brad Friedel and Jemal Johnson are at Blackburn Rovers FC.  Friedel, the best US goalkeeper in my books, has been playing in England since moving to Liverpool from the Columbus Crew in 1997.  I think he is the best keeper in the EPL at this point of the season.  Though born in the United States, Jemal Johnson's family moved to Macclesfield when he was five years old, so he is not a true product of the US.  Nevertheless he will be wearing their colors in the future.

Cory Gibbs is at Charlton Athletic FC.  Gibbs left the Dallas Burn in 2004-05 season to Feyenord and then moved to Charlton Athletic this year.

Jay DeMerit is at Watford FC.  DeMerit was not drafted by the MLS but played for the Chicago Fire Reserve team in the USL Premier Development League.  He took advantage of his ancestry (Danish) to get to Europe.

Johann Smith is at Bolton FC.  Smith was spotted by Bolton scouts at Oakwood Soccer Club and offered a three year scholarship to Bolton Academy.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:08:52 PM by Lower St. John »
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

TrinInfinite

Re: What is de TT Proleague really doing to promote our players??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 05:02:27 PM »
great topic, i think the players need tuh look outside the epl and at other leagues, but i feel the pro league bosses should be promoting their players much more to the world than what is being done at present especially since we have more footballing talent than the us..

Offline Lower St. John

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 05:15:09 PM »
I agree that we have to look to other regions.  But I remember in the past we had players getting contracts in the Asia-Middle East, but that has also dired up. 

We also have to recognize the US Soccer Federation and MLS for giving young talent enough international exposure.  We are not doing anything like that although we have a youth tournament every other year in Trinidad.  Go figure.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 05:33:45 PM »
I would think that the pro league teams ,would be thinking about winning titles .me ein't know

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 08:43:35 PM »
If we could win that Concacaf club title thing or at least have a strong showing then we will raise heads. The US has the MLS and a whole heap of other Leagues to develop players in and they players actualy starting to perform. We now developing that player pool.

The US have we number right now and their whole starting 11 not in the EPL.  We need to develop our players younger and let them participate in international tourneys. While our youth teams playing PFL sides and other Caribbean side the US youth teams playing intenationally against consistently solid opposition.

The pro league working with what they have. Give them a  chance.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 07:54:45 AM »
and adding to the question...What is the Proleague doing to promote itself? Unless the League is promoted well....the players will not get recognize. Ah like the breakdown of the US players...where they started and where they end'up.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 10:10:37 AM »
Another Saturday in the EPL has gone by and I could not help but take notice of the number of American players that were observed today. So I took some time to try and identify just how many there are.  It is amazing to think that there are 12 American players in English Premier League.  Most of the present players in the EPL came through the MLS or US system.  I have to take my hat off to the MLS, it might be screwing our players from the Caribbean but it is really doing a great job for the American players.  There should be no doubts that the MLS is meant to develop and promote the American players first and foremost.  MLS is really doing the job of promoting the US Players. 

When I review Tallman's "Trinis in Action Today," any so called Trini playing the EPL today cannot claim to have kicked a lime back home.  Yet still we have men on this forum still focusing on Ja and really losing sight that we are moving further and further away from the top of Concacaf.  Meeting and beating Ja is all well and good but is no major accomplishment, and Ja should view us in the same way, since both teams qualified for a World Cup out of Concacaf.  In 1989, no one could argue with the statement that we were on par with the US.  Mexico was always on top.  Now where are we in relation to the top two? 

Here are my questions (which have been asked over and over again by members on this forum): Is the local Professional league doing a poor job in promoting our players in foreign markets?  Or are our players not up to the standard of playing abroad (Wim might say yes to this one)?

Take a look below at US players in the EPL and this list does not include the lower leagues where all of our present National players including the Captain play on the weekend.

Brian McBride and Carlos Bocanegra are at Fulham FC. McBride left the Columbus Crew after the 2003 season, and Bocanegra left around the same time from the Chicago Fire.

Marcus Hahnemann and Bobby Convey at Reading FC.  Hahnemann left Colorado Rapids in 1999.  Bobby Convey left DC United in 2004.

Claudio Reyna and DaMarcus Beasley are at Manchester City.  Beasely made his way to Manchester City on loan from PSV Eindhoven but originally from Chicago Fire.
Tim Howard at Everton FC this season on a one-year loan from Mancheter united but originally from NY/NJ Metrostars.

Jonathan Spector at West Ham FC also transferred from Manchester United.  As a result of his ancestry, Spector was able to get a German passport, which allowed him to go to Europe straight out of USSF's Bradenton Academy.

Brad Friedel and Jemal Johnson are at Blackburn Rovers FC.  Friedel, the best US goalkeeper in my books, has been playing in England since moving to Liverpool from the Columbus Crew in 1997.  I think he is the best keeper in the EPL at this point of the season.  Though born in the United States, Jemal Johnson's family moved to Macclesfield when he was five years old, so he is not a true product of the US.  Nevertheless he will be wearing their colors in the future.

Cory Gibbs is at Charlton Athletic FC.  Gibbs left the Dallas Burn in 2004-05 season to Feyenord and then moved to Charlton Athletic this year.

Jay DeMerit is at Watford FC.  DeMerit was not drafted by the MLS but played for the Chicago Fire Reserve team in the USL Premier Development League.  He took advantage of his ancestry (Danish) to get to Europe.

Johann Smith is at Bolton FC.  Smith was spotted by Bolton scouts at Oakwood Soccer Club and offered a three year scholarship to Bolton Academy.

You got it all wrong the MLS are not developing any players for these league as a matter of fact almost all those player left for free because when they had contacts with the MLS a team from the EPL would offer a good contract and the MLS WOULD SAY NO only if the player has one year left on his contract or the contract was up would they be allowed to live the MLS wants to keep all there good players and pay the small money    
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 12:41:57 PM »
ALL d Yankees who name yuh call could play ball.

Even if they shitty in the eyes of the avg Trini because they cyar hit a man a spanner they have other talents which managers look for.

Mcbride is one of the best tings in the air and a good header of the ball.

To answer your question...The Pro League doe have to do nuttin to promote no player to no foreign market. If a man good he will get a contract. Dais what agent, the net, media, scout are for.

They will be seen in a TT game and if they lucky and their team plays in the Concacaf club championship they will get scouted.

Glenn get his contract one time after rippin up against the Chicago fire.

Men get trial with Metrostars...I think it was Fitzpatrick get to train with them when they play down here.

Check something too...yuh see dem Yankee yuh call dey...they is spring chicken they young they marketable..all exepct Mcbride, Hehennam and Reya all the rest under 25.

It is a business yuh buy Young talent, mould it and then yuh reap the benefit when yuh mould dem or sell them.

All we player who have talent to make EPL too old....and managers doe buy ole fowl just so....unless yuh is a big player and rippin.

If yuh was a manager yuh looking at talent in the under 20 under 23 and under 17 teams.

What we have in that dept....a set of men who cyar beat Dom Rep and Lorse to St Vincent.....REALLY who in the EPL looking dey for talent.

We players not up to intl standard or big league standard......doe get vex when men call a spade a spade....work on and it and realise something.

Not everybody who could play ball makes it as a Pro baller, dais d reality. Same way not all bright people does get good jobs.

Its a combo of luck, chance, skil, good advice and most of all determination. Its just our players doe have the combination of all the above.

But alyuh ever ask yourselves from behind the computer....Do our players really want a pro contract abroad? Many of them just cool to drive a B-13 run hoes, lime and be the star of the neighbourhood.

Remember yuh cyar miss what yuh never had.

The only reason our players not in any big leagues is because they either not good enough or the ones that good enough doe want to be there.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 04:14:39 PM »
 GOOD TOPIC! touches you have     brought up some good points but i think you are being too hard on our players, that description does not describe the majority of them .there is such a thing as culture. that develops over years we do not have a culture of professional team sports; that is only now developing .things such as weight training must start with players at a young age so they know what it takes to develop them selves, it takes time to develop such a culture .similarly the pro league is in its early stages if it does the correct things players will develop and trinbago will be seen as a place for scouts to come for players. african leagues have not marketed their players yet their youths are in demand, wirh time and proper structures we will get there certain people however must be jettisoned and that may not happen.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 04:49:48 PM »
ALL d Yankees who name yuh call could play ball.

Even if they shitty in the eyes of the avg Trini because they cyar hit a man a spanner they have other talents which managers look for.

Mcbride is one of the best tings in the air and a good header of the ball.

To answer your question...The Pro League doe have to do nuttin to promote no player to no foreign market. If a man good he will get a contract. Dais what agent, the net, media, scout are for.

They will be seen in a TT game and if they lucky and their team plays in the Concacaf club championship they will get scouted.

Glenn get his contract one time after rippin up against the Chicago fire.

Men get trial with Metrostars...I think it was Fitzpatrick get to train with them when they play down here.

Check something too...yuh see dem Yankee yuh call dey...they is spring chicken they young they marketable..all exepct Mcbride, Hehennam and Reya all the rest under 25.

It is a business yuh buy Young talent, mould it and then yuh reap the benefit when yuh mould dem or sell them.

All we player who have talent to make EPL too old....and managers doe buy ole fowl just so....unless yuh is a big player and rippin.

If yuh was a manager yuh looking at talent in the under 20 under 23 and under 17 teams.

What we have in that dept....a set of men who cyar beat Dom Rep and Lorse to St Vincent.....REALLY who in the EPL looking dey for talent.

We players not up to intl standard or big league standard......doe get vex when men call a spade a spade....work on and it and realise something.

Not everybody who could play ball makes it as a Pro baller, dais d reality. Same way not all bright people does get good jobs.

Its a combo of luck, chance, skil, good advice and most of all determination. Its just our players doe have the combination of all the above.

But alyuh ever ask yourselves from behind the computer....Do our players really want a pro contract abroad? Many of them just cool to drive a B-13 run hoes, lime and be the star of the neighbourhood.

Remember yuh cyar miss what yuh never had.

The only reason our players not in any big leagues is because they either not good enough or the ones that good enough doe want to be there.

preach  bredda....preach....yuh lay dong the law dey......some people doh like to hear that kinda talk but that is the reality.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Lower St. John

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 06:32:35 AM »
  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Touches yuh doe mix matters bredo.  I am laughing at this quote but deep down inside I do believe that there is some truth to the statement.

True True but we do get the chances and we have the skill.  The advice is sketchy.  The one thing the players can be blamed for is the lack of determination.

You got it all wrong the MLS are not developing any players for these league as a matter of fact almost all those player left for free because when they had contacts with the MLS a team from the EPL would offer a good contract and the MLS WOULD SAY NO only if the player has one year left on his contract or the contract was up would they be allowed to live the MLS wants to keep all there good players and pay the small money   

Nah man Bally, you got it wrong.  I never said the MLS was developing the players.  I was more pointing to the fact that the MLS players are finding their way into the EPL and foreign leagues. 

The one fact that many folks are not aware of is, the MLS owns the players' contracts (those players that are not retired big name players from Europe).  As a result the MLS holds on to the better players from the Caribbean and Central America to keep the league alive but shop the US players all over the world.  The US players are then allowed to leave for smaller compensation (most times for free) than other players.  If yuh have doubts as to what I am saying ask Stern.  Hence the MLS is promoting their players and quite rightfully so.  The MLS was created to improve the game in the US and so far it is doing a GREAT job. 

In Trinbago who profits when a player gets a foreign Contract?  Why are some of our players (Silvio and Bleeder) so skeptical about signing with a local team.  Is it because the team is trying to maximise the profit when selling the player and some clubs get tired of playing money games with unproven players??

Blessings
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 07:35:16 AM by Lower St. John »

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 08:12:02 AM »
In the situation regarding Shalrie Joseph of the NE Revs, wouldn't it be more beneficial to allow him to go to Celtic at the end of the summer? Who is to say that he will get that chance again?
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 11:38:05 AM »
 israel can you up date me as to what happened with regard shalerie joseph and celtic

1]; } ?>