April 24, 2024, 10:34:11 PM

Author Topic: Maradona Thread  (Read 43471 times)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona..Maradona..Maradona
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 11:40:10 AM »
Ah have to say even as a Brazilian fan and a confirmed Argetina hater, this is the part of the game where ah give him win over Pele anyday. Too bad Argentina didn't have strikers like Pele to receive dem caviar Primadonna use to serve up :devil:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Green Beret

• Jr. Warrior
  • Army Of One
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 03:45:21 PM »
Omar....me aint bashing de man.  Him good.  I say de man got talent.  He magical.  BUT him still one footed bad bad.  Das why I dont rate him as others would. 

Like Omar said, his one foot was better than many others' 2 feet....

Question to ask yourself is- How did his "one footedness" hamper him? bcuz to me, it didn't really seem to.

From Lounging with Leonson Lewis:

WN: Rohan Pirali asks “Leo I played against you in the days of Santos vs Bionic Bunch. As a player you could only play with your left foot, you virtually never used your right. As a coach for kids today, how important is it for kids to use both feet?”
LEONSON: It’s important, but not totally important. The best coaches would tell you that one good foot is better than two mediocre feet. One foot that is extraordinary is better than two normal feet. But as a coach, you still want to encourage kids to use both feet, at least to be able to make a pass, or trap, but if you have a player with a left foot like Leroy Spann, something out of the ordinary, someone with a foot like a hand, why worry about another player with two mediocre feet? I hope I have answered his question and at the same time hit him a little bit. Leave me with my friggin one foot [laughs].

That Leonson Lewis fella is a genious. Think of all the so-called great 2-footed players who cannot even wash Diego's jock-strap. It just would have been UNFAIR, for him to have both feet. Can you imagine???
Find Out If You Have What It Takes To Earn The Green Beret.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 04:28:19 PM »
You know who I really admired for his passing was Valderama. Recently I watched the WC 94 qualification against Argentina. Talk about vision.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 04:48:54 PM »
You know who I really admired for his passing was Valderama. Recently I watched the WC 94 qualification against Argentina. Talk about vision.

....and how many left footed passes have you seen him make ? De man was good ....could screen and pass .....and still looks young. He is my ideal coach for T&T senior team ...think of soca and style with a flamboyant coach like Pibe ...opens a lot of doors for our players and will get us to realise football is not about two linesmen and air traffic control !

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »

....and how many left footed passes have you seen him make ? De man was good ....could screen and pass .....and still looks young. He is my ideal coach for T&T senior team ...think of soca and style with a flamboyant coach like Pibe ...opens a lot of doors for our players and will get us to realise football is not about two linesmen and air traffic control !

What people don't realize is that Diego could use his right foot, He screened with it, passed with it and he did shoot with it. But like many he simply had little use for it unless needed  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 05:42:12 PM »

Has Valderama coached anyone?  Any level of success?  If not, what makes you think he would be an "ideal coach" for T&T?  Because he used to play that way?  Wenger used to play football so in he playing days?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 05:03:41 PM »

Has Valderama coached anyone?  Any level of success?  If not, what makes you think he would be an "ideal coach" for T&T?  Because he used to play that way?  Wenger used to play football so in he playing days?

Let me list some of the reasons why I like him as a candidate...I wont comment on the fact that he has not coached anyone .....fellas like Klinsman, Becks, etc, would prove my point ..also I find it strange that you did not protest Carrington's appointment to the nationak team ...

1. His football  style ....if you have ever seen him play you would know that he was always in charge on the field and had very good positional awareness...a natural leader and coach on the field
2. His image ...he is immensely popular, especially in our hemisphere and would increase the profile of the team...we would get celebrity status .....similar to the effect that Gullit had on Chelsea.
3. He knows football and has played professionally in Latrin America and the USA....our most formidable opponent when WC qualifying time approaches
4. He is very aware of T&T's football and gave us a good chance of qualifying last time ...when we did !
5. We need a coach who can command the respect of our professionals and he does that ...
6. We would certainly attract more competitive teams for practice games to help in our build up if it was known that someone of his profile was at the helm..
Just some points that I have considered in making a pitch for Valderrama.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Diego Maradona Thread
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »
Maradona: I would coach Argentina
(Reuters) Friday 17 October 2008

Diego Maradona said on Friday he would like to coach Argentina following the surprise resignation of Alfio Basile the previous day.

"I would be really delighted, who wouldn't, to coach the national team," he said in a telephone interview when asked if he would like a chance. "I am completely willing and at the disposal of the Argentina team."

Maradona has appeared as an outsider in the race to replace Basile, with Miguel Angel Russo, Sergio Batista, Diego Simeone and Carlos Bianchi seen as the clear favourites.

The former captain appears more likely to be given an assistant or advisory role, especially if Batista, his team mate in the 1986 FIFA World Cup™-winning side, is given the job.

Jose Luis Brown, a defender in 1986 and coach of the under-17 side, may also be given a role in a Batista-led team.

"Batista and Brown have more experience than me," said Maradona, who had two brief stints as a coach in the early 1990s with provincial club Deportivo Mandiyu and then Racing Club.

Maradona said he was taken aback by Basile's resignation which followed a run of indifferent performances and results this year.

"I was surprised and I'm sorry about it. I think the situation could have been turned around," he said. "You reach a moment when you don't get the results and the confidence drops. This means the team loses it's strongest points, which are it's passing, playing one-twos and enjoying the game."

Basile quit one day after Argentina lost 1-0 to Chile in a South Africa 2010  qualifier, their only defeat so far this year and their first against their neighbours since 1973.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:16:38 AM by Flex »
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona: I would coach Argentina
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »
as a huge argentina supporter and maradona de best player ever (in my book),i eh tink he will make ah good coach.ah good motivator,yes.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2008, 04:48:32 PM »
as a huge argentina supporter and maradona de best player ever (in my book),i eh tink he will make ah good coach.ah good motivator,yes.

i not an Argentina supporter, but big side is big side and they suppose to be doing better than that. It would be interesting to see him coaching the side, but how stable is he?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »
He should be given the opportunity. I don't see why not? Please guys, don't say great players don't make good coaches. Give him the opportunity to at least fail.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2008, 11:30:05 PM »
but how stable is he?

Good point sammy....ah would say he more stable than d jackass Piccio on this site... ;D
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008, 07:28:47 AM »
Maradon is too subjective with his liking for players.  He would need a serious neutralizer around him, to preserve some objeective balance.  He's been more of an ambassado than in the mix of things, when it comes to the game.  He is not ready to take such a role, in my opinion.

Offline vapotrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2008, 11:38:38 AM »
Loved the guy on the field but no way in the world I want him to coach Argentina. For starters, his daughter is going out with Aguerro, for that reason alone I wouldn't put him in - conflict of interest.

I hope the youth coach gets the job, it's looking like he might. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 12:52:26 PM »
Loved the guy on the field but no way in the world I want him to coach Argentina. For starters, his daughter is going out with Aguerro, for that reason alone I wouldn't put him in - conflict of interest. I hope the youth coach gets the job, it's looking like he might. 

Tough sell. How do you feel about fathers coaching sons? This factor won't be the disqualifying factor.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »
Maradon is too subjective with his liking for players.  He would need a serious neutralizer around him, to preserve some objeective balance.  He's been more of an ambassado than in the mix of things, when it comes to the game.  He is not ready to take such a role, in my opinion.

Good talk, although we could debate what constitutes subjective. If he shows up at Viamonte with Batista, he'll probably still need a neutralizer.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2008, 01:00:43 PM »

Free cocaine is ah hell of a motivator for any team oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline vapotrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2008, 09:06:56 PM »
Loved the guy on the field but no way in the world I want him to coach Argentina. For starters, his daughter is going out with Aguerro, for that reason alone I wouldn't put him in - conflict of interest. I hope the youth coach gets the job, it's looking like he might. 

Tough sell. How do you feel about fathers coaching sons? This factor won't be the disqualifying factor.

Not to me it isn't. He has already been quoted as saying how Aguerro is better than Messi... that tells me everything I need to know about his views. Besides, who has he coached before? You're gonna let some guy with next to no coaching experience coach your national squad because of his past exploits on the field? I for one think that's crazy. I'd much rather someone with an established background running my side.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:10:32 PM by vapotrini »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2008, 02:45:44 PM »
It's Official
the commentators of Jason and Carlos game say so ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Dumplingdinho

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2008, 03:28:21 PM »
How is Mourinho going to deal with the fact that there is now a coach that is more famous than him  :-\

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »
How is Mourinho going to deal with the fact that there is now a coach that is more famous than him  :-\

Maradona wouldnt be able to outfox Mourinho even if Maradona had 11 Messi's lining up for him.
Umm ... on second thoughts, well at least he wouldn't win the mental battle.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »
so if maradona, with zero coaching experience could coach Argentina den who is Latas?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »
so if maradona, with zero coaching experience could coach Argentina den who is Latas?

breds..not that i feel Latas is necessarily the best candidate to coach T&T now...but Latas have more coaching experience than Diego. Plus, he's not a mentally unstable, coke snorting, ego maniac.

on the other hand, a blind orangutan could coach Argentina and they go still beat us...bad
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 08:14:45 PM by Filho »

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maradona appointed Argentina Coach
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »
Int Football - Maradona appointed Argentina coach
Eurosport - Tue, 28 Oct 21:36:00 2008

Argentinian legend Diego Maradona was named coach of the national side after he came out of a meeting with Argentinian Football Association president Julio Grondona.

More StoriesBasile resigns as Argentina coach
"Diego will be the next coach of the national team," said 1986 World Cup-winning coach Carlos Bilardo, who will be director of football for the national team.

The 48-year-old Maradonna - who almost singlehandedly led Argentina to the 1986 World Cup trophy - won crucial support last week in his bid to become the next Argentina coach when the man charged with finding Alfio Basile's successor threw his weight behind the former Boca Juniors, Napoli and Barcelona.

"I'd like Maradona to be the next coach," said Noray Nakis, the president of the Argentina Football Association selection commission.

Basile resigned a fortnight ago after a World Cup qualifying defeat to Chile which left them in third place after 10 matches, seven points adrift of leaders Paraguay.

Maradona faced competition for the job from Carlos Bianchi, the former coach of Boca Juniors, whom he led to four national league titles, San Lorenzo coach Miguel Angel Russo and Sergio Batista who took the Under-23 squad to Olympic gold in Beijing in August.

AFP

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona appointed Argentina Coach
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »
If it go keep him sober gr8
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »
If it go keep him sober gr8

I don't think the coach is subject to random drug tests.

However, this is an interesting situation. While Im not sure if Maradona has ever been arrested on drug charges - I believe some countries refuse visas to those with convictions/ arrests on their records. How does this bode for Maradona if he does indeed have a history of officially documented drug related offenses?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
Who said anyting bout drug testin? One hopes he will b coachin and not snortin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »
Good Luck!!! It is your turn now!!!!!!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 04:15:49 PM »
 :o