April 19, 2024, 08:34:30 AM

Author Topic: Maradona Thread  (Read 43273 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona: I would coach Argentina
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »
Right! Lets start the betting pool. How long he lasting.

I say August 2009.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
Right! Lets start the betting pool. How long he lasting.

I say August 2009.

Until Brasil beat them.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 10:39:43 PM »
Looks like Bilardo will be the neutralizer ... in the first instance at least. The sideline team is likely to be Pedro Troglio, José Luis Brown and maybe Sergio Batista.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Maradona get de wok.
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2008, 07:27:24 AM »
Maradona has been appointed coach of the Argentina National Team. .

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Maradona get de wok.
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2008, 07:31:14 AM »

Diego Maradona will be confirmed as the new Argentina coach next Tuesday.

The 1986 World Cup-winner says he is on the verge of accepting the job after a meeting with Julio Grondona, the president of Argentinian Football Association (AFA) late last night. Luis Segura, the secretary of the AFA, has since confirmed that Maradona will replace Alfio Basile, who stepped down on October 16 citing personal reasons.

"My first job will be watching the players," Maradona said. "I'll try to talk to them one by one and then work at the training camp in Ezeiza with them.

"I arrived from Georgia at 10am and three hours later I was having a shower to meet Julio. As I was going to the meeting, I thought it was some kind of hidden camera show.

"The direction Julio wants for the national team is the same I have. My job will be watching the players and picking up the ones who are in the best form."

The Argentina squad boasts some of the world's best players, but they are struggling to qualify for the 2010 World Cup captain, having won only one of their past seven qualifying matches to lie third in the South American Zone.

"I'm putting everything aside for this," Maradona added. "There is nothing that can make me look past the national team. Today my path is the national team, my task is to talk to the players and build a solid group. I am sure the guys and Argentinian football will pull through.

"I think we must make the players understand that our shirt is the most important thing, that they cannot exchange money for glory.

"Glory is much more than money. I know they know that, but we must make them remember that every day. We have enough quality to calm the nation. The road to the World Cup is not easy, but I believe in the Argentinian players.

"Everybody wants to play at the World Cup but we must show our traditions and our style on the field."

Meanwhile, Lionel Messi has given his full backing to Maradona's appointment, despite the former Argentina captain calling the Barcelona forward a selfish player earlier this month.

"Those are things that you say at the time," Messi said. "I know Diego appreciates me and I don't hold any grudges. There's no problem. He's a great and I admire him for what he gave to Argentine football."

"I'm optimistic. The generation that won the Olympics is coming up. In 2006, if we had been a bit more fortunate in the (quarter final) with Germany we would have won.

"Argentina has gone too long without winning the World Cup."

Times Online

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2008, 07:39:19 AM »
If true; this can't be good news.  >:(
I can hope for the best though...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:41:04 AM by Cantona007 »
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2008, 07:42:59 AM »
Maradona has been appointed coach of the Argentina National Team. .

Love him as a player not so much as a coach...backward move ....let's see how things unfold

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2008, 07:48:22 AM »
he will have the players respect (some would say reverence) but how can that translate to results on the field.  time will tell.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2008, 08:19:11 AM »
Wonder what he'll wear to work?

What he wore at Racing (1995)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »
Diego will be alright if he listens to the advice of Bilardo, the man who took Argentina to back to back Wc finals. Maradona just has to motivate the players and take his time and pick up some tactical nous from Bilardo, and slowly incorporate that with his own knowledge as a player and his own pesronality. But he may be better off not trying to do too much at once. Lean on the wiser, more experience heads in the earlies

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2008, 09:17:57 AM »
Diego will be alright if he listens to the advice of Bilardo, the man who took Argentina to back to back Wc finals. Maradona just has to motivate the players and take his time and pick up some tactical nous from Bilardo, and slowly incorporate that with his own knowledge as a player and his own pesronality. But he may be better off not trying to do too much at once. Lean on the wiser, more experience heads in the earlies

Interesting he should turn to Bilardo, who he had a falling out with (maybe Bilardo tried to warn him about the drug issues at the time). It will be interesting to see how he approaches the games as Bilardo has been out of football (so to speak) for a while. Compound that with Diego's documented inability to listen and Bilardo's love of defensive football (first).
He has surrounded himself with plenty of experience, all WC winners. After all the old talk, it would be interesting to see how this unfolds. I for one can't wait till they play again
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2008, 09:37:13 AM »
This provides us with extra motivation to avoid the playoff spots for the World Cup 2010...cause this appointment could very well end up with Argentina coming 5th in Conmebol!!

So Maradona at Argentina, Latas at Trinidad...who say Zizou to replace Domenech next? And isn't Stoichkov coaching Bulgaria too?

Just turn to your most legendary player and hope for the best seems to be the way to go for national teams now...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maradona is a Coach Now?!
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2008, 01:11:39 PM »
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=936809

Maradona New Coach Of Argentina
Football legend Diego Armando Maradona has been appointed as the new coach of the Argentina national team.
Maradona had been in a four-way tussle with Carlos Bianchi, Miguel Angel Russo and Sergio Batista to take over from Alfio Basile, who resigned a fortnight ago after a World Cup qualifying defeat to Chile.

Earlier this evening there was speculation that Maradona may win the race and now it has been confirmed that El Pibe d'Oro has indeed been appointed as the new national team coach of Argentina.

Although many expected one of the three other candidates to be his assistant, the responsibility will be given to Carlos Bilardo, who coached Argentina when Maradona guided them to the 1986 World Cup.
"We just had a meeting, we are happy about what was said for the Argentine national team," stated Maradona.

Although AFA president Julio Grondona has yet to announce it to the press, reports suggest that the official presentation will take place on Thursday the 30th of October, when Maradona turns 48 years old.

"I can't open the present yet, we have to wait because we have to continue to talk," the 1986 World Cup winner affirmed in declarations to radio La Red.

Maradona also stated that he will be the only person in charge to select who plays for the national team: "I will choose the team, I will be the only one to do so. Of course I will be listening to Carlos (Bilardo) in everything, because you can't avoid listening to a man who knows so much," he added.

"I think the project will be exactly how Julio (Grondona) would like it, in what I want, and in what Carlos wants," added Maradona.

When asked who his coaching team will consist of, he said: "I still have to choose my right hand. I have to talk to Checho (Batista) and with Tata Brown. Afterwards we will decide with Carlos."

The former coach of Deportivo Mandiyu and Racing Club also stated that he will take the players who play in the local Argentine competition into consideration: "We have been talking about this, the directors know this very well. When the national team needs it, the directors have to put on the Argentina shirt. With that base we will do well."

Maradona admitted that he has to put a "winning mentality" into the heads of all Argentine players, those who ply their trade in the domestic Argentine competition, as well as those in Europe.

Grondona called Maradona on Tuesday, after "El Diez" arrived from Tiflis, Georgia, and soon he notified him that he would replace Alfio Basile as the new coach of Argentina. Maradona will sign a contract that will expire after the end of the 2010 World Cup qualifiers, of course with an option for an extension, depending on his performance.

Gregory Sica

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona is a Coach Now?!
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »
I thought goal.com articles were banned from being posted on the forum?

lol.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona is a Coach Now?!
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2008, 01:22:05 PM »
I thought goal.com articles were banned from being posted on the forum?

lol.
I think Boss is spearheading that initiative ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »
Who say Latas coaching in TT?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona appointed Argentina Coach
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2008, 04:06:04 PM »
Int Football - Maradona appointed Argentina coach

My 'hate' has officially crystallized... lol

giggsy11

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
Cah wait for Pele tuh tro in he 2cents on this, yuh know he commin some mess!

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2008, 05:50:14 PM »

If you feel Rafa used to wilt under Mourinho mind games .... just wait til Pele get hold of Maradona before the Brasil v Argentina clash - Young and Restless South American style!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2008, 06:05:13 PM »
Omar pass d offerin plate yuh preech dey
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

giggsy11

« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2008, 06:15:10 PM »

If you feel Rafa used to wilt under Mourinho mind games .... just wait til Pele get hold of Maradona before the Brasil v Argentina clash - Young and Restless South American style!!

Jus imagine if Pele geh tuh coach Brasil, can yuh imagine wah dey will be like against each other on the sidelines? Dey could charge pay tuh view jus tuh watch dem.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »
Diego touch on ah serious point dere ... the fact that the majority of nationals are playing in Europe and not necessarily playing the south american brand. Maybe its because they leave so young !! Its about a mentality of winning rather than not losing if one looks for the sutle difference.
It is about doing the unthinkable ( in Europe ) that makes South american ball so exciting. The Euro cannot compare in entertainment with the copa libertadores Cup. So i am glad diego realises that the style must be put back to Argentinian ball ...look at the team list ...no way they should lose or draw with teams like chile and peru !! with or without Riquelme !
I see my all time famous defender Jos Luis Brown is in the team ...wayyyy..I remember dat man refusing to come off after he dislocated ( a shoulder) I think ?? ..he made a hole in his shirt and played on !!!!
Diego still looking good in the showboating tournament ...maybe now dem fellas have a coach who bigger dan dem and dey go pull up dey socks.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »
Diego touch on ah serious point dere ... the fact that the majority of nationals are playing in Europe and not necessarily playing the south american brand. Maybe its because they leave so young !! Its about a mentality of winning rather than not losing if one looks for the sutle difference.
It is about doing the unthinkable ( in Europe ) that makes South american ball so exciting. The Euro cannot compare in entertainment with the copa libertadores Cup. So i am glad diego realises that the style must be put back to Argentinian ball ...look at the team list ...no way they should lose or draw with teams like chile and peru !! with or without Riquelme !
I see my all time famous defender Jos Luis Brown is in the team ...wayyyy..I remember dat man refusing to come off after he dislocated ( a shoulder) I think ?? ..he made a hole in his shirt and played on !!!!
Diego still looking good in the showboating tournament ...maybe now dem fellas have a coach who bigger dan dem and dey go pull up dey socks.

yeah brown was my favourite argentine defender, then ruggieri.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2008, 11:57:51 PM »
...As much as I have a love-hate thing with Diego and a hate-respect-hate thing with his Argentinian compatriots, I would hate to see this turn out to be a photo copy of the Mexico-Hugo Sanchez debacle....But, I like what Giggsy and dem sayin'.  Dunga should let Pele be honourary head coach for the remainder of the WCQ's!  Dat would really be a "get out yuh popcorn" scene.   :D

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2008, 01:37:47 AM »
Well forum, the latest word is that neither Brown nor Batista will step up to join Diego. They have declined in favour of continuing with the junior national team. If yuh ask me, while I believe their sincerity in working with the youths, ah feel dem fellas might be operating on a diplomatic mission of self-preservation and career protection. With Brown (U-17s) and Batista (U-23s/20s and Olympic success) dem fellas on a trajectory that could reap success without having to engage with Diego and any potential fallout/damage to their friendship.

De scene is as follows: Bilardo wants to observe play from high in de stands ... so Diego is looking for a right hand man to sit with him on de sideline during the games (Basile had Panadero Diaz and some smokes as his "silent" partners ) ... At the moment, Troglio remains the go to guy for this role. Troglio is the man running Paraguayan outfit Cerro Porteño (the club Geremi used as a bridge to get to Europe) but his allegiance is likely more to Argentina for a couple reasons ... 1) it's Argentina and 2) he only jes geh de wuk after Ardiles geh fired so it might not be hard to walk away from it ... ah think unlike Brown and Batista, he could jump out on de limb on this one because his career path hasn't been as clear/stellar ... this is a step up .... who knows wha could happen ... someone in Argentina might actually want to hire him again.

Meanwhile the crosstalk going on heavy ... Tevez has advised Messi via an interview on Argentine radio ... that he needs to chill out a lil ... during the same session he buss de shot that Maradona needs to think more with his head and less with his heart ... great balls of fire! :rotfl:

I can't see this arrangement wukkin without some therapy sessions. If this doh wuk, Grondona go hadda deal with Bianchi one time.

Anyway, here's de squad Diego mooted last week before he was named as de man ...

Carrizo; Angelleri, Demichelis, Heinze and Papa; Mascherano, Gago and Di María; Messi, Agüero and Tevez.

Form your conclusions accordingly ... buh leh me help stir de fire ... no Zanetti ...

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:46:06 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2008, 02:38:54 AM »
This piece of maddness called the Maradonian Church Hand of God is taking things a little too far. This is ABSOLUTE MADDNESS.

Daniel Astilleta poses with his one month old daughter Bianca after she became a member of the Maradonian Church The hand of God, a religion dedicated to the Argentina's greatest ever soccer player Diego Maradona, displays books to sell during their Christmas celebration the night before Maradona's 48th birthday in Buenos Aires on October 29, 2008. A congregation of hundreds gathered at the Hand of God chapel to pay due respect at midnight on the occasion of the new Argentina's national soccer team coach birthday. AFP PHOTO / DANIEL GARCIA (Photo credit should read DANIEL GARCIA/AFP/Getty Images)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2008, 06:23:34 AM »
Maradona laughs off inexperience claims

Diego Maradona, expected to be named Argentina coach in the next few days, said he laughed off suggestions he was too inexperienced for the job.

One of the game’s greatest players, and also one of its most troubled and volatile, Maradona is expected to get the job despite having had only two short coaching stints in the mid-1990s totalling 23 games.

“People have spoken a lot about experience but I have had 20 years with the Argentina national side,” said Maradona, who captained his country to World Cup victory in 1986 but was kicked out of the finals in 1994 after failing a doping test.

“So it makes me laugh when they say I’m inexperienced,” added Maradona, who since retiring has fought off drug addiction, alcohol-related liver disease and obesity and at one stage four years ago spent 10 days in intensive care.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2008, 07:25:19 AM »

My favourite Argentinian defender is Daniel "Passa-Passa" Passarella!.....Argentina could do with his iron fist right now.  Brazil done qualify!  :devil:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2008, 08:46:03 AM »

My favourite Argentinian defender is Daniel "Passa-Passa" Passarella!.....Argentina could do with his iron fist right now.  Brazil done qualify!  :devil:

passarella was before my time, i have seen highlights of him and he was good from what i saw.  I doh get carried away with highlights because highlights always have the best stuff not when you do real $hit..men like to compare old players using highlights to current players and dat don't make sense.

giggsy11

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2008, 10:12:09 AM »

passarella was before my time, i have seen highlights of him and he was good from what i saw.  I doh get carried away with highlights because highlights always have the best stuff not when you do real $hit..men like to compare old players using highlights to current players and dat don't make sense.
\
I here yuh about why yuh doh geh carried away with highlights, so does that mean yuh only rate up players yuh see play for the full 90 on a regular basis?

1]; } ?>