March 28, 2024, 04:45:16 AM

Author Topic: Maradona Thread  (Read 42658 times)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
Re: Maradona: I would coach Argentina
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2008, 07:04:55 PM »

Somebody just commented that coaches are not subject to random drug testing.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2008, 07:07:38 PM »
Gimmics and follies start.
Don Diego, why are you wearing two watches???

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2008, 07:30:45 PM »
THIS IS WHAT MARADONA FREQUENTLY HAD TO PUT UP WITH

I doh think any other player in the history of the game had to endure that level of consistent fouling.

A little bit extreme no? That was a brutal tackle (look up the Butcher of Balboa) that put Diego out of the game for a long time. If he frequently had to put up with that, you woulda never heard of him. The second set of wildness in your video is actually Maradona involved in a brawl. I not sure what caused it, but its not a convincing piece of evidence of him being mistreated on the field of play.

No sense measuring who get the worse tackles. Jai brought up a good point how the older fellas didn't get as much protection. I guessing men like De Stefano, Puskas etc..used to get real mash up too. But to many it took a turn for the worst at the 1966 WC when Pele basically got attacked every time he touched the ball. Either the yellow card, or red card, or both were invented after WC 66 after FIFA realize the new tactics to stop Pele.

As for Diego...he was up there too. When they doh know how to stop yuh  :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVrWBoqAko

Gee, look! ... at 1:35 he actually uses his right foot

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2008, 05:17:55 PM »
Mascherano Accepts Captain's Armband
Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano has decided to accept the offer of his country's captaincy.
Argentina's new captain will be Javier Mascherano after all. The player had expressed some reservations about taking on the role when it was revealed last week that new coach national team coach Diego Maradona wanted him as the skipper.

Mascherano felt that he was not quite ready for the role just yet but seems to be singing a different tune as Maradona's persuasive charms seem to have worked their magic.

"I've convinced him," Maradona told Radio La Red. "I explained to him what I thought about him and told him what I thought he could give the team. He can transmit much of what he does in the centre of the pitch - we're not asking him to be a leader immediately."

Argentina's form in World Cup Qualifying has been patchy at best so far, and Maradona has moved quickly to change the mentality of the team. One of his first actions as coach was to decide to replace veteran Javier Zanetti as skipper. It will be interesting to see what other decisions are made in the wake of Maradona's visit to Europe last week to speak with senior players.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »

More reason for me to pull against Argentina. Just when in the last couple years I was starting to like them. My dislike started for them when they knocked out Brasil in Italia '90. It ended when Maradona buried that bullet from the top of the box in USA '94.

I liked Maradona as the player, not the person he became after football. Too much drama queen antics.
I just don't like Mascherano because of his cheap amd brutish tactics - and the Liverpool factor. After seeing the stunt he pulled off on Aliadiaire, he lost all my respect. 

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2008, 07:32:06 PM »

More reason for me to pull against Argentina. Just when in the last couple years I was starting to like them. My dislike started for them when they knocked out Brasil in Italia '90. It ended when Maradona buried that bullet from the top of the box in USA '94.

I liked Maradona as the player, not the person he became after football. Too much drama queen antics.
I just don't like Mascherano because of his cheap amd brutish tactics - and the Liverpool factor. After seeing the stunt he pulled off on Aliadiaire, he lost all my respect. 

Well I sorry to hear dat but Mascherano is de future while zanetti is de past . ... so mascherano had your respect before he pulled a cheap stunt ? ...I wonder how he got that respect ? Yuh tink is dat same ting Diego seein in him why he make him captain ?

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2008, 07:38:08 PM »
both played well enough in the WC, and then in his first season in the EPL battled well with West Ham. Didn't see much West Ham games, but the ones I saw he played fair and tough.

When he moved to Liverpool and I started seeing more of him play, I started to see a part that I didn't like - which was magnified even more by the Aliadiere incident.

I don't question Deigo's reason. There is no logic behind it.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »
both played well enough in the WC, and then in his first season in the EPL battled well with West Ham. Didn't see much West Ham games, but the ones I saw he played fair and tough.

When he moved to Liverpool and I started seeing more of him play, I started to see a part that I didn't like - which was magnified even more by the Aliadiere incident.

I don't question Deigo's reason. There is no logic behind it.

Are you aware that he has won two olympic medals and a world youth cup and has been a regular with Argentina's senior team since a teenager ? Have you read comments from the liverpool manager about his contribution to the team effort in the middle ? Did you consider why he was chosen by Argentina's olympic coach as one of the senior players to play in de olympics ? maybe theses are some of the things Diego considered ... just guessing or maybe stating de obvious.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2008, 07:56:49 PM »
Just a correction ..he did not win a world youth cup but the team finished first in  the south american qualifiers ..just to say a bit more check this out ...it also says why Diego chose him to be captain. tell me if you still think there was no logic in his choice ..

Javier Alejandro Mascherano (pronounced IPA: [ˌmaskeˈɾano]) (born 8 June 1984) is an Argentine football player who plays as a defensive midfielder. He plays for Liverpool and is captain of the Argentina national team.

Mascherano began his career in at River Plate. He earned his first senior honours in 2003–04, winning the Primera División Argentina. He also won an Olympic gold medal with Argentina in the Athens Games and finished runner up in the Copa América 2004. He moved to Brazilian side Corinthians in 2005, winning the Brazilian Série A in his first season. Mascherano moved to Europe, signing for Premier League side West Ham United. However, unusual contract terms with Media Sports Investments blighted his brief time at the club and at the beginning of 2007 he joined Liverpool on loan.

He was runner up in the UEFA Champions League in his first season on Merseyside and again finished runner up in the Copa América with Argentina. He officially signed for Liverpool in February 2008 for £18.6 million, parting ways with Media Sports Investments. He won a second Olympic gold medal with Argentina in the Beijing 2008 Games, the first male footballer to achieve this since 1928. He was appointed captain of the national team by new head coach Diego Maradona in November 2008.

Mascherano's two most used nicknames (in Argentina) are Masche and Jefecito (Little chief).[1][2] Former Argentine footballer Jorge Valdano regards him as one of the best holding midfielders in the world.[3]

In September 2001, Mascherano was part of the Argentina team that finished fourth in the 2001 FIFA U-17 World Championship. His impact at youth levels was such that he made his senior international debut before playing a single minute for River Plate's first team. That international debut came in a friendly against Uruguay on July 16 2003.[34]

Halfway through the 2003–04 Apertura (Opening) championship Mascherano was called up to play in the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship. Argentina again finished fourth with Mascherano the team's outstanding player.[35] Mascherano was however suspended for the third place match.

In January 2004, Mascherano joined up with Argentina's under-23 team for the South American Pre-Olímpico tournament in Chile. Argentina won the tournament.

At the end of the 2003–2004 season Mascherano was included in the squad for the 2004 Copa América. Argentina lost to Brazil on penalties in the final, but Mascherano impressed enough to be voted Argentina's player of the tournament by his team-mates.[35]

In August 2004, Mascherano was part of the gold medal-winning Argentine team at the 2004 Summer Olympics.

In June 2005, Mascherano joined up with the national team for the Confederations Cup in Germany. Argentina met Brazil in the final and lost 4–1.

In the 2006 World Cup, Mascherano played every minute of every game for Argentina.

He was sent off whilst playing for Argentina against the USA in a friendly at Giants Stadium for a foul challenge on Freddy Adu on 87 minutes.

In July 2007, Mascherano scored his first two goals for the senior Argentina's team during the Copa América 2007 and was widely selected as the best Argentine player in a squad full of stars.[36]

In 2008 Mascherano was selected to represent Argentina in the Olympic games in Beijing as one of their over-23 year old players. Mascherano was thrilled at the call up saying "It's important for any athlete to defend the gold medal. I might be the only person from my country ever to do it and I'll go down in history."[37] Argentina won the tournament making Mascherano the second Argentine sportsman ever (after polo player Juan Nelson) to win two Olympic gold medals.

Soon after being appointed head coach of Argentina, Diego Maradona announced he wants Mascherano to be the team's captain. "I want Mascherano to be my captain because I believe he is the Argentinian player who is closest to the idea I have about the Argentinian shirt - sweat for it, sacrifice for it, being a professional, being close to the team-mate," he said. "I will convince him. He will be my captain."[38]

On 10 November 2008, Mascherano accepted Diego Maradona's offer to become Argentina captain.[39]

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »
well hopefully the new responsibility as well as past experiences will give him a better grounding and he will resort to less cheap tactics from the ones he previously displayed - including the infamous rant at the ref when he got sent off last EPL season.

He is a good player - who happened to have two bust ups that I saw, and thus didn't like - so who knows if he'll turn it around into something positive. Only time will tell.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
well hopefully the new responsibility as well as past experiences will give him a better grounding and he will resort to less cheap tactics from the ones he previously displayed - including the infamous rant at the ref when he got sent off last EPL season.

He is a good player - who happened to have two bust ups that I saw, and thus didn't like - so who knows if he'll turn it around into something positive. Only time will tell.

Turn what around ...you eh read dem files up dey or what ? Nah ....Diego eh guessing . You might not like argentina because of some incident or incidents with Mascherano but do you like brazil ? ever see the 1974 team play ?
Look how sir Alex cool down rooney and did the same with cantona ..the test for diego is how to mold all these Young stars into a world cup winning team. Just about everyone on this team has won something already at club level at least .

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
Maradona mania grips Scotland
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »
Maradona mania grips Scotland

By David McDaid

Maradona's arrival sparked chaotic scenes at Glasgow Airport

There's blood on the Glasgow pavement and my good shoes are ruined.
You'd be forgiven for thinking this was a boozy Saturday night out - but this was just a Sunday morning's work.
No ordinary Sunday, it must be said, because at 1104 GMT Diego Armando Maradona arrived in Scotland - and Glasgow Airport went wild.

I'd been to the airport before to try to grab a word with football teams arriving.
I was almost run over by John Carew's luggage trolley just last month when Norway came for their World Cup qualifier.

But nothing had prepared me for this.
"Sharpen your elbows," I was told, "It's going to be chaos."

And indeed it was.

A special walkway was cordoned off, extra police were in attendance, as well as all the press officers the Scottish Football Association could muster.

More than 100 journalists, cameramen and fans - Scottish, English and Argentine - staked out the best place to yell a question, get a shot, or beg an autograph.

Every man, woman and child, watched the Arrivals board nervously.
I got a spot towards the front of the line, all the while thinking, "What if he doesn't stop here?" "Would I be better over there?" "have I pressed record on my microphone?" and "I can't mess this up!"

Is Maradona the greatest footballer of all time?

I ran over the Spanish in my head.

And then, the Arrivals hall doors opened... and Maradona appeared.

As my journalistic professionalism evaporated, I froze in amazement, got a grip, checked my microphone, thought of my questions, and checked my microphone again, all within the space of a single second.
With his well-documented problems with drugs and his weight firmly behind him, he looked remarkably healthy.
Then, as Maradona walked past, I seized my moment: "Senor Maradona, una pregunta en Castellano por favor!" ("Mr Maradona, a question in Spanish please!")

But he didn't stop. My chance was fast disappearing.
I'm not the pushiest, brashest hack in the press pack, but in desperation I yelled: "Como se siente estar aqui en Escocia," ("How does it feel to be in Scotland?")
Without breaking his stride, Maradona looked over his right shoulder: "Muy contento." ("Very happy.")

Arguably the greatest footballer the world has ever known. And he spoke to me. Even though it was only two words.

Maradona scored his first ever international goal at Hampden in 1979

For a split-second I thought I could hang up my mic, since any other sporting personality would surely pale into insignificance.

But with the adrenalin doing its job I wanted more.
With my cameraman in tow I ran ahead of the great man.

This wasn't too difficult as the once spritely midfielder, who danced round five England players on his way to scoring the goal voted by Fifa as the greatest goal in the history of the World Cup in 1986, is now hampered by a noticeable limp.

That, and the fact he was mobbed by the ravenous journalists.
With my face pressed into some photographer's back, I held my mic above the crowd.
I couldn't see Maradona as he edged towards the team bus, with the police ushering the media hoard backwards.
That's when my shoes were stomped out of shape, and someone must have caught a camera lens in the mouth.
More questions, more questions, I thought.

"How do you feel to be returning to where you scored your first goal for Argentina? Do you have a word for the Scottish public?"

Nothing. I tried again, with a bit more resignation.
"Show us the hand of God! Do you fear the threat of James McFadden?"
Other than assistant coach Terry Butcher, I wonder if he can name any member of the Scotland party for Wednesday night's friendly at Hampden Park.

It was worth a try, but the new Argentina coach wasn't feeling very chatty.
He signed a few autographs before climbing aboard his bus, and as he sat back in his seat he puffed his cheeks and I read his lips in Spanish: "What a commotion!"

He was visibly taken aback by the welcoming committee.
One man, Kevin Schreiner, managed to get his shirt signed by his idol.
His voice quivered with emotion: "I don't have words to explain. I have my whole family here. It's really incredible.

"To me and to all Argentines he is a God for us. Not just the Hand of God.
"Now as our coach hopefully, with his experience, we can get there starting on Wednesday."

It was only when the coach moved off, we realised there were some of the present day superstars on board too.
Gabriel Heinze and Fernando Gago have probably not felt so invisible for a long, long time.

As the crowd cleared and we counted our bruises, I got on the phone to a couple of friends: "Guess who I've been speaking to?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2008, 07:59:02 PM »
Maradona Takes First Training SessionDiego Maradona took charge of his first official training session as the coach of the Argentine national team in Glasgow on Monday afternoon, as his side prepare for Wednesday's highly anticipated friendly against Scotland...
On Monday afternoon Diego Armando Maradona formally commenced work as the coach of the Argentine national team in Glasgow, Scotland.
Argentina will face the Scots in a friendly match at Hampden Park on Wednesday.

At 6:20 pm Maradona entered the field of Celtic Park, as his squad waited for his arrival on the centre circle. Dressed in the official gear of the national team, a beanie and gloves, Diego stood in front of his players with physical trainer Fernando Signorini.

Before beginning the session Maradona and Signorini spoke to the players for five minutes, and once the conversation ended they began working.

The only four players who didn't listen to the chat were German Denis, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Lisandro Lopez and Luis 'Lucho' Gonzalez. They joined the group 15 minutes later.

Maradona is still waiting for the rest of his squad to arrive in Scotland, including home-based players Daniel Montenegro, Cristian Villagra and Emiliano Papa.

Yesterday Maradona affirmed that Lionel Messi will be a key member of his squad, even if he wasn't released for the friendly. He also said Juan Roman Riquelme will wear the number 10 shirt.Despite speculation from the world-wide press that attended the training session, Maradona did not give any indication of what his starting XI would look like, or even the formation which he will opt for against Scotland.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Lucho welcome back

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2008, 08:03:21 AM »
Lucho welcome back

Big player - understated, skillful and effective. Doh whinge, doh dive. One of a handful of Argentine ballers I really like.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »
So, question fuh an Argentine fly on de wall ... when ah man like Lucho show up and doh geh a sweat after flying in from far ... wha does happen ... tape it and post it here, so we could learn nah.

Apples and oranges? Okey doke. Ah figet is a big, bomb squad dey have.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »
So, question fuh an Argentine fly on de wall ... when ah man like Lucho show up and doh geh a sweat after flying in from far ... wha does happen ... tape it and post it here, so we could learn nah.

Apples and oranges? Okey doke. Ah figet is a big, bomb squad dey have.

You must have missed Diego's first object lesson to the team...it is an honour to wear your country's shirt .. if you are selected on the squad ..that too is an honour. You can only make yourself available by being there . There are 16 or so players on the squad but only 11 can take the field at any given time.... If you are not in the first 11 you stay on the bench and wish the team well ..you dont gripe bout how you come from far and eh get pick ...only hounds does gripe so ..big players does play ..get the point.
You know how much bench the great brian lara make before he debut ? the man was scoring centuries and still benching ..he went all around the caribbean in a 5 test series and eh play once, even though he was scoring centuries against the tourists in first class games.
We have some force ripe players who feel they have some devine right to start on the national team based on some third division achievements..... We still have things to learn !

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
Maradona tells English to let 'Hand of God' dropUpdated: November 18, 2008, 2:28 PM EST 82  GLASGOW, Scotland (AP) - Diego Maradona thinks it's time the English stopped complaining about the handball goal he scored against their team at the 1986 World Cup. After all, it's not as though England hasn't benefited from controversial decisions by a referee.

Maradona has been in Scotland preparing for his debut as Argentina coach but many British journalists are just as interested in his contribution to a 2-1 win over England 22 years ago.

The 'Hand of God' at work in the Azteca Stadium at the 1986 World Cup. (Bongarts / Getty Images)

Maradona famously punched the ball into the net for the opening goal of that quarterfinal victory - instantly becoming a hate figure in England and burnishing his image as a hero back home - but he said Tuesday that was no worse than England being awarded a dubious goal during its 1966 World Cup final win.

"England won a World Cup with a goal that was plain to see to everyone that it did not cross the line," Maradona said. "So I don't think it is fair that people should judge me when stuff like that goes on."

England beat Germany 4-2 in extra time in the '66 final, but was only awarded its crucial third goal upon the intervention of a linesman. German players insisted that Geoff Hurst's shot, which bounced down off the bar, never crossed the line and replays more than 40 years later are still inconclusive.

"He missed by that much," Maradona said to laughter, holding his hands about a meter (yard) apart. "You didn't have action replays in those days."

But not everyone is likely to appreciate the humor in Maradona's remarks.

Scotland assistant manager Terry Butcher was part of the England defense breached by Maradona at the 1986 World Cup and has already said he will not offer his opponent the traditional post-match handshake on Wednesday.

Maradona also beat Butcher twice in a weaving run before scoring Argentina's second goal in that win, but the defender was irked by what he saw as deliberate cheating and an initial insistence that nothing untoward had happened.

Not that Maradona is concerned.

"I'm not going to seek him out," Maradona said through a translator. "I don't know why Butcher has taken this attitude. I don't quite understand. I will let Butcher get on with his life and I'll get on with mine.

"I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If he doesn't shake my hand, I'll still be alive tomorrow."

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »
20+ years to the day and Terry Butcher still toting dem feelings.. so much so that he bawl he will not shake the man hand..

Butcher need to let go.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »
20+ years to the day and Terry Butcher still toting dem feelings.. so much so that he bawl he will not shake the man hand..

Butcher need to let go.
that is pure proof how important ah WC trophy is.imagine if it was de final.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2008, 08:44:30 AM »
Also 'proof' that Maradona is going to stir the pot ... this is a moment when diplomacy should have been applied ... with Diego it's 'contents not as advertised'.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2008, 01:48:17 PM »
Butcher damn right, let Maradona haul he c&%T....comparing he thief goal to that Hurst goal, steups.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2008, 02:12:12 PM »
Butcher damn right, let Maradona haul he c&%T....comparing he thief goal to that Hurst goal, steups.
u does real hold ah grouse boy.doh forget argentina did win eh. ;D

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2008, 05:59:07 PM »
Maradona handed winning start(AFP) Wednesday 19 November 2008
Diego Maradona's first match as head coach of Argentina ended with a 1-0 friendly win over Scotland at Hampden Park on Wednesday.
Maradona, who as one of football's greatest players inspired Argentina to victory at the 1986 FIFA World Cup™ had demanded a fighting performance from the South Americans before this game. But Maxi Rodriguez's eighth minute goal was all that separated the sides at full-time after Argentina, who made a lively start, faded after the interval.

Scotland recorded a famous friendly win over then world champions Argentina at Hampden in 1990, but they never looked like they were going to repeat the feat despite a better second-half performance.

Maradona, revered in Scotland for his two goals, including the infamous 'Hand of God' effort that helped eliminate England in the quarter-finals of Mexico 1986, had walked out to a hero's reception.  The diminutive legend, back at the ground where he scored his first international goal as a teenager in 1979, was greeted by banners proclaiming 'Diego Armando Maradona, amigo, hero' and others announcing converts to the 'Church of Maradona.'

The Argentine players looked out to impress their new boss from the start and only 90 seconds had passed before their first chance with Martin Demichelis rising highest to a Rodriguez corner but his header went high over the bar. Newly-appointed captain Javier Mascherano, who plays in England for Liverpool, was next to try his luck and goalkeeper Allan McGregor did well to palm away his fierce volley.

Argentina took the lead through Rodriguez after an excellent passing move in the eighth minute.  Manchester United's Carlos Tevez cut in from the right and neatly found Jonas Gutierrez, who provided the pass for the Athletico Madrid striker to slickly slip the ball under McGregor.

Maradona, who barely celebrated the goal, made his first appearance pitch-side in the 18th minute to shout instructions to his players. And it seemed to work as a minute later Tevez played a perfect pass to Ezequiel Lavezzi who outpaced Alan Hutton to drive a powerful shot which was saved by the feet of McGregor.

Scotland's first chance came in the 22nd minute when a Kris Commons cross from the left found James McFadden in the box but his shot on the turn was deflected out for a corner. Tevez then had a good chance when Inter Milan's Javier Zanetti cut the ball across from the right wing but he blasted over. Bayern Munich defender Demichelis was robbed of the ball in his own box by McFadden in the 42nd minute but the Scot's weak effort was easily saved by keeper Juan Pablo Carrizo. The half ended on a nasty note when Celtic's Gary Caldwell was booked for a tackle from behind on Tevez, which incensed Maradona.

Scotland brought on Lee Miller for Chris Iwelumo at the break and the big striker was soon knocking down a Commons free-kick which Carrizo almost spilled at the feet of the advancing McFadden in the 55th minute. In the 70th minute Miller found some space at the edge of the box but his shot was deflected out. Fellow sub Shaun Maloney found Miller from the resulting corner but the striker's header was well wide of the post.

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
Diego chalk up first win

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »
Englishman Arrested For Trying To Murder Maradona
According to reports from the Argentine press, an Englishman was arrested for attempting to decapitate Diego Maradona with a machete when El Pibe d'Oro made his debut as the coach of Argentina last Wednesday...
An Englishman was arrested on the day when Diego Armando Maradona made his official debut as the coach of Argentina against Scotland, after planning to decapitate the Argentine football legend.

The aggressor was identified as Ian Wellworth, a 43-year-old, who was detained when found in the possession of a machete outside Hampden Park Stadium.

It has been claimed that he was hoping to enact revenge on Maradona for his controversial "Hand of God" goal against England back in the 1986 World Cup.

Wellworth, who resides in Middlesbrough, made a bet on the game, and had borrowed money, but lost everything because of the result, including his wife, who left him.

The amount of money in question was €600, but if England had won the World Cup he would have earned five times the amount.

"I bet £500 that England would win the World Cup in Mexico, and I would have claimed five times the amount if successful," declared Wellworth.

"I borrowed the money from a loan shark, and in the end I had to pay back £125,000 (€148,000)."

The aggressor added that he wanted to cut off Maradona's "little head and to make him pay". He also called the 48-year-old an "Argentine cheat."

According to reports, the detained person is currently unemployed and suffers from psychiatric problems.

Wellworth's detention was only made public almost one week after the incident took place. He faces up to five years in jail

It must be noted that there have been no reports on these events in the British press yet.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Maradona states terms for staying on as Argentina coach
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »
Maradona states terms for staying on as Argentina coach

SOURCE:

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez welcomes Argentina's soccer coach Diego Maradona at Miraflores Palace in Caracas July 22, 2010

BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA—Diego Maradona will stay on as coach of Argentina if he's able to keep his entire staff.

Maradona is due to talk with Argentine Football Association president Julio Grondona and laid out his conditions ahead of the meeting.

"If they touch the kit man, if they touch the massage therapist, I'm out," Maradona said Monday. "I want to continue with the coaching staff, plus some others, and that nobody touches any of them.

"I'll have a chat with Grondona this week, and this week it will be resolved whether I continue or not. It depends on what Grondona says and whether he accepts what I ask for. I'm eager because I've spoken with the players, with all the guys, and I have their support."

It is not known if Maradona will seek to renew his contract through to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The soccer legend, who captained Argentina to the 1986 World Cup title, was speaking to America TV on Monday upon arrival from Caracas, where he visited Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Asked if he had analyzed the video of Argentina's 4-0 loss to Germany in the World Cup quarter-finals, Maradona said: "I haven't seen it and I won't see it."

Maradona said he had spoken by phone with Grondona since that defeat, which left the nation so dismayed and disappointed that no official ceremonies were held to welcome the team back.

Argentina President Cristina Fernandez has publicly supported Maradona, and a legislator has proposed building a monument to honour him. But many Argentines want him out, blaming his lack of coaching experience for failing to make the most of a team that included many of the world's best players, including Barcelona star Lionel Messi.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona states terms for staying on as Argentina coach
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2010, 01:26:39 PM »
Well, if ever there was an opportunity to say adiós ...

Grondona: "Diego, pero bueno ... a mi no me importa quien lleva el equipaje, pero no me gusta el maricón terapeuta y quedo muy incómodo con su rendimiento terapéutico en Sud Africa" ... "Shit, after your trip to that fancy spa in Italy you should know that maldito massage therapist is boo!"  ... Me eh want him NO where near de squad ... We need one like de one Brazil have years now ... no me jodas Diego!"

Maradona: "Viejo pendejo, me voy ... voy a renunciar el proyecto ... all for one and one for all. I spoke to Comrade Chavez and he show meh dat ..."

Grondona: (smiling to himself :), but not wanting to seem too eager, interrupts the legend) "Discúlpeme Diego, por favor, Diego ... piense en ti mismo y la nación" ... please reconsider your position!"

Maradona: "Nah, nah ... I good! ... better to leave now with my pride and prestige at the highest point in many years nah ... plus ah hear the players' opinions should be discounted because dey feel Kun woulda sell dem out if they spoke freely. Yuh dun know he would do anything fuh more playing time ... De mi corazón Grondie, thx for de opportunity ... buh listen dis: Somos amigos. Escúcheme bien viejito, ah feel you should ride out wid me and retire same time ... It'll make a statement to the public ...

Trust meh! Bialo could make a nice statement, dahis if he could geh a free minute from that guy Fuentes from Trinidad y Tobago who always texting him asking him how to spin dis and dat every damn minute. Soldier, ah ketch hell in South Africa answering all dem damn questions by mehself."

Grondona: "Con respeto Diego ... Retire? Noooo yet! Yuh gehhin in me and Havelange affairs ... Sepp, Yack, me and João still have matters arising. Plus ah have a standing bet with Teixeira and meh son. Never mind  :-X ... LOOK is me who make yuh. If you go I hadda go too ... ah eh ready yet, hold strain nah! Wha yuh want? Yuh could hold training in Cuba when yuh feel ... take dem men Varadero and chill. Ah go pay for it" :idea: Name it yuh have it."

Maradona: Aight ... new terms then ... I want Riquelme deported. Leh Bialo come up with some ting ting with La Presidenta de Kirschner saying he really from Paraguay nah ... nah, not Paraguay... last qualifying rongs dey real gih we hell. Me eh care, just make it so nah.

También, ah want some friendlies to make we look DANGEROUS nah. Call Yack to arrange nah. While we in Cuba we could play Belice, Yack squad, Antigua, Puerto Rico and Puerto Rico Islanders (bueno, to link up wid de compadres :chilling:) ..."

Quiero muchas cosas. Ah want Pupi Zanetti back too, pero Cambiasso could besa mi culo."
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:31:41 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2010, 01:33:25 PM »

Maradona: Aight ... new terms then ... I want Riquelme deported. Leh Bialo come up with some ting ting with La Presidenta Kirschner saying he really from Paraguay nah ... nah, not Paraguay... last qualifying rongs dey real gih we hell. Me eh care, just make it so nah.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »
Maradona out as Argentina coach

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/Maradona-out-as-Argentina-coach-after-conflict-with-FA

Diego Maradona is out as Argentina's soccer coach, his stay ending after nearly two years on the job and a humiliating exit in the World Cup quarterfinals.

The Argentine Football Association said Tuesday it would not renew his contract. The federation had offered Maradona a four-year contract through the 2014 World Cup, but Maradona said he would do so only if his entire staff remained.

That was unacceptable to Argentine Football Association president Julio Grondona. He had asked for several assistants to be replaced. One of them was Maradona's close friend Alejandro Mancuso. The federation said its executive committee unanimously decided to not keep Mardona.

Possible successors include two club coaches in Argentina: Alejandro Sabella of Estudiantes and Miguel Russo of Racing. The federation, however, would likely need to hire an interim coach for the Aug. 11 exhibition game against Ireland in Dublin.

The decision comes 21 months after Maradona began his erratic coaching term and a little more than three weeks after Argentina was eliminated in the World Cup in South Africa with a 4-0 loss to Germany.

The 49-year-old Maradona became Argentina's coach in November 2008, replacing Alfio Basile and taking over a team he led to the 1986 World Cup title. His results were mixed. He had little coaching experience, and his team absorbed two of the worst losses in the country's history: a 6-1 rout at Bolivia in World Cup qualifying and the recent World Cup defeat to Germany.

Argentina played with attacking flair in South Africa, with Lionel Messi setting up scoring strikes by Gonzalo Higuain and Carlos Tevez. Maradona, dressed on the sideline in a gray suit, was an enthusiastic cheerleader, but that could not compensate for his team's deficiencies. The loss to Germany exposed Argentina's frailties on defense and lack of midfield speed.

Messi, widely regarded as the game's best player, left with World Cup without scoring a goal. Maradona never explained why Messi - he was left to roam the field on his own - wasn't scoring.

"Nobody ever told me where to play. So I shouldn't have to tell Messi where to play, either," Maradona said.

Maradona is a fabled figure in Argentina who has fought off cocaine and alcohol addiction. He grew up in a Buenos Aires slum, and his escape from poverty has endeared him to many. But he has worn out his welcome in other quarters.

Maradona ruffled the government of President Cristina Fernandez, who twice invited the coach to meet with her. But cabinet chief Anibal Fernandez said Maradona failed to respond or answer the phone, forcing the president's secretaries to leave messages.

Fernandez had been openly supportive of keeping Maradona as coach, and one legislator has proposed building a monument to honor him.

Two weeks ago, the federation offered Maradona the chance to extend his contract. But Maradona put off meeting with Grondona to travel to Venezuela at the invitation of a friend - President Hugo Chavez.

Maradona's relationship with key individuals in Argentine soccer was also tense. He barred federation leaders and businessmen with commercial ties to the organization from practices in South Africa while allowing reporters to enter.

Still, Maradona had many supporters.

"I want Maradona to stay," Interior Minister Florencio Randazzo said Tuesday in an interview on radio La Red. "We will support his decision. If he leaves we will miss him."

Added team trainer Fernando Signorini: "I have no doubt they didn't want him. Maradona is like a stone in the shoe of power."

1]; } ?>