March 28, 2024, 01:39:10 PM

Author Topic: Maradona Thread  (Read 42670 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona Thread
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:09 PM »
Maradona's father, "Don Diego," dead at 87
EFE

Diego Armando Maradona's father, the Argentine soccer icon's greatest admirer and biggest supporter in difficult times, died Thursday after a long convalescence due to respiratory and cardiovascular ailments. He was 87.

"Don" Diego Maradona, also known to his friends as "Don Chitoro," had been in an induced coma and on a respirator at Buenos Aires' Los Arcos hospital since the beginning of June because of his health problems.

He had been hospitalized at the same facility for 10 days in May due to a urinary tract infection and also was treated for pneumonia there last October.

Born in the northern province of Corrientes in 1927, Don Diego drove a ferry in his youth and later worked at a chemicals factory; he was the father of nine children, the oldest of whom, Diego Armando, was born on Oct. 30, 1960.

Don Diego's health deteriorated after the death of his wife, Dalma Salvadora Franco, better known as "Doña Tota," in November 2011.

In July 2014, he was uninjured in a fire at his home in Buenos Aires that was caused by a short circuit.

Don Diego's death is a major loss for Maradona, who always thanked his parents in public for their sacrifices in helping him achieve his dreams.

"If I hadn't had a family that made a huge effort to pay for the bus and the train, I wouldn't have had the career that I did," Maradona, who led Argentina to victory in the 1986 World Cup, said on one occasion.

"My father went to work at 4:00 in the morning every day. I trained Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I remember that the buses were full. He would hold on to the handrail, lean against me and sleep," Maradona added.

After returning hurriedly to Argentina a few weeks ago to accompany his father, Maradona, who is planning a bid to succeed Sepp Blatter as president of FIFA, asked "all Argentines to pray for my old man."

"I have a lot of trust in God. I have a lot of trust in (Pope) Francis, and I know that with the help of God and Francis my old man can keep going," Maradona said after his first visit to the hospital.

Maradona's father with Messi

"Había meses que tenía que ir a pedir plata para poder pagarme el colectivo para que yo pudiera entrenarme. La vida del futbolista no es fácil, lo único que cuenta es la familia."

"There were months on end that I had to ask for bus fare so that I could get to practice. The life of a footballer isn't easy; the only thing that counts is family".

--- Maradona recalling his parents.

RIP Don Diego, father of Diego Armando Maradona. Without him, there would have been no Diego Armando.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:47:01 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2015, 07:19:45 PM »
RIP, Don Diego.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2019, 05:08:30 PM »
The Five Years at Argentinos Juniors that propelled Diego Maradona to Greatness
By Aidan Williams (thesefootballtimes.co)

Argentinos Juniors have long been renowned in Argentina as the cradle of the stars, a place where several greats have been nurtured and gone on to legend. Some of Argentina’s finest have come through the academy of Los Bichos Colorados, inclusive of Juan Román Riquelme, Claudio Borghi, Sergio Batista, Fernando Redondo and Esteban Cambiasso.

But there is another name that sits above all of those in the pantheon of Argentine greatness, which is also the name that adorns the stadium in La Paternal, not far from the centre of Buenos Aires which Argentinos call home. “Argentinos Juniors is my home. Every time I hear the name of the stadium, I get shivers down my spine,” said the player in question. Their stadium is named Estadio Diego Armando Maradona, with a plaque at the main entrance reading: “The best player of all time made his career debut in this stadium on October 20, 1976.”

Diego Maradona’s time with Argentinos Juniors began when he was eight. One of his childhood friends, Goyo Carrizo, from the Siete Conchitas (Seven Little Pitches) – a barren, hard ground when the young boys of Villa Fiorita played – had gone to train with Argentinos. When the coach, Francis Cornejo, was looking for new blood to come for a trial, Carrizo, one of the best players in Cornejo’s young team, spoke up. “Sir, I’ve got a friend who’s better than me,” he said.  “Can I bring him next week?” When he got a positive response, Goyo asked Diego, who was keen, naturally.

A few days and numerous bus rides later, Maradona’s talents shone through at the Las Malvinas training ground of Argentinos Juniors. “They say people witness at least one miracle in their lives, but most do not even realise. I certainly did,” Cornejo wrote in his book, Cebollita Maradona. “My miracle occurred on that rainy Saturday in 1969, when an eight-year-old kid, an age I could not believe, did things with the ball that I’d never seen in my life.”

In spite of his talent, the young Diego’s short stature made the coaches suspect he was younger than eight, fearing he was too young to be included in their youth system. “They gave me a trial, but they thought I was lying about my age and made me bring my papers the next day,” Maradona remembered. Their fears were unfounded, of course, and with a high level of trust developing between the coaches and Maradona’s father, Diego stayed with Argentinos when other clubs would certainly have been more convenient.

As he developed through the ranks, he first became known to the fans of the club when, as a teenager, he was a ball boy in a top-tier match. Maradona was given the ball at half-time and told to show off his skills in the centre circle. He began bouncing it from instep to thigh to head to shoulder and back again, with the crowd enjoying the show from their young prospect.

On another occasion, when doing his thing at half-time in a clash with Boca Juniors, the crowd started clapping along and shouting for him to stay on the pitch even when the teams had come out for the second half. Such was the impact of his impromptu demonstrations that, even at such a tender age, this was clearly a talent destined to make a mark on the game. As his reputation grew, he had to perform his tricks with both the ball and an orange on national television.

Maradona’s rise to prominence with Argentinos Juniors happened remarkably fast. Within the space of a few years he rose from the lowest youth ranks to the senior team. In 1974, aged 14, Maradona’s youth side won their championship. He played a couple of matches at the next level before being moved up to a higher age group. A few months later he was moved up again; a handful more games and he was moved once more, this time to the first team.

On 20 October 1976, still only 15-years-old, the young, diminutive Diego Maradona made his debut for Argentinos Juniors’ first-team against Tallares de Córdoba. During training the week before, the manager, Juan Carlos Montes, had told Maradona he’d be on the bench for this game. But not only that, Montes told young Diego to be well prepared as he’d be coming on. 

Early in the second half, with Argentinos 1-0 down, his moment had arrived. Maradona described the moment in his autobiography, El Diego: “Montes fixed me with a stare, as if he was asking me, ‘Do you dare?’ I held his stare, and that was my answer.” Maradona trotted on to the field in the iconic red shirt with white sash, wearing the number 16.  Montes’ final words to his young protégé as he was about to embark on the first rung of the ladder to footballing greatness were: “Come on Diego, play like you know how … and if you can, nutmeg someone.”

Maradona did as he was told, dummying and nutmegging his marker Juan Domingo Cabrera to receive an “ole” from the crowd, hailing the arrival of a special talent. He was still a young teenager, just 15, promoted early, playing in a man’s game. But he was a young player with the skills and, importantly, the wherewithal and savvy to avoid the brutality aimed at him on the pitch. “That day I felt I had held the sky on my hands,” recalled Maradona poetically.

Argentinos Juniors lost that first match of his, but as Diego himself described, “I had started a long and beautiful history with Argentinos Juniors, an unforgettable history.” It was the start of an astonishing career that would touch the sky, but the global glory, fame and infamy were still to come.

Before all of that, he spent five years at Argentinos Juniors, scoring 115 goals in 167 appearances, almost all as a teenager following his rapid ascent from the barrio to the big time. In his autobiography, he describes the rise as “too fast”, and it seems easy to suggest that some of his future troubles stem from how quickly he was thrust into the limelight. 

The spotlight shining on him from that very first appearance was all because of his age, his astonishing skills, and how well he played. He was loved not just for his talents, but because he epitomised the Argentine myth of the pibe – the street kid with the skills to “make his way through life with a combination of charm and cunning, encouraged almost, never to mature into adulthood,” as described by Jonathan Wilson in Angels With Dirty Faces.

A more apt description of Maradona you would struggle to find, and even in his early career he typified this ideal. That first season saw him play 11 times, scoring twice against San Lorenzo just two weeks after his 16th birthday. A debut with the national team followed in early 1977, with this significant step still coming having only played those initial 11 games for Argentinos Juniors.

As Maradona’s career took off, the huge disappointment at being cut from the 1978 World Cup squad at the last moment scarred him, but also served as a motivational tool. He realised that anger was fuel for him, and he channelled that into his performances for Argentinos. Within a few days of his devastating World Cup disappointment, he starred in a 5-0 win for Argentinos Juniors over Chacarita, scoring two and assisting two others.

His desire to fight his way up, added to his focused anger over his World Cup snub, helped propel him to become better and better. In Argentinos, he had a team that was also fighting continually against the odds; a small fish in a big pond, the footballing metaphor of Diego himself: youthful, small in stature, always fighting his way, always battling his corner.

With a fired-up Maradona, Argentinos’ form picked up, pushing them to fifth in the Metropolitano in 1978, their young attacker the top scorer with 22 goals. With that, further international recognition came his way, initially through the youth team, with senior coach César Luis Menotti heavily involved. It was at the 1979 World Youth Championship, in a squad building towards the 1982 World Cup, that he first came to global prominence.

Shortly before that global breakthrough, Argentinos had declared Maradona non-transferable. However, this prompted the obvious question of how a club of their limited means would manage to pay for Maradona in order to keep him, especially in view of the offers that were by now regularly streaming in domestically and from overseas. A deal was struck with Austral, a domestic airline, to sponsor Argentinos’ shirts, which increased the revenue sufficiently to keep Maradona in the short-term at least. Without that, the Argentinos Juniors story, and indeed the story of Maradona playing in Argentina, would have been a significantly shorter one.

In the 1979 Metropolitano, he scored 22 goals to finish as joint top scorer, a feat which propelled Argentinos to joint second place with Vélez Sarsfield. They had to play a deciding playoff, but Maradona watched from the sidelines as his teammates lost 4-0, disciplinary trouble in a friendly just beforehand leaving him suspended for the big match.

When not in disciplinary trouble, the goals kept on coming: 12 in the 1978 Nacional and 25 in the 1980 Metropolitano, both as top scorer again, keeping his inexorable rise on track. He missed out on a title playoff again, this time through illness, and again Argentinos lost in his absence. It was another disappointment for Maradona and Argentinos, but for a club of their size to come second in a national championship was a remarkable achievement that had come about largely thanks to their still-teenage superstar. Soon after, Maradona would score his 100th goal in early 1980, when he was still only 19.

Further evidence of Maradona being spurred on by anger came in a decisive clash with Boca Juniors in the 1980 Nacional. The Boca goalkeeper, Hugo Gatti, was quoted as saying that Maradona was a good player but overhyped, and that he was “a fatty”. Naturally, Gatti claimed to have been misquoted, and attempted to smooth things over by saying as much to Maradona ahead of the match.

No matter the truth of the matter, though, Maradona used the alleged insult to inspire his performance. He scored four goals past an overwhelmed Gatti, sending Argentinos through to the Nacional quarter-finals at the expense of the larger, grander club. The Boca fans, appreciating the standout performance from the star being formed in front of them, sung Maradona’s name – an act that stirred a profound feeling in Maradona, a burgeoning love that would have a significant effect on his future.

Maradona would again miss the decisive games in the Nacional for Argentinos as the national team came calling, taking part in the Mundialito tournament in Uruguay. It was the start of 1981 and Maradona’s time at Argentinos Juniors was almost at an end. He was rapidly outgrowing them, and the need to move to a club more befitting his new stature was becoming increasingly apparent.

River Plate had already made a significant offer, and the temptation to join the likes of Ubaldo Fillol, Daniel Passarella and Américo Gallego must have been substantial. Had he done so, a club already dominating the domestic scene would likely have ascended further still. Boca, meanwhile, were in financial difficulty and were playing poorly. Maradona, though, was becoming far more at home fighting the odds than having them stacked in his favour. It was the way he liked it, what brought the best out of him. Where, further down the line, Napoli would be a better fit than Barcelona, so too were Boca a better fit than River.

There were press reports claiming Maradona was on his way to Boca, reports which Maradona claimed in his autobiography were planted by his own agent to stir Boca into action. When Argentinos Juniors played River around that time, he was insulted from the stands for seemingly turning them down. It made things more certain in his mind, but with Boca lacking the funds to buy him, a loan deal was struck initially, with payment to follow in due course.

For Argentinos, this was far from ideal. Not only were they losing their star man but they were also missing out on a windfall transfer fee from River, though there would be a subsequent payment from Boca. This was partially mitigated by a hastily arranged friendly match between Boca and Argentinos, Maradona’s last appearance in the red and white, where he played the first half for his old club and the second for his new.

The manner of his departure, and the effect it had on Argentinos, a small club punching significantly above its weight, meant there would be a few run-ins between Maradona and Argentinos fans in the future, but the club that had nurtured him had to let him go. It had been a beautiful beginning but the young maestro was now too big for the place where he discovered his ability to channel his anger as a fuel, and to use his skills to dominate opponents. The tone of his future career had been set, and would never leave him, but Diego Maradona’s time with Argentinos Juniors was at an end.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 05:17:55 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2019, 05:17:09 PM »
The Five Years at Argentinos Juniors that propelled Diego Maradona to Greatness
By Aidan Williams (thesefootballtimes.co)

Diego Maradona’s time with Argentinos Juniors began when he was eight. One of his childhood friends, Goyo Carrizo, from the Siete Conchitas (Seven Little Pitches) – a barren, hard ground when the young boys of Villa Fiorita played – had gone to train with Argentinos. When the coach, Francis Cornejo, was looking for new blood to come for a trial, Carrizo, one of the best players in Cornejo’s young team, spoke up. “Sir, I’ve got a friend who’s better than me,” he said.  “Can I bring him next week?” When he got a positive response, Goyo asked Diego, who was keen, naturally.

This should be Siete Canchitas. Una concha is a completely different animal. ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »
There's a documentary on HBO on Maradona, it really gives you an insight on his life during his years in Italy in the 80's and the WC in 86 and 90. He was bigger than a rockstar in Naples and the people treated him like a God, you can see given the accomplishments he helped the club achieve. Also the Italian fans were racist as hell, some of their chants during games towards Napoli were astonishing :o

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
There's a documentary on HBO on Maradona, it really gives you an insight on his life during his years in Italy in the 80's and the WC in 86 and 90. He was bigger than a rockstar in Naples and the people treated him like a God, you can see given the accomplishments he helped the club achieve. Also the Italian fans were racist as hell, some of their chants during games towards Napoli were astonishing :o

There's also a recent one on National Geographic, not sure if it is the same.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 14, 2019, 02:58:14 PM »
Suddenly ah bunch a younguns are appearing claiming to be Maradona's offspring. His lawyers are busy.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
Football legend Maradona has died
JELANI BECKLES (NEWSDAY).

FOOTBALL legend Diego Maradona, 60, has died. Arguably the greatest footballer of all time, the Argentine had had health complications for a number of years.

Maradona led Argentina to the 1986 World Cup title, ending his career with 34 international goals in 91 appearances. His most memorable goal came against England in that World Cup, dribbling from his own half to score a sensational solo effort.

Maradona made his full international debut at age 16, against Hungary, in 1977.

During his illustrious playing career, he played for several prestigious clubs, including Barcelona, Napoli and Boca Juniors.

Every Napoli player tonight wearing the #10 shirt to honour Diego Maradona 🙏

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2020, 08:43:58 PM »
Big respect to Napoli. HBO has an excellent documentary on Diego Maradonna where they give insight to the life of Diego, the footballer and Maradonna the celebrity. It shows how his life turned upside down with the nightly partying and drugs through the influence of the mafia in Naples. What was impressive was how he turned Napoli into a European powerhouse when they were considered to be a joke in Italian football.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2020, 07:27:18 AM »
Shaka, Yorke, Hart pay Maradona tributes.
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express).

THE death of football maestro Diego Maradona has prompted millions of tributes to pour in for the former Argentina captain, rated the greatest player of his generation and one of the very best ever footballers the world has produced.

And figures in local football have continued to add their voices to those mourning his death. Among them have been former national coach Stephen Hart and 2006 FIFA World Cup players Shaka Hislop and Kenwyne Jones, all of whom gave tribute on social media.

Hart said: “Diego personified every child with a ball’s dream of how football should be played. His caress of the ball was as mesmerising as what he did with it after. Diego brought romance to the game!”

Former Newcastle, West ham United and T&T goalkeeper Hislop reflected on both Maradona’s football skill which saw him win everything at club and national level, and his human frailties, which included a long history of drug addiction which even saw him being sent home from the USA 1994 FIFA World Cup due to a positive test.

“Diego Maradona was both genius and human in equal measure. He was courted by kings and a knight for the impoverished. He was capable of brute strength but yet played the game with an artistry unequalled. His life and career were the highest representation of the beauty and responsibility of this game, but also its pressures,” Hislop wrote.

“(The year) 2020 has taken a lot from all of us, and has done so again. Ray Clemence was a childhood idol of mine. But this year has also provided opportunity to take pause and reflect, to reminisce, and remind ourselves what’s important, and now, the difference this game has made in all our lives.”

A man of few words at times, Jones simply said: “S.I.P to the legend that is Maradona, condolences to your family and thank you for the joy you brought to football.”

Dwight Yorke: Thanks for the moments Diego!

I am indeed saddened by the passing of arguably of the best players of our lifetime. Diego was a larger than life sort of figure. We grew up wanting to be like him as a player. He inspired so many of us with his magical displays on the football pitch. It was hard not to like him and not admire what he was as a footballer who gave us so much memories and joy.

I had the opportunity interact with him on a few occasions and what a privilege it was, the last time being the FIFA Legends match leading up to the FIFA Best Awards in Zurich in 2017. We played on opposing teams in a most memorable game amongst friends.

A great talent that will live on forever. RIP

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:31:06 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
Big respect to Napoli. HBO has an excellent documentary on Diego Maradonna where they give insight to the life of Diego, the footballer and Maradonna the celebrity. It shows how his life turned upside down with the nightly partying and drugs through the influence of the mafia in Naples. What was impressive was how he turned Napoli into a European powerhouse when they were considered to be a joke in Italian football.

I was surprised by that move to Napoli. I thought it would be either, AC, Inter or Juve, not Naples.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »

I was surprised by that move to Napoli. I thought it would be either, AC, Inter or Juve, not Naples.
Yea it was a slap in the face move by Barca to teach him a lesson it felt like, and the fact they prolly didn't want to send him to a big club that would've been dominant with him on the team.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2020, 07:07:41 AM »
Diego Maradona Doctor Under Investigation In Soccer Legend's Death
By Jaclyn Diaz, NPR

Police searched the home and offices of the personal doctor of deceased soccer legend Diego Maradona, amid questions over his medical treatment.

Argentine prosecutors announced Sunday they are investigating the death of Maradona as well as his personal doctor, Leopoldo Luque, five days after the former player's death.

Maradona reportedly suffered a heart attack Nov. 25 at his home following surgery that took place weeks prior to relieve swelling in his brain. He was 60. Luque was the neurosurgeon for that procedure.

Police raided the offices and home of Luque outside Buenos Aires Sunday, according to Buenos Aires Times. Police took information related to Maradona's medical history, computers, notebooks, and other documents.

The investigation stems from questions that were raised by Maradona's family over the circumstances surrounding his Nov. 25 death, prosecutors said Sunday.

Maradona's lawyer, Matias Morla, had posted Thursday on Twitter, demanding an investigation into the soccer legend's death. His focus was over the slow response time for emergency services after they were called to assistance the ailing Maradona, he said.

No charges have been filed against Luque.

Luque, during an emotional news conference Sunday, denied any wrongdoing. He called Maradona an "unmanageable" patient, but emphasized his love for the man.

"You want to know what I am responsible for?" Luque asked rhetorically through tears at the news conference. "For having loved him, for having taken care of him, for having extended his life, for having improved it to the end."

Luque said Maradona refused to go to a rehabilitation center following his surgery, and instead chose to recover at home. Luque said he "did everything could."

The death of Maradona, who is considered a national hero in Argentina, devastated thousands in the South American country.

Leopoldo Luque denies wrongdoing as Maradona death probe heats up
Buenos Aires Times

The home and offices of Diego Maradona’s personal doctor, Leopoldo Luque, were raided on Sunday as the investigation into the late football legend's death took a dramatic twist.

In scenes broadcast live on national news channels, two locations in the City neighbourhood of Belgrano and Adrogué, Greater Buenos Aires, were searched by police, with a number of items taken away.

Luque, Maradona's personal doctor, then appeared on national news channels, granting an impromptu press conference, at which he denied any wrongdoing and said he did "everything he could, up to the impossible" for the late footballer, describing him as an "unmanageable" patient.

Earlier in the day, prosecutors in San Isidro said they were investigating Luque for involuntary manslaughter after meeting with members of Maradona's family. Almost simultaneously, local 24-hour news channels began showing police officers raiding the doctor's surgery and home.

A statement from the prosecutors' office later said they had begun analysing material gathered and clarified that "no decisions have been made at the moment regarding the procedural situation of any person." It added that officials had seized items related to Maradona’s medical history, including computers, notebooks, prescription pads and other documents.

Concerns

The probe was triggered by concerns raised by Maradona's daughters Dalma, Gianinna and Jana over the treatment he received for his heart condition at his home in Tigre, north of Buenos Aires, judicial sources said.

Maradona died of a heart attack on Wednesday aged 60, and was buried on Thursday at the Parque Jardín Bella Vista cemetery on the outskirts of the capital.

"Our investigations are ongoing, we are talking to witnesses including members of the family" of Maradona, a source close to the San Isidro investigation said.

"The clinic had recommended that he go elsewhere to be hospitalised, but the family decided otherwise. His daughters signed for him to be discharged from the hospital," said a family member, on the condition of anonymity.

Later in the day, Luque (no relation to Maradona's former Argentina team-mate of the same name), gave an emotional televised press conference.

"You want to know what I am responsible for?" the 39-year-old doctor asked between sobs. "For having loved him, for having taken care of him, for having extended his life, for having improved it to the end."

The doctor said he did "everything he could, up to the impossible" and considered himself a "friend" of Maradona and saw him "as a father, not as a patient."

Luque had posted a photograph of himself with Maradona when the former player left hospital on November 12, eight days after the doctor operated to remove a brain blood clot. Maradona returned home to Tigre where he received round-the-clock medical care and could remain close to his daughters.

"He should have gone to a rehabilitation centre. He didn't want to," said Luque who called Maradona "unmanageable."

'Nothing to hide'

Luque said he did not know why there was no defibrillator in case of a heart attack in Maradona's home in Tigre, and made clear that the home care was not his responsibility.

"I am a neurosurgeon," said Luque. "I am the person who has been taking care of him. I'm proud of everything I've done. I have nothing to hide. I am at the disposal of justice."

Maradona's lawyer, Matías Morla, had called for an investigation into claims that ambulances took more than half an hour to reach the star's house in response to an emergency call on the day of his death.

Luque said an ambulance should have been parked outside. "A psychiatrist had asked that there should always be an ambulance in front of his house. I don't know who is responsible for the fact that there was no ambulance," he said.

Diego "was very sad, he wanted to be alone, and it's not because he didn't love his daughters, his family, or those around him," Luque said. "He was brave."

A judicial source told AFP that no official complaint has yet been filed.

"The case was initiated because he is a person who died at home and no one signed his death certificate. It does not mean there are suspicions or irregularities," the source said, requesting to remain anonymous.

A preliminary autopsy report established that Maradona died in his sleep at noon on Wednesday of "acute lung oedema and chronic heart failure."

The prosecutor's office is awaiting the results of toxicological tests on Maradona's body. The three prosecutors working on the case have requested his medical records, as well as recordings from neighbourhood security cameras.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:25:50 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2020, 07:42:47 AM »
Echoes of Michael Jackson and the challenges of navigating those waters. This situation has been building to 'this' for a minute, although Maradona's attorney is supportive of the physician.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2020, 08:24:07 AM »

There's also a recent one on National Geographic, not sure if it is the same.

Just noticed yesterday that National Geographic Brasil (A Furia de Deus) and National Geographic Latinoamerica (La Furia de Dios) have released a documentary on Friday or Saturday. Not seeing any indication that it is officially available in English. They are on YouTube. The one referred to above may be the same; not sure.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 08:25:49 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »
Who is really the king of football — Pele vs Maradona
By Patrick Horne (T&T Guardian).

Dear Editor

It often galls me when a footballer - other than Pele - is referred to as the greatest ever, despite overwhelming evidence of Pele's supremacy in this regard. Statistics and achievements guide us to accurate decisions, and when the aforementioned are unparalleled, then, and only then is the title of “greatest ever” deserved. Brazilian legend Pele's statistics and achievements are unmatched! Ditto the intangibles such as leadership on and off the field, influence on the game and so forth.

In an article in a local newspaper on Nov. 27, 2020, (not Guardian) Trinidad and Tobago senior men's national team coach, Terry Fenwick, referred to recently-deceased Argentine football great, Diego Maradona, as “the greatest ever”. He also called Maradona the “best player the world has ever seen in football.”

To label Maradona, the “greatest ever” shouldn't be determined by one's fancy when Maradona's statistics and achievements pale in comparison to Pele's. Let's compare the players' careers: In World Cup play, Pele is still the only player to win three World Cup titles (1958, '62, '70), compared to Maradona's one (1986); the Brazilian is the youngest World Cup player and scorer (age 17 in Sweden, 1958) versus Maradona's first World Cup (age 22, 1982, Spain). Both players won the FIFA Golden Ball award as the best player in a World Cup tournament (Pele, 1970 and Maradona, '86), but Pele led Brazil as the first nation to win the World Cup three times to permanently retain the Jules Rimet Trophy.

Fenwick played for England in the '86 World Cup and recalls Maradona's second goal versus England in that tournament - when he dribbled past several England defenders to score - as the “best ever in world football.” This is debatable, because most who saw the highlight reel of a 17-year-old in the '58 World Cup receive a pass on his thigh, chip the ball over the head of the close-marking defender, spun off that defender and struck the volley shot before the ball hit the ground to score one of his six goals in four matches in the tournament, may think otherwise.

In all internationals, Pele outscored the Argentine by a whopping 43 goals; he racked up 77 in 92 internationals while Maradona reached 34 tallies in 91. In club play, Pele's 643 goals for Santos FC is unsurpassed for a club player. In an unimaginable career that spanned two decades, the Brazilian registered 1281 goals in 1363 matches on the way to becoming the first player to be declared a national treasure, by his country, untouchable to foreign clubs.

Pele, who turned 80 last October 23rd, was awarded Brazil's Gold Medal, was voted Footballer of the Century in 1999 by the IFFHS (International Federation of Football History and Statistics) and was named Athlete of the Century by Britain's Reuters News Agency. Other awards include the Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire and the BBC's Lifetime Achievement Award. Pele was named the Athlete of the (20th) Century by the National Olympic Committee.

Nick-named “The Black Pearl” for his valued stature in the game and universal popularity, Pele became soccer's worldwide ambassador. His visit with Santos FC to Lagos, Nigeria in 1967, stopped a civil war in that African nation; enemies stopped the killings to watch “The Black Pearl” in action.

At age 73 in 2013, Pele was awarded the FIFA Ballon d'Or award, the annual award bestowed on the best club player in Europe. When the award was opened to all players, then FIFA President Sepp Blatter recognized that had he played in Europe, Pele would have been a Ballon d'Or winner. At the awards ceremony, Blatter said of Pele,” When we think of football, we think of his name above all others. No other player has had such an influence on the sport or touched so many people. His verve and skill will never be forgotten.”

Very importantly, in a world where black achievements are marginalized, it is imperative that black footballers know the truth - the facts - about the black man who overcame miserly surroundings to stand alone at the pinnacle in their game. This is a powerful inspiration for black youngsters.

Editor's Note:

Patrick Horne is a T&T national who resides in the USA and is the author of the book, Black Pioneers of the North American Soccer League (1968-84).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2020, 08:23:02 PM »
A rebuttal is tempting.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2020, 01:03:31 AM »
‘Diego was like a Shakespeare play; he was THE man!’ Hart on meeting Maradona.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

“[…] Diego was larger than life and he couldn’t go anywhere and relax. I’m sure it must be like that with Cristiano [Ronaldo] and Messi and Pelé. They have no lives.

“You have to see it to believe it… It was unbelievable to think someone has to live like this, has to go through life like this…”

HFX Wanderers head coach Stephen Hart, a former Trinidad and Tobago and Canada national team head coach, talks to Wired868 about his meeting with iconic late Argentina football star, Diego Maradona:

Wired868: You might be one of a handful of Trinbagonians who saw Diego Maradona play live. Tell us about that.

Stephen Hart: It was World Cup 1994. Argentina was playing Nigeria. You sort of held your breath in anticipation because he was making a return to football… It was a special occasion for everybody because he was making his comeback and he was larger than life.

Wired868: What do you remember of him on the field that day?

Hart: He just had an awareness of everything around him; a complete sort of awareness of teammates, [opposing] players. He was an ‘in command’ type of individual, in the sense of always wanting to be on the ball in every part of the field. He was a maestro. Just the way he carried himself, he had something about him. Even when he began coaching, he would always walk with his head high.

You would never see Diego with his head down; he would have his head held high, chest out. His body language was always that of a competitor, that of a leader, that of a winner. That day [at the USA World Cup], you could sense that even with teammates around him who were stars in their own right, like [Gabriel] Batistuta, etc, you could tell that he was the man. There was just no question.

Wired868: Long after, you saw Lionel Messi up close when Trinidad and Tobago played Argentina. How do you compare the two, in terms of their mannerisms and approach to the game?

Hart: I don’t think you can compare the two in terms of mannerisms. Messi is just pure football. He just looks like someone who wants to play, enjoy his football and leave. Whereas Diego, he was just different. It is hard to explain. Messi is… I don’t want to say unassuming because he is also larger than life from a footballing context; but Diego was the ultimate competitor. You got the feeling that he was fighting for an entire nation.

Wired868: Was there anything about Maradona and his technique that stood out against Nigeria?

Hart: Everything! (Laughs) He could use the inside of his foot, the outside, the heel, everything. Everything! For me, he was beyond technique. All the greats are beyond technique; it is more about their vision and their intellect—how they use their technique in game situations—that stand out.

Wired868: Was there any internal conflict for you as a Brazil supporter on that day?

Hart: No, no, no. (Laughs). I can admire a footballer. You grow up with Brazil and the love for that jersey; but Maradona? (Widens his eyes) You appreciate footballers regardless of where they come from. I was a big admirer of Philippe Vorbe from Haiti and yet we had that constant battle with them [in the 1970s]. Nah, no conflict.

Wired868: That Nigeria match was Maradona’s last competitive game for Argentina. How did you feel when you found out after that he failed a drug test [after the match]?

Hart: I just remember feeling a sense of disappointment. When I heard it was a diet drug… I know there are rules and regulations that you have to respect, but I felt like: really?! That’s how he is going to go out?!

It was almost a feeling of being betrayed [when you’re looking forward to] seeing one of the great players in the game return. I sort of sympathised with him to be honest.

Wired868: And there was another time you saw him play?

Hart: He had returned to Boca and I went to see him play in Buenos Aires. But he was not the same. He was carrying on his rebellion, but he was not the same.

Wired868: And then you met him as a coach…

Hart: As Canada coach, I took the team to play Argentina in Buenos Aires in 2010. After the game, I went to tell him good luck in the Copa [del Mundo], and through a translator he said: ‘come, come in the dressing room away from the vultures’. (Laughs) He was funny. He had a real hate relationship with the media, even though he appeared to love the limelight.

So he took me into the Argentina dressing room and he insisted that all his players come and shake my hand and show the head coach of a country the respect he felt was deserved [even though they just beat us 5-0]. That was rewarding. I seldom ask footballers or coaches for a photo. But Diego and Pelé, yes; and George Weah because he complimented me! (Laughs)

Carlos Bilardo was in the dressing room as well at the time. He was his advisor and obviously he was the [Argentina] coach in 86. I told Bilardo I was an admirer of his team from 1986 and he said thank you for that; but he was very much to the side, because Diego was the centre of everything. It was quite a zoo, quite a mess. I remember looking at him and saying I don’t ever want that to be my life.

I remember Diego asked me what I thought of his team and I told him I liked how his team was playing, and it was true. They were fluid. In fact, they were absolutely flying. He just allowed them to play. There were no big set of tactics really.

I said we didn’t take the best Canada team there because it was not a Fifa date, so it was difficult [to get the players]. And he said thank you for not injuring any of the players. (Laughs) I told him the guys looked like they are playing for you and they look very, very comfortable, and as though they understood fully what they had to do.

I remember Messi did not play. They said he hurt himself before the game in the dressing room. But they had [Carlos] Tevez and [Gonzalo] Higuain and [Angel] Di Maria. I remember [Gabriel] Heinz was in an interesting battle with Dwayne De Rosario and he gave no quarter; and Maxi Rodriguez was controlling things. But it was really the movement of Tevez that was causing us no end of difficulty.

And then they called a sub and who else but [Sergio] Aguero comes on. By that time we had tired of chasing the ball, and [Aguero] twists the defence inside out and scored with one of his trademark chop to the left and bang…

We started off well and we had our moments but they wear you down. They were patient. And I remember when they scored a couple goals the crowd started to sing—but not for the players. They were chanting: Diegooo, Diegoooo…

You can image what the Estadio Monumental is like when it is packed and everybody is carrying on. You are aware of what it is like to be in a real lion’s den.

Wired868: You said it was like a zoo. What do you mean?

Hart: You would not believe what it was like outside the dressing room. If I say there were 200 reporters, I’m probably under the number of media that was waiting there. Diego was larger than life and he couldn’t go anywhere and relax. I’m sure it must be like that with Cristiano [Ronaldo] and Messi and Pelé. They have no lives.

You have to see it to believe it… It was unbelievable to think someone has to live like this, has to go through life like this. Everywhere they went and in any country, there is no escaping it. But in an Argentina [the sight of Diego] was like blood in the water for sharks.

Wired868: What stands out for you about Diego?

Hart: Diego was like a Shakespeare play for me. I am not going to judge him for his lifestyle. I purely admire him for what he brought to football. I think being left footed made a difference. I remember when I saw Mario Kempes and that style of very direct, penetrative dribbling—it was very different from anything I had seen before. And then Diego came along and he was very similar but he could also drop deep and be creative, very much like how Messi is.

[…] And of course for Diego it was the time of man marking. But Diego’s power! Even though he was maybe five foot five, he was an absolute physical specimen. He would just run through tackles. You couldn’t knock him off the ball; he would stay on his feet if he felt it was to his advantage.

I was shocked at how powerful he was. He was elegant, yes, graceful, maybe. But power—a lot of power.

Wired868: Was it difficult as a coach when you’re telling players about the importance of being two-footed and they could say: but look at Diego…

Hart: Very few of the great left footers are two footed. It is very rare that you see that. [Ferenc] Puskas? No. Kempes? No. Diego? No. Messi? Messi could use his right foot but he is always much more left footed.

You try to encourage a young player and tell him you don’t have to be two footed, but when the ball comes on your weaker foot it shouldn’t let you down. You should be confident enough to make the play and confident enough to take the shot [with your weaker foot].

But I remember a quote from Puskas and he said if I had taken the advice to make my right foot better, my left foot may not have been that good. And that probably sums it up the best.

Wired868: How would you rank Maradona among the greatest to play the game?

Hart: He was certainly the greatest of his generation, and one of the greatest of all time. But I do not like to compare people from different generations.

Wired868: Would you like to say anything in closing?

Hart: No, I think that’s everything… Actually, did you see the documentary of Maradona coaching in Mexico? There is a line in that when he was asked: ‘do you have any regrets in your life in football?’ And Diego said: ‘sometimes I wonder how good I could have been if I didn’t do drugs’.

That for me is heartbreaking. But it is the story of so many great artists, unfortunately.

Videos

Remembering Diego Maradona: football legend dies aged 60

Diego Maradona ● Craziest Dribbling Skills Ever ► HD

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2020, 03:03:15 AM »
This argument will never die. People born in the mid 50s and after,  straddle both their eras. We mostly saw Pele in his prime thru newsreel and later video. We saw Maradona in his prime in real time. We saw the best of Cruyff in real time. Those who like Maradona would say he won the WC single handily, but Pele needed superstars around him. Like Argentina does produce shithongs. Really! 3 of the top 10 players ever are from Argentina. DiStefano, Maradona and Messi. just like Michael Jordan had shithongs around him when the Bulls won 6 NBA. Argentina may have just as good or better players than Brazil, but the Brazilian brought "Magic" to the game. And Pele was of that  "Magic" era.

Pele was a bona fide STRIKER. Diego was a bona fide attacking MID FIELDER. Different positions. Pele would not be as an affective midfielder as Diego. And Diego could not play as a striker like Pele. As a matter of fact, Pele and Maradona combo would have been the best. Messi-CR7 combo would have been the best also.

The younger generation would say Diego, the older would say Pele. I say both, with Pele slightly ahead.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:06:28 AM by Deeks »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2020, 01:11:19 PM »
This argument will never die. People born in the mid 50s and after,  straddle both their eras. We mostly saw Pele in his prime thru newsreel and later video. We saw Maradona in his prime in real time. We saw the best of Cruyff in real time. Those who like Maradona would say he won the WC single handily, but Pele needed superstars around him. Like Argentina does produce shithongs. Really! 3 of the top 10 players ever are from Argentina. DiStefano, Maradona and Messi. just like Michael Jordan had shithongs around him when the Bulls won 6 NBA. Argentina may have just as good or better players than Brazil, but the Brazilian brought "Magic" to the game. And Pele was of that  "Magic" era.

Pele was a bona fide STRIKER. Diego was a bona fide attacking MID FIELDER. Different positions. Pele would not be as an affective midfielder as Diego. And Diego could not play as a striker like Pele. As a matter of fact, Pele and Maradona combo would have been the best. Messi-CR7 combo would have been the best also.

The younger generation would say Diego, the older would say Pele. I say both, with Pele slightly ahead.

Deeks,
 I really LOVE this perspective. Well said. Good balanced take.

We also tend to prefer the superstar of our era.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2020, 04:23:41 PM »
We also tend to prefer the superstar of our era.

True dat!!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 10, 2020, 05:50:26 PM »
Just remembered in the US WC, Said Al Owairan scored a goal just as brilliant as Diego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxDNewTtlXU

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 10, 2020, 06:16:48 PM »
Just remembered in the US WC, Said Al Owairan scored a goal just as brilliant as Diego.

Always found that goal to be underrated or understated ... especially since he ran through the spine of the team.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 10, 2020, 07:51:29 PM »

Always found that goal to be underrated or understated ... especially since he ran through the spine of the team.

I think so too. Funny thing, I had tickets for that game and sold it to my mechanic. I went to the other games. That Saudi team was real good. They gave Holland a real run for their money. The US WC was real good. Hot like hell in that RFK cauldron that summer.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2021, 12:47:57 AM »
Seven medical professionals charged with homicide in death of Diego Maradona
Chris Cwik
Yahoo Sports

Seven medical professionals were charged with homicide in the death of soccer legend Diego Maradona, according to ESPN.

Maradona died in November, two weeks after having brain surgery. He was 60.

Following Maradona's death, an investigation was launched. Prosecutors charged seven people in the death, including his neurosurgeon, according to ESPN.

Leopoldo Luque, the neurosurgeon who performed a successful brain operation on Maradona, and psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov, who treated the former Napoli star, are among the seven individuals charged. The two have denied any wrongdoing.

Prosecutors have asked that the individuals charged with homicide not be allowed to leave Argentina.

Medical board said Diego Maradona's medical team acted 'reckless'

Prosecutors also had a medical board review the actions of Maradona's medical team to determine how it handled the situation. The medical board found that Maradona's medical team acted in an "inappropriate, deficient and reckless manner" with Maradona. Leaked audio between Maradona's doctors and entourage also suggested Maradona was not treated properly leading up to his death.

Members of the medical team, including two nurses, a nurse coordinator, a doctor and a psychologist, were also charged in Maradona's death.

If found guilty, those accused could face eight to 25 years in prison.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2021, 02:04:32 PM »

I saw that goal as it happened.  Hear nah, ah bawl out when he scored.....still one of the top 10 goals in WC history....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>