April 23, 2024, 08:22:35 PM

Author Topic: LA Galaxy admit Beckham interest  (Read 3536 times)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
LA Galaxy admit Beckham interest
« on: November 06, 2006, 09:18:44 AM »
bbc.co.uk

Really cyah see this happening in de near future...

LA Galaxy admit Beckham interest 
By Matt Slater 

Signing players of (Beckham's) stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction, not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America

Alexi Lalas
Los Angeles Galaxy
The Los Angeles Galaxy have confirmed they are interested in signing David Beckham if the former England captain fails to renew his Real Madrid deal.

Out of contract in Spain at the end of the season and no longer a first-team regular, the 31-year-old midfielder is believed to be considering a move.

"There are thousands of clubs out there that would love to have a player of his calibre," said Galaxy boss Alexi Lalas.

"And the Los Angeles Galaxy is certainly one of them."

Interview: LA Galaxy boss Alexi Lalas

Beckham, who played against the Galaxy for Real in a pre-season game in 2005, has already said that he would like to end his career in the US.

"I've one year left at Real, and maybe two more after that, but things can change in football and the American league does interest me," said Beckham.

"I want to be part of a country that is passionate about sport. And I've got my academy in LA, which is important to me because that is my life after the game."

But when he made those comments in April he was still a fixture in the Real first team and captain of England.

Things have changed considerably for the former Manchester United star in the intervening months.

Dropped by new managers at club and country, Beckham is now stalling on extending his stay in Madrid and believed to be reconsidering the final chapters of his playing career.

Beckham's Real Madrid displays are little more than cameos now
As well as the Galaxy, Celtic, Spurs and Israeli club Maccabi Netanya have been reported as possible destinations for the high-profile star.

The two British clubs, however, have recently distanced themselves from a possible move for Beckham and the prospect of the player going to Israel seems remote.

Speaking to BBC Sport, Lalas, the Galaxy's president and general manager, made it clear that Beckham would suit his team, signal their intent to compete on the world stage and be good business for Major League Soccer.

"For many people the Los Angeles Galaxy are looked upon as the jewel of MLS," he said.

"We play in the best stadium, we have had incredible success over the history of the league and we have had great individual players and great teams. There is a tradition of excellence.

"All of this leads to this race to become the first 'MLS super club', if you will.

"That is something we aspire to and in order to do that you have to have quality players, a direction and passion, a good coach and credibility domestically and internationally.

"Signing players of (Beckham's) stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction, not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America."

When asked for a firmer statement of intent regarding a possible bid for Beckham, Lalas was careful not to say anything that could be regarded as 'tapping up'.

"A move for Beckham is not something we need to discuss at this point because he's under contract with Real," he said.

"But if that changes, and there's an opportunity, of course we'd be interested."

Brand Beckham attempts to break America at the 2003 MTV Awards

The former US international did, however, admit that the Galaxy's owner, sports conglomerate Anschutz Entertainment Group, has a close relationship with Beckham.

His academy shares a home with the Galaxy just outside LA at the 27,000-seat Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

Lalas also said that with the Galaxy missing the MLS play-offs for the first time in 10 seasons he was planning a major overhaul of the team during the close season.

One possible stumbling block for a Galaxy attempt to sign Beckham would be the salary cap rules that exist in the MLS.

The rules were introduced when the league was set up in 1996 to ensure a level playing field and prevent any repeat of the excesses that brought down the North American Soccer League in the early 1980s.

But Lalas confirmed that the 12 team owners are due to discuss a loosening of these rules, a move that would make marquee signings more likely.

"We recognise that when opportunities that will benefit the entire league come along we have to be able to make adjustments," he said.

"I feel that going forward there will be the ability for the individual teams to do something like (sign a player of Beckham's stature)."

What remains to be seen is if Beckham feels his days as first-team player for a major club - and country - are genuinely over.

Despite the huge strides made by American soccer and the MLS a move to the US would still be seen as an admission that his career is winding down.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Re: LA Galaxy admit Beckham interest
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 09:59:23 AM »
Beckham, who played against the Galaxy for Real in a pre-season game in 2005, has already said that he would like to end his career in the US.

"I've one year left at Real, and maybe two more after that, but things can change in football and the American league does interest me," said Beckham.

"I want to be part of a country that is passionate about sport. And I've got my academy in LA, which is important to me because that is my life after the game."

I could see this happening, the MLS need to try their best to make this happen.  Right now going to the MLS for big players is like being on Sureal Live for actors (sorry Shaka), if Becks where to play in the MLS, it would raise the stature of the league and more big names would follow in the twilight of their careers.  Every team that plays the Galaxy would benefit at the gates in games that Beckham plays.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 10:14:33 AM »
Not to mention the shirts ! anybody can say what a galaxy shirt looks like ? well with beckham the question would be ..anybody never seen a galaxy shirt ?

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:18:33 AM »
Not to mention the shirts ! anybody can say what a galaxy shirt looks like ? well with beckham the question would be ..anybody never seen a galaxy shirt ?
Yellow with a green stipe diagonally from right to left...
only cause Tyrone Marshall brother has kicked ball with us sometimes on Sundays and i seen him wear one.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 12:06:20 PM »
looks how things is change in a few months eh?

from england captain & RM star to has-beenism.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 12:57:23 PM »

SAINT ONE DAY AND FORGOTTEN THE NEXT.

If becks don't get a contract back in the EPL like Kanu and Sol Campbell I think a move to the MLS would truly mark the end of his career and the BECKHAM era. Any move to an Asian League spells football oblivion

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 01:02:46 PM »

SAINT ONE DAY AND FORGOTTEN THE NEXT.

If becks don't get a contract back in the EPL like Kanu and Sol Campbell I think a move to the MLS would truly mark the end of his career and the BECKHAM era. Any move to an Asian League spells football oblivion
it will be a sign of the end of his career for sure, but not the end of the Beckahm era by any means.  The amount of endorsements, and paparazzi  and appearances will go up for him if he end up in LA.
Beckham on Leno
Beckham at a Lakers Game
Beckham seen on Redeo Dr.
etc..

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 01:08:08 PM »
No doubt! Off the field he is a marketing magnet. But as far as active football it's very uncertain

This would be the right time to get into acting so he can ride the wave of popularity :D

Offline rowdy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 02:13:47 PM »
I cannot image that he will move to another club. If they really want him to stay, he will be a regular soon again.

Real wants to extend - "Becks" remains cool
England star kicker David Beckham is everything else but content with his sporty situation with the Spanish record master Real Madrid and holds back himself with the extension of his contract which is running out at the end of the season.
The former captain of the "Three Lions" wants only to sign if he gained again a regular place in the team. The is reported by Reals director of sport Predrag Mijatovic in an interview with the Spanish television.
"We want him to extend"
"We want him to extend and negotiations took place already. From our side there is no problem ", says Mijatovic. But Beckham still hesitates.

"He would like to continue, but only, if he plays. Therefore he wants to wait and see whether he can return to the first team." In this season under the new coach Fabio Capello, Beckham only did three league games from the start. Also in the 1:2-defeat on Sunday against Celta Vigo he only  came in in the 65th minute when the game was 1:1. Since 2003 the 31-year-old is being signed  with the "royal ones", during this time however he still won no title.

Meanwhile the American soccer club Los Angeles Galaxy stated its interest in signing the English football star. "Momentary he has still another contract with Real Madrid. But if it changes and there is a possibility, we are of course interested ", said club president Alexis Lalas to the BBC. Already in April "Becks" explained that he could imagine a career end in the United States.

http://www.gmx.net/de/themen/sport/fussball/spanien/3166058.html

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 04:00:43 PM »
nuff woman will go to beckham games if he go MLS.

woman in the states know bout beckham but eh now nothing bout football.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 04:14:04 PM »

I could see this happening, the MLS need to try their best to make this happen.  Right now going to the MLS for big players is like being on Sureal Live for actors (sorry Shaka), if Becks where to play in the MLS, it would raise the stature of the league and more big names would follow in the twilight of their careers.  Every team that plays the Galaxy would benefit at the gates in games that Beckham plays.

True dat Mr Mc, if only we cud get back ah team from south Florida back in de MLS, it go be nice, we will get tuh see all dem big players, even we own Shaka. After de Miami Fusion, it look like salt fuh we down here.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 04:51:18 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 06:33:57 PM »

True dat Mr Mc, if only we cud get back ah team from south Florida back in de MLS, it go be nice, we will get tuh see all dem big players, even we own Shaka. After de Miami Fusion, it look like salt fuh we down here.

i still canno understand how Florida of all states cannog sustain at least  mls team, especially south fl...im  baffelled

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 05:16:32 AM »
Where is all this talk abt the MLS going...Beckhma doesn't need to play football to make money...The only reason Beckham would be going to the US is Hollywood (movies)..Beckham staying in Europe..Men watching fox sports and hearing the maan talking abt possibility for soccer growth in the US is so huge and mls talk only coming up...Beckham have some good years ahead of him..MLS is only sh*t talk..

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 05:48:55 AM »
I almost certain he will. It benificial to him, and all others involved in a sense. His flirting with hollywood, he has an academy there, the star boy status, the money, the lifestyle all appeals to him. Many of these reasons motivated his move to real in the first place. Plus he has marketing appeal that will encourage the MLS all around. It very possible.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 06:11:29 AM »
I almost certain he will. It benificial to him, and all others involved in a sense. His flirting with hollywood, he has an academy there, the star boy status, the money, the lifestyle all appeals to him. Many of these reasons motivated his move to real in the first place. Plus he has marketing appeal that will encourage the MLS all around. It very possible.

Doh forget de wife ...she could be looking at a movie or rejuvenated music career too ! beckham at superbowl, lakers game, as someone mentioned, the MLS would grow substantially if that was to happen. Like when the original becks and pele went there !
dont rule out the lure of holliwood and disneyworld etc. Posh could hobnob with the rich and famous etc.
As someone said becks doesn´t need money but maybe a new challenge will do ! done the EPL and spanish league already, cant learn Italian ...MLS here we come !

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 09:02:59 AM »
If Beckham joins the mls that will benefit everyone....

If the mls can develop, it will be the best thing for the Concacaf...it is the only league in the west that is really open to everyone and we players all have a good chance of making a team....
Warrior For Life !!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 09:16:05 AM »

so it would be considered a geriatric league
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 09:24:10 AM »

Imagine if right now, they had a Hislop, a Yorke, a Beckham, a Sherringham, a Latas.

I would certainly watch more games than i do now, which is none.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 09:27:07 AM »

Imagine if right now, they had a Hislop, a Yorke, a Beckham, a Sherringham, a Latas.

true
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »

I think 'a Latas' would bring attention to that league

Americans like flash over substance and fundementals in their sport (i.e the dunk, the crushing home run or the hail mary pass)

Dey does done consider "soccer too boring"...so a set peice man like beckham might not wake anybody up

But Latas  givin men roly poly and spanner might get him a national gatorade commercial...yuh never know
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 09:53:30 AM »
only time bekham comin north america is when he ready to stop play for england

no england manger pickin no man in d mals
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 11:39:50 AM »
let Beckham go he will whip in some nice crosses for Glen

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 09:21:21 AM »
How low alluh really feel Beckham confidence is??? The main reason ppl does do this job is for the family...The man go really uproot he family just to play in the MLS??..ANd doe say the man go go alone..Cause the last time he was alone it almost end in divorce...The wife..america is only 5 hrs away from England...He would never make the amount of money he making now..I feel he status would just fall if he play in the MLS..Right now he status high cause americans know the face not the ppl..I mean the non football following fraternity...

1]; } ?>