April 20, 2024, 01:45:28 AM

Author Topic: Was wearing shin pads mandatory?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Was wearing shin pads mandatory?
« on: November 07, 2006, 08:17:39 AM »
My wife bought me collection of WC DVD's and ah started watching it last night....It has highlights of the group games and finals from 1974 to 2002...
I noticed many players wearing no shin guards, I always thought that it was mandatory from since then, can anyone enlighten me???

Great watching Platini,Martin O neil, Stopyra, Kempes, Socrates, Junior, Rossi etc.. Ah now finish the first, 2 more to go...

Thanx
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 09:05:18 AM by Tallman »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the masses...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 08:50:30 AM »
My wife bought me collection of WC DVD's and ah started watching it last night....It has highlights of the group games and finals from 1974 to 2002...
I noticed many players wearing no shin guards, I always thought that it was mandatory from since then, can anyone enlighten me???

Great watching Platini,Martin O neil, Stopyra, Kempes, Socrates, Junior, Rossi etc.. Ah now finish the first, 2 more to go...

Thanx

was not always law, fifa introduced it fairly recently...look at rivelino, Socrates, etc ..you see socks down.
I guess maradona contibuted to this beng aopted when it was... from the knee down ..... if you wanted to stop him !

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the masses...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 09:11:24 AM »

Thanx

was not always law, fifa introduced it fairly recently...look at rivelino, Socrates, etc ..you see socks down.
I guess maradona contibuted to this beng aopted when it was... from the knee down ..... if you wanted to stop him !

The way I recall it... they made shinpad mandatory after de 1990 world cup.... possibly in 92 i think
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Was wearing shin pads mandatory?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
Shin guards weren't mandatory until  '87 or 88.  The fear of open wounds, blood and HIV had a lot to do with the change in the laws of the game.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 08:39:19 AM by Lightning »
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:56:22 AM »
they made it Mandatory for WC 1990
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 10:15:06 AM »
Thanx... It kinda weird looking and seeing them with socks roll down to the ankles... When I moved to the US, them men playing 7 a side with Shin pads.. I did not even bring mine, and ah had to go and get a pair quick because they would not let me play....They should have shind pads to protect the calf ah always getting kick from behind...
Anyway thanx everyone for the enlightenment...Ah cyah beieve it is so recent that it has been implemented.

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:24:42 AM »
Thanx... It kinda weird looking and seeing them with socks roll down to the ankles... When I moved to the US, them men playing 7 a side with Shin pads.. I did not even bring mine, and ah had to go and get a pair quick because they would not let me play....They should have shind pads to protect the calf ah always getting kick from behind...Anyway thanx everyone for the enlightenment...Ah cyah beieve it is so recent that it has been implemented.

find a place to play with less Bajans...yuh eh go get so much tackle from behind.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 01:49:34 PM »
LOL...Bimblast doh play where I play... ;D

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 02:35:50 PM »
samo--if ya doh mind meh askin..
what dvd's it was...the exact name plz?

frmo eurosport??

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 02:48:16 PM »
I will check when ah get home and let you know...
 It is basically highlights of the past WC... Ah was young then but ah still used to watch the games, now seeing them fellas now bring back some good memories. Actually a guy I work with his father played for Poland and was top scorer in the 74 WC...When I met him I asked him if he was related to the great Lato, and he said it was his father... The son never played and is not really interested in football at all.. That must be hard for his father, but watching Lato and Boniek ripping men on the field was good. The best so far is when MAradona dance pass about 7 Englishmen and score, and I am not a MAradona fan, but an English supporter...

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 02:49:21 PM »
Thanx... It kinda weird looking and seeing them with socks roll down to the ankles... When I moved to the US, them men playing 7 a side with Shin pads.. I did not even bring mine, and ah had to go and get a pair quick because they would not let me play....They should have shind pads to protect the calf ah always getting kick from behind...Anyway thanx everyone for the enlightenment...Ah cyah beieve it is so recent that it has been implemented.

find a place to play with less Bajans...yuh eh go get so much tackle from behind.

Allyuh men not easy, nuh!!

Adidas is meh brand, but back in de day it was really hard to beat a nice pair o' Puma S.P.A. King wit no shin pads and de socks roll dong jess right.......Maradonna style. (but not if yuh have a BIG  foot)  :devil:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 04:52:13 PM »
Shin guards weren't mandatory until  '87 or 88.  The fear of open wounds, blood and HIV had a lot to do withthe change in the laws of the game.

As far as I know this explanation is correct but I think it was introduce sometime in '86.It was the awareness of HIV after Rock Hudson death dat brought some major concerns worldwide.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 04:53:53 PM by royal »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 07:24:21 AM »
In de hey days of Napoli, I remember that Alemao did not play with shin pads. So it had to be in the 90's

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 09:09:38 AM »
Actually, this is the correct answer.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 10:32:16 AM »
Actually, this is the correct answer.
Correctumundo. De amendment was made in 1990.

Law IV - Players' equipment (introduction of shinguards)

The basic compulsory equipment of a player shall consist of a jersey or shirt, shorts, stockings, shinguards and footwear (plus pertinent precisions regarding the shinguards).
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>