April 27, 2024, 10:40:42 AM

Author Topic: Ramnarine: I quit! - Ria gives up world title belt  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ramnarine: I quit! - Ria gives up world title belt
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:25:26 AM »
what the ministry of sports really good for?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161048264

"I HAVE a world title that is now of no use to me," said Ria Ramnarine, just before dropped her Women's International Boxing Association (WIBA) mini-flyweight (105 pound) belt into a garbage can.

Yesterday, the 28-year-old Chaguanas boxer announced that she had relinquished her world title belt, accusing Government, the media and boxing officials of discriminating against her, since winning her world title a year ago with a controversial victory over American Yvonne Caples.

"Finally, you have succeeded," Ramnarine declared to her critics.

"I quit!!"

However, she quickly added that athough relinquishing the world title, she will still remain active in the sport and may also resume her kick-boxing career as well.

At yesterday's press conference, held at Flex Appeal Gym, Independence Square, Port of Spain Ramnarine was especially critical of the Ministry of Sport, which she felt had not given her enough assistance.

She said it was very difficult to understand how other boxers and promoters get in the vicinity of hundred of thousands of dollars at the snap of their fingers, whereas she had to beg and plead from months before for a little assistance from the Ministry.

"Mr Roger Boynes, our honourable Minister of Sport, has blatantly refused to meet me on every occasion, but he always has time for everyone else including born-again Trinidadians who conveniently came back home only after I won my world title," she declared.

Ramnarine, T&T's first female world champion, feels that many in Trinidad and Tobago are not pleased with her winning a world championship and she is aggrieved that she has not been given the type of financial assistance she expected.

She said having given up a good paying job at National Flour Mills (NFM) as a process plant operator to pursue her boxing career, she was now unemployed.

"To become that champion, I painfully worked my way up the rankings and made all the necessary sacrifices. I gave up my social life, I gave up my career as a process plant operator, I gave up furthering my education and I spent many long hours in the gym, day after day, month after month, year after year.

"When I finally fought for a world title, most of the financial burden was borne by my coach and I. We always thought that when I won the title most of the financial struggle would be over."

Instead, Ramnarine said after a year and a half of being run around, she was informed by the Sport Company of Trinidad & Tobago (SPORTT) that she did not qualify under its elite athlete programme.

Ramnarine further added that after a year, three meetings and many promises, she is still waiting for $12,000 promised by the Ministry of Community Development, Culture & Gender Affairs.

"As a world champion, I did not ask for much from the Government. I didn't ask for a house, piece of land or a car as most people do. I simply asked for a stipend to assist with my training expenses."

Another Ramnarine grievance is not winning the First Citizens 2005 Sportswoman of the Year title, for which she was nominated.

"I am at a loss how my good friend Candice Scott, who placed eighth in a championship, was voted Sportswoman of the Year over T&T's first female world boxing champion," said Ramnarine.

In her parting salvo, a defiant Ramnarine said, regardless, no one will change the fact that she remains Trinidad and Tobago's first female boxing world champion.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ramnarine: I quit! - Ria gives up world title belt
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:02:06 PM »
That real sad....must be incredibly frustrating for de poor lady

What sport boynes studying so...only cricket or wha

Cause not to long ago..yuh did have to twis he arm inj de miedia for de soca warriors to get ah lil money
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 12:39:57 PM »
That real sad....must be incredibly frustrating for de poor lady

What sport boynes studying so...only cricket or wha

Cause not to long ago..yuh did have to twis he arm inj de miedia for de soca warriors to get ah lil money
this is y i does complain. all trini governments does jump on de band wagon after the athelets acheive fame
it real ridiculous
steups.
roger boynes is a bam bam
she damn right.....
make it known
 look dem ootballers catchign they ass to get they money...so farless for poor ria
sigh
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 02:26:49 PM »
"In her parting salvo, a defiant Ramnarine said, regardless, no one will change the fact that she remains Trinidad and Tobago's first female boxing world champion."
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 03:16:20 PM »
que sera sera.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »
She did not have to drop the belt in the garbage tho ,WIBA didn't do she nuttin ,even tho i know it was done for effect .

TrinInfinite

Ria Ramnarine Gives up World Title bc of Racism by the Government
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 06:10:49 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article?id=161048264

Alot of people are saying its racial discrimination by the government, bc scott got the award over ria when ria was the world champion... what allyuh think?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 05:13:11 PM »
I think we need to take this with a dose or reality.

This is a fighter who won the World Title under very dubious circmstances.

http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:VeLMmB7xl34J:www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports%3Fid%3D80452859+ramnarine+caples+boxing&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3

It was a split decision at home in South TT, and EVERY ONE, except her corner called it a robbery decision.

She's a tough fighter who with the right management and financing perhaps could have gone far.

But Candace Scott did a helluva thing...Ria, tough fighter that she is, got a hometown decision.

My heart does go out to her though, Boxing is a tough sport, and u are usually ignored by Trinis, unless u persevere against the odds, a la Claude Noel.

Peace,
VB
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 12:02:23 PM by vb »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Angry boxer gets her wish
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 07:08:55 PM »
Angry boxer gets her wish
By Walter Alibey (Trinidad Newsday)

RIA RAMNARINE the former WIBA mini flyweight world boxing champion has changed her mind about retiring from the sport.

This is the latest development after the intervention of Sport and Youth Affairs Minister Roger Boynes on Thursday— two days after the ex-kickboxer thew in the towel on her short career.

Her retirement meant that she would have been able to fight in the future, but not for a world title.

But after a meeting with Boynes, Ramnarine and her manager Bharat Ramoutar made the reversal and announced they will enter the ring soon for international bouts.

According to Ramoutar, Ramnarine will take some much needed rest over the coming Christmas season with her family before resuming boxing in the new year.

He said she will have a number of non-title fights before going for title in another weight division.

Ramoutar also revealed that he wants his fighter to go abroad to training most likely in the United States of America. He noted that these stints will be possible if Government stands firm to their commitment to assist Ramnarine.

On Tuesday Ramnarine had expressed disgust over the lack of support from Government and corporate Trinidad and Tobago. And on Thursday she said she had no regrets since all professional fighters would benefit from government’s promise if Boynes stays committed to what he said he will do to help.

She said the sports minister promised to give equal assistance to “elite” athletes ahead of international competition.

Ramnarine said Boynes appeared unaware of the problems that she had been having and promised to look into the matter.

Ramnarine said yesterday she was tired with everything that was taking place and needed some rest.

Ramoutar however pointed out that he only wanted to do what is right for his fighter. He stressed it can be very frustrating to work hard to prepare for a fight for six years and then just give it up. He thanked Boynes for intervention saying the minister did the “gentlemanly thing.”

“I believe that Minister Boynes seems serious and honest in his approach and really wants to assist in the development of sports in Trinidad and Tobago,” Ramoutar said.

Ramnarine had been contemplating her international retirement for over a year as she struggled to solicit funding to prepare for her fights.

However she was able to get one prominent business in her corner — Ma Pau Private Members Club of Ariapita Avenue, Woodbrook who contributed generously to her preparation for several fights.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 05:55:11 PM »
Steupes.  She trow a tantrum and den change she mind.

Who here surprised?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 07:48:42 AM »

Who here surprised?

I think de tantrum was to bring attention dat she eh gettin de money

Peltin belt in dustbin an ting is all media theatrics

Look like she and she manager plan worked perfectly
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 10:28:59 AM »

Who here surprised?

Steupes.  Lissen.....boxing (i.e regular boxing) is at best a 15th tier sport in T&T.  Women's boxing come after Scalectrix car racin in T&T sporting consciousness.  No offence to anybody but dat is de REALITY.

Somebody who is world champion in racin matchstick in a canal when rain fallin go get more recognition in T&T dan a female world champion in boxing...unless she buss up Laila Ali tail which eh happen.  Daz jes de facts.  She choose de sport...nobody axe she to go and get she teet lick out....she knew before she get een de sport have little or no recognition in T&T.  So doh come now trowin tantrum and cryin crocodile tears because yuh get "world title" and nobody give a shit.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 11:22:02 AM »

Who here surprised?

Steupes.  Lissen.....boxing (i.e regular boxing) is at best a 15th tier sport in T&T.  Women's boxing come after Scalectrix car racin in T&T sporting consciousness.  No offence to anybody but dat is de REALITY.

Somebody who is world champion in racin matchstick in a canal when rain fallin go get more recognition in T&T dan a female world champion in boxing...unless she buss up Laila Ali tail which eh happen.  Daz jes de facts.  She choose de sport...nobody axe she to go and get she teet lick out....she knew before she get een de sport have little or no recognition in T&T.  So doh come now trowin tantrum and cryin crocodile tears because yuh get "world title" and nobody give a shit.
dais not the point...she is a champion. she is supposed to eb recofnised.
look at the shit wah ahppen with bovell now mind u swimming in trinidad aint all dat big either unless u living in de west. he win goal we laud him, now what nuttin.
it has more write ups about mediocre tennis achivements by random people than what ramnarine acheived.
dais jus ridicuilous eh.
being world champion, or competeing for a title means u faced the best, she is usposed to eb recognised for what she has achived for the couuntry.
harken back to leisle "tiger" stwart
and claude noel......
15th tier u say?
people jus jump on the band wargon after as usual.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 06:17:16 PM »
dais not the point...she is a champion. she is supposed to eb recofnised.
look at the shit wah ahppen with bovell now mind u swimming in trinidad aint all dat big either unless u living in de west. he win goal we laud him, now what nuttin.
it has more write ups about mediocre tennis achivements by random people than what ramnarine acheived.
dais jus ridicuilous eh.
being world champion, or competeing for a title means u faced the best, she is usposed to eb recognised for what she has achived for the couuntry.
harken back to leisle "tiger" stwart
and claude noel......
15th tier u say?
people jus jump on the band wargon after as usual.

If you tryin to equate wha she do wit wha Bovell, Claude Noel, & Tiger Fitzpatrick do, it eh make no sense continuin dis.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 01:41:55 AM »

Who here surprised?

:rotfl: :rotfl:

harsh, but true

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 06:24:59 PM »

Who here surprised?

Palos dat is unnecessarily harsh breds. Granted the sport is not a big ting in Trinidad - she still made it a priority to represent her country in an international event and that alone warrants some kinda regard from the government. All dem sacrifices yuh does make fuh dat kinda sport...lack of social life, long hours in de gym...poor girl does prob get mistaken fuh a feller sometimes, fuss she ripped..all dem thing added up not easy. She MUST get frustrated.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 05:49:08 PM »
Palos,

u obviously don't follow the sport in TT.

The  only thing you got right is that it's a bastard sport in TT. Most ppl, tend to have nothing to do with it, until a star comes along. How many ppl on this thread have ever even attended a fight in TT?

However, the sport is experiencing a bit of an upswing in TT. By Dec. there wold have been a total of about nine cards. Pretty amazing by TT standards.

Most promoters want women on their cards in TT, becz they have a better chance of selling out.

I think what is really hurting Ria is that she has potential and can go far. However, she has been largely ignored, yet The Prime Minister made it a point last month of stepping in to financially save Giselle Salandy's fight. He then attended the fight, and said he was supporting a fellow Southerner.

Is Ria not from the South? Why was she being ignored by the Ministry of Sport and yet Salandy can get personal attention from the PM?

If Panday was doing it for Ria and ignoring Salandy, you know what everybody would say. And perhaps this was running through Ria's mind.

Ria needs to be brought along correctly, not thrown to the wolves, like she was in Germany.

Good luck to her.

VB
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 05:51:29 PM by vb »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

TrinInfinite

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 11:45:56 AM »
Palos,

u obviously don't follow the sport in TT.

The  only thing you got right is that it's a bastard sport in TT. Most ppl, tend to have nothing to do with it, until a star comes along. How many ppl on this thread have ever even attended a fight in TT?

However, the sport is experiencing a bit of an upswing in TT. By Dec. there wold have been a total of about nine cards. Pretty amazing by TT standards.

Most promoters want women on their cards in TT, becz they have a better chance of selling out.

I think what is really hurting Ria is that she has potential and can go far. However, she has been largely ignored, yet The Prime Minister made it a point last month of stepping in to financially save Giselle Salandy's fight. He then attended the fight, and said he was supporting a fellow Southerner.

Is Ria not from the South? Why was she being ignored by the Ministry of Sport and yet Salandy can get personal attention from the PM?

If Panday was doing it for Ria and ignoring Salandy, you know what everybody would say. And perhaps this was running through Ria's mind.

Ria needs to be brought along correctly, not thrown to the wolves, like she was in Germany.

Good luck to her.

VB

good point bredda, some people refusing to see the underlying bias tones of the story, very good post boss... :beermug:

1]; } ?>