April 27, 2024, 04:45:47 AM

Author Topic: Luton Boss Launches Sexist Attack  (Read 3440 times)

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Luton Boss Launches Sexist Attack
« on: November 12, 2006, 06:02:25 AM »
NEWELL IN BLAST AT WOMEN OFFICIALS

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectid=18083192%26siteid=62484-name_page.html

MIKE NEWELL launched an astonishing sexist attack on women officials last night.

The Luton boss saw his side denied a penalty by referee's assistant Amy Rayner during a 3-2 defeat by QPR.

And Newell raged: "She shouldn't be here. I know that sounds sexist, but I am a sexist.

"It's bad enough with incapable officials. Girls are not allowed to play men's football, so why are they allowed to officiate in Championship matches? Not park games, but the Championship."

The outspoken boss, already leading the attack on the bungs culture, added: "We have a real problem in this country with this politically correct stuff. It's not the way to improve refereeing and officials by bringing women into the game."

He might want to rethink this statement......especially after he went home to the missus  ::)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 06:05:41 AM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
Re: Luton Boss Launches Sexist Attack
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 07:34:09 AM »

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_method=full%26objectid=18083192%26siteid=62484-name_page.html

MIKE NEWELL launched an astonishing sexist attack on women officials last night.

The Luton boss saw his side denied a penalty by referee's assistant Amy Rayner during a 3-2 defeat by QPR.

And Newell raged: "She shouldn't be here. I know that sounds sexist, but I am a sexist.

"It's bad enough with incapable officials. Girls are not allowed to play men's football, so why are they allowed to officiate in Championship matches? Not park games, but the Championship."

The outspoken boss, already leading the attack on the bungs culture, added: "We have a real problem in this country with this politically correct stuff. It's not the way to improve refereeing and officials by bringing women into the game."

He might want to rethink this statement......especially after he went home to the missus  ::)

i'll have to agree with him on this point
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:50:59 AM by Cowen »
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 07:48:05 AM »

i'll have to agree with him on this point

why? i don't see why a woman can't make a great ref or assistant ref. it's about understanding the laws of the game, having good judgement, being able to stay cool under pressure and being in good shape. why would someone think a woman cannot do these things and do them well?  this is the same as when they used to say black people could never be good at team sports, or could never play in certain positions. Newell is right in that we should not just do the politically correct thing..but to blame bad refereeing decisions on the fact that she is a woman has no basis. Now if every single female ref was always poor..he might have a point. But attacking her like that is really low. Male refs are getting slammed every week for being poor refs and noone would ever hint it's becasue they are men...so why do the same for women? women refs will be just like men...some will be good and some will be poor and even the good ones will have their bad days from time to time
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:49:59 AM by Filho »

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 07:53:56 AM »
Filho ....i'm not saying that women can't be great referee's assistant......all i'm saying is that if the problems with refereeing can be seen with the male appointments ......try and correct those first before bringing in new people who will ust make the same mistakes

ps..... i made an error with the original quote ...so i had to modify
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:08:26 AM »
Filho ....i'm not saying that women can't be great referee's assistant......all i'm saying is that if the problems with refereeing can be seen with the male appointments ......try and correct those first before bringing in new people who will ust make the same mistakes

ps..... i made an error with the original quote ...so i had to modify

I see what you are saying, but to be honest, that doesn't make sense to me. just because there are problems with refereeing, I don't see how not bringing in new blood to the ranks, men or women helps anything. if you were the coach of a team that was performing poorly you would never say I am not going to bring in one or two top class players to make the team better. I think it's the same with refereeing...bring in some new blood if they are good. Besides, the so-called 'referee problem' is not down solely to the refs..I think it's the spoilt, cheating, whinging players and their coaches who are more at fault.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 12:10:38 PM by Filho »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 09:11:41 AM »
Hold  it Hold it!!!!! Think about this. Think about the extension of this logic. So if there are problems with  'white refs, that ought to be fix first before black/chinese/indian/etc.. refs are allowed to ref? I know there are black refs in the game but if we follow this man's logic,  it could have some serious repercussions for people who are seeking an opportunity at all levels of employment.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 12:52:32 PM »
He going and get in real trouble for this!!

He making no sense!!

So they should not have any female doctors, lawyers, engineers etc!!

Should female doctors only treat female patients?

If in fact the assistant referee fails a fitness test, then i think that i se only grounds under which she should not be allowed to play.

If she knows the rules of the games and can make judgements, then why not!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 01:06:44 PM »
why? i don't see why a woman can't make a great ref or assistant ref. it's about understanding the laws of the game, having good judgement, being able to stay cool under pressure and being in good shape. why would someone think a woman cannot do these things and do them well?  this is the same as when they used to say black people could never be good at team sports, or could never play in certain positions.

Well said Filho.  This sort of statement reeks of ignorance.  A lot of the racist and feminist statements have gone to the back room but when ever I hear these guys try to defend their statement, I am immediately reminded that these morons are still out there.  Fifa's Stamp it out campaign is somewhat funny and lacking teeth when you get to realize that these prejudices run deep in many societies.  For most of us living in foreign lands, it is seen on a far more regular basis than many want to admit.

Not every skin teeth is a smile.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 04:17:55 PM »
yeah..sexist.  I like women's breasts, they are easy to talk to.  Newell needs to learn that the only thingworse than a male chauvinistic pig, is a woman who won't do as she is told!!!!

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 05:53:53 PM »
yeah..sexist.  I like women's breasts, they are easy to talk to.  Newell needs to learn that the only thingworse than a male chauvinistic pig, is a woman who won't do as she is told!!!!

:rotfl:

thats so wrong  ;D

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 11:35:11 AM »
Check this poll on guardian.co.uk...

I know it ent scientific but wow the results so far are surprising... OR are they??

http://football.guardian.co.uk/poll/0,,1946928,00.html#ballot

Voting along gender lines maybe?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 01:47:37 PM »
He going and get in real trouble for this!!

He making no sense!!

So they should not have any female doctors, lawyers, engineers etc!!

Should female doctors only treat female patients?

If in fact the assistant referee fails a fitness test, then i think that i se only grounds under which she should not be allowed to play.

If she knows the rules of the games and can make judgements, then why not!!

ah love it!!

Here here!!!

Samuel right...the refs function is more cerebral than anything else.

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 02:05:39 PM »
i have no doubt that women are just as capable as men when it comes to learning and applying the rules of football

my only reservation are volitile fixtures like Chelsea-Barca, Man Utd-Liverpool and so on. Those kind of fixtures are like bombs waiting to go off. I just can't see a female ref being able to control two teams who are intent on kicking the shit out of each other...
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 02:06:05 PM »
why can't a woman play on the mens professional teams.
aren't they being denied the opportunity to earn the same amount of money as their male counterparts?

If a woman good enough to make a team...how u cud deny her the opportunity to earn the same amount and say she have to play for less money on the women's team.
That was the argument that got that lady a spot on the PGA tour...where Vijay Singh say he doh want her there.

If people weren't afraid of the counter argument (why men can't play on women's teams   :rotfl:)...I feel u would hear more about it.

What is the reason there is a gender restriction for the players?  I think it is for reasons that don' really apply to refereeing.  I wonder if he will say they shouldn't be coaches either.  Newell ass is grass.  He go apologize realll fast...watch it   ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 04:27:31 PM »
He already apologize and have to b4 the Board of Directors.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 04:30:50 PM »

He might want to rethink this statement......especially after he went home to the missus ::)

I hope she didnt start crying

1]; } ?>