March 28, 2024, 03:48:53 AM

Author Topic: That Player Who Never Reached Their Potential!?!  (Read 25673 times)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: That Player Who Never Reached Their Potential!?!
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2006, 11:19:45 AM »
Another blast from de past, I thought that Jason Gatt was ah good player (Big Saints man)
Daniel Peters(thought that he would make it big)

Horse, Jason Gatt was real sh!t.  come better than that nah man.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2006, 11:21:25 AM »
Another blast from de past, I thought that Jason Gatt was ah good player (Big Saints man)

I was young back den, I just thought that with more effort on his part he would have made a good player.  So why was he playing on de saints team  ??? ???  If it had better players, Gatt should be riding pine  Yu do think so?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:27:01 AM by dragon1974 »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2006, 11:26:51 AM »

I was young back den, I just thought that with more effort on his part he would have made a good player.  Yu do think so?

Horse, Gatt had a first touch like ah elephant.  But he was big, strong and fast so those mistakes were easy to rectify in the little boy Colleges League environment.

Now if you want to look at push and run men that coulda go somewhere, call a name like Jason Rocke.  He was a beast.  Decent first touch, and could butt like anything. 

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2006, 11:28:18 AM »

I was young back den, I just thought that with more effort on his part he would have made a good player.  Yu do think so?

Horse, Gatt had a first touch like ah elephant.  But he was big, strong and fast so those mistakes were easy to rectify in the little boy Colleges League environment.

Now if you want to look at push and run men that coulda go somewhere, call a name like Jason Rocke.  He was a beast.  Decent first touch, and could butt like anything. 

True, true :beermug:

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2006, 11:28:49 AM »
Russell Latapy.

And, no, I don't mean it as a joke either.

Rusell Latapy never reached his potential?! u hadda be kiddin me
maybe he was never as successful as he could have been
he is looked up from everyone in falkirk...there is a monument in his name...
he is a basically a king
i could go on forever and ever
but i in de middle of doin work

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2006, 11:32:48 AM »
Marvin Raeburn.....bess left footed schoolboy in Colleges league with speed.

Sean Boney....we lorse a beast, he making Onandi Lowe look small.

D Moze brothers....not the keeper or the youngest one, the other two.

Darren Lewis

Brent Rahim...Imagine this man went Newcastle as a schoolboy and pop down

Leslie Fitzpatrick...Went Roda JC as a schoolboy

Martin Robertson...A short white boy for QRC who had a bess touch.

Miguel Mitchel......dat coulda beat and tun up men

Sterling Smith

Jeremy Shortt

Marvin Oliver....when he was younger that was tears.

Wesley Webb another man who just fall orf d radar.

Clint Marcelle

Stern John......what Stern was in Columbus crew...to Forest...to what he is now.

Silvio Spann

Hardest

Anthony Sherwood....he never recover from dat break foot he get in the stadium.

Dwarika...described by the Scottish as the most skilful since Pele. Arnold was d fist player to do behind d back chip pass the length of the field accurately.

Nixon

Richard Theodore....Rip

This fella who in jail for selling drugs Adrian Narine...Narine was lil mad but he was Joe Public big player for a lil while.

The one who get discovered too late...Reynold Carrington

Evans Wise

St Anthonys and Fatima men go remember this indian youth...Gary Gibbings....he had potential. Whatever happen to he?

Touch dais a big big list yuh have dey...but some would differ on a few points...

Marvin Raeburn.....bess left footed schoolboy in Colleges league with speed  ... yuh might want to consider Nixon for that position

The Moze brothers (played with all of them at Saints..) Kevin aka Slapper ..was the best one ..Darragh was probaby one of the best def. mids at CIC..

The memory of Miguel Mitchel ...VERY GOOD PLAYER ... and Wise rippin up the North zone... brings back memories of when Miguel beat CIC whole midfield and defense from right to left side in a intercol match in the stadium (had mih boy Ian Briggs kneeling down along the way) ...and den bark it onto the cross bar!!!  and Wise at CIC grounds wit jus drag after drag!! dem 2 fellas put St. Anthony's on the college league map!! oh gawshhh...memories dred!

Anybody remember when playing in the Stadium as a schoolboy was de shh!?  now everybody running out there regular regular..the stadium come jes like another field now! ...my how tings change!

Sterling Smith ..one ofthe best in his day ..Bertille real check for dis man at the U16 level back in de day...I en know why he en make it...must have been when he went to QRC from Belmont..

Shawn Garcia is a next man that was supposed to blow up...one of the most solid defenders in college history

Sherwood was definitely one of TT best ..the injury done him..even though he is a legend at VCU...

And I will add myself (CIC 88-90) to the list of men that en reach dey potential ..I en giving names because I en able wit some ah de killas on dis site!! ;D

"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2006, 11:35:25 AM »
REAL name pass here boy

Ay touches..dem moze brothers is de redhead freckleface fellahs yuh talkin about??...cyah remember de older one name but he had a stocky build ...he was real good

One ting dat ketch mih doh..is allyuh sayin Kona Hislop played pro ball in england??
I thought he had serious knee injures since CIC ..and finish ball from back then
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2006, 11:36:34 AM »

The memory of Miguel Mitchel ...

Hey did Miguel pass away or something??  Just asking
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:38:07 AM by dragon1974 »

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2006, 11:41:34 AM »

JahY,
wit all due respect I play wit both ah dem men Gatt and Rocke at Saints..even play wit Gatt up here in College...

The man did the best with what he had ...and he workd hard at it...so did Rocke..and college league wasnt no lil boy league back den boss...it has real bruisers out dey fella..you know dat....it wasn't like how it now where half de players nashy nashy!

Gatt is a man that was scoring real crucial goals for saints and he developed his game to where he was a perennial all-conference player in west virginia ..so give respek where it is due....

J. Rocke, once he became his own player (and not solely Colin R younger brother) ...he was a beast ..leading the nation in scoring!  in the start he was all speed (see Thiery H. in his young days) ...then he,with hard work became a pure striker....

If yuh talking Saints forwards ...Kona Hislop was the best I have seen ...not sure how he stacks up to the men in the earlier days ..but in my time...Kona gets the vote!

Gabre Cummings in another man that did not reach his potential ....size was the main problem ..dribbling and shooting ...young Gally was a dan!

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »

Nah nah ..hard luck dey boss...I was not speaking in THAT context ..I should have said "my memory" instead of "the memory"

Hard luck..

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2006, 12:30:43 PM »
Russell Latapy.

he is a basically a king

Bossman, is Falkirk yuh say yuh know.  Since when them is a big team?

Latas had talent to put any Man Utd, Inter Milan or Real Madrid midfielder to shame. 

With his talent it shoulda be one of them big big clubs where he is a king now.  Not an also ran in a bush league like Falkirk.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2006, 12:38:27 PM »
ah another man who use to make headlines is HAYNES from JOHN D big strong mother and deadly in front of goal. He use to terrorize the North Zone back in the day
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 12:40:27 PM by grskywalker »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2006, 12:38:42 PM »
Russell Latapy.

he is a basically a king

Latas had talent to put any Man Utd, Inter Milan or Real Madrid midfielder to shame. 

With his talent it shoulda be one of them big big clubs where he is a king now.  Not an also ran in a bush league like Falkirk.

Lawd  :devil:..ah hope ned or none ah dem falkirk men read dis...dey go cuss blue
Dias kinda harsh

Remember is not talent alone...is attitude too

Latas in he younger days wouildnt take no shit from no manager....people rep as a 'troublemaker' in pro sports will close plenty doors on dem
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2006, 12:41:17 PM »
1. johnnier montano. a colombian midfielder. anyone remember him from back in the day when foxsports used to show the tournoi u20 tournament in france? was a big prospect. went parma at about 17 and then just dissappear.

2. alex. thought he woulda reached further.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2006, 12:42:41 PM »
ah another man who use to make headlines is HAYNES from JOHN D big strong mother and deadly in front of goal. He use to terrorize the North Zone back in the day

Oye, Timothy Haynes went Arima.  He was on the Arima team that clash with Sando tech in what was probably one of teh greatest games EVER in the history of the Colleges League.

Haynes was also on the Strike Squad, but didn't make the final cut.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2006, 12:47:43 PM »
I stand corrected, but do you remember the guy I talking about!! Tallman help meh out. MID 80's VB yuh cah remember ??? ??? ??? He was real poison

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »
sean le gendre{foward} and louis legendre{defender} were two different players who both played for san juan it was louis who was the talented player he played along side kona hislop and the bennet brothers for a national youth team lois was a sweeper capable of playing midfield a very talented player in deed.i believe we are talking of very talented players not players who ran through the college league of which i can name hundreds i am looking at very talented individuals who could have been dwight yorkes if times or circumstances were better .another name from san juan is the former u19 skipper of latapy et al kurt barrington a defender par excellence.people who went to school in the north ,east or south  tend to have biases toward there zones ,i went to fatima in the north but was amazed by daryll edwards and his ability to cross and run the line any one can give updates on the the careesr of these  players even if it was just in a us college i would really like to know what became of rocke ,barrington ,louis legendre ,daryll edwards ,brent bennet ,ian cluazel ,emmerson dubisson,sherwood.even guys like garth pollanais from the original green machine i would love to find out about these guys careers.

Fatman according tuh de lil football brain ah have, Sean Legendre is also called "Greyie", a short stocky breddah, dat was gifted in scoring goals. He was from Gustine, not San Juan. He use tuh play fuh de police team also, if I'm wrong anybody cud correct meh.Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2006, 01:37:23 PM »
 i stand corrected, sean was from gustine sorry and. louis was definitely from san juan he was an exquisite defender. thanks for the correction
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 01:39:03 PM by fatman »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »
I think Kona would have seen his potential come to fruition had he not been plagued by them knee injuries.  He was on Trials with Newcastle when the last one hit him. Injuries also sidelined Sean Constantine, and I will add Roger Guiseppi to the original list, as well as Colin Rocke, Andrew Ali, Ross Russel and Sherwin Besson and my favourite Colleges' League player of all time: Ian Clauzel 

Nice thread.   :beermug:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2006, 04:52:24 PM »

Oye, Timothy Haynes went Arima.  He was on the Arima team that clash with Sando tech in what was probably one of teh greatest games EVER in the history of the Colleges League.

This was the last Intercol Final I saw before leaving home and with the star power on show that night in the National Stadium, I am hard press to think of a better game.  I second this opinion.  MArvin Faustin put tears in meh eyes with that goal to win the game.

Timmo was pure worries.  did not want to come up against him as a defender.  Timmo had speed, decent control and a wicked eye for goal.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline QRC_boy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »
What about Marvin Gordon? And Justin Latapy......Michel Peters for CIC...Hirandi Elie or Hisham Gomes..What about that crap striker that switch from CIC to QRC...Vladimir Suite...He never really do much and never make a National team.....

But I must agree with a man... when I usesd to watch Intercol back in late 80's and into mid 90's men had size. Now if you 5'8" you is a giant men nashy and short....

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2006, 05:36:49 PM »
Russell Latapy.

he is a basically a king

LIKE YOU ENT REALISE HIS AGE
he not fit enuff to make those big sides nemore
so wam to Porto and Rangers ?? eh
Porto was a big side in his days.......and as far as i can remember..Latas scored 30+ goals for them...incl champions leage goals

on closing i will give u a list of all Latapys Achievements as a football.....den u deciede whether he never reached his potential or not

# Scottish Premier League player of the month (August 2006)
# Scotland's Division 1 winner's medal with Falkirk in 2004/2005
# Scotland's Division 1 Player of the Year in 2004/2005
# Bell's Cup winner's medal with Falkirk in 2004
# Nominated for the BBC Scotland “Off The Ball” Overseas Player of the Year in 2004
# Bell's Player of the Month (April 2004)
# Nominated for the FIFA World Player of the Year in 2000
# T&T Olympic Committee Sports Personality of the Year in 2000
# Hibernian's Player of the Year in 1999/2000
# Scotland's Division 1 Player of the Year in 1999/2000
# Scotland's Division 1 winner's medal with Hibernian in 1999/2000
# Hibernian's Player of the Year in 1998/1999
# Portuguese Super Cup winner's medal with Boavista in 1996/1997
# Cup of Portugal winner's medal with Boavista in 1996/1997
# Portuguese Super Liga winner's medal with FC Porto in 1995/1996
# Portuguese Super Liga winner's medal with FC Porto in 1994/1995
# T&T Chaconia Medal Silver (World Cup Squad) in 1989
# Edinburgh Evening News Sports Personality of the Year in 1999
# T&T Footballer of the Year in 1996
# T&T Humming Bird Medal Gold (for Sport) in 1996
# T&T Footballer of the Year in 1989
# T&T Footballer of the Year in 1985
# T&T Footballer of the Year in 1983
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 05:39:51 PM by Warrior till death »

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2006, 06:07:38 PM »

Nah nah ..hard luck dey boss...I was not speaking in THAT context ..I should have said "my memory" instead of "the memory"

Hard luck..

uprisisng...miguel is very ill..not too sure if yuh knew that...but thats what cut short his pro career in canada.
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2006, 06:51:55 PM »
What about Kona Hislop? ( Shaka younger Brother) he was a  real good lefty.
Ian Clausell rule Compre in the 79-81 period.
Timothy  Haynes (Arima)
Coach Osbourne son from Pres. 86

These players all should have done better after their school years.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2006, 06:53:12 PM »

on closing i will give u a list of all Latapys Achievements as a football.....den u deciede whether he never reached his potential or not

# Scottish Premier League player of the month (August 2006)
# Scotland's Division 1 winner's medal with Falkirk in 2004/2005
# Scotland's Division 1 Player of the Year in 2004/2005
# Bell's Cup winner's medal with Falkirk in 2004
# Nominated for the BBC Scotland “Off The Ball” Overseas Player of the Year in 2004
# Bell's Player of the Month (April 2004)
# Nominated for the FIFA World Player of the Year in 2000
# T&T Olympic Committee Sports Personality of the Year in 2000
# Hibernian's Player of the Year in 1999/2000
# Scotland's Division 1 Player of the Year in 1999/2000
# Scotland's Division 1 winner's medal with Hibernian in 1999/2000
# Hibernian's Player of the Year in 1998/1999
# Portuguese Super Cup winner's medal with Boavista in 1996/1997
# Cup of Portugal winner's medal with Boavista in 1996/1997
# Portuguese Super Liga winner's medal with FC Porto in 1995/1996
# Portuguese Super Liga winner's medal with FC Porto in 1994/1995
# T&T Chaconia Medal Silver (World Cup Squad) in 1989
# Edinburgh Evening News Sports Personality of the Year in 1999
# T&T Footballer of the Year in 1996
# T&T Humming Bird Medal Gold (for Sport) in 1996
# T&T Footballer of the Year in 1989
# T&T Footballer of the Year in 1985
# T&T Footballer of the Year in 1983

Boss I think yuh might be missing what some men trying to say about Latas, although your post might be truly in line with the topic.  But when it is all said and done and yuh compare Yorke and Latas on potential and talent and then compare their achievements (yes in a team sport), yuh have to admit that the World has missed out on one of the truly gifted players in Latas.  Hence the argument that he never reached his true potential.  Latas achievements as listed above pale in comparison to Yorke (Just indicate a Champions League Winner and the story done). Yorke has won every cup in England as a core player.  Latas potential is on that type of stage not on running things in the Scottish Premier and First Divisions.  Yorke was an EPL star, recognized any where in Europe as being part of the ManU treble winning team.  I think unfortunately that Latas will always be compared to Yorke in terms of achievement and most men on this site will put him on top of Yorke in terms of potential.  Rightly or Wrongly that is the facts.

Blessings

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2006, 07:23:56 PM »
There must be a reason why big club neva buy latas .... but to say he neva reach his full potential is rubbish... why did he end up in scotland of all places  in the first division with hibernia ... people here have an inflated view about latapy i come to realize.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2006, 08:00:29 PM »
1. johnnier montano. a colombian midfielder. anyone remember him from back in the day when foxsports used to show the tournoi u20 tournament in france? was a big prospect. went parma at about 17 and then just dissappear.

2. alex. thought he woulda reached further.

dwn yuh call ah big name in Montaño there..... that man used to mash up in Fifa 2000 back in de day haha ha haha
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2006, 08:29:07 PM »
i went university with a older gentleman who went cic in the late seventies or so. anytime we start to talk football the man used to be raving about ian "dread dribbler" clauzel.  the man had to have been something. i wish it had some film or something of him in action.

also, dwn, i agree with u about alex, he is nowhere on the map.

what about the young argentine d'alessandro, he was big with river plate but he isnt mashing up the world like he should.

diego is another youth who isnt big like he should be. in santos he was the man, robinho was kinda in his shadow but now you hardly hearing about him, unless u follow bundesliga.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2006, 08:43:38 PM »
I believe the Haynes some of you want to talk about is Brian Haynes, played in the MLS.

Yes Legrende was boss for St. Aug. around 1981, alongside Garth Pollanais, who simply never lived up to  his hype. That's GP ah talking about not Legrende.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline madmonn

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2006, 03:03:50 AM »
i dis agree with several on the list of touches ,just to let you know reynold caqrrington was known by national coaches for years playing school ball wth siparia and after with defence force he was always a wll known footballer,you how ever are right his national appearances came when he was past his best.
I think Reynold 'Hippo Carrington played school ball with Fyzo alongside a guy called Sean 'Laddy' De Souza... who had de wickest fan...Hippo also played for Point Fortin Civic Center, Defence Force as mentioned and then W Connection

1]; } ?>