March 28, 2024, 02:13:10 PM

Author Topic: Seedorf recalled  (Read 6382 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Seedorf recalled
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:28:06 AM »
Seedorf wins recall to Netherlands squad

AMSTERDAM, Nov 13 (Reuters) - AC Milan midfielder Clarence Seedorf has been added to the Netherlands squad for a friendly against England on Wednesday in Amsterdam after two years out of the national side.

Seedorf replaces Ajax Amsterdam's Wesley Sneijder who sustained a knee injury on Sunday in the 1-0 loss to PSV Eindhoven. The Dutch soccer federation said he would undergo a medical investigation on Monday.

The 30-year-old Seedorf, who has won 77 caps, played his last match for the Dutch in Euro 2004.

The midfielder, who won three Champions League finals with three different clubs, said in several interviews last week that he still wanted to play for the Netherlands although coach Marco Van Basten has consistently refused to select him.

'In the last two years I spoke three times with Clarence and explained to him why we didn't invite him,' Van Basten told reporters on Friday.

'Clarence had his chance under five national coaches and never convinced. We chose a new direction two years ago and found no reason to pick him.'

Meanwhile, Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has withdrawn from the squad because his wife is expecting their first child.

The 23-year-old former Feyenoord star will miss the friendly at the Amsterdam ArenA on Wednesday to be with his spouse.

Source : Soccernet.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: BIG Team news!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »
this is excellent news, juss told my uncle, hes very happy to see seedorf back, so am i, he was very good friends with his father... :beermug:

Is there anybody you not family to, play NBA basketball with, or yuh family know?  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:16:07 AM »
this is excellent news, juss told my uncle, hes very happy to see seedorf back, so am i, he was very good friends with his father... :beermug:

Is there anybody you not family to, play NBA basketball with, or yuh family know?  ;D

next ting you know.. allyuh related oui

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:20:11 AM »

Well he did tell meh he have family from South.  Siparia ah tink.  Some red people who feel dem Australian.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 10:21:29 AM »
Allyuh fellahs is some wicked beast oui  :D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 10:34:06 AM »

Is there anybody you not family to, play NBA basketball with, or yuh family know? ;D

i dont know if we have dwens in the family or bucks, but i could find out  ;D :devil:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »
i dont know if we have dwens in the family or bucks, but i could find out  ;D :devil:

Unlikely.  Dat would be quite de improvement on yuh gene pool TI.  8)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 10:45:31 AM »
Glad to see him back.  We go see how it will work out personality-wise with Van Basten.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 10:47:26 AM »
i dont know if we have dwens in the family or bucks, but i could find out  ;D :devil:

Unlikely. Dat would be quite de improvement on yuh gene pool TI. 8)

maybe, maybe not ;D

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Seedorf recalled
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 01:46:09 PM »
Good news man

boss player

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 02:07:55 PM »
van Basten had a right to recall this man for the damned World Cup!  He is going to help Holland qualify for 2008 and I hope he would still be playing at a level to warrant retention on the squad for the tournament.  Maybe not.  He is only thirty, but he already has had a long and illustrious career.  I really hope he stays performing at a high level, otherwise, I see this as van Basten just using him for the short term to secure points for qualification.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 02:28:57 PM »
van Basten had a right to recall this man for the damned World Cup!  He is going to help Holland qualify for 2008 and I hope he would still be playing at a level to warrant retention on the squad for the tournament.  Maybe not.  He is only thirty, but he already has had a long and illustrious career.  I really hope he stays performing at a high level, otherwise, I see this as van Basten just using him for the short term to secure points for qualification.

I does be watching Seedorf play and he still playing like he is 25. He is one of those players who keeps on top of his fitness....the man is a tank. Van Basten lose out if he don't select him once he fit.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 03:12:21 PM »
dred i never see seedorf make ah bad pass yet(well maybe once)de point is, like ah say before, some coaches does be too 'good' for dey own self(see Parreira, Peckerman), seedorf shoulda be on Holland team in worldcup, give thanks he get ah recall, and ah chance to show up stupid Van Basten.....
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 04:07:27 PM »

Well he did tell meh he have family from South.  Siparia ah tink.  Some red people who feel dem Australian.

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 04:37:18 PM »
Happy for Seedorf. Hes a badman

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 06:02:52 PM »
Seedorf is definitely a world class player, it would be great tuh se him back in de Holland team, hopefully it will be a permant move fuh him, all de way tuh 2010. Van Basten exaggerated a bit in my opinion, when he spoke of Seedorf not impressing 5 coaches. I do agree dat for some reason or de other, his club always get de better of his talent. The standard of his games at club level, make you know dat he still have something reserved for Holland, ah guess now is de perfect time in his career, to answer de critics as far as him being in de Dutch team. Edgar "PITBULL" Davids should be in de team also, he may not be able tuh start, but he is great player tuh have in yuh team, due to his experience and driving force from midfield is something dat yuh cud turn to, at any point in ah game.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:05:59 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 06:09:47 PM »
Seedorf is definitely a world class player, it would be great tuh se him back in de Holland team, hopefully it will be a permant move fuh him, all de way tuh 2010. Van Basten exaggerated a bit in my opinion, when he spoke of Seedorf not impressing 5 coaches. I do agree dat for some reason or de other, his club always get de better of his talent. The standard of his games at club level, make you know dat he still have something reserved for Holland, ah guess now is de perfect time in his career, to answer de critics as far as him being in de Dutch team. Edgar "PITBULL" Davids should be in de team also, he may not be able tuh start, but he is great player tuh have in yuh team, due to his experience and driving force from midfield is something dat yuh cud turn to, at any point in ah game.

Agreed about Seedorf..but how you could justify picking Davids when he not even playing for his club. A national team side like Holland should only be calling up match fit players...(actually that should be the aim for all national teams). Not so?

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 06:11:41 PM »

would be great to see seedorf and davids running out for clockwork oranje again...now if only kluivert could shake off the injury bug that is on him.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 06:46:40 PM »

would be great to see seedorf and davids running out for clockwork oranje again...now if only kluivert could shake off the injury bug that is on him.

Ah was in south beach de other day, while ah dey chilling and beating ah few juices, ah came across ah elderly couple from Holland. Ah have ah nasty habit when ah meet foreigners, from ah country dat does play football, ah does ask dem about if dey does follow de game, if dey say yes, well talk start right dey. Any way meh point is dat, this couple is season ticket holders fuh PSV, dey gave meh some very interesting information on Mr Kluivert, however dey did say dat he was looking very sharp, before de injury, and his fans should see de old Kluivert ripping it up again very soon. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 07:13:23 PM »

Agreed about Seedorf..but how you could justify picking Davids when he not even playing for his club. A national team side like Holland should only be calling up match fit players...(actually that should be the aim for all national teams). Not so?

In all fairness yuh correct in ah way about calling players who playing fuh dey club, although ah know some people may disagree wid dat policy. Ah know T&T not in Holland class, as far as recognition in de football world, but is de same national ball, we have players dat get on de starting eleven, dat cah even see injury time sweat fuh dey club. No disrespect tuh Theobald, but he is de quickest one dat came tuh my mind, salt at Falkirk, but he on de starting team at de world cup. This is not always a rule I think coaches should go by, cuz you and I know dat some coaches do have personal issues wid some players, and if de man bad mind, is pure bench fuh yuh, so it is unfair if ah player cud contribute tuh his national team, tuh leave him out cuz he on de bench fuh those reasons. Coaches should treat each situation differently, and make ah decision based on de player's ability tuh help de team. Bless.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 09:32:46 PM »

In all fairness yuh correct in ah way about calling players who playing fuh dey club, although ah know some people may disagree wid dat policy. Ah know T&T not in Holland class, as far as recognition in de football world, but is de same national ball, we have players dat get on de starting eleven, dat cah even see injury time sweat fuh dey club. No disrespect tuh Theobald, but he is de quickest one dat came tuh my mind, salt at Falkirk, but he on de starting team at de world cup. This is not always a rule I think coaches should go by, cuz you and I know dat some coaches do have personal issues wid some players, and if de man bad mind, is pure bench fuh yuh, so it is unfair if ah player cud contribute tuh his national team, tuh leave him out cuz he on de bench fuh those reasons. Coaches should treat each situation differently, and make ah decision based on de player's ability tuh help de team. Bless.

But seriously, when last have you seen Davids play a truly impressive game ?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 09:42:50 PM »

But seriously, when last have you seen Davids play a truly impressive game ?

Tuh be honest, it has been ah while. Ah is ah big man, and eh go lie, I'm one of his fans, so ah being lil bias meh boi  ;), but ah still feel he have something tuh offer Holland, due tuh his ball winning ability. Ok, so who is de ball winner in de Holland team, dat better dan Davids? Bless.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:45:17 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 11:48:11 PM »
 I  don't trust Van Bastard Basten in this at all ... waiting for the foul play ... but still hoping it goes Seedorf's way, if he gets a run.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 08:39:49 AM »

Is there anybody you not family to, play NBA basketball with, or yuh family know? ;D

The man have big links...I swear he said he played basketball with Kobe for tru.. ???

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 11:58:53 AM »
This is a good article on Seedorf from Soccernet. Says in a recent poll, 75% of those questioned, wanted Seedorf back in the National Team. It shows that he was really a difficult character in the past with a couple of examples of things he did that was really abd for the team..but he seems to have matured and he is now a bit of a 'martyr'...because Van Basten has criticized him too harshly and Seedorf has always responded with class...something most would not have expected 2 years ago when 75% of those questioned in a similar poll wanted him OFF the National Team. Although talented, i never really liked him becasue he constantly disrespected his teamates and coaches with some truly weird behavior..but he deserves his second chance. Here's to Seedorf..may he force his way back into the Ducth National team and run de Oranje midfield

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=391747&root=euro2008&cc=5901

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 12:04:15 PM »
..hmm V Basten even hints he made a mistake with Seedorf. Nice move from a clealry very stubborn man.

Source: Soccernet

Similar to the position David Beckham finds himself in with McClaren, Seedorf was among a number of experienced players purged by van Basten when he succeeded Dick Advocaat as coach.

During his two years in charge, Edgar Davids, Patrick Kluivert and Ruud van Nistelrooy have also felt the brunt of van Basten's ruthless streak.

However, in a move which must give Beckham hope of playing for England again, Seedorf has been recalled, with van Basten gracious enough to admit the AC Milan midfielder had proved him wrong.

'When I started in this job I wanted to try to give a few younger players a chance to show me the qualities they have,' he said.

'But over time we have seen that Clarence is still playing well for AC Milan and we are also starting to think a little differently about the players we gave opportunities to before.

'Clarence has earned his chance to play again and he will be in midfield for us tomorrow.'

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 11:39:02 PM »
Man, I read the article and still find the KNVB was cutting their nose to spite their face.  I will readily admit that Seedorf didn't always play his very best football for the national team and i have occaisionally heard the rumblings of there being discontent within the team, at times from more than just Seedorf, and other times there was talk of racial disharmony between a couple of the black players and other teammates or coaching staff.  I ain't so quick to give credence to a people that broutht apartheid to South Africa over no black man, so any complaints about any of their black players, I will take with a grain of salt, if at all.  Furthermore,  if anybody has ever heard of Seedorf having any problems with teammates and/or management at club level please let me know.  However true all the allegations may be, Seedorf ain't the first man to have "dissed" a couple of his teammates and quite frankly, the offenses spelt out in that article don't warrant the lengthy exile from the national team that he has endured especially since he has been very consistent in his club play throughout his career.........he wasn't the only dutch player over the last decade or so to have missed crucial penalties for Holland either.   He should always have BEEN on Holland's roster, even if his lack of form may have kept him on the bench.  Anything else is pure politics, IMHO.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 05:38:32 AM »
Man, I read the article and still find the KNVB was cutting their nose to spite their face.  I will readily admit that Seedorf didn't always play his very best football for the national team and i have occaisionally heard the rumblings of there being discontent within the team, at times from more than just Seedorf, and other times there was talk of racial disharmony between a couple of the black players and other teammates or coaching staff.  I ain't so quick to give credence to a people that broutht apartheid to South Africa over no black man, so any complaints about any of their black players, I will take with a grain of salt, if at all.  Furthermore,  if anybody has ever heard of Seedorf having any problems with teammates and/or management at club level please let me know.  However true all the allegations may be, Seedorf ain't the first man to have "dissed" a couple of his teammates and quite frankly, the offenses spelt out in that article don't warrant the lengthy exile from the national team that he has endured especially since he has been very consistent in his club play throughout his career.........he wasn't the only dutch player over the last decade or so to have missed crucial penalties for Holland either.   He should always have BEEN on Holland's roster, even if his lack of form may have kept him on the bench.  Anything else is pure politics, IMHO.

well said MC..but I hadda disagree with you on one thing. As a manager, if I send a player on to play in a certain position and he goes on the field and purposely disobeys and moves another player out of position to suit his own needs...especially in a meaningful game for the country..He getting subbed off one time if I have any more subs and he getting dropped until he apologize to the team. That is pretty unacceptable behavior for a professional and some serious disrespect to your team. It kinda funny though..hehe...Seedorf is a dread soldier ;D

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 11:15:41 AM »

well said MC..but I hadda disagree with you on one thing. As a manager, if I send a player on to play in a certain position and he goes on the field and purposely disobeys and moves another player out of position to suit his own needs...especially in a meaningful game for the country..He getting subbed off one time if I have any more subs and he getting dropped until he apologize to the team. That is pretty unacceptable behavior for a professional and some serious disrespect to your team. It kinda funny though..hehe...Seedorf is a dread soldier ;D

I will readily admit that, on the surface, that is totally unacceptable behaviour, Filho, and we not in disagreement on that at all.  I just have a strong suspicion that there was some underlying issue outside of football that was at hand when it comes to Seedorf and the Dutch FA, dize all.......but i could be wrong.  I will also admit (if it ain't obvoius already) that I have a bias towards Seedorf.  To me, in spite of all that we have heard was going on, he has always conducted himself (on and off the field) with the class and humility that I try to instill in my charges, not to mention his play at club level.  It would be nice to see a compilation of some of the goals he has scored, (which can be ranked among some of the greatest goals scored on european soil) but he has also makes some passes that would make the "Maradonna to Canniggia" pass look like child's play.  His vision is exceptional and many a time he has left me holding meh head with his passing ability long after the game was over.  Let's hope he can do well for Holland, alot of football fans would benefit from seeing him perform at his best.   
                                                              Respect.   :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Questions and Answers with Clarence Seedorf
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »
December 7, 2009, 7:35 pm

Seedorf Responds: 10 Questions and Answers From Milan’s No. 10

By CLARENCE SEEDORF

On the eve of A.C. Milan’s European Champions League match with F.C. Zurich in Switzerland, and days after his thunderous goal against Sampdoria, midfielder Clarence Seedorf answered New York Times readers’ questions. This is the latest installment in a monthly discussion series with Seedorf. Previous discussions can be found here.

Q.In your opinion, what are the five most pressing concerns plaguing football today? As players, are your opinions heard or even considered? How may the fans help out?

A.1.Lack of transparency.

2. Resistance to use more technology.

3. Market value destruction, with all the high amounts of money to pay for players and there are no ratings, no way to value.

4. Too many games. Lots of quantity, but less quality of the games in general. And this is also linked directly to…

5. Increasing injuries.

These are the five aspects I’m worried about.

I think there’s still a lack of awareness even from players, but sooner or later things will start changing. Players will speak out a little bit more. But first they need to be more organized, to add value to the beautiful game.

Fans show by the questions they’re asking me, that they are already aware. I would encourage them to keep on connecting with their favorite players and myself to spread the word. And be a voice for them. The game is not only about football players but especially who is watching us because they made the sport what it is today.

Q.Hi Clarence. Thanks for your time.

Given the widespread and well-documented use of steroids in other sports (American baseball, for example), do you worry about their impact on professional football?

Second, much has been made of the ongoing investigation into match fixing in Europe. What, if anything, can be done to ensure that the game is an honest competition of 11-a-side?
[/b]-

A.No, I’m not so worried about that. I think in football, it’s not very common to use drugs, and you definitely don’t play better using drugs in football. Maybe other sports where its much more physical.

In football, it’s about the health in general that players should be worried about.

I’ve heard a few interviews about the match-fixing investigation. It’s difficult to control everything in football. The football market is a big market. So to be able to control everything it should be a smaller market. Smaller and, in many ways, better, is what I have been saying for quite a while and what I see in the future is there will some day be a European league – the N.B.A. of football. Right now, it’s just too big to control everything in football.

If they want to control it more, and eliminate corruption, then the government should enter in the game, because as it happened in Italy, in the Calciopoli case in 2006, it went on at the highest stage, and it was eventually a legal case.

If government authorities get interested to help this beautiful game become more transparent, then they are the ones that need to help because I have a feeling it will be very difficult for FIFA and UEFA to investigate things that are not their own home. They can just do so much.

Football is one environment. That it happened in Italy it is not a big surprise that it has happened in other places too. But it goes to my first point I mentioned — a lack of transparency. When there is a lack of transparency, there is space for corruption. The more lack of transparency, the more space for corruption. More and more transparent, less and less chance to be corrupt in this world.

Q.Mr. Seedorf,
It is indeed a beautiful game, and your play has made it even more so over the years.
Some thoughts on the game from an American:

Do you find the system of yellow and red cards to be draconian? Two yellows in one world cup round = a one-game suspension in the next game? Is this fair?

And when a player is red carded and ejected, must the entire team be penalized by having to play with 10 men on the field for the rest of the game?

Thoughts?

A.I think that you can discuss these things and come up with a lot of solutions. I think it is O.K., two yellow cards and you miss a game. In the World Cup, there are only seven games, maximum, so I think it is good. It is better for the game because you will see less hard or stupid tackles and it will protect the offensive side of football. So I don’t have any problems with that really. I don’t see anything that is really negative on this, even the red card.

I think it depends. Is it direct red? Is it double yellow? Is it a tactical foul, or is it a hard tackle? If I just hold the shirt of a guy going for a counterattack — a tactical foul – and I did it twice, and got caught twice, it would be two yellow cards. I would give the guy one game not two games. If it is a hard tackle and a direct red, I would give the guy two games or three.

Here you should have a committee of referees who watch the game on TV and consider the replay and decide with a clear conscience the gravity of the tackle. I would do it during the game, but then we come back to the need for the use of technology. I would do it during the game, because some tackles seem harder than they are at the time. Sometimes you think he didn’t touch the ball, but he touched it completely.

Referees should be helped by technology. It only takes three seconds. I watch football and sometimes you have to wait 5 or 10 seconds just for the ball to be thrown back in the game again when it goes out of bounds. So I think we can wait three seconds to check with this committee of referees who use technology or video replay to help the referee make the best decision possible.

When I talk about technology, video replay, yes, but not only. There is Goal Fantasma (sensor technology) that should be applied for all the lines, but especially goals and off sides. Look at tennis, they’re even using technology more and more in other sports. I go crazy when I see certain sports applying such simple things that add value to the game.

Even let the coach decide when. Give him three calls in each half that he can request to get the replay. Use the moviola, that’s what we call the video replay in Italy. That’s what they do all week on TV. What they don’t use during the game, that’s all they do on TV all week, over and over again. It’s putting pressure on the referees. The referees don’t have an opportunity to defend their judgment or their choices. If it can be justified by video replay or the referee can explain what he’s whistling for, it is an educational opportunity.

If I were a sponsor, I would want them to use some of the things that can be added value to football. I would go crazy as a sponsor, for example, that I have to depend on the eye of the referee, when I spend millions of dollars on a team and the referee can miss something. Fans too. We play with people’s feelings and we play with people’s money. We should try to play less with it.

Q.Hi Clarence, I love the flow and beauty of soccer; however, I’ve recently become exasperated with all the diving, faking injury, and rolling around on the ground in agony. I’ve often commented to my wife that many players, when tackled, react as if they’d been shot by a sniper in the stands. The histrionics have gotten to such an extreme that it becomes distracting. I begin to doubt the game’s authenticity, like watching a pro wrestling match.

Many people want to know what soccer can do to change this. But I want to know how all this is seen by those who play the game. When a player is rolling around on the ground trying to draw a whistle, a card or a penalty, are you as exasperated as I am? Do you think it demonstrates a lack of respect for the game, or — as my wife argues — is it as essential to the game as the ball itself?

A.I totally agree. I feel the same way. And this is not in all countries the same. In England it is much less.

I think it would help to use some rugby rules here. When someone is lying on the ground, let the doctor enter, remove him and let the game go on. It will help because a team will be left right away with 10 players and nobody wants to be at a disadvantage.

And with the diving, even if they were caught by the camera, the referee may miss it. Nothing happens to that player. That is the reality of the game today. If a player is a good actor and he does it at the right moment, he can take it and get an advantage. These are possibilities in the game today. You can’t always blame the player if those are the rules, even if I think the players who do this are wrong and we should be as sporting as possible. It is not part of my game. I get quite irritated even when my teammates do it.

But the diving, it can happen sometimes because you expect a tackle. You sometimes go down to minimize the impact. Sometimes it happens that you dive, but not to get the guy a yellow card, but to avoid a hard tackle. It has to do a lot with the reaction after the diving. When you stand up, move on, and don’t ask for anything, it’s not a problem. But I think it’s quite clear when a player gets up and is trying to get a foul called or get the player a yellow card.

In the last game with Juventus and Inter Milan, I was quite disappointed at one point when both players were hit in one spot and they were both keeping their hands on their faces even though they were hit elsewhere. It is a bit of a lack of respect of the game. It is like you’re acting like a wimp. Don’t be a wimp.

Q.Hi Clarence, When discussing with friends about the Henry’s handball, I tend to get two polarized reactions: one kind of fans says that is unacceptable and they feel the integrity of soccer is at stake; another kind of fans holds that that is “part of the game”. What is part of the game and what is not, from a player’s perspective?

A.This is definitely not part of the game. I think Thierry Henry is one of best players in the world, but I didn’t like his reaction after the goal was scored. He could have at least enjoyed it less. I think the integrity of the game has been touched heavily, even by the decisions made afterward. I don’t want to make a statement on the decisions that should have been made, but it was definitely very questionable for the credibility of this game to have a whole country not being able to make the World Cup. Maybe they wouldn’t have gone to World Cup either way, because France would have scored another goal in a moment, but it made a difference.

I felt an injustice was made and I think the game should have been played again, or something should have happened in that sense. I don’t think it is right for the game. It’s not about France or Ireland anymore. It’s about the game.

I can understand that Henry did what he did because you don’t really think of those things when the ball is so close to your body like that. But it would be something if Henry said to the referee, “I took it with my hand.” Because, it didn’t just touch his hand, he took his hand to it. I would have expected something different from his perspective. But talking afterward is difficult. This situation would have been solved easily with more technology applied to the game at the time.

Let’s just say I’m disappointed. I’m disappointed with everything that happened. I can only see what I can see. It was disappointing and could be prevented. In my opinion, it’s not going to help to put more people out there, even two people on the goal line. You can only see what you can see with the eye. And it costs more to have more people on the ground. Technology would cost less in the long term. The most important thing is keeping it fair.

Q.As a member of the Dutch squad for many years I was hoping you could talk about some of the turmoil that has plagued Oranje in the past, specifically the infighting and rumors of racial tension between players of Suriname descent and the coaching staff. If any of this is true, do you think it kept the Dutch from winning the World Cup? With their recent run of form and the label of the best team never to win what do you think their chances are this year, and are there any of the problems of the past in this squad?

A.No, these type of problems never existed. Simply never existed and still don’t exist. And yes it is a team that could potentially have won much more, and they could potentially win more in the future, but it depends on what they do on the field.

They’ve always tried to make it a racial issue but it has never been a racial issue. The Dutch have performed quite well. World Cup 1998, semifinal. 2000 European Championship, semifinal. Euro 2004, semifinal again. It’s not that they performed badly, it’s just that last step to the final that they’ve not made.

Q.What are your thoughts on implementing a salary cap, or at least closing the financial gap between the big clubs and the smaller clubs in European leagues? Honestly, I get sick of seeing the same three to four teams at the top of the standings every year (La Liga, Serie A, E.P.L., etc.). Don’t you think league play would be more interesting if the top players were more evenly distributed around each league?

A.No, not in football. You have to create a European league and then apply what you’re saying.

And it’s not just salaries. Living in Milan or living in Catania are two quite different things. I don’t think it is something you can apply across the board because it’s not just about the contract, but about where you live. You don’t want to go to places if you can avoid them if there are no international schools for your kids. But if you had a European league, I think, with the big cities that should be involved, and it should be the best of the best, then it can automatically happen, because you can have even competition.

I think if A.C. Milan, Inter and Juventus were playing in the European league, and then you still had the Italian league, you could have something like that. It would be more competitive because A.C. Milan and the others aren’t involved any more and it would be more the same level.

I think that sort of thing could be applied automatically when you have a European league, the N.B.A. of football.

Q.The World Cup draw was held last week. What do you make of the Group of Death?

A.We have seen the group with Brazil and I think that is the tough group. Ivory Coast, if they come out good from the group, we have to keep an eye on them to do quite well. They are not lucky, because last time, in 2006, they were with Argentina and Holland. This time, they have another tough group with Brazil and Portugal.

Also, Italy, on paper, have an easier group, but Paraguay can be difficult. The Dutch have an easier group on paper, but Denmark can be tough. And Cameroon is one of the better African teams. The Americans and the English squad, I think they are the favorites to go on.

Q.You told me that you thought the Africans would play like they have wings. Who are the best African teams?

AGhana and Ivory Coast are the better ones, with the most quality. And Cameroon are a very good team. And Nigeria had been good, but I haven’t followed them very close.

It’s going to be very interesting because I know they will be flying all over the field and rightly so. They have to make their people proud and make the continent proud. And they have the responsibility and joy – I say joy because it really is a joy to make their people proud and play the World Cup on their own continent for the first time.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/seedorf-responds-10-questions-and-answers-from-milans-no-10/?ref=sports

1]; } ?>