March 28, 2024, 10:13:20 AM

Author Topic: TnT Greatest Players  (Read 18646 times)

Offline davyjenny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TnT Greatest Players
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2005, 03:14:32 PM »
A lot of guys talk about Dwight and these guys as good forwards, and they might be, however, I think that their was more opportunity for them than there were for many players that were better than they were.  Having seen and played with or against players like Steve David, Denzil white, Eric White Lybert Duncan, Mikey "pigshit" (sorry I cannot remember his correct name), Ron Laforest, Leroy Spann, Garth Pollonais, Renwrick Jones, Sammy to name few - it is hard to accept Dwight and others as the best we have produced.

NC,you know some real ball players it look as though you from the west base on your comments by the way how come you eh mention nigel clarke. i grew up playing with these guys you have mention before duncan i played with, robert elliot i played with, also  peru and a few others  but duncan was a very aggressive striker but lack the knowledge which kept him back big time. these are players i know personaly we all started playing around the same time frame therefore i know of some of their weakness. good comments though keep it up man nice to know you eh forget these guys.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 05:00:44 PM by davyjenny »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2005, 03:56:49 PM »
Carlton Franco, Dilbert Charlo, Nunes, Son Baptiste is real players yes

Nigel Clark Peru and White were a special generation
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2005, 11:39:43 PM »
De next five.

De late great Russel Teshiera
Stern
Gally.
De Tank
Alvin Corneal
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2005, 02:05:25 AM »
Ian will always be d deadliest
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2005, 02:57:46 AM »
In reply to NC

I used to play midfield.  I was nowhere near dem fellas class but ah was capable enough.  It was difficult to mark dem fellas one on one so basically what we would is try and deny dem space.  Denzil was very sharp...i.e. explosive over a short distance but if you could deny him space, you could somewhat limit his effectiveness.

This is why I say Alan "Peru" Anderson was my personal nemesis.  He make me realise jes how much of a shithong I really was.  Ah knew all de time ah was a shithong....jes didn't know de extent until "Peru" show meh...every single time ah play against he.

"Peru" was definitely de toughest player I ever play against.  He was like a ghost sometimes....one minute he dey in front a yuh....nex...he gone.  Dat man coulda play witout de ball.  And nuff skills to boot.  I have nuff respeck fuh Peru.

Palos:
Yuh ever play against Derek Lewis from Diego Sec an ah tink he play for Trinity to?
Ah find nobody mention him here an ah remember ah sweat with him an he dribble about three men an de ball eh touch de ground once.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2005, 04:27:12 AM »
What I find interesting is, the topic here was/is TnT Greatest Players. With the exception of a select few, isn't it ALARMING that the topic has been centered on players who distinguished themselves in the "Colleges League"? Isn't it a shame that we haven't spoken more of players who gained noteriety in the TTFA/TTFF sanctioned leagues and for the national teams? Yuh see, dat is why to this day, we cyah qualify for ah world cup. Because beyond de colleges league, collectively, we football... ah doh want to vent condemnation.

Other than the colleges league, we can only talk of a handful of player, Dwight, Russel etc, who has done something beyond high school. I remember Earl "Spiderman" Carter had a stint with the Cosmos. Other than that, I am at a loss.

Any comments???
I'll try and seee if i can juggle my menory here,Lincoln phillips,Victor Gamaldo,Gerry Brown.Leroy Deleon,Everad Cummings,Weren Archibald,Richard Chinapoo,Raymond Moraldo,Ian Bain,Alvin Henderson,Steve David etc there are lots more that i can't remember at the moment,the major league they played in was the North American Soccer League,this league introduced Football to America so a lot of the best players in the world though some semi retired played there,we even had a couple guys that played in Canada Cecil Alfred comes to mind Santa Cruz boy.   

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2005, 05:13:52 AM »
I FEEL LERIC ''LOBO'' JOSEPH IS ONE OF DE BEST. I HAD DE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE WATCHED HIM PLAY FUH ASL SPORTS WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND THEN TRAIN AND PLAY WITH HIM IN THE TWILIGHT OF HIS CAREER AT ST FRANCOIS NATIONALS. THAT WAS HIS LAST SEASON OF SENIOR ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL. HE USE TO DO SOME OF THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS THINGS WITH A BALL I HAVE EVER SEEN.
HE WAS ALSO A VERY GOOD COACH IN ALL ASPECTS OF THE GAME FROM TECHNIQUE TO TACTICS AND DISCIPLINE. A VERY BIG TALENT INDEED WHO SHOULD HAVE GONE A LOT FURTHER BUT THEN AGAIN
HE WAS AH RASTAMAN BACK IN DE DAY SO I GUESS THERE WAS A LOT AH FIGHT DOWN BACK THEN.

TALLMAN WHAT WAS HIS INTERNATIONAL CAREER LIKE  FOR T&T?

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2005, 08:22:50 AM »
As far as I know, Lobo never played for T&T at de senior level.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2005, 12:13:51 PM »
As far as I know, Lobo never played for T&T at de senior level.

I think Lobo was from one of the small islands

A lot of guys talk about Dwight and these guys as good forwards, and they might be, however, I think that their was more opportunity for them than there were for many players that were better than they were.  Having seen and played with or against players like Steve David, Denzil white, Eric White Lybert Duncan, Mikey "pigshit" (sorry I cannot remember his correct name), Ron Laforest, Leroy Spann, Garth Pollonais, Renwrick Jones, Sammy to name few - it is hard to accept Dwight and others as the best we have produced.

NC,you know some real ball players it look as though you from the west base on your comments by the way how come you eh mention nigel clarke. i grew up playing with these guys you have mention before duncan i played with, robert elliot i played with, also  peru and a few others  but duncan was a very aggressive striker but lack the knowledge which kept him back big time. these are players i know personaly we all started playing around the same time frame therefore i know of some of their weakness. good comments though keep it up man nice to know you eh forget these guys.

Where you on the 1976 National Youth team. Dubisson, Elliott, Clarke, Bovell, White, Skinner etc.
That was a good youth team but those players did not really represent T&T at a senior level.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 12:28:29 PM by Tallman »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
Palos:
Yuh ever play against Derek Lewis from Diego Sec an ah tink he play for Trinity to?
Ah find nobody mention him here an ah remember ah sweat with him an he dribble about three men an de ball eh touch de ground once.

Yeah..I played against Derek when he Chinas and Grosvenor was runnin tings in Colleges League for Trinity.  Derek was simply BAD!!  He shoulda play a lot more times for T&T than he did.  Chinnas was de star dem times....goalie used to tremble when he shape up to shoot.  He and Derek was real tight.  Both a dem went LIU where if I not mistaken, led them to a title.  While Chinnas went on to rep T&T several times, Derek never got called too often which was a pity.  He was VERY GOOD.  Think he had a lil stint with Chinnas in indoor leagues too but I eh sure bout dat.

One time on Cuevas (fuh anybody who does play ball in T&T..yuh know dat is de STRIP!!) we playin 5 a side and bounce up Derek and he crew.  De ting dat impress me most bout Derek then was how strong on the ball he was....and he wasn't a big fella but yuh couldn't get the ball off him fuh nutting.

Wit respeck to Robert "Zuzi" Elliot...he was de biggest star in de Petit Valley League wit Simeon Road Ball Players.  A real legend dey.  Had big sides like Juba Youths (which was really de Army), Lion of Judah & of course Cocorite Utd etc.  Real players pass through dey..Leonson Lewis...all de Army team....Latas, Juggie (he from up Morne Coco by de field), Mutty Haynes, Eric White, Denzil White etc.  Dah League was wicked....big field....7 a side...no offside and a goalie.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 12:30:57 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2005, 09:50:05 PM »

Among those who follow the sport, there is general agreement about the two best football players the Caribbean has ever produced.  Nonetheless it is nice to see  some men heaping praise on past T&T ballers.  Even if some of the praise is self serving, it is still somewhat educational for some of us (myself included) who might not have  heard of some of the names.  In any case can one really say that the players --- who did not play with or against the recognized stars in international football --- are really among the best players of T&T.  Statistically it is highly probable that the unknown players mentions (    ) are on the same level as ordinary players on the present team, players such as Andrews, Edwards, Theobold, etc.

A past discussion on thereggaeboyz.com forum focused only on Yorke and John Barnes as the possible two best players the caribbean has ever produced. Given his enormous accomplishments Yorke is clearly the best player the Caribbean has ever produced.  Someone mentioned the  ManU team played a role etc.  Look when one is chosen by the leading group of physicist to be a part of a team that would do something special (build an atomic bomb for example), then those who could not make similar teams are really not in the same league.

truetrini

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2005, 11:37:31 PM »
hands down we greatest baller is Yorke.

me eh want to hear about opportunity.

I guess somewhere in South Africa dey have ah black man who coulda be de best ever in fielding, bowling, batting or whatever..but poor soul..he eh get ah chance.

As for Barnes...he is ah Englishman and doh count..regardless wey he born...since he only play fuh Hengland leave eee dey!

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Greatest TT football players of all time!
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2006, 12:43:22 AM »
If you had to compile a list of the top three TT football players of all time, who would you put on that list?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest TT football players of all time!
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2006, 02:10:01 AM »
Ian Clauzel, Brian Williams and Russell Latapy

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2006, 05:55:07 AM »

I have to say Yorke mostly becuase of his record
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:56:00 AM by Flex »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2006, 08:19:47 AM »
Sterling "Bound Tuh Score" Parris, one of de bess players trinidad ever produce but neva get select on the national team bc he was from south, diz meh family, he always tell meh he didnt have a god father dem times, so he couldnt get on de team, bess local player in he days  :beermug:

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2006, 08:20:52 AM »
yorke latas and stern

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2006, 08:28:14 AM »
Sterling "Bound Tuh Score" Parris, one of de bess players trinidad ever produce but neva get select on the national team bc he was from south, diz meh family, he always tell meh he didnt have a god father dem times, so he couldnt get on de team, bess local player in he days  :beermug:

Boss yuh call a hell of a player dey. I had the pleasure of playing with Sterling and for Sterling. he had a bad broken leg in his day but made a successful comeback. Sadly it was a different time in T&T Football. All said an excellent footballer and gentleman
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2006, 08:31:12 AM »

You, like you like dreads......

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2006, 08:56:14 AM »

Boss yuh call a hell of a player dey. I had the pleasure of playing with Sterling and for Sterling. he had a bad broken leg in his day but made a successful comeback. Sadly it was a different time in T&T Football. All said an excellent footballer and gentleman
Ah had a few memorable moments with Mr Parris in DC about 15 years or so ago. His son Joel is a ex-Benedict's man. He came to the park to watch a game, and ended up on the sideline taking over the coaching duties. Very personable and passionate gentleman.
Live large and prosper!

TrinInfinite

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2006, 09:03:34 AM »
joel is in the us navy i believe, las time i was by uncle sterling house in trinidad, he tell meh joel he was in de navy or army in the US, i think this will b one of my future interviews, he indeed was a great player in the south, it was terrible to see him notget selected for the national team, when at a time he was one of the bess player locally, if not de bess  :beermug:

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2006, 09:08:34 AM »
joel is in the us navy i believe, las time i was by uncle sterling house in trinidad, he tell meh joel he was in de navy or army in the US, i think this will b one of my future interviews, he indeed was a great player in the south, it was terrible to see him notget selected for the national team, when at a time he was one of the bess player locally, if not de bess  :beermug:

Waw ...and that makes him among the greatest football players of all time  ??? ???
Maybe i read the thread wrong or maybe we  should start another for the best footballers never to play for T&T ...and that  list would be long

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2006, 09:10:02 AM »

ah eh even realize is all dread ah call.......
Yorke may be TnT's most successful fottballer but i don't think as a forward he could ever be as good as Clauzel was..

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2006, 09:12:36 AM »

Yorke may be TnT's most successful fottballer but i don't think as a forward he could ever be as good as Clauzel was..

You judging a man who play against the greatest teams in World football against an Intercol player. Allyuh is pure genius yes.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2006, 09:19:01 AM »

I doh knoiw why you even bother to respond to that comment. The thread shouda end wid dat clausel line. i wonder if that man knew Clausel was picked for T&T and didn´t make the grade ??

You judging a man who play against the greatest teams in World football against an Intercol player. Allyuh is pure genius yes.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2006, 09:25:43 AM »
You're right I am being judgemental but my opinion is after all my opinion....Yorke at 18 wasn't no Clauzel.

MickeyRat

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2006, 09:27:38 AM »
Dwight Yorke

Men getting tie-up with greatness and success.

Yuh have to be successfu in order to be great.  Nobody else eh do what Dwight do.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2006, 09:33:06 AM »
Cyar pick 1 or 3 man nah. As football is ah team game...One ah the best stoppers ah see, was Sedley, but without Tank he wasn't all that. One ah the best forwards ah see was Archi, buh there were games ah see him play, yuh wouldna know is he on the field. not that he play bad, he jus didn't make nuthen happen for he team...(edit: ah only see him 3 times eh....once as ah oleman ;D)
Ah guess what ah trying to say is, best players depend on who they playing with, as football is ah team game..
It have men who stand out as the best on the field, but the team still get cutass from man an team who not looking no how..so who really better...now entertainment, that is another story...like even if yuh pick say, we top scorer today - Stern, and man cyar get the ball to him or stop the other team....how good you would get to see him, if he only get 3 chance and score 2...Can you say he is the best based on 1 or 2 games or will you judge over a number of defense and corresponding teammates....if yuh then pick yuh best team, yuh might just have to leave out some best players for the position...ppl jus like to compare bout wha better, who smarter, who faster...is ah ppl ting...ok.I not from space...competition good..buh for football,as ah coach, might be best yuh pick ah 22, 2 for every position, and then it have in form and out...prime and overthehill... ah will say one ting, if some of dem fellas had the oppurtunities and training techniques of today...hmmmnn....but woulda be able to make the decisions necessary to be dey best...i.e. leave the other distractions (drugs, more woman, more drink, relatively more social issues etc..)...we will never know..
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:34:43 AM by maxg »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2006, 09:46:24 AM »
You're right I am being judgemental but my opinion is after all my opinion....Yorke at 18 wasn't no Clauzel.

Boss at 18 Yorke was already playing for T&T World Cup squad. Yorke had many qualities that Ian did not possess. Ian could dribble but his overall game left a lot to be desired. Dwight at 18 could not only beat his man with dribbling, but his vision and passing were already quality. His shooting ability was good and he was deadly in the air. All these qualities he demonstrated at the Intercol level and then at the National senior team level.
When ian came to the National youth team in 77 or 78 (not sure of the date), he was not even better than Peru, Skinner, White or Bovell, they were more well rounded
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2006, 10:04:39 AM »

Sterling boy!  he coach me wen i was little youth and used to come in Pres and help out the sides. Used to talk to me bout my grandfather and ting..real cool fella...always wud hail out my family anytime anywhere.
Ent he had coach a girls team in de US as well?
Back in Trini...

1]; } ?>